IGNORED

ECdesigns

1 hour ago, Ben75 said:

It would be very great to delete cables from the chain (and the related losses) and to avoid any « potential improvements » from power amplifiers as it can be always « improvable »

In two years time, you will probably ask yourself exactly the same questions. If you wait to own "the best there is" (assuming you could even determine what is the best at any time) you'll probably end up listening to your cureent system for a very long time... 

Also, I am certainly not claiming that the current PowerDAC is the best DAC out there, or that it could not be improved (setting aside amplification aspects). 

I have had the opportunity to get a few more people to listen to the PowerDAC in a few systems. It does not leave  listeners indifferent, in fact it leaves most wanting to hear more. 

As for me, my impressions have not changed in the past few weeks. I have not once had the urge to plug back in  the previous DAC, even if just to compare, or to use the UPL as a source. It has been working flawlessly. 

I am really looking forward to comparing notes with some of you, hopefully in a few weeks time. 

In my case, if I was to buy the PowerDAC-R, I would like to connect it to my active speakers (which has it's own volume control) and also use it to drive my headphones.  Ideally, both would be permanently connected to the PowerDAC-R so I would avoid the hassle of changing the RCA connections each time I wanted to swap to the headphones or vice versa.
To do this,  the only solution I can only think of is to install a RCA switcher like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLQ6YH4?tag=offthebroiler-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=Toslink Switch

I'm thinking the RCA switcher would disconnect the headphones when feeding my speakers avoiding any problems with both connected at the same time. 
I would want to use the PowerDAC-R's volume control for my headphones but bypass the volume control to feed my active speakers but John Brown confirmed that enabling the link (at the rear) of the PowerDAC-R just sets the volume to its maximum rather than bypassing the volume control completely so I would have the volume set to it's maximum when connected to the speakers.
Other than having the switcher and extra RCA cables in the circuit (that may degrade the SQ), anyone think there would be any drawbacks in setting it up this way or have any ideas how I could have my speakers and headphones connected permanently? 

Cheers

7 hours ago, tims said:

In my case, if I was to buy the PowerDAC-R, I would like to connect it to my active speakers (which has it's own volume control) and also use it to drive my headphones.  Ideally, both would be permanently connected to the PowerDAC-R so I would avoid the hassle of changing the RCA connections each time I wanted to swap to the headphones or vice versa.
To do this,  the only solution I can only think of is to install a RCA switcher like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLQ6YH4?tag=offthebroiler-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=Toslink Switch

I'm thinking the RCA switcher would disconnect the headphones when feeding my speakers avoiding any problems with both connected at the same time. 
I would want to use the PowerDAC-R's volume control for my headphones but bypass the volume control to feed my active speakers but John Brown confirmed that enabling the link (at the rear) of the PowerDAC-R just sets the volume to its maximum rather than bypassing the volume control completely so I would have the volume set to it's maximum when connected to the speakers.
Other than having the switcher and extra RCA cables in the circuit (that may degrade the SQ), anyone think there would be any drawbacks in setting it up this way or have any ideas how I could have my speakers and headphones connected permanently? 

Cheers

The link you included refers to ta Toslink switch, not an RCA switch. An RCA switch may definitely have an impact on sound quality, but how significant, I don't know. Perhaps you could write to ECD and asked them for recommendations. I don't see any other alternatives to switch between two outputs. I have a similar switch - this one: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7240.htm. It works fine, but I rarely used it, and when I have I did not pay close attention to SQ.

12 hours ago, hopkins said:

I am really looking forward to comparing notes with some of you, hopefully in a few weeks time. 

We are all waiting in anticipation. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Someone mentioned it would be sold by the end of this month. I don't think they do pre-orders. 

No pre-orders confirmed.

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

Anyone interested in my da96etf / upl96etl/ u192etl? Send me a dm 👍🏻

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

21 hours ago, szczemirek said:

Snakeoil don't see a dac.

The latest EC-designs use toslink as a interface and no OS will be able "to see" the dac. Are you sure that a signal is sent to the correct output i.e. check your settings in the OS. 

