IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

Which Lampizator did you hear - the Big 7 or the Lite 7 ?

Both were being demonstrated at The Show Newport.

In terms of comparing the two Lampis to the Yggy, my listening impressions were similar to yours.

Both Lampizators top the Yggy to my ears by a very wide margin. :)

They seem to be having a tough time over at Schiit producing the Yggy .

Can't seem to get the dac chip for the Yggy .

They seem to be having a tough time over at Schiit producing the Yggy .

Can't seem to get the dac chip for the Yggy .

Well, maybe it's a new DAC chip - not yet in volume production. It does show as being available at Amazon.

AD5791BRUZ Analog Devices Inc | AD5791BRUZ-ND | DigiKey

ANALOG DEVICES - AD5791BRUZ - IC, DAC, 20BIT, 1MSPS, TSSOP-20: Rf Transistors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

• 1 month later...
Nice, i had the gungnir sold it next day yggy comes out, meanwhile a friend borrows his nad m51, yggy comes: gets into the system: is incredible, much better than gungnir and way better than m51! I have bluesound node, rogue audio perseus pre amp, and m180's monos...

I was using the pre amp but i figure why not directly from the node... So now the node constrols the volume and is a step above everything...

I've had my yggy since it came from the fedex truck 10 min laters and everyday gets better! Zero complaints..i'm not an expert and don't have fancy words in my vocabulary to describe the sound, but when i tell you is good, believe me...

BTW, I'm a new member here. I will list some system specs below and in my profile.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone will see and answer this question.

I have a dedicated 2 channel listening area that is based around a Z97 i5-4690k PC with Windows 8.1 Pro

I currently play digital audio with Foobar2000 out through my Asus Xonar Essence STX card with Muses02 op-amps

From there the output then goes into a pair of XLR cables and into a Crown XTi-4000 which drives the Electrostatic panels of my Martin Logan Prodigy speakers. Another set of XLRs comes out of the first Crown XTi-4000 and daisy chains into a 2nd XTi-4000 which drives the bass portion of the Martin Logan Prodigys. A third set of XLRs come out of the 2nd Crown XTI-4000 and go into a third XTI-4000 (bridged mono) which drives a subwoofer I built using a JBL 2242H driver.

Right now I do not use a preamp. The output of the Xonar STX is used to directly power the amps. I use a Windows Remote and let Windows 8.1 handle the volume control.

THE QUESTION: Can I replace the Asus Xonar with a Schiit Yggdrasil and still NOT use a preamp?

In effect I would like to go from my PC -> Yggy -> Crown Amps -> Speakers.

I know to many this may seem like a simpleton question but I do not have the desire or the funds right now to buy a nice preamp.

thanks

Allen

Answered your question in the other thread. (Cross posting is usually considered not polite, BTW, so ordinarily you'll want to choose one thread.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Do not overlook the little brother, the Gungnir. With the Audiobyte Hydra Z SPDIF converter, its a killer DAC. With just USB, its only so so. But with the Hydra Z it was much better than the Yggy. I had both in my system for a while and preferred the Gungnir with the Hydra combination. BTW, I did not like Yggy with the Hydra, it was better as a straight USB DAC.

gjg

Just curious why on a computer audiophile forum we are not talking about this DAC.

Over on Head-fi there are some pretty positive early reviews.... with under to roughly 160 hours in it's showing better... well everything over DACs a LOT more expensive... MSB Signature, TotalDAC, and others are being compared with early impressions (not broken in on the Yggdrasil) being close... very close to these DACs with some aspects already liked better.

Just curious if anyone here is on the order to get one or maybe someone has one and would like to share their impressions.

It's enough that I'm definitely thinking I'll upgrade from my NAD M51 (modified) to it as I've read two different people that said only after 6 hours of use the Yggdrasil is better in every aspect over the NAD M51... which well... that makes me want to get one. hee hee.

There's tons of hype around this DAC and so far... it sounds like, for the most part and most people, are saying that the DAC is everything the hype machine has made it out to be. Which I have to say is a pretty high standard! Of course there are reviews from people that claim no difference from the Schiit Modi Uber which is a fraction of the price. Which I have a little hard time believing that over the person(s) not being able to tell differences due to many different reasons.

