IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

(1) If I were to get an N100 and wanted to have my music on an external drive plugged into one of the USB ports, what kind of operating-system formatting would that external drive need?

(2) Also, the music files on that external drive...could they be arranged like this:

ALBUM-ARTIST-NAME FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

(3) What about compilation albums? Currently, they have "Various" as the Album Artist, and arranged as:

COMPILATIONS FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

(4) Related question: If I were to get an N100H and I was going to be transferring music files from my Macintosh to that unit's internal drive, that's by using the Aurender Media Manager application, right?

(5) Last question for now: How much of a sound quality difference might there be between the music files on an SSD external drive vs. on the N100H's internal hard-disc drive?

Dave, who needs to hear and find out and know whether or not the Aurender unit would best the sound quality of his current main system which pleases him greatly and whose USB-SPDIF converter and DAC and amplifier and speakers he would still use

1) any HDD formated by an Mac should work, at least all of mine are visible to my Aurender X100

2) as long as all files are properly tagged you could simply just drop them without any folder structure as the aurender will use the metadata to sort songs according to the information embedded in the music files. But for convenience reason I create a folder structure GENRE-ARTIST-ALBUM. Advantage is that the second row browser buttons will show the contents of the folders on the Aurender HDD. By default the folder names of an internal Aurender HDD are All, Classic, Pop, Jazz, Local and Misc. If you delete the default folders, your GENRE folders will be displayed in the second row of the Browser Buttons. Applies to Aurender models with internal HDD, but does not apply for external HDD connected to the USB port. If you want to use external USB drive you need to choose Folder in the first row of the Browser Buttons to navigate through your albums and an album folder structure is mandatory.

3) I assign Compilations albums to a genre and sort them in the appropriate folder GENRE-VARIOUS-ALBUM

4) No need for AMM when transferring files from your Mac to the internal Aurender HDD, simple copy job. You need to connect the Aurender HDD via Mac menu Go .. Connect to server .... as described in the manual. AMM is needed when using NAS as source.

5) Theoretically none or irrelavent as all audio files will be copied to the internal caching SSD of the Aurender before playback

I'd defintely go for the N100H with an internal HDD.

Enjoy. You won't regret.

Cheers

Tom

My question is based on N10 and the iPad app, but probably applies to any Aurender with an internal drive, and where one is using a NAS for external files.

If a USB HDD is plugged into a rear USB port on the N10, there is a provision in the iPad App to automatically upload the contents of the USB drive onto the Aurender

drives.

Is there some way to auto-upload the contents of a NAS, or is it only

"drop and drag"?

The AMM scan apparently reads the files on the NAS but the files continue to reside on the NAS, so that is NOT my question.

The question is whether there's a way to transfer NAS files to the N10 other than

drop and drag.

thanks

Only drag and drop/copy and paste is possible for transferring files from a NAS to the internal HDD of an Aurender. Need to be done via your PC or Mac.

Tom, thanks so much for your detailed response.

I realize, though, that I could have been more clear with questions #2 and #3.

That is, the file structures I described in each question are the current file structures.

and

And with about 2100 albums, I have no desire to redo the folder structures.

So, am I understanding correctly that since all the albums have been tagged by genre, I would not need to redo the folder structures?

Would that be true for compilation albums too?

One new question: Is it correct that the N100H can be customized by Aurender or the dealer with an internal SSD for storage rather than a HDD?

Dave, who loves this forum for this kind of sharing of knowledge and information

1) any HDD formated by an Mac should work, at least all of mine are visible to my Aurender X100

2) as long as all files are properly tagged you could simply just drop them without any folder structure as the aurender will use the metadata to sort songs according to the information embedded in the music files. But for convenience reason I create a folder structure GENRE-ARTIST-ALBUM. Advantage is that the second row browser buttons will show the contents of the folders on the Aurender HDD. By default the folder names of an internal Aurender HDD are All, Classic, Pop, Jazz, Local and Misc. If you delete the default folders, your GENRE folders will be displayed in the second row of the Browser Buttons. Applies to Aurender models with internal HDD.

3) I assign Compilations albums to a genre and sort them in the appropriate folder GENRE-VARIOUS-ALBUM

4) No need for AMM when transferring files from your Mac to the internal Aurender HDD, simple copy job. You need to connect the Aurender HDD via Mac menu Go .. Connect to server .... as described in the manual. AMM is needed when using NAS as source.

5) Theoretically none or irrelavent as all audio files will be copied to the internal caching SSD of the Aurender before playback

I'd defintely go for the N100H with an internal HDD.

Enjoy. You won't regret.

Cheers

Tom

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Tom, thanks so much for your detailed response.

I realize, though, that I could have been more clear with questions #2 and #3.

That is, the file structures I described in each question are the current file structures.

and

And with about 2100 albums, I have no desire to redo the folder structures.