The Snakeoil OS wiki/forum seems to have a well of information. I suggest you'll try troubleshooting there first. If you are using an older DAC with usb-conncection. USB is built in the Linux kernel and the OS should "see" the dac. Sometimes you will need to mount a USB-device. You are in luck because SOS is Ubuntu-based and there is a ton of help out there. Google is your friend here. Check SOS wiki/forums first though. Good Luck!

@hopkins
Thanks for the detailed info on the volume of PowerDAC-R.

I would test it with my active speakers to see how the volume works.
I normally listen at highish volumes, as long as I get a reasonable range I might get away with using PowerDAC-R's volume.
If not I will use my existing DAC's analog input and its excellent analog volume control.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 5/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, hopkins said:

If you plan on using the optical out of a PC or Mac, you may find that their Toslink outputs are limited to 24/96. I have only a handful of 192 kHz albums, so I've converted them to 96 kHz, but if you want to benefit from 192 kHZ there are plenty of solutions: ECD's small Toslink/USB converter works fine up to 192, no problem. For the time being, I felt like keeping things "super simple" and not introduce the USB converter, but I may change my mind. 

Good point, my Innuos' Toslink tops at 96khz. Have you by chance used the USB converter and did you notice any difference with optical out? Or did you not check it out at all?

9 minutes ago, Huubster said:

Good point, my Innuos' Toslink tops at 96khz. Have you by chance used the USB converter and did you notice any difference with optical out? Or did you not check it out at all?

I did some comparisons with the USB and did not notice any differences, but I did not spend too much time on it. I don't know how much they'll be selling that small USB converter. I assume it will be pretty cheap (100€?). [I am purchasing the units they send me, by the way, but will be doing so when the site is updated so it makes it easier for them to generate an invoice.I never asked about the USB converters price.]

You could still use the U192. I actually did not even try the U192. ElectroTos cable does not "lock" into Toslink plugs like regular Toslink cable do, so I prefer using regular Toslink. Maybe it would be possible to retrofit the U192 with a regular Toslink cable?

12 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I did some comparisons with the USB and did not notice any differences, but I did not spend too much time on it. I don't know how much they'll be selling that small USB converter. I assume it will be pretty cheap (100€?). [I am purchasing the units they send me, by the way, but will be doing so when the site is updated so it makes it easier for them to generate an invoice.I never asked about the USB converters price.]

You could still use the U192. I actually did not even try the U192. ElectroTos cable does not "lock" into Toslink plugs like regular Toslink cable do, so I prefer using regular Toslink. Maybe it would be possible to retrofit the U192 with a regular Toslink?

Thanks Stephane, glad you did not hear much difference. My preference would also be to go for the the same 'less is more' approach you chose. My music is already at 96khz anyhow since the DA96ETF can't handle any higher.

But I would like to be able to compare the 192khz versions using the PowerDAC, so I might initially opt for the converter for testing purposes as well.

Using the U192, interesting idea, haven't thought about that yet. But I actually want to skip the U192 for the same 'less is more' reasons.

20 hours ago, hopkins said:

You can't go wrong with the converter, it is very small and powered from the USB. You could probably even fit it inside the Innuos with some DIY wiring...

The problem with Toslink outputs is that most music server manufacturers have not bothered offering 24/192, as Toslink is generally seen as an inferior connection. 

I completely agree with Stéphane ! The Toslink to USB converter from ECD is just excellent and did not deteriorate (from my little experience with it) the sound quality over a streamer that has a Toslink output integrated. :-)

28 minutes ago, Ben75 said:

I completely agree with Stéphane ! The Toslink to USB converter from ECD is just excellent and did not deteriorate (from my little experience with it) the sound quality over a streamer that has a Toslink output integrated. :-)

Glad you agree Ben :) 

My current line of thinking is that I will use the PowerDAC 'as is' first. Meaning using my Innuos with Toslink out, and using the PowerDAC as stand alone DAC, just as I use the DA96ETF currently for proper comparison. Later on I may try using USB, and using PowerDAC as a pre-amplifier.