I'm also interested in seeing how the USB3 module in it would compare to my (new) Mutec MC1.2 and MC-3+ Smart Clock combination. I'm betting I can get better out of these into the unit via AES than directly through USB into it. But who knows!

So let the discussions begin!!! :)

gjg

Do not overlook the little brother, the Gungnir. With the Audiobyte Hydra Z SPDIF converter, its a killer DAC. With just USB, its only so so. But with the Hydra Z it was much better than the Yggy. I had both in my system for a while and preferred the Gungnir with the Hydra combination. BTW, I did not like Yggy with the Hydra, it was better as a straight USB DAC.

gjg

Thanks for the tip, which Gungnir model was it? And in your experience are there DAC's that sound significantly better that are worth buying?

Thanks for the tip, which Gungnir model was it? And in your experience are there DAC's that sound significantly better that are worth buying?

There are two Gungnir models: (1) the base Gungnir with delta-sigma DACS, and (2) the Gungnir Multibit. The Multibit is significantly more expensive though much less than the Yggdrazil. The multibit uses the Yggdrasil's DSP with "closed-form" oversampling & filtering, and R-2R DACs like the Yggy except different, lower cost versions; it uses the base Gungnir's analog section.

I would like to hear either or both but haven' so far.

I have also ordered regan. What do you mean by "MILLENIAL MODE THERMAL OPTIMIZATION"? Thanks.

I have two guesses:

- He is going to hit the beach and catch some rays.

- When the Yggy comes he is going to plug it in and let it "break in" for a long time.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I prefer the Yggy without the Regen after only playing for an hour right out of the box .

I'm using an Auralic Aries Femto model .

The Yggy sounded veiled with the Regen in my setup .

The Yggy is better out of the box than the Multibit Gungnir which I also have .Bigger

Soundstage in particular . How much better ? I'll let you know after at least a week .

The Yggy has better resolution . I just listened to a song I've heard a hundred times on the Gungnir

and at the end I heard some synths way in the background I've never heard before .i wasn't listening

Intently either . Sort of freaked me out .

I have many hours of listening with the Yggy at a friend's place. I also have had the Gumby for a few weeks. Both are superb DACS. I find that Yggy to be an overall better DAC, but in my system, the Gumby sounds sensational, with a very low noise floor and an incredible level of detail. You may want to relisten to that track through the Gumby. Interestingly, I find that the Jitterbug has less of an effect than with the DS Gungnir. Even weirder, with the Jitterbug in line with the DAC, my computer will not see the DAC unless it is hooked up through the Wyrd (I don't have a Regen) Take the Jitterbug out and the computer sees it just fine. So..... The Jitterbug is out of the direct line. I still get some positive benefit with the Jitterbug in the unused USB port but not as much as with the original Gungnir.

I have many hours of listening with the Yggy at a friend's place. I also have had the Gumby for a few weeks. Both are superb DACS. I find that Yggy to be an overall better DAC, but in my system, the Gumby sounds sensational, with a very low noise floor and an incredible level of detail. You may want to relisten to that track through the Gumby. Interestingly, I find that the Jitterbug has less of an effect than with the DS Gungnir. Even weirder, with the Jitterbug in line with the DAC, my computer will not see the DAC unless it is hooked up through the Wyrd (I don't have a Regen) Take the Jitterbug out and the computer sees it just fine. So..... The Jitterbug is out of the direct line. I still get some positive benefit with the Jitterbug in the unused USB port but not as much as with the original Gungnir.

The Regen I have made considerable audio improvement in the D/S Gungnir for me but not the M/B Gungnir .

And I definitely did not like it with the Yggy ,felt it created a veil over the music .It did the same thing with the Chord 2 Qute

I have .

The Regen is a great product and is at its best with a computer from my experience not an audiophile music streamer .

The difference it made with my iMac was jaw dropping , a huge improvement . Most Dacs I have tried benefitted from

the Regen .

For the money , IMHO, the Multibit Gungnir is the best dac for the money I have listened to .