IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Thanks for the musical impressions. I'm considering getting an Aurender and would be interested to hear how your CD rips compare to the TIDAL and vinyl equivalents?

Hallo Rexp, I only have CD rips, no vinyl.

I have tested on some newer music, and can't detect any difference if it is Tidal or the local HDD. I have tried to monitor my Router, and I can see that it loads the whole track the first seconds, when it comes to the end of the current track it loads the next in the playlist to memory. I am thinking that it make no difference if the data comes form, the internet, a NAS or the local disk.

In the 6 weeks I had my N100H, I think I have used the HDD two times, might as well have gone for the model without the HDD.

Kind regards Morten

Hallo Rexp, I only have CD rips, no vinyl.

I have tested on some newer music, and can't detect any difference if it is Tidal or the local HDD. I have tried to monitor my Router, and I can see that it loads the whole track the first seconds, when it comes to the end of the current track it loads the next in the playlist to memory. I am thinking that it make no difference if the data comes form, the internet, a NAS or the local disk.

In the 6 weeks I had my N100H, I think I have used the HDD two times, might as well have gone for the model without the HDD.

Kind regards Morten

Super, thanks for the feedback!

I would consider removing (or unplugging) the HDD then, you will possibly experience SQ improvement (I'm on N100 without an internal HD). NAS works great with Aurender.

6 weeks I had my N100H, I think I have used the HDD two times, might as well have gone for the model without the HDD.

Kind regards Morten

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Is there any way to edit or remove some of the buttons on the 2nd row of the ipad app? My current NAS hard drive folder structure has 15 folders below one of the subfolders. I would prefer none of them appear in the 2nd row.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Is there any way to edit or remove some of the buttons on the 2nd row of the ipad app? My current NAS hard drive folder structure has 15 folders below one of the subfolders. I would prefer none of them appear in the 2nd row.

User Nameable Folder Buttons

The second row of browser buttons will show all files (All), 5 user nameable buttons (for Aurender with one HDD and 11 for Aurender with two HDDs), and all folders (Misc.). In case of 11 folders, swipe the 5 user nameable buttons to the left or right and another set of 5 user nameable buttons will appear. The button names can be changed by renaming the folder names on the hard drives.

Up to ten button names can be changed. Users can designate the five (or eleven) folder names by placing square brackets around the folder names – for example, [My Songs].

If you press one of this button, the contents under that folder will be shown in the Contents window. If Aurender has two HDDs and both HDDs has a folder with the same name of pressed button, contents on both HDDs will be shown.

Pressing the MISC button (the last button) will show all the folders except these buttons folders in the Content window.

Up to ten button names can be changed. Up to five folder names on each of the hard drives will be shown on the user nameable browser buttons. If there are more than 5 folders on a hard disk drive, then first five folder names will appear on the buttons. Users can designate the five folder names by placing square brackets around the folder names – for example, [My Songs]. Pressing the MISC button will show all the folders in the Content window.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Damn. Thought I was finally rid of upgraditis. Your description has me pumped, HDGeorge. Like you I have gone through the LH and currently on the Total Dac 1. I'll prolly be sucked in before long. Oh, Christmas is coming - Oh - Oh! I think it will come very early this year...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard the N100H vs the X100S/L + Linear PSU?

I didn't think that you could get an X100S/L with a linear power supply. From what a dealer inferred (if I interpret his response correctly), they sound pretty much the same.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

You can indeed, Ken Lau sells them...

How I boosted my Aurender X100L

I even read that doing so brings the X100 performance close to the W20.

Not inexpensive. I wonder whether it is certified for sale in the U.S. It appears to be a very robust unit which I hope is very quiet but I hesitate to import something that may not be insurable. I am compiling a list of questions for Mr. Lau and will pass the answers on.

Not inexpensive. I wonder whether it is certified for sale in the U.S. It appears to be a very robust unit which I hope is very quiet but I hesitate to import something that may not be insurable. I am compiling a list of questions for Mr. Lau and will pass the answers on.

Thanks - look forward to your findings.

Abyss - Audeze - Sen

Simaudio Moon 600i - Lumin A1

Kii Three - KEF LS50

rwwjr44,

I wonder if such a LPSU could improve the SQ of W20 which is partly battery powered , but afaik the MB is powered by SPSU.

Could you pls ask the opinion of Mr Ken Lau in your correspondance?

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

I now have the W20 and asked Aurender what is battery vs SMPS powered. If I understood correctly, the audio board(s) are on battery supply and the 3 hard drives are all on the SMPS. Given all the positive posts here around optimizing CAPS machines, etc. this started me thinking about the feasibility of routing in a Anker battery supply to run at least the SSD OS drive. Also intending to get a Paul Pang sata cable to run from the SSD to the motherboard. I suspect the ppa cable will come first.

Any other W20 owners out have similar, or other ideas?

Thx

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

Hello all,

Courtesy DMelby's earlier post and other great reviews, I've recently pushed the button on an N10 to replace a Sonore, expected tomorrow and pretty stoked to hear it, get it set up.