So, am I understanding correctly that since all the albums have been tagged by genre, I would not need to redo the folder structures?

Would that be true for compilation albums too?

One new question: Is it correct that the N100H can be customized by Aurender or the dealer with an internal SSD for storage rather than a HDD?

Dave, who loves this forum for this kind of sharing of knowledge and information

I created the folder structure as seen on the screenshot below on my HDD1 of my Aurender. To prioritise the genres I simply put a number in front of the folder name. In those folders I copied the artist folders from my original Itunes libary. This works flawless once the genre tagging in itunes is identical to the ones on your Aurender HDD. Then I deleted the default folders by Aurender.

finder.jpg

As you can on the screenshot of my Aurender Conductor app my personal Genre folder structure is now available in the second Browser Buttons row.

IMG_0395.jpg

The folder structure you describe should flawless apply as long as they are tagged with matching genre types.

I don't know if Aurender or the dealers will substitute the internal HDD with an SSD, theoratically should be no problem as long as all power/voltage specs are met. But to be honest I doubt there will be an audible improvement as all files will be copied to your internal SSD prior to playback. But if you want to remove even the last mechanical component I see no impediment others then warranty issues, so there should be an approval by Aurender.

Addendum: I retested connecting an USB drive and scanned the USB drive with AMM to update the Aurender database. Now the metadata and album covers on the USB drive are also visible. External USB drive albums will be accessible in the second row of the Browser Buttons where you can see the button Misc.

My question is based on N10 and the iPad app, but probably applies to any Aurender with an internal drive, and where one is using a NAS for external files.

If a USB HDD is plugged into a rear USB port on the N10, there is a provision in the iPad App to automatically upload the contents of the USB drive onto the Aurender

drives.

Is there some way to auto-upload the contents of a NAS, or is it only

"drop and drag"?

The AMM scan apparently reads the files on the NAS but the files continue to reside on the NAS, so that is NOT my question.

The question is whether there's a way to transfer NAS files to the N10 other than

drop and drag.

thanks

I am pretty sure that some form of drag and drop is your only option.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Hi,

I have some tagged FLACS in which a single tag has multiple values. Before I used minimserver or Jriver, I can use "value1;value2" in the tag and minimserver/Jriver can recognize both values. However, after I changed to Aurender, it seems can only recognize "value1" ONLY.

Is the Aurender cannot support multiple tag values yet?

Thanks.

Kevin

Hi all, I have a huge library, and often add new albums, almost on a daily basis. How does this work for the aurender in terms of time taken for the new additions to be visible on the device? Both via external NAS library and internal HD library?

Copying the music to NAS or aurender HD I guess is a quick and simple process, however how long does for the unit take to re-scan the entire library to see what changes are made?

Hi all, I have a huge library, and often add new albums, almost on a daily basis. How does this work for the aurender in terms of time taken for the new additions to be visible on the device? Both via external NAS library and internal HD library?

Copying the music to NAS or aurender HD I guess is a quick and simple process, however how long does for the unit take to re-scan the entire library to see what changes are made?

A) I have the same question.

B) I would imagine that amount of time might differ depending which model of Aurender one is using.

Music is love, made audible.

I download the purchased files at my desk on the second floor of my house.

Then I transfer them to W20 HD , depending on the size of the album it takes from 2 to 4 minutes approx with standard ethernet connection.

When the transfer is finished I go to my living room on the first floor.

I open the Conductor app and then files appear. Some ISO files need to be converted and it requires more time, but all pcm files are accesible immediately after the transfer from my computer.

Rgds marslo

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

I always do a partial scan manually after adding albums and it usually takes about a minute or more depending on the size and number of files. I don't know how long it takes to scan the NAS for AMM(?).

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I always do a partial scan manually after adding albums and it usually takes about a minute or more depending on the size and number of files. I don't know how long it takes to scan the NAS for AMM(?).

I also do but only if the system does not show the new download automaticaly.

To scan the whole HD could take up to 10-15 min when the library is about 2TB - that's my case.

I do not have NAS however.

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

and another question, I have relatively long and detailed genre names. will these be easily visible via a type of 'list view' within the genres tab in the app? I have seen only screenshots of genres as icons, which might make it difficult.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22799[/ATTACH]

When you tag the genre of your audio files like your finder folder view then you should see them accordingly in Aurender once you select genre ... But no list view is only tile view.

Btw, nice genre list.. I recently discovered dark ambient and enjoy listening to Demdike Stare, Haxan Cloak or Raime. Any additional recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Tom

I am evaluating an Aurender W20, I have a good music server already, the sound initially strikes me as being quite different, but the more I listen I realise that it is significantly better than anything I have heard making it very hard to go backwards. I am using the AES 110 ohm connection into a Nagra HD DAC with MPS, I find the AES connection to be more much musical than USB. As the W20 is now 3 years old, are there any rumours that there will be a new model soon to replace the W20? I am prepared to buy the W20 so good is the sound quality but would also like to be able to run Roon and reading this thread it seems that is not possible yet?

