IGNORED

ECdesigns

Thanks for the pics. The DAC board seems to be quite different to the DA96. Nice that its only 2 boards with (I hope) the same size as the DA96 bords. If I feel I need to buy this I can probably re-use my case and have extra space available in it for a DHT output stage for example 😁   

19 hours ago, hopkins said:

What are those very nice and cool looking speakers? Can you tell us more about your system? 

Thanks 

Thanks.

The speakers are avantgarde uno XD, Myronov woodenamp and Nagra classic preamp.

ksa50s/no380s drives the stand speakers.

Powerdac S would have been optimal for these speakers. But as tt is my Main music source analog input is a must.

Powerdac R replaces my Chord Qutest - unheard.

I have had ecdesigns dac of two generations back and was pleased with its sound.

1 hour ago, uber2 said:

Powerdac S would have been optimal for these speakers. But as tt is my Main music source analog input is a must.

Though my turntable (and setup in general) is probably light years away from yours, I also want to keep the option of spinning records.

Even if digital  is perhaps not your main source, I am sure your impressions on the powerDAC will be interesting for others to read. 

1 hour ago, uber2 said:

Thanks.

The speakers are avantgarde uno XD, Myronov woodenamp and Nagra classic preamp.

ksa50s/no380s drives the stand speakers.

Nice systems, an exquisite selection of components. The Misho Myronov is probably the perfect match for a horn. Looking forward to your Powerdac-r report.

I am testing this setup this morning, and I thought I would share it here as it could be of interest to others:

- USB Audio Player Pro  (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=fr&gl=US) on an android tablet, with an OTG connector and USB cable going to ECD's USB/Toslink converter

- output can be set to "bit perfect"

- can compare local files stored on the tablet's SD card (so no wifi needed) to Qobuz or Tidal (streaming with wifi)  

- setup is "portable" (tablets battery powers the USB-Toslink) so you can take it to friends' or when you want to demo speakers/amps at a dealer's 👍

tablet.thumb.jpg.57b94c1672215c6e037b64d75979a13d.jpg

USB cable used here is ECD's thick pink cable which I got with the previous DAC. That cable is over 2 meter long. USB OTG short cable is an Amazon basic. 

16 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

@hopkins I assume this is as an alternative setup for (rather than replacement of) the setup with your NUC?

Yes, but without going into all the quirks of my setup, I cannot (yet) play Qobuz on my NUC, and I found this to be the simplest way to play Qobuz, which I wanted to experiment with. 

The sound quality is on par with my NUC, to my ears, just as enjoyable, so I can take this around easily if needed.

Also it could be a simple way to test source immunity for those who are curious and currently only have their Uber-servers to play with. 

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

I am testing this setup this morning, and I thought I would share it here as it could be of interest to others:

- USB Audio Player Pro  (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=fr&gl=US) on an android tablet, with an OTG connector and USB cable going to ECD's USB/Toslink converter

- output can be set to "bit perfect"

- can compare local files stored on the tablet's SD card (so no wifi needed) to Qobuz or Tidal (streaming with wifi)  

- setup is "portable" (tablets battery powers the USB-Toslink) so you can take it to friends' or when you want to demo speakers/amps at a dealer's 👍

tablet.thumb.jpg.57b94c1672215c6e037b64d75979a13d.jpg

USB cable used here is ECD's thick pink cable which I got with the previous DAC. That cable is over 2 meter long. USB OTG short cable is an Amazon basic. 

Excellent, this is how I intend to use the PowerDAC in my system; with a USB/Toslink converter. This would simply allow me to replace my Lindemann DAC and use the existing setup (Mac Mini, Qobuz, Audirvana).

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Following discussions here (and privately with some of you) on source immunity, I was curious to plug my UPL again and compare it to another source to check whether I had been wrong in my initial assessment. 

I setup the UPL again (had not used it in over a month). I compared it to the Tablet setup described previously, connected to the U192 which has the same output level as the UPL. I used the same electroTos cable in both cases. 

