IGNORED

ECdesigns

Rest assured, I have as much difficulty as you grasping these concepts - I've probably just spend more time trying to do so. Having used ECD products for the past few years, I am always curious, as most of us probably are, to correlate what I hear with what ECD explains with each new development. It is rare to have a DAC manufacturer be so open about their designs and provide so much information. It is also rare that they explain the issues with previous models, or what they have "understood" since, and how they improve on them. 

To answer you, I am pretty confident that:

PowerDAC + UPL > Current DA96ETL + UPL. 

And the DA96 >> MOS16 (i have both, and other trusted ears have confirmed). 

Question will be:

PowerDAC + generic source = PowerDAC + UPL ? 

7 hours ago, hopkins said:

It has a "master clock", so it does not rely on the clock signal of the source, and it therefore "re-clocks" the incoming signal. The way it does this is novel, and has not been done before (at least according to ECD). They found a way to do it "asynchronously" (as with USB), so that clock and data signals remain "separate", in a sense (my very limited understanding) and this avoids noise spreading from one to the other... . So essentially only the "data" part of the Toslink signal is used, and the rest (clock signal) is discarded. 

Just to be clear, asynchronously reclocking S/PDIF (or TOSLINK or AES/EBU) is not new. Many DACs, S/PDIF reclockers, and digital converters offer this. There are several ways to do it--some easy, some hard--and some of methods are better than others.

(And this is ENTIRELY different and not at all related to asynchronous isochronous USB, which has nothing to do with clocking and only is with regards to communication back to the computer about how much data to put in each packet.)

54 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Just to be clear, asynchronously reclocking S/PDIF (or TOSLINK or AES/EBU) is not new. Many DACs, S/PDIF reclockers, and digital converters offer this. There are several ways to do it--some easy, some hard--and some of methods are better than others.

(And this is ENTIRELY different and not at all related to asynchronous isochronous USB, which has nothing to do with clocking and only is with regards to communication back to the computer about how much data to put in each packet.)

Yes, I do think it has to do with the method, as I clearly stated, more than the fact that it is done asynchronously. However, do you know of any DACs that does this while dispensing of (high bandwidth) I2S communicaton altogether ? The PowerDAC's internals rely purely on a very low bandwidth (100kHz)parallel data signal to feed the DAC. 

If you achieve asynchronous reclocking of spdif using micro-processors, but fail to deal with RF issues you are back to square one and might as well use a PC and USB connection. 

A similar 'bandwidth limiting" technique was partially retrofitted to their player (UPL) and I actually have both the original model and the revised model, so was able to compare both, and the difference between is not subtle. A step in the right direction, which led them to develop this even further in their new DAC. 

Its a combination of techniques, as I understand, that have been used in ways that are "novel". 

I am not saying this is the only aporoach possible. Heck, I have not even heard the results yet... But I am sure you would agree (as your business does offer solutions to this) that currently no DAC offers source immunity, far from it. With USB, you cannot isolate the source noise in the DAC's reciever, or at least not completely. John Swenson himself states this in the white paper you have on your website. Once noise makes it through, it spreads...So we are left with "source optimization" in various forms, going from using your very affordable products, to spending >20.000€ on a low noise PC... An alternative approach is always welcome. 

In fact, not having compared their current player+DAC with many other solutions (some, but obviously not all) I am more interested in seing how it performs relative to this current model. It will also be affordable, and that's good, i don't feel too guilty talking about it. I am not going to be buying a Taiko PC to find out which one is best :) I'm happy with the sound I get now, but if I get the same SQ (or even perhaps a small improvement) with a network player, bingo! 

Vis à vis the parallel with USB, I understand USB is an entirely different protocol, I was just making the parallel to its asynchronous aspect, as opposed to spdif.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:30 PM, hopkins said:

Yes, I do think it has to do with the method, as I clearly stated, more than the fact that it is done asynchronously. However, do you know of any DACs that does this while dispensing of (high bandwidth) I2S communicaton altogether ? The PowerDAC's internals rely purely on a very low bandwidth (100kHz)parallel data signal to feed the DAC. 

If you achieve asynchronous reclocking of spdif using micro-processors, but fail to deal with RF issues you are back to square one and might as well use a PC and USB connection. 

A single 44.1kHz sample has 16bits of data per channel, afaik that means you need a clock running at 705.6kHz or the data will arrive faster than the music can play.
I suppose ECdesigns data protocol means two 16 bit frames are clocked in parallel, rather than one after another like i2s which would require twice the clock speed for data to arrive in time.
I2S frames are also 32bits long, for 16bit redbook data the other half is just padding, and this also doubles the clock speed. I would assume ECdesigns match the frame length to the incoming data to avoid padding.
To support up to 24bit 192kHz they must have a master clock inside running at a few MHz at least.

I dont really see how the processing circuits used to decode and reclock SPDIF into this data protocol could be much different to I2S aside from few times lower operating speeds.

ECD is a NOS DAC too, most other DACs are naturally operating at higher speeds because of upsampling.
Most DACs are delta sigma nowadays so it's a given, but take another popular multibit dac like the Soekris DAC2541.
It is has optical input, FIFO reclocking and a similar parallel interface for the ladder, it seems pretty similar to what ECD are doing here, upsampling was an intentional design choice since it objectively has a lot of advantages though it could technically operate without it like any other ladder dac.

3 minutes ago, numlog said:

I dont have any questions, I was just responding to your question about other DACs.

What question ? EDIT: I see, the one about dispensing of I2S (and low bandwidth). I don't know how the Soekris works, but I assume they do and when they explain that they do things differently there must be something that escapes both of us ?

Here is also the link to his explanations on DIYAudio: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-post6462689.html

"However, do you know of any DACs that does this while dispensing of (high bandwidth) I2S communicaton altogether?"

Although I also sharing some possible doubts about what you were asking here.

From the post it does sound very similar to what the Soekris DACs do, maybe there are other examples but Soekris has roots in DIY community therefore we know a lot more about how they function.

Ah I finally see where the low bandwidth thing (the '200khz' DPI bandwidth figure from ECdesigns blog graph) is coming from, it's described in next page on that diyaudio thread:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-778.html#post6495019

yes, a high number of optical data connections is a very different and interesting approach that would allow such low speeds! 

There's another guy claiming to have achieved similar results on DIYAudio: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/348074-synchronized-asynchronous-fifo-buffer-slaved-i2s-reclocker.html

All this escapes me, but this "low bandwidth" data communication seems to be unique to ECD. The DAC design (Fractal) is also unique, but I would be incapable of explaining any of it in detail.

I was trying to share my understanding of the changes they made from the current DAC, and why it could improve things, for people using currently the U192 (USB interface) and even for those of us who are using the UPL (low-noise source). We'll see...

It does seem to be unique, what caused the confusion is most of the old multibit DAC chips from the 90s had parallel data inputs, it is a normal thing for a ladder DAC, but the ECD has parallel bit inputs, a fact that was not clear to me from the blog, nor was the fact that the bit inputs are optical connections.

Im actually surprised the connections themselves are optical because, as ECD explained themselves, optical is jittery, that may be the trade off for ultra low noise/bandwidth.

22 hours ago, numlog said:

It does seem to be unique, what caused the confusion is most of the old multibit DAC chips from the 90s had parallel data inputs, it is a normal thing for a ladder DAC, but the ECD has parallel bit inputs, a fact that was not clear to me from the blog, nor was the fact that the bit inputs are optical connections.

I am not sure that is the case. I really think the best thing would be to confirm your understanding with ECD, and ask them if you can post the explanations here. DiyAudio forum could be a good place to do this as well. 

10 minutes ago, numlog said:

What is not the case? That is the explanation ECD gave on diyaudio

The only  optical connection is the Toslink input going into the microprocessor that handles the decoding / reclocking and ouputs parallel data with low bandwidth (send to the DAC). Just send them a mail to clarify... 

1 minute ago, hopkins said:

The only  optical connection is the Toslink input going into the microprocessor that handles the decoding / reclocking and ouputs parallel data with low bandwidth (send to the DAC). Just send them a mail to clarify... 

From the ECD diyaudio post I linked:
''The ideal digital audio interface foe connecting a source to an external DAC would be a DAPI interface based on 48 separate optical fibres (one for every bit) plus one fibre for sample timing (latch). This would reduce data bandwidth to 100 ... 200KHz, 20,000 times lower bandwidth compared to USB!''

Just now, numlog said:

From the ECD diyaudio post I linked:
''The ideal digital audio interface foe connecting a source to an external DAC would be a DAPI interface based on 48 separate optical fibres (one for every bit) plus one fibre for sample timing (latch). This would reduce data bandwidth to 100 ... 200KHz, 20,000 times lower bandwidth compared to USB!''

Yes I read that but it says "would be".

I can't help you to clarify these fine points. I really suggest you contact them - they have the answers, and I am sure they can adress the concerns you raised.

Otherwise, we are left with your doubts/questions/potential misunderstandings, and unfortunately they are not on this forum, as many other vendors are, to answer you directly. 

I am only responding to your own claims/potential misunderstandings about the products.

If you read the last line it sounds to me that this is the requirement for their claimed 200kHz bandwidth limiting.
Based on what they said, it is the same reason the USB DAPI wouldn't work, the 8MHz input bandwidth limiting is only possible with optical isolation of Toslink, the same applies for DAPI input to limit from 8MHz to 200kHz, isolation is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. Very interesting! 

And interesting news that ECD are designing a complementary tube amp too.  

So if I understand you correctly, you think the powerdac + rasperry is better than the UPL + fractal DAC in subjective listening tests? How much better would you say it is? Is it sort of a "must-do-upgrade-immediately" :) or just a little bit better in your opinion?  

33 minutes ago, Huubster said:

And I actually like the design! Retro style, B&O would have won prices with this kind of designs back in the days 😁

I like the unit much more "in person" than in pictures. It is really small. The picture I put on the blog entry, is how I have it now, next to my turntable, so you can appreciate the size. My girlfriend likes it, and likes the fact that there is overall less "spaghetti" ! So its a winner for everyone :)