IGNORED

New Year: My Best Advice In Regards To Audio is...

My best advice for just about anything in the audio world: Don't be intimidated by any one, any thing, or any idea. Especially those ideas that "everybody knows" about! Amazing how often they can turn out to be incorrect assumptions!

For example, if you like your CD Player, don't be intimidated into giving it up for CA. Or if you really like CA, don't believe anyone else saying that a CD Player sounds better! At least, not until you hear it for yourself and agree!

That doesn't mean not to listen to other people, that is the best part of this hobby! Hearing what other people think and do.

But remember, in the end, what you choose in audio, gear, music, software, etc. - should be what pleases, excites, or delights *you*.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you buy something, take at least 6 months before you upgrade it.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Consider DIY. After a little research, it is often not as hard as it may appear at first, and you may enjoy the process. On the other hand, if you know you aren't the type to enjoy this sort of thing, forget what I just said.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Nice idea for a thread Paul. To expand a bit on what you've already said, which I wholeheartedly agree with, is everything is system & room dependent. The WonderDAC2016 might sound phenomenonal in Joe Audiophile's system only to sound uninvolving in Jane I'm-Not-An-Audiophile's system. 2 different systems, rooms, and pairs of ears.

Take advantage of manufacturers' and merchants' trial/no-questions-asked return policies to listen to a prospective component in your own system and room before you make a real purchase commitment.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Take a break from this forum and enjoy life or listen to music.

Not quite but almost...

Image3.jpg

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Don't spend money on snake oil.

Now, if only everyone could agree on what constitutes snake oil and what constitutes a real improvement to one's system. Of course, so many audio companies rely on this lack of consensus for their livelihoods, that if we did all agree, they'd go under! :)

George

Well? Tell us what your best advice is! :)

Please restrict your advice to something at least tangentially connected to the Audio Hobby, and of course, no sniping at other folks. Thanks

-Paul

Just keep in mind that the music is what's important, not perennially chasing one's tail on the upgrade merry-go-round. Be content with a decent system and listen to the music, not the system.

George

This ENTIRE THREAD needs to be made a "sticky" For all the divergent opinions (usually based on rather sophisticated, well reasoned, and in depth analysis) regarding the pursuit of the holy grail of sound on this site....the advice here is amazingly consistent and quite easy to understand to those of us who are part of the great unwashed....

Great idea Paul (even if you are a legend in your own mind - still ROFLMAO every time it think about Alex getting all bent out of shape in one of y'alls back and forths..) and great advice from the posters most of whom are true audiophiles and are in a position to help those of us who are not there...(yet)

Spend more for your DAC than you do on your PC, network, NAS, cables, tweaks, etc., but not more than you spend on speakers. Give DAC quality a careful but sensible priority in your scheme, as opposed to tweaks, cables, added boxes, etc. If you do, many issues tying up the verbiage in countless threads here and elsewhere will just be irrelevant, I believe.

But, also, try DSP room correction. If you can find a even remotely more effective sonic improvement than that, shout from the rooftops and let us all know. But, I do not think it exists. And, likely, it will be far cheaper than your PC.

Review the following 4 fundamentals:

1. How to listen

2. Room diagnosis and treatment

3. Vibration control and isolation

4. Clean Power [encompasses proper grounding]

Happy 2016!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels