IGNORED

ECdesigns

12 hours ago, Huubster said:

Glad you agree Ben :) 

My current line of thinking is that I will use the PowerDAC 'as is' first. Meaning using my Innuos with Toslink out, and using the PowerDAC as stand alone DAC, just as I use the DA96ETF currently for proper comparison. Later on I may try using USB, and using PowerDAC as a pre-amplifier. 

Great plans you have !

we should be very interested by the results you get at the end of those experiments ! :-)

On 5/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Huubster said:

Glad you agree Ben :) 

My current line of thinking is that I will use the PowerDAC 'as is' first. Meaning using my Innuos with Toslink out, and using the PowerDAC as stand alone DAC, just as I use the DA96ETF currently for proper comparison. Later on I may try using USB, and using PowerDAC as a pre-amplifier. 

I'd be interested in reading your findings on using PowerDAC as a pre, as this is how I intend to try/use it. 

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 4/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, tapatrick said:

I heard from John that in he thinks the PowerDac R with SE tube amp sounds better than the PowerDac S straight to Speakers. This could change but is an interesting development and explains their SE tube amp developments.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, hopkins said:

Heard the same, but I understand he is trying to understand why and if there is a way to bridge the gap. 

I imagine the S version will now take longer to finalise. I am assuming the S version is based on the R version only with a more powerful 6W output stage? I know the R and S are different products but on paper I would prefer the S version as it makes it possible to have a simplified system ie source>Powedac S>Speakers but looks like it will be a wait before finding out which is best....

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

15 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I imagine the S version will now take longer to finalise. I am assuming the S version is based on the R version only with a more powerful 6W output stage? I know the R and S are different products but on paper I would prefer the S version as it makes it possible to have a simplified system ie source>Powedac S>Speakers but looks like it will be a wait before finding out which is best....

I think exactly the same than you tapatrick... If the PowerDAC-S beats the PowerDAC-R with tube amps should be very considered as it litterally avoid any buffer in the Hifi chain.

However, I can already say that PowerDAC-R is very good ! It remains to compare PowerDAC-R versus a good preamp...

27 minutes ago, Ben75 said:

However, I can already say that PowerDAC-R is very good ! It remains to compare PowerDAC-R versus a good preamp...

Thanks @Ben75 

👍

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

51 minutes ago, Ben75 said:

It remains to compare PowerDAC-R versus a good preamp...

I'm satisfied with the comparisons I made. 😁

I don't know if I have compared it to the very best preamp available, but which one would that be, how much would it cost ? I would be curious to find out...

11 hours ago, Michael L said:

Isn't the 'very best preamp' the preamp you most enjoy listening to? I have a Border Patrol valve control unit preamp.

I love it's presentation. I also enjoy valve SET amps and I believe I am going to enjoy the SIT (VFET) amplifier I am building. 

I don't know, but what is interesting (at least to me) is that listening to the powerDAC I have completely lost interest in comparing it to other DAC+preamps 😁 

I simply hope that the few people reading this who already have invested in ECD equipment and are considering the upgrade will not be disappointed. 

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

I simply hope that the few people reading this who already have invested in ECD equipment and are considering the upgrade will not be disappointed. 

So ANY news from EC Designs about this DAC?  Since the February 19 blog post about it on their web site, they do not seem to have said anything more in public.  Even their most recent post in the DIYAudio forum was dated February 21.  

Is the unit in your possession still the only one? 

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

So ANY news from EC Designs about this DAC?  Since the February 19 blog post about it on their web site, they do not seem to have said anything more in public.  Even their most recent post in the DIYAudio forum was dated February 21.  

Is the unit in your possession still the only one? 

They are preparing a batch and last I heard (ten days ago) they were  on track to start shipping at the end of the month. I assume they will update their website shortly before. Others may have more recent info? 

7 hours ago, hopkins said:

I hope you are not experiencing yourself too many difficulties sourcing parts. Prices are going up for some components, especially microprocessors

I don’t know about full-blown processor chips, but prices for even advanced silicon chips (such as isolators, FPGAs, high-speed flops, clock synthesizers, and regulators) have been pretty stable—a few percent rise at most. But lead times are getting MUCH longer and availability in general distribution has been poor.

It is no fun to have a hot product only to be quoted a 24 week lead time on a key part for which their exists no substitutes! :o

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I don’t know about full-blown processor chips, but prices for even advanced silicon chips (such as isolators, FPGAs, high-speed flops, clock synthesizers, and regulators) have been pretty stable—a few percent rise at most. But lead times are getting MUCH longer and availability in general distribution has been poor.