I mostly listened to the same track, "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" from the album "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section". I know it well, it is, well recorded. I focused on how the individual instruments sounded, and the overall presentation. 

I first listened to a minute on the U192, then put the beginning of the song back on the UPL. I immediately told myself: "damn, this sounds better", and  thought "oh well, I'll have to go back to putting all my music in 001-999 folders...". Playing the song back again on the U192, I realized that the very beginning, before the saxophone comes in, sounds different from the rest of the song, so when you stop in the middle and start over, you always have a slightly different feeling of sound quality. Swapping again back and forth, and then listening to a few other songs confirmed that I cannot hear ANY differences between the two sources. 

Don't think an android tablet playing local files was ever competitive with the UPL. I had tried many times before and it never was. 

Perhaps the UPL is not the best source there is, after all? That can obviously not be ruled out. But in that case, the bar has been set pretty high! 

Maybe my system is limited, or I have hearing problems.

Looking forward to those listening reports! 

I've given this some thought, and I think you should also perform the same comparison with your regular amp and speakers or headphones.  While the Buchardt may have benefits over your passive speakers, the Buchardt A500 are powered and have DSP (A/D and D/A as the input is analog). This introduces some additional variables. 

- quality of the conversion (though that itself could probably not explain how you get two different results with the same source, assuming the analog out from the powerDAC is identical in both cases)

- susceptibility to interferences (given the Buchardt are powered and have sensitive AD/DA conversion) - could be different when running the SDTrans versus the SOtM as there are different components plugged in to the mains and running (along with the Buchardt). 

I cannot think of any other explanations as my tests (both on speakers and on headphones directly connected to the powerDAC) don't show any effect of the source, power supply, USB cables, etc... I'm curious to know if I am completely missing out on something! 

On my side, I am going to try to organize another comparison in someone else's system, to test the effect of various changes. 

30 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

But if you mean that there is some subtle difference in intereaction between up- and downstream components, this becomes a bit too elusive for me. Then it would become impossible to pinpoint the culprit of certain changes within a chain as everything should be approached holistically. Actually I think this may actually be the case: at the end of the day we do not know.

This is what I mean, and it does make things complicated - that is why I often go back to plugging headphones directly into the PowerDAC (even though I find listening to speakers ultimately more enjoyable). 

7 minutes ago, hopkins said:

This is what I mean, and it does make things complicated - that is why I often go back to plugging headphones directly into the PowerDAC (even though I find listening to speakers ultimately more enjoyable). 

Yes, that seems like a good way to simplify the test. It is a pity that both my serious headphones (TakeT and Hifiman) are way too demanding for the PD :-)

I feel another post coming up...

audio system

I tried my Hifiman HE-6 headphones directly on the Power DAC, however the volume is much too low -- which could have been be expected with their 83.5 dB sensitivity and 50 Ohms nominal impedance.

My TakeT I should forget about as they really need speaker outputs and a powerful amp. 

ECD's website states that the PD's "... low output impedance and 1.4V rms max. output amplitude make it also suitable to directly drive most headphones with impedance between 32 Ohms and up (tested / verified)."

What would be suitable sensitivity/impedance combinations?

audio system

Headphone sensitivity is also important, as you just found out.  To give you an idea, last night, I lilstened to my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, 250 Ohm but 110db sensitivity. Plugged in to the PowerDAC directly, with a y-cable, I listened with the volume quite high, up to 9 on some softer tracks. When using my Grado GH2, which are 32 Ohm and 100db (approximately), volume only has to be set to 4 or 5 to reach maximum listening level.

Maybe there is a calculator to correlate impedance+sensitivity ? Don't know.

EDIT: just found this one: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/. If you set the impedance to 32 Ohms, you can see that you need 5 times more voltage to drive a headphone of 85db as opposed to 100db.

Yes another edit - this site is simpler to use: http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

I do not quite understand "between 32 Ohms and up".

I think John means he did not test headphones below 32 ohms. Lower impedance requires more current from the DAC to drive and would at some point give a problem with distortion and/or freq. response. Higher impedance would not be a problem other than the SPL goes down.