IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

How much you selling it for wino?

Hey Joe..

Sorry, I was at happy hour...

PM me please..

David

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

Hey Joe..

Sorry, I was at happy hour...

PM me please..

David

can we see more impression : why some people think yggy is the best dac under 5000$

Any mini review about yggy vs other dacs like berkeley,Lampi,hugo ...etc

I listened to yggy before 1 month , I can describe the sound as lean ,very detailed and had some realism that's what I can say.

the best option for this kind of dac is to use tube amp .

What's your target price range for a DAC?

Was looking to replace the MSB Analog… or spent 10K or so… was looking for a while at the Aqua La Scala II which is using the same chips as Trinity, the PCM 1704Ks… 5500… should be here in a week or less..

David

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

David - congrats on your purchase/evaluation of the Aqua La Scala II DAC, it certainly looks like it should be a top performer! Can you confirm the US retail pricing, I thought it was quite a bit higher than what you mentioned above (you can PM me if you prefer to keep this discussion offline.) I look forward to hearing your comments about it one you receive it, you definitely have a very capable and revealing system to evaluate it with! Enjoy the tunes!

David - congrats on your purchase/evaluation of the Aqua La Scala II DAC, it certainly looks like it should be a top performer! Can you confirm the US retail pricing, I thought it was quite a bit higher than what you mentioned above (you can PM me if you prefer to keep this discussion offline.) I look forward to hearing your comments about it one you receive it, you definitely have a very capable and revealing system to evaluate it with! Enjoy the tunes!

Hey Bill-

Thanks for the compliment !

Yes, the retail is 5500.00… After it's broken in, I'll start an impressions thread here… I'm a crappy writer, however I'll try to enlist helpers, haha !

There's more info at Home talk to Mark the owner.. very knowledgable & helpful.. he's the new importer I believe..

I was lucky & grabbed a NOS matched pair of '59 Telefunken ECC81 Diamond bottoms today ! ECC81 Tele's are the only non stock, factory authorized tubes you can roll...

Also grabbed a week ago, a Shunyata Digital PC for the Yggy… great for any DAC… 500 retail..

I'll keep you posted… will get Aqua next Wed. !

David

Don't forget to calibrate those new tubes if the dealer is not doing so for you.

B-

You're omnipresent !

Great point… I'll triple check, but the dealer said these are the only tube that can 'drop in'… according to Aqua...

Your avatar always cracks me up !

d-

Was looking to replace the MSB Analog… or spent 10K or so… was looking for a while at the Aqua La Scala II which is using the same chips as Trinity, the PCM 1704Ks… 5500… should be here in a week or less..

Sounds like you're happy with the MSB Analog. Any specific reason you're replacing it?

In the $5k range, you can also look at the Metrum Pavane. It uses 4 proprietary R2R modules per channel. I think La Scala II uses 2 R2R chips per channel. In the R2R world, the more ladders in parallel, the better the conversion accuracy. It has glowing review at 6moons. The totaldac d1-tube Mk. 2 uses 2 R2R ladders per channel in differential mode and has tube output, just like the La Scala. Each ladder is made up of 96 Vishay VAR Z-Foil, making them very close to being pure resistive. I think it would be a little over $10k when you land one in the US.

I was lucky & grabbed a NOS matched pair of '59 Telefunken ECC81 Diamond bottoms today ! ECC81 Tele's are the only non stock, factory authorized tubes you can roll...

Try to get Telefunken ECC801S - much more expensive but better in the same proportion. I have a pair of such for many years, they are awesome.

The "best DAC available ?" can now be yours on Agon...

I should have mine next week !order has been in

Nice !

Keep in mind… it takes 400 hrs to really become 'on point'…. w/ a load of course, not just simply turned on..

Nice !

Keep in mind… it takes 400 hrs to really become 'on point'…. w/ a load of course, not just simply turned on..

You mean you have to leave it playing for 22 days straight to have it sound ideal? This is beyond break in. This is Perma-on…Sustained audio.

You mean you have to leave it playing for 22 days straight to have it sound ideal? This is beyond break in. This is Perma-on…Sustained audio.

What can I say wisnon ? Try it for yourself…

The manufacturer of my amp said the same thing, although I thought it sounded fine after only 3-4 days.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sounds like you're happy with the MSB Analog. Any specific reason you're replacing it?

In the $5k range, you can also look at the Metrum Pavane. It uses 4 proprietary R2R modules per channel. I think La Scala II uses 2 R2R chips per channel. In the R2R world, the more ladders in parallel, the better the conversion accuracy. It has glowing review at 6moons. The totaldac d1-tube Mk. 2 uses 2 R2R ladders per channel in differential mode and has tube output, just like the La Scala. Each ladder is made up of 96 Vishay VAR Z-Foil, making them very close to being pure resistive. I think it would be a little over $10k when you land one in the US.

FWIW the Audio GD Master 7 uses 8 pces of PCM1704UK and sells for $2200.

That La Scala is really talking to me but unfortunately out of my price range.

I keep wondering about the diminishing returns thing and how much I would need to spend to get in the same ball park.

FWIW the Audio GD Master 7 uses 8 pces of PCM1704UK and sells for $2200.

That La Scala is really talking to me but unfortunately out of my price range.

I keep wondering about the diminishing returns thing and how much I would need to spend to get in the same ball park.

After 2-3 k there is no doubt diminishing returns .

After 2-3 k there is no doubt diminishing returns .

Actually diminishing returns probably start a lot earlier than that. These days you can have fairly decent sounding DACs for a few hundred dollars. From there to 2-3k range is a rather lefty price gap. But it also depends on your personal value. If you appreciate the extra stuff that the latter provides, for you it's worth the extra cost. For others, it might not be. Same is true from 2-3k to 5k, 5k to 10k, 10k to 25k etc.

In other words, how one values the return is subjective. And it isn't fixed either. As you listen more, you value might well change. So I think it's quite impossible to asset where the point of diminishing return really is. Whatever number being thrown around is always justifiable in the mind of the asserter, but others might not agree. But the flip side is, whereever you think it is, it's correct for you (for now at least). You can take comfort in that :D

To some extent those returns depend on how resolving the rest of your system is. No point buying a $3000 DAC if all that information goes down the distortion hole of your cheap tube amp and 1970s speakers.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)