It is no fun to have a hot product only to be quoted a 24 week lead time on a key part for which their exists no substitutes! :o

https://hbr.org/2021/02/why-were-in-the-midst-of-a-global-semiconductor-shortage

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is a delay as end of month has passed without any news. Does anyone have any updates?

12 minutes ago, Huubster said:

I spoke to John last week and there is some delay indeed. The DAC's are ready, the issue is with parts delivery for the accesoires.

- He had to select new transformers for the DAC's LPS's last minute due to delivery issues with the original chosen ones, but the new ones were delayed as well.

- His ordered USB cables were not up to par, they were not passing a good and steady 5v signal. I understood he's making his own ones now. But not sure about this one, please don't expect a home brewed John USB cable based on my statement here...

-And when I called him he was actually busy with metal work for the remotes, so I got the feeling that also plate material was in late.

This information is about a week old, don't know the current status. John seemed still  optimistic about the timelines last week, so I'm checking the site on a daily basis, probably just like you :)

Thanks for the update @Huubster

Seeing the reactions to the previous posts, I was wondering who is going to purchase a PowerDAC immediately and who is  going to wait for more feedback before they decide. Is it indescrete to ask? I am purchasing the pre-production unit I tested, BTW. I have tried, not to be too enthusiastic here and "inflate" things. In fact, I've had the opportunity to compare the powerDAC to two other respected DACs but am saving my comments for later 😁 I am looking forward to hearing what some of you will have to say after listening to it. It does not look like there will be any professional reviews anytime soon. ECD are unique in that way too 😀

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Seeing the reactions to the previous posts, I was wondering who is going to purchase a PowerDAC immediately and who is  going to wait for more feedback before they decide. Is it indescrete to ask? I am purchasing the pre-production unit I tested, BTW. I have tried, not to be too enthusiastic here and "inflate" things. In fact, I've had the opportunity to compare the powerDAC to two other respected DACs but am saving my comments for later 😁 I am looking forward to hearing what some of you will have to say after listening to it. It does not look like there will be any professional reviews anytime soon. ECD are unique in that way too 😀

Since I have sold my ECD stuff couple of weeks ago, I am refreshing the ECD website every 5 seconds looking for updates 😎.

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

3 hours ago, hopkins said:

I'd love to try it out with my active system and compare it with my current DAC.
I am currently based in Istanbul and need to see how easily I can buy one. Otherwise, I have to ask my friend who lives in Holland to get one for me and bring it to me, when he hopefully visits me in the next few weeks. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

3 hours ago, hopkins said:

What do you think...? 😁

17 hours ago, hopkins said:

Although I trust your reports on how good the Powerdac is and I'm tempted to try it now,  I have decided to wait to see how (or if) the S version unfolds, as it would make more sense in my setup. I'm very happy with my current set up so that helps with the further waiting. I am very curious to hear reports from R buyers and whether down the road the S version will be able improve things even more (or not)...

22 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Although I trust your reports on how good the Powerdac is and I'm tempted to try it now,  I have decided to wait to see how (or if) the S version unfolds, as it would make more sense in my setup. I'm very happy with my current set up so that helps with the further waiting. I am very curious to hear reports from R buyers and whether down the road the S version will be able improve things even more (or not)...

Makes perfect sense! There is no need to rush things. We'll get some initial reports to shed some more light on certain critical aspects (source, power supply immunity, streaming VS local playback, overall sound quality, etc..) and I hope we will get more clarity on the amplification aspects from ECD as well: S  model or tube amps and amplifier/speaker matching. 

On my side, I will try to organize some "shootouts" with other DACs if I can. 

ECD confirmed that they purchased a large stock of critical parts, so once that initial batch is sold they should be able to produce others regularly (3/4 weeks at a time). 

29 minutes ago, Norton said:

I ‘ll probably hold back for  a while on this generation and see what else develops.

Makes sense as well. I have some friends who have heard the powerDAC but are waiting also to see if it will be a "stable" product. In addition, for some the looks and/or single Toslink input is  not appealing (in spite of agreement on SQ). 

I'm personally not too worried about John coming up with an entirely new design for the DAC, as he is no longer focused on these aspects, but one never knows.

As mentioned previously, the amplification aspects are still being investigated, AFAIK. 

We can count on the Dutch "hardcore" ECD fans to provide a first set of feedbacks 😁