1. Can anyone advise the ideal folder structure and any tips/traps copying music files across? I have about 1 TB mostly flacs with default cover art labelled, "folder.jpg". I understand the Aurender default is "front.jpg" and can also use back.jpg. Can it also use PDF's - ie back.pdf?

2. I'll be using the AES/EBU output from the N10 to connect to the AES/EBU input of my McIntosh MX151 - any MX151 users out there who can comment on their experience with this interface? Any issues?

3. WRT power - The N10 comes with Linear power supply - should I plug that directly into the mains or should I plug into my existing mains purifier/distribution board (Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier) Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution). Very much welcome your opinions on this as to optimum SQ, as I have one power socket left on the distribution board.

4. Also as a suggestion, it might make sense to have a separate forum/sub forum dealing specifically with the Aurender Conductor app/interfaces generally (Roon), which looks brilliant. Welcome opinions on this too.

Greetings from Sydney - Glad to be aboard.

Jim

PS >> My thanks to DMelby for such a thoughtful, considered review

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

Nordost Blue Heaven (Power Leads),

Billy Bags (Cracked Glass, AV Rack)

~

New version of the conductor app is now available. IIRC Tidal integration is the big feature.

Just removed my AQJB (Jitterbug) from one of the empty USB ports on my N100 (after a couple of months).

I had stopped listening to music for extended periods and stopped foot tapping. I couldn't work out why, so I removed the REGEN and put it back in within 2 tracks - it's slightly better with it in.

Last night I was getting annoyed that my system had lost its 'boogie and soul' so I pulled out the AQJB... Bingo... analogue central!

AQJB may well help inferior kit, but it wasn't helping my N100.

Anyone who has Aurender products and is using an AQJB should listen again with it removed.

(Best performance appears to be: TotalDAC filter cable > REGEN (with LPS) - using optical LAN isolation (via fibre media converter with LPS)

Hope this helps.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I have an N100H into a Black Cat USB into an AMR DP777. I have been using both the AQJB and Uptone Regen in tandem. Got the AQJB first, noticed an improvement, and when the Regen arrived I put it in the signal chain without thinking twice (or once) about removing the AQJB. Having seen r_w's post, I removed my AQJB and fed signal only to the Regen. No doubt about it IN MY SYSTEM, the sound is much better with both. The sound was brighter, coarser, and with less spatial cues once I removed the AQJB. Bass was less taught. With both, my SQ is very much akin to my vinyl rigs which are top notch (VPI Prime, Benz Glider, Manely Steelhead, Thorens TD124, Benz Glider, Manley Steelhead).

I have an N100H into a Black Cat USB into an AMR DP777. I have been using both the AQJB and Uptone Regen in tandem. Got the AQJB first, noticed an improvement, and when the Regen arrived I put it in the signal chain without thinking twice (or once) about removing the AQJB. Having seen r_w's post, I removed my AQJB and fed signal only to the Regen. No doubt about it IN MY SYSTEM, the sound is much better with both. The sound was brighter, coarser, and with less spatial cues once I removed the AQJB. Bass was less taught. With both, my SQ is very much akin to my vinyl rigs which are top notch (VPI Prime, Benz Glider, Manely Steelhead, Thorens TD124, Benz Glider, Manley Steelhead).

I concur with your findings as they mirror my experience from the very beginning. The only difference is that I started with the Regen (amber) first then added the AQJB, and the results were positive. In fact, just as you describe the qualities of the improvement. And, when I added a second AQJB to the empty USB output port next to the AQJB/LightSpeed to Regen/hard adaptor/W4SDac2DSDse, the improvement was enhanced further sonically with the qualities you assessed. I also employ a JS-2 and MMK initially which also produced improvements except for the Regen's pluses and minuses which were then cured by AQJB and then a step up with the second AQJB.

Offered in support of your findings as a contrast frame for others to consider. Sorry for the OT as this is an Aurender thread.

Best,

Richard

Very interesting, your SQ findings are almost polar opposite...

With the AQJB, my system initially appears more detailed, but it's only more detailed because it has enhanced (unnatural) brightness and is thinner (less body and warmth), it might also be that there is a shade less grain (the only possible minute positive), but it's all at the expense of lushness and musicality and it's a horrible price to pay.

It is probably the case that my TotalDAC filter cable is doing a good job of cleaning the signal for the regen and your AQJB is doing some of that work for you.

In my system the AQJB is never going to make a return.

PS. I'm using Auralic VEGA DAC, so our systems aren't identical (but would have thought having the AQJB in an unused USB port would only affect the N100).

PPS. Make sure you do the other tweaks LPS (for everything) and optical LAN isolation.

;-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I added a DXD album to my Aurender N100H Music1 disk. When the files would not play, I removed them from Music1 thinking the album cover would disappear from Conductor. It did not.

Does anyone know if there is another way to remove the album cover?

I added a DXD album to my Aurender N100H Music1 disk. When the files would not play, I removed them from Music1 thinking the album cover would disappear from Conductor. It did not.

Does anyone know if there is another way to remove the album cover?

Did you rescan the data base?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific