IGNORED

ECdesigns

40 minutes ago, opus101 said:

I'm a bit active on that thread as I design NOS DACs - 'soft bass' I would attribute to being a bit noisy in the lower frequencies. The noise could easily come from the power supply or it could be inherent in the DAC architecture itself.

I must say, having used the PowerDAC for over a week now, the lower registers seem to be more present and better outlined in comparison with the DA96. Your claim regarding electronic noise seem to fit with the "source immunity" claim made by ECdesigns.

Can other people relate to this..?

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

16 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

I must say, having used the PowerDAC for over a week now, the lower registers seem to be more present and better outlined in comparison with the DA96. Your claim regarding electronic noise seem to fit with the "source immunity" claim made by ECdesigns.

You won't be surprised if I say that bass is not an issue with the PowerDAC 😅 so someone else should give their impressions

20 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

I'm not sure about the lower registers being more present. I even recently increased the volume of my subwoofer a tiny little bit. Could that be due to a better defined/tight low end maybe?

I personally have the feeling that I experience more low mids, creating that fuller sound I referred to earlier.

I never had any issues with the amount of low end by the way, also not with the Fractal Dac. 

1 minute ago, Huubster said:

Could that be due to a better defined/tight low end maybe

Thats what I am experiencing: my reference track for assessing fast/ defined bass is Rage Against The Machine - Killing In the Name (I presume you will use different tracks ;-D). PRaT is unparalleled imo. Anyways, let's give it a try in the coming listening session!

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

5 minutes ago, Huubster said:

This weekend will be an interesting weekend Hopkins.

Bodiebill, Vincent and me will have a gathering here locally to do some listening at Bodiebill's place.

We are planning to use different sources and cables and then eloquently discuss and jointly verify our findings :)

In our preparations (big part of the fun already) many ideas on what to do are popping up. But we want to be careful in doing too much changes in one evening, we still want to enjoy the music too :)

Sounds great. Tests are not that much fun, so you are right, you will want to enjoy music too. Perhaps Bodiebill can even play some piano for you :)

2 hours ago, realDHT said:

Sometimes ECD dacs get critique for having "soft bass", "lack of punch" and similar.

Definitely not true for the Fractal DAC in my system. Must be because of some other issue in the quoted systems..

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

26 minutes ago, realDHT said:

Seems to make sense. Several times I have also read that low jitter is important for percieved bass depth and definition. It is also possible that ECD improved (the already good) jitter levels of the DA96 with the new clocking system. I'm now running the U192/DA96 with very low jitter clocks by Andrea Mori but can't say for sure yet how it has affected the sound until I set up a listening comparison with Rowli and his unmodified UPL/DA96 combination. 

Nice, did you replace both the 22 and 24Mhz clocks?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 minute ago, tapatrick said:

Definitely not true for the Fractal DAC in my system. Must be because of some other issue in the quoted systems..

As always, the complete setup/chain is responsible for your end result. I.e. my Hegel H590 is fast as water and my speakers are of that kind that can keep up with this pace. Also they happen to be quite bass heavy (typical paper cones that are used) and tango really great with the characteristics of the PD.

12 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

sources -- RPi, SOtM, Lindemann, SDTrans384 (see source immunity discussion)

Will be Rpi incl. HifiBerry HAT (digi2 pro edition), Lindemann Limetree Bridge 2

35 minutes ago, hopkins said:

but my friends thought it had more detailed

You mean the Denafrips I suppose?

Thanks for sharing!

6 hours ago, bodiebill said:

They would be bored I am sure. Rather we will do a few -- but, mind you, certainly not all! -- of the following comparisons:

• optical cables -- I never paid attention, do they make a difference?
  • PD power supply -- stock vs Paul Hynes SR4T vs 6V LPSU + 5V LT3045
  • sources -- RPi, SOtM, Lindemann, SDTrans384 (see source immunity discussion)
  • Mutec reclocker in the chain yes or no (see source immunity discussion)
  • interlinks ad lib -- we would have to place the active speakers close together
  • Buchardt speakers with and without REL subs -- OT comparsion allowed for the sake of the host 😊

@Vincent des Champs

@Huubster

anything else?

Of course we will share results on this thread.

I was planning to come with my bike @bodiebill, but it would be stupid not to take my Innuos and Paul Hynes LPS right..? How often do we get the chance to compare such a wide array of resources.. :)

3 hours ago, hopkins said:

. We all agreed that the PowerDAC was more involving, but my friends thought it had more detailed. 

This should have read: "We all agreed that the PowerDAC was more involving, but my friends thought the Terminator had more detail" 

To clarify, my friend thought the Terminator presented more clearly the different instruments, but that the PowerDAC's overall presentation was more pleasant/analog like. I guess it would be a case of being more than the sum of its parts? As I said, I did not feel there was anything lacking, but we are all entitled to our opinions. 

8 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

People that are not familiar with ECd (large numbers - the whole world except us in the fora I would say 😉) and are curious (small numbers) will look for reviews and find none. Terminator DACs have been reviewed everywhere. But that’s the paradox with ECd: we want people to experience the DAC’s quality and try to convince them, but one the other hand, isn’t that the charm of being one of the happy few that can enjoy the ‘aurora borealis’ of sound (although the PD is not the one that beats ‘em all’)? Convincing can only be done by offering a one-on-one demo preferable in their personal setup. And that’s what the PD can do easily given it’s portability and the rbpi (for instance) as source. My neighbor is thinking to replace his newly purchased Linn Klimax DS (costing a lot) for this odd looking DIY device named the PowerDAC... In the meantime I think we have to acquiesce and simply enjoy.

Happy listening today!
What are the other dacs you have tried which you think beats PD