IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

Who is your 'friend' ? Does he post anywhere ? What is this "megabucks system" ? What are these "several expensive DACs in for testing"

Another to consider in that price range is the Sony HAP-Z1ES Server/DAC. Sells for $1,999 features PCM and DSD 128 playback along with PCM to DSD 128 upsampling in hardware and a very easy to use interface. Very cool!

On demo this weekend in the Sony Room at The Show Newport at the Hotel Irvine.

Hi and just one question. Which source are you using with the Yggy ? and which digital input ?

Thanks a lot. gino

Currently i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini (modded, music only) w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > AQ Diamond USB…

Soon NAS & server...

David

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

Hi Joe-

I'm sorry to be doubtful to your statements & apologize up front-

Who is your 'friend' ? Does he post anywhere ? What is this "megabucks system" ? What are these "several expensive DACs in for testing"

I agree that the Yggy is great for the price.. mine has 600 hours on it today, w/ a constant load on it-

There are many good attributes…

Depending on what you consider "megabuck", my system is pretty good… had a MSB Analog DAC + Power Base here for a week a week or so ago for side by side & owned one for almost 2 yrs-

IMO (& visitors) the Yggy DOES NOT cream it as said by other fanboy/hypers in other forums… nor does it sound like analog/a turntable…

It is absolutely detail driven… it has tremendous bass… it is NOT fatiguing… It DOES get 'glassy' & 'pushed' if played a little loud on many tracks...

I have played most genres & most resolutions for about a month straight...

I would call the Yggy accurate & a reviewers tool… although it does not have a natural analog ebb & flow-

The Yggy is great… I have a Shunyata Digital PC coming which should make a further improvement… it MUST be on footers too, to sound better-

DO NOT believe fanboy hype ! Don't drink the Koolaide !

The Yggy is great, it DOES NOT kill DACs 5-10 times it's price ! Can you name any gear that does ???

I can only name one giant killer… a line stage.. compared to far more expensive preamps, it kicks major butt… the Coincident Linestage...

David

Is this a cute way of calling Joe a liar?LOL.

Is this a cute way of calling Joe a liar?LOL.

I remain "doubtful" as stated...

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

Uh huh . I sense a flame war brewing!

Absolutely not… just wanna hear about the who's, what's, where's, etc.

Next to zero credible info provided….

Would LOVE more info...

Who doesn't love a giant killer ?

David

You know I am in the market for a dac.I just cant decide .Yggy,Chord 2qute,Exasound. Any suggestions?

Using Creek amp,Kef ls50 speakers.2500 or so is the limit.

If you buy the Chord, you can have an honorary Union Jack to fly...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You know I am in the market for a dac.I just cant decide .Yggy,Chord 2qute,Exasound. Any suggestions?

Using Creek amp,Kef ls50 speakers.2500 or so is the limit.

Not familiar w/ your equipment...

TBH, this DAC price level is far lower than I'm used to… so I don't know about other similarly priced DACs…

Having said that, I was sucked into the Yggy hype vortex & drank the Koolaide, haha ! This is the 1st time I've EVER paid full retail (+ friggen tax too) in my life !!

If you're looking for an extremely accurate depiction of your music, combined w/ minimal fatigue, the Yggy is great- It'll need a better PC & some footers imo…

Again though.. if you're looking for a 'turntable' sound… look elsewhere...

Are you using subs ?

Another way to go is used of course...

Not sure if that helped, haha..

David

Not familiar w/ your equipment...

TBH, this DAC price level is far lower than I'm used to… so I don't know about other similarly priced DACs…

Having said that, I was sucked into the Yggy hype vortex & drank the Koolaide, haha ! This is the 1st time I've EVER paid full retail (+ friggen tax too) in my life !!

If you're looking for an extremely accurate depiction of your music, combined w/ minimal fatigue, the Yggy is great- It'll need a better PC & some footers imo…

Again though.. if you're looking for a 'turntable' sound… look elsewhere...

Are you using subs ?

Another way to go is used of course...

Not sure if that helped, haha..

David

Well extremely accurate and minimal fatigue suit me just fine. I have a Benchmark dac2 that is fairly accurate but I would

say,while it is not as fatiguing as earlier Benchmark models,is still somewhat fatiguing.

I would be hooking it up to an Auralic Aries. I dont use subwoofers.

More resolute then my Benchmark 2 hgc and still retaining the warmth and non fatigue factor of my Schiit Gungnir would be a win win !

I really like the Kef Ls50's imaging .That's why I bought them and their ability with female jazz vocalists. But I do listen to all types of music,regularly though my wife hates it when I put on some of the old 70's rock stuff.

Well extremely accurate and minimal fatigue suit me just fine. I have a Benchmark dac2 that is fairly accurate but I would

say,while it is not as fatiguing as earlier Benchmark models,is still somewhat fatiguing.

More resolute then my Benchmark 2 hgc and still retaining the warmth and non fatigue factor of my Schiit Gungnir would be a win win !

I really like the Kef Ls50's imaging .That's why I bought them and their ability with female jazz vocalists. But I do listen to all types of music,regularly though my wife hates it when I put on some of the old 70's rock stuff.

Dang.. 70's rock is awesome !

I would NOT categorize Yggy as "retaining" ANY "warmth" at all… ZERO… in fact, that's exactly what it's MISSING, & why it isn't in the same league as the MSB Analog DAC (which still has all the detail)… Why should it though ? It's 1/7th the price...

David

Dang.. 70's rock is awesome !

I would NOT categorize Yggy as "retaining" ANY "warmth" at all… ZERO… in fact, that's exactly what it's MISSING, & why it isn't in the same league as the MSB Analog DAC (which still has all the detail)… Why should it though ? It's 1/7th the price...

David

So do you think this could be due to the Analog output stage of the DAC? I mean the missing warmth?

So do you think this could be due to the Analog output stage of the DAC? I mean the missing warmth?

You'd have to ask Mike… either design, implementation, or the chipset...

I've owned both the Benchmark and the Hugo and the exaSound is better than either, IMO, and not the least bit fatiguing. You can call it the Commonwealth system :) Were you looking at the e12 or the e22? Not sure if they play nice with the Aries...

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

I've owned both the Benchmark and the Hugo and the exaSound is better than either, IMO, and not the least bit fatiguing. You can call it the Commonwealth system :) Were you looking at the e12 or the e22? Not sure if they play nice with the Aries...

i believe you when you say the Exasound sounds better. Exasound told me their dacs are only mac and windows compatible and wont work with the Aries.

It was my first choice and I would have likely bought the E12 by now. Auralic told me it would not work either.

We are derailed, haha !!

"Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available! ?"

That's because very few have heard the Yggy!

I have heard all the hype before, even bought into a few times. In every case its been just that - hype. Hopefully I can get a hold of one and see what the go really is.

Thanks

Bill

Is it the best dac for 2-4 k ? Clarify your statement for us .

What exactly does promising mean ?

If I had $2k to $4k and was looking for a DAC, would I buy it? No.

But I do think listeners looking for a PCM DAC in the $2k range for headphone use would find it worth a listen.

The Ygg is promising from what heard today at The Show Newport. But I wouldn't call it the "Best DAC available". Time to dial down the hype on it I'd say.

Hey Brian-

Thanks for the show report !

Is the Yggy playing there ? If so w/ what else ??

What is your favorite DAC right now ?

Aren't you in the Bay Area ? If so, you should come by & listen...

David