I have a new DAC arriving within days that has an external clock output, has anyone tried the W20 with and without it to assess the difference it makes?

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

Hi All,

i was reading details of the N100H on Aurender site, and there is a fine print "

* DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2. Only plays uncompressed DSD (No DST)

Specifications are subject to change without notice. "

What does "DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2" means?

understand N100H only supports up to dsd128, will future firmware update allow it to support dsd256 or higher?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Hi All,

i was reading details of the N100H on Aurender site, and there is a fine print "

* DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2. Only plays uncompressed DSD (No DST)

Specifications are subject to change without notice. "

What does "DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2" means?

understand N100H only supports up to dsd128, will future firmware update allow it to support dsd256 or higher?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

DoP means that the DSD signal is "wrapped" in a PCM signal. This makes the interface components consider the signal a true PCM signal and pass it through to the DAC. The DAC recognizes that this is a "wrapped" DSD signal, "unwraps" it and processes it as a true DSD signal. I don't know if Aurender will support DSD256 in the future.

DoP means that the DSD signal is "wrapped" in a PCM signal. This makes the interface components consider the signal a true PCM signal and pass it through to the DAC. The DAC recognizes that this is a "wrapped" DSD signal, "unwraps" it and processes it as a true DSD signal. I don't know if Aurender will support DSD256 in the future.

Hi rwwjr44,

thank u for the explanation. I checked the tech spec of my DAC (Wadia di322), there was no mention of any support of DSD over PCM, how to I ensure that they are compatible?

Thanks.

Hi rwwjr44,

thank u for the explanation. I checked the tech spec of my DAC (Wadia di322), there was no mention of any support of DSD over PCM, how to I ensure that they are compatible?

Thanks.

1) You can try it and see if it works.

2) You can contact Wadia.

From the website

di322

+ Wishlist

The di322 digital audio decoder keeps Wadia at the forefront of digital music playback by adding expanded support for high fidelity DSD files to the Wadia line. Via the USB input, the di322 supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 music files. PCM files with sampling rates up to 32-bit/384kHz – including DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz formats – can also be played through the USB input. With the addition of DSD support, digital music lovers can experience and enjoy some of the latest high resolution music offerings. Its 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs accept music with resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, while the DIN input will allow future Wadia models to connect to the di322 at high performance levels.

There is no mention of DoP but the site doesn't mention DSD direct either. Try it and see. :)

Anyone know when Aurender will be adding MQA and Roon support capabilities? Seems that Auralic have now announced that they are supporting these in their next firmware update for the Aries streamer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just received email saying that Aurender is evaluating Roon. I didn't ask about MQA.

I just received email saying that Aurender is evaluating Roon. I didn't ask about MQA.

Thanks rwwjr44 - maybe we should ask Aurender for there time line on planned updates.

I was an Auralic Aries user - but the SQ of the Aurender is so much better.

Thanks rwwjr44 - maybe we should ask Aurender for there time line on planned updates.

Pretty excited about MQA and Roon. The Roon reply was the same one I received 4 mos ago so was hoping for a little more info.

Aurender may be a little behind but I am willing to wait. I have progressed from The Bryston BDP-1, Mac Mini, Auralic Aries( Femto) to the Aurender N100S and by far the best SQ has come from the Aurender.

Hopefully we will hear a little at CES.

Happy New Year ,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Pretty excited about MQA and Roon. The Roon reply was the same one I received 4 mos ago so was hoping for a little more info.

Aurender may be a little behind but I am willing to wait. I have progressed from The Bryston BDP-1, Mac Mini, Auralic Aries( Femto) to the Aurender N100S and by far the best SQ has come from the Aurender.

Hopefully we will hear a little at CES.

Happy New Year ,

Russ

Let's hope so Russ - Aurender have a great product but need to keep up with what the industry is doing in order to stay ahead.

For those with experience with AMM & the Hardrive on the Aurender (such as the N10).

Let's say that AMM has been used to scan a NAS and now all albums are seen in the App.

Now, let's say that we want to copy ( not move) files / albums from the NAS to the Aurender N10 Drives.

AND avoid duplicates.

How do you eliminate the items that AMM has scanned from the NAS?

Taken to the extreme - let's say we want the entire NAS library copied to the N10

and we won't be scanning the NAS anymore with the AMM.

How does one eliminate the albums that are already captured by the AMM?

( without moving/deleting/wiping them from the NAS)

I've played around a bit without finding a solution; doesn't seem to be on any of the threads; can't find a citation in the aurender materials. I may have missed it, and if so, please point me in the right direction, or any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

thx.