IGNORED

New Year: My Best Advice In Regards To Audio is...

I have to wonder why this thread is devolving into yet another "snake oil" assessment one? I would hope that others might have some actual advice, and not feel the need to pick on individual silly ideas. And please I am not suggesting for one moment that these ideas work, but that it might be more productive to quit bitching about things that don't...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Does it have to be scotch tape? What about masking tape? Maybe sellotape would sound better?
Nah, not generic enough. How about good old sticky back plastic!

Couldn't resist, apologies to 4est.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

No worries, I am all for some levity, I am just weary of all of the preaching or the extreme examples. I for one, have never heard of an individual that uses those pebbles even though I have seen the Audiogon ads.

Nah, not generic enough. How about good old sticky back platic!

Couldn't resist, apologies to 4est.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Does it have to be scotch tape? What about masking tape? Maybe sellotape would sound better?

I dunno, you know how many of these tweaks are. You have to follow protocol exactly, or they don't work. I'll bet that the tape is very important. People who report poor results with their pebbles probably are using the wrong tape. I wouldn't risk it!

I wonder if the bags of pebbles are polarized. I.E. do they have to be oriented in the signal flow just as they were oriented in the stream from which they came in order to affect the SQ of one's system.

George

I have to wonder why this thread is devolving into yet another "snake oil" assessment one? I would hope that others might have some actual advice, and not feel the need to pick on individual silly ideas. And please I am not suggesting for one moment that these ideas work, but that it might be more productive to quit bitching about things that don't...

The thread hasn't devolved, we're just having a little fun with the idea of "audio pebbles". There's nothing serious going on here about this subject, and I don't see where anyone is "bitching" about anything. :)

George

No worries, I am all for some levity, I am just weary of all of the preaching or the extreme examples. I for one, have never heard of an individual that uses those pebbles even though I have seen the Audiogon ads.

I'm not aware that anybody's "preaching", here, 4est.

George

Frankly, I hope that nobody is gullible enough to actually purchase those pebbles, but I'm sure some have.

George

If I understand you correctly, you are asking why is snake oil mentioned in this thread? The answer is that a lot of audiophiles actually believe that "snake oil" makes their system sound better and a lot of it is expensive, hence the caveat to avoid spending money on it. :)

* audio snake oil is defined as additions to one's systems with dubious scientific or engineering provenance. Examples, ostensibly include: Green ink pens for CDs, cryogenically treated digital clocks plugged into the same outlet as your stereo system, Myrtlewood blocks placed on top of components to make then "sound better", speaker cable lifts, free-form wooden music-stand-like "mobiles" scattered around the room to "break-up standing waves", and, arguably, $10,000/meter interconnects between components. Just keep in mind that one person's "snake-oil" can be another person's "sonic breakthrough".

I'm sorry My bad i wasn't aware that snake oil is very useful. Sorry dude i'm not so good in science, and thank you i learned a lot from you.

Don't believe the hype. Question everything.

Boy Howdy - that is *good* advice.

The corollary is not to take any of the hype too personally. Sometimes it is innocent and harmless, sometimes it is from a source that truly believes in what they are selling, and sometimes, it is from hucksters that want nothing other than your cash. Telling the difference can be irksome sometimes. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein