IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

Seems like Mani's test was void because

1) People noted the de-glitch filter made a difference on his non-glitching PCM1704 DAC as well (what the heck?)

2) The competitor is not disclosing the code for what exactly this filter does. This second point is particularly sketchy. The filter should have been designed by an independent party and after the blind trials were done the source code made public. I really don't think it is fair for a direct competitor (also selling a multibit DAC for not that much more than the Yggydrasal) to create the filter and not disclose the code.

Seems like Mani's test was void because

1) People noted the de-glitch filter made a difference on his non-glitching PCM1704 DAC as well (what the heck?)

2) The competitor is not disclosing the code for what exactly this filter does. This second point is particularly sketchy.

+1

I really don't think it is fair for a direct competitor (also selling a multibit DAC for not that much more than the Yggydrasal) to create the filter and not disclose the code.

Although I agree with your main point here, it's not fair to call Mani a direct competitor. He is a longtime customer and supporter and friend of the direct competitor. It doesn't surprise me that readers of this thread would think he works for them.

Also, the only Phazure DAC that I know that sells "for not that much more than the Yggy" is the used one that's sitting unsold for the last couple of weeks on audiogon.com for about $200 more than a brand new Yggy.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Although I agree with your main point here, it's not fair to call Mani a direct competitor. He is a longtime customer and supporter and friend of the direct competitor. It doesn't surprise me that readers of this thread would think he works for them.

Also, the only Phazure DAC that I know that sells "for not that much more than the Yggy" is the used one that's sitting unsold for the last couple of weeks on audiogon.com for about $200 more than a brand new Yggy.

Let's see.

The guy claims the speakers from Phasure are the best.

The guy claims the DAC from Phasure is the best.

The guy claims the s/w and media player from Phasure is the best.

That doesn't sound suspicious?

Folks don't even go for powered speakers because they don't believe the speaker designer has the chops for amplifier design and/or vice versa and yet we are supposed to take one guy's word that one other guy has the chops for building/designing everything that's the best... and oh yes because he wants to continue Schiiting in a competitor's thread.

We need to draw a line somewhere.

On another thread, a DIYer (at least that's my understanding and he's certainly no competitor and is not endorsing any competing products, but rather cheap DIY approach) is getting toasted simply because he dared to ask if the paid and sponsored product is any better than the cheap DIY approach.

And we are supposed to believe there is no innuendo or hidden agenda here when it's a competing product (rather all of the competing products coming from one guy).

Like I said we need to draw the line somewhere.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

The guy claims the speakers from Phasure are the best.

The guy claims the DAC from Phasure is the best.

The guy claims the s/w and media player from Phasure is the best.

That doesn't sound suspicious?

I'm getting really tired of these stupid conspiracy theories. I've been posting here since 2009 and many people who've been here since then have a fair idea of what I'm about. Yes, I am a Phasure customer and really like their products. But I don't use all their products (don't have a Phasure PC, for example). I'm also a customer of Einstein, iFi, Pono, Roon, HQPlayer, and AKG products, just to name a few. And I've got a microRendu sitting waiting for me when I get back home after my current work travels - you can bet I'll be posting my thoughts on that. Gonna accuse me of working for Sonore if I happen to like it?

I hope the following posts from another thread help illustrate how dumb your conspiracy theory is:

Ok I know , I have a good audio pc, win 10 I think this should be enough .

Can I use NOS to play music ,watch movies , youtube plating games...etc ?

PT, if you're looking for a general purpose DAC I would strongly recommend you look at other DACs and not the NOS1a - it's really been designed purely for the highest quality audio replay and requires a software player with the best filtering options. XXHighEnd is the obvious choice, though I've used it with HQ Player too.

Enough of your drivel now.

Mani.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also currently use products from Thöress, Pass Labs, Genelec, Tascam, PS Audio, Townshend, Benz, London Decca, etc, etc, etc...

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

how dumb your conspiracy theory is:

And I don't have a conspiracy theory... just tired of your Schiit.

You insist on posting here when everybody else wants you out.

Why don't you take your drivel elsewhere and leave the Schiit thread alone for starters?

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Mani,

Dont let them upset you. Us old timers know who you are and have much respect for you.

+1,000,000

I'd be way, way more suspicious of people asking for evidence filmed on a cell-phone and posted on Youtube. :P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Give it a rest master.

Now, which part of GIVE IT A REST are you having trouble understanding?

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Dont let them upset you. Us old timers know who you are and have much respect for you.

+1,000,000

Thanks guys.

I'd be way, way more suspicious of people asking for evidence filmed on a cell-phone and posted on Youtube. :P

No don't. It's just too funny (or perhaps more accurately, sad).

Mani.

No don't. It's just too funny (or perhaps more accurately, sad).

Count me in the same boat as you: people (including an IT 'Manager') hurling insults because they ignore that the signal on a USB cable travels as analogue signals made of voltage levels and ramp up and down times, thus making them subject to signal integrity issues.

Sad? Funny?

Both?

On the Web nowadays, any a-hole can write any kind of verifiable non-sense and insult others who know better with near impunity (their reputation isn't glorified though).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Oh I did give it a rest... until you started trolling these parts again.

You be gone and I'll be gone too.

The shill Mani

I thought your entire endeavor of trying to convince others failed miserably ;) If T003 and T004 (which is from your reference DAC) has differences, I failed to understand how can one even conclude anything from T001 and T002....See ur own post below....

+1

I'll say..........

+2

+100... but the guy still does not want to give it a rest... not even for his own good :):):).

Yet another yawn for folks who have nothing better to do than to dig into :)Schiit:).

Comprende?

With all this white noise, it seems I need to (yet again) lay out where I'm coming from in this thread.

My contentions are:

C1. The Yggy has an inaccurate sound

C2. The Yggy has one serious technical flaw, namely glitching

From these contentions, I developed the hypothesis:

H1. The Yggy’s inaccurate sound is caused by its glitching

C1.1 Using a Tascam DA3000, I captured the analogue output of the Yggy as it played back a commercially released 16/44.1 track (passed through bit-perfectly, so using the Yggy's internal filter exclusively). I repeated this procedure using my regular DAC (upsampling to 24/705.6 in XXHighEnd). The captured output from my regular DAC (file T003 posted earlier) sounds very similar to the original 16/44.1 track. The output from the Yggy (file T001 posted earlier) sounds very different to the original 16/44.1 track - way more 'zingy' and anaemic.

C1.2 Generally, I’d describe the sound of the Yggy as ‘holographic’, vibrant and lively. It’s actually very interesting and like nothing I've ever heard before from any DAC. But I hear too much sibilance in voices, and instruments don’t have the body and weight that I’d expect. Again, my regular DAC doesn't do this.

C2.1 The AD5791 chip that the Yggy uses is not designed for audio use. It exhibits glitching at the zero cross-over point.

AD5791 1kHz @ -90dBFS.png

C2.2 With the design choices taken in the Yggy, the glitching remains prevalent (20dB down from the reference signal here):

Yggy 1kHz @ -90dBFS.JPG

C2.3 As a reference point, there is zero glitching in my regular DAC:

Phasure NOS1a 1kHz @ -90dBFS.png

C2.4 As a reference point, the Yggy has a THD+N measurement an order of magnitude higher than my regular DAC:

- Yggy = ~0.006%

- ref DAC = ~0.0006%

My regular DAC with no glitching has a THD+N 20dB lower than that of the Yggy. I’m assuming this is down to glitching in the Yggy.

I devised what I thought was a fail-safe way of testing this hypothesis, but unfortunately I was wrong and didn't manage to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

Over and out.

Mani.

With all this white noise, it seems I need to (yet again) lay out where I'm coming from in this thread.

My contentions are:

From these contentions, I developed the hypothesis:

C1.1 Using a Tascam DA3000, I captured the analogue output of the Yggy as it played back a commercially released 16/44.1 track (passed through bit-perfectly, so using the Yggy's internal filter exclusively). I repeated this procedure using my regular DAC (upsampling to 24/705.6 in XXHighEnd). The captured output from my regular DAC (file T003 posted earlier) sounds very similar to the original 16/44.1 track. The output from the Yggy (file T001 posted earlier) sounds very different to the original 16/44.1 track - way more 'zingy' and anaemic.

C1.2 Generally, I’d describe the sound of the Yggy as ‘holographic’, vibrant and lively. It’s actually very interesting and like nothing I've ever heard before from any DAC. But I hear too much sibilance in voices, and instruments don’t have the body and weight that I’d expect. Again, my regular DAC doesn't do this.

C2.1 The AD5791 chip that the Yggy uses is not designed for audio use. It exhibits glitching at the zero cross-over point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26013[/ATTACH]

C2.2 With the design choices taken in the Yggy, the glitching remains prevalent (20dB down from the reference signal here):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26014[/ATTACH]

C2.3 As a reference point, there is zero glitching in my regular DAC:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26015[/ATTACH]

C2.4 As a reference point, the Yggy has a THD+N measurement an order of magnitude higher than my regular DAC:

- Yggy = ~0.006%

- ref DAC = ~0.0006%

My regular DAC with no glitching has a THD+N 20dB lower than that of the Yggy. I’m assuming this is down to glitching in the Yggy.

I devised what I thought was a fail-safe way of testing this hypothesis, but unfortunately I was wrong and didn't manage to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

Over and out.

Mani.

I would want to eliminate differences between filters as a candidate before I settled on slightly over 5 thousandths of a percent greater THD+N as an explanation.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

With all this white noise

snip...

sniff...

Now, which part of YOU ARE A SHILL, YOUR ENTIRE ENDEAVOR OF TRYING TO CONVINCE OTHERS FAILED MISERABLY, and YOU NEED TO STOP SCHIITING are you having trouble understanding?

Frankly I think your whacked at this point.

Now, which part of YOU ARE A SHILL, YOUR ENTIRE ENDEAVOR OF TRYING TO CONVINCE OTHERS FAILED MISERABLY, and YOU NEED TO STOP SCHIITING are you having trouble understanding?

+1

I would want to eliminate differences between filters as a candidate before I settled on slightly over 5 thousandths of a percent greater THD+N as an explanation.

In case you folks actually don't know how to formulate a cogent comment/criticism, there's an example.

Do you honestly think all this mouth-breathing stuff helps some poor soul looking (mostly in vain) for informed discussion about Yggy? Do you think it helps tell people why you like Yggy? Do you think it helps get Mani out of the thread, for that matter? I know at least Master is intelligent enough to have an informed conversation. So have one and then it's done, instead of prolonging things for pages on end of useless insults.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

How sad for a reference DAC. In fact that DAC has been on/expired/on in Audiogon for months. Go figure ;)