IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

If I had $2k to $4k and was looking for a DAC, would I buy it? No.

But I do think listeners looking for a PCM DAC in the $2k range for headphone use would find it worth a listen.

I highly doubt this unit is broken in...

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

It might possibly be one of the best under about $5k... but there's others that are just as good/better, just more depends on your tastes.

Once you start getting above that range there's better.

Have you heard it ? What DACs are you familiar w/ "under about $5K" ?

i7 quad core 2.6GHz Mac Mini w/ Mojo Audio linear PS > 4TB HDD > Schiit Yggy (currently) (Aqua La Scala II incoming) > Coindident Linestage > Wavac 805M > Coincident Pure Reference Extreme speakers (full loom High Fidelity cables)

If I had $2k to $4k and was looking for a DAC, would I buy it? No.

But I do think listeners looking for a PCM DAC in the $2k range for headphone use would find it worth a listen.

Just because it doesn't play Dsd which has little material in that format ? I also don't see any headphone jack in the Yggy .

Just because it doesn't play Dsd which has little material in that format ?

Of course it plays DSD, just not native… via PCM instead… & HiRez in general sounds pretty great-

Of my 4500 or so discs, over 10% are SACDs, either the discs or ripped… yes there's "little material in that format"…. however 'little' CD content is actually recorded well enough to be 'worthy' of the bother imo...

Have you heard any dacs with "turntable sound" in low price point?

I'm not familiar w/ DACs under 10-20K besides the Yggy… Probably some of the DACs out there that use the PCM-1704K chips out there can be great for that sound..

I would be immensely pleased to hear your description how CDs recorded well enough to deserve your favor sound in your system. Pretty sure it will set a new standards to valuate an aural experience. Please!

LOL Spin...

I have so many, haha…. + I'm a horrible writer, sadly… I am a little crazy, in that on discs I like (most genres), I'll buy new potentially better versions, as they come out..

Perhaps you're also referring to my earlier statement, which simply meant that, yes few SACDs are made & I assume that's because most CDs are rarely great music that is also recorded well..

What types of music do you listen to ?

Nice system btw...

It might possibly be one of the best under about $5k... but there's others that are just as good/better, just more depends on your tastes.

Once you start getting above that range there's better.

Even in the $2k range the Yggy plays in ($2,300) there are quite a few DACs to choose from.

Sony HAP-Z1ES, ExaSound e12, Lampizator Amber DAC are just three more that come to mind.

With the ever increasing number and choices in the DAC market, it's getting harder to stand out in the marketplace.

Just because it doesn't play Dsd which has little material in that format ? I also don't see any headphone jack in the Yggy .

Jimmy … really, material?

That is so 2014.

All your RBCDs can be on the fly upconverted by HQP to DSD128 or 256 and fed to your DSD capable Dac for STELLAR playback (with a computer). Using the Regen takes it up a few notches.

See here:

Lampizator, HQ Player, Audiopax, Avante Garde: Digital Done Right. | AudioStream

Dont tell me about the Aries my friend, as I am getting one BUT also getting a Server! I want em BOTH.

Look at the tube Dacs.

Phasure Nos1A is about $5K and has a very loyal following.

I'm not paying 5k for a damn dac ! I would have already bought the 2k Exasound dac E12 if it would work with my Auralic Aries . I have asked Auralic to add drivers for the Exasound . I have no idea if this will ever happen .

I highly doubt this unit is broken in...

I assume the folks at Schiit Audio would have broken in the unit before bringing it to the biggest Audio Show in North America (or so the show organizers say).

Also, remember that the booths were set up and running on Thursday for the media, the day before the show opened to the public. So we do know that by Saturday, the Yggy would have had at least 2 1/2 days of play.

Jimmy … really, material?

That is so 2014.

All your RBCDs can be on the fly upconverted by HQP to DSD128 or 256 and fed to your DSD capable Dac for STELLAR playback (with a computer). Using the Regen takes it up a few notches.

See here:

Lampizator, HQ Player, Audiopax, Avante Garde: Digital Done Right. | AudioStream

Dont tell me about the Aries my friend, as I am getting one BUT also getting a Server! I want em BOTH.

Which server are you getting?

I'm not paying 5k for a damn dac ! I would have already bought the 2k Exasound dac E12 if it would work with my Auralic Aries . I have asked Auralic to add drivers for the Exasound . I have no idea if this will ever happen .

BMC PureDac. Lampi Amber, 2Qute…those whould be in budget…

or go used...

I assume the folks at Schiit Audio would have broken in the unit before bringing it to the biggest Audio Show in North America (or so the show organizers say).

Also, remember that the booths were set up and running on Thursday for the media, the day before the show opened to the public. So we do know that by Saturday, the Yggy would have had at least 2 1/2 days of play.

Brian-

You may be right, BUT the Yggy takes 400+ hrs to break-in imo...

I understand the headphone room on at least Friday, was so loud that one couldn't tell good from bad… at least according to Chris' mini show report...

If you wanna hear a broken in Yggy… come on over !

David

Brian-

You may be right, BUT the Yggy takes 400+ hrs to break-in imo...

I understand the headphone room on at least Friday, was so loud that one couldn't tell good from bad… at least according to Chris' mini show report...

If you wanna hear a broken in Yggy… come on over !

David

Wasn't that busy on Saturday, around lunch time when I heard it.

Is this a cute way of calling Joe a liar?LOL.

Gee, another reason not to post in this and other forums. Geez. I do not recall the name of the speakers but all the amp and pre amp are top of the line Spectral. The music is stored on a SS renderer and is controlled via an Ipad. The room has 20 foot ceilings with 4 subs installed in the ceiling. The room is huge and was specially built and designed strictly for audio. I am sure the room itself cost at least $100k to build if not much more. The equipment is on that level. Believe what you want to wino (quite a name by the way, at least I post my real name). This is a serious room built by a serious music listener with over 10,000 discs and lord knows how many LPs. If he gives me permission to post more about the room and the equipment, I will. The Yggy sounded sensational in that room. I didn't hear the other DACs ( Berkley Reference, PS Audio among 2) he auditioned because he had already sent them back but this guy can afford whatever he wants and after a careful evaluation, bought the Yggl, the cheapest price of the several DACs he auditioned. Says an awful lot to me. Believe what you want. I could not care less.

Dang.. 70's rock is awesome !

I would NOT categorize Yggy as "retaining" ANY "warmth" at all… ZERO… in fact, that's exactly what it's MISSING, & why it isn't in the same league as the MSB Analog DAC (which still has all the detail)… Why should it though ? It's 1/7th the price...

David

Just a note, but maybe it doesn't have the warmth you describe because it isn't in the recording to begin with? maybe the MSB is adding warmth to please the audiophile market. Just a thought.

Gee, another reason not to post in this and other forums. Geez. I do not recall the name of the speakers but all the amp and pre amp are top of the line Spectral. The music is stored on a SS renderer and is controlled via an Ipad. The room has 20 foot ceilings with 4 subs installed in the ceiling. The room is huge and was specially built and designed strictly for audio. I am sure the room itself cost at least $100k to build if not much more. The equipment is on that level. Believe what you want to wino (quite a name by the way, at least I post my real name). This is a serious room built by a serious music listener with over 10,000 discs and lord knows how many LPs. If he gives me permission to post more about the room and the equipment, I will. The Yggy sounded sensational in that room. I didn't hear the other DACs ( Berkley Reference, PS Audio among 2) he auditioned because he had already sent them back but this guy can afford whatever he wants and after a careful evaluation, bought the Yggl, the cheapest price of the several DACs he auditioned. Says an awful lot to me. Believe what you want. I could not care less.

Joe-

Thanks for your reply, w/ at least slightly more info…. I'm happy you & he love the Yggy...

I'm not a great writer myself, however this is a great, brief description of the Yggy I agree w/... Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff) - Page 357

I have had the Yggy running for about a month now, constantly w/ a load, playing very dynamic music- I am not familiar w/ the TotalDAC, however from reviews I've read from people who's ears I trust, this description is probably reasonable...

Granted, it's not w/ speakers in a large room, though for me, the description is still spot on w/ what myself and other audio buddies heard here…. about a week of which was in direct comparison to the MSB Analog DAC w/ Power Base…

Not trying to argue w/ yours & the other mystery person's findings- It's impossible to even discuss, w/ so little info-

It's too bad you don't even know the speakers you were listening to…

From the info you provided, the Berkeley Reference DAC was returned... which was very, very highly reviewed here by Chris & also by Harley at TAS… in fact, two of the most glowing DAC reviews I've ever read… hmmm...

Also, from my experience & imo, having heard the Spectral gear several times… I'd say it rides in the analytical camp & would probably be a great reviewers tool… I prefer a more natural, toneful, presentation...

I'd put the Yggy in the same camp.. all about details...

If your guy can afford whatever he wants, he should try the MSB Select, TotalDAC, Trinity, CH Precision C1, & The Lampi GG….

David

Just a note, but maybe it doesn't have the warmth you describe because it isn't in the recording to begin with? maybe the MSB is adding warmth to please the audiophile market. Just a thought.

Interesting point Joe…

Have you heard the MSB DACs ? I owned the Analog for almost 2 yrs… I wouldn't describe it as warm… I would simply say it's very natural sounding, & certainly has a more analog ebb & tide… it doesn't sacrifice detail either-

You're right though, this (on any DAC) depends on the recording...

David