IGNORED

ECdesigns

29 minutes ago, hopkins said:

We can count on the Dutch "hardcore" ECD fans to provide a first set of feedbacks 😁

😂😂👏

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

14 minutes ago, realDHT said:

I expect my long planned major master clock upgrade with the U192 will soon materialize

Cool. Though I would tend to think that even with a "perfect" source the DA96 will show some limitations. Let us know when your friend gets it and you can compare. 

28 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Cool. Though I would tend to think that even with a "perfect" source the DA96 will show some limitations. Let us know when your friend gets it and you can compare. 

The DIR9001 reciever chip in the DA96 might be a bottleneck for the clock performance, and probably also the noise from the XMOS in the U192. It will be interesting to find out how the ultralow jitter clocks will affect the sound. Otherwise the DA96 is pretty much reused in the new DAC as I have understood it (?) with the main differences being the DAPI, clocking and output stage. I will definately report here 😃 

@tapatrick and @Norton : Same as you ! I really wait for testing the PowerDAC-S as I listen exclusively to digital music and I don't want to "loose" in SQ though the use of RCA cables !

I think I will wait around 2 years after the launch of the S version before bying anything from ECD as I have a student/young professionnal budget. :-)

But between people who are curious and listen mainly to streaming/movies, those who also listen to vinyl or those who have active loudspeakers : this will be a very great deal ! I can say that source immunity has been achieved.

Can't wait to learn from John about his PowerDAC-S.

1 hour ago, Ben75 said:

Can't wait to learn from John about his PowerDAC-S.

Yes, and I am curious to find out more about this as well. It seems they initially found that a good tube amp design was preferable (in spite of the added interconnects) but it could be a matter of personal preference? Or maybe there are other explanations he has found since, and improvements to the "S" design are under way. Have not heard back from him about this. 

I've been using their MBV power amps (solid state) in various combinations (with the SVC preamp, direct to the PowerDAC, and with another preamp) and get the feeling that those amplifiers are now the limiting factor in my setup (aside for the speakers). I am waiting to see what they come up with. If I were to "upgrade" my amps I would not know where to start, there are so many options/designs. Difficult to know what will do justice to the powerDAC... That being said, I am very happy with the sound I get today, but we are always curious as to how much SQ we can squeeze out of our systems 😀

Order confirmation received here too!
I will install HQplayer NAA on an old Macmini and use its toslink out to the PowerDAC. Will be interesting to compare against my UPL96ETL/DA96ETF combo. And then later this summer compare to realDHT's U192ETL/DA96ETF with upgraded oscillators

ps: anyone knows if it would be possible to use some other remote than the one in the shop, Perhaps with some firmware upgrade. I have an old Apple remote on the shelf.

ECdesigns UPL96ETL > ECdesigns DA96ETF > Linkwitz ASP.4 > 8 x Hypex NC400 > Linkwitz LX521.4

It's a bit early to say something definite on the PowerDAC, I've listened to it for about an hour or two, but first impressions are really good! :)

I only listened to it like I have used the Fractal DAC as well, DAC only, so 'fixed output' connected to my integrated amplifier, not using the DAC as pre-amp. As source connected to my Innuos streamer with Paul Hynes LPS and good cabling.  I cannot say anything yet on source independence, for that I need more time. First I will let the sound 'as is' grow on me before trying other stuff. 

But if I have to say something about the sound: It's undeniably a close sibling of the Fractal DAC. It's just even more of it! :)

10 minutes ago, Huubster said:

I only listened to it like I have used the Fractal DAC as well, DAC only, so 'fixed output' connected to my integrated amplifier, not using the DAC as pre-amp

Hi Huubster,  just wanted to add a little piece of information I got from ECD a while back. Setting the output as "fixed" with the jumpers on the back corresponds exactly to setting the volume at max (9) - audio path is identical. With the jumpers, the volume control (manual or with the remote) is deactivated, but otherwise SQ should be exactly the same either way.

Glad your first impressions are good :)

1 hour ago, Huubster said:

It's a bit early to say something definite on the PowerDAC, I've listened to it for about an hour or two, but first impressions are really good! :)

I only listened to it like I have used the Fractal DAC as well, DAC only, so 'fixed output' connected to my integrated amplifier, not using the DAC as pre-amp. As source connected to my Innuos streamer with Paul Hynes LPS and good cabling.  I cannot say anything yet on source independence, for that I need more time. First I will let the sound 'as is' grow on me before trying other stuff. 

But if I have to say something about the sound: It's undeniably a close sibling of the Fractal DAC. It's just even more of it! :)

I'm glad that you are happy and satisfied.

I'm out at this moment.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:53 AM, Huubster said:

It's a bit more expensive then anticipated I see, but ok...

..Just think about how much you saved not having to buy that super-dooper music server with state of the art silver quad-uplex wiring & enhanced-o-cagizmos... :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 6/15/2021 at 10:15 AM, Huubster said:

Awesome to see that kind of craftsmanship, and dedication

Cool! I thought the cost must reflect handcrafting. Question is tho' would a standard USB to toslink converter and an apple remote do the same job...?