IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Oh no, here we go... I'm going to have to investigate that now.

Edit... LOL just looked at the price... to high for wire.

I already get the full 3D / real experience you describe, by removing the power line, and for some reason my Vega works with the ground removed also = only the 2 data pins connected.

I would have gone REGEN before a cable of that price as I suspect that with REGEN the difference between the two cables will be lessened.

Thanks for sharing in any case.

(are you on optical LAN isolation yet?)

;-)

Recently I bought the new Stealth USB cable after vast listening and replaced my (previous) TotalDac USB filter. I was shocked by the difference.

Everything is in a whole new three dimensional soundstage with lots of more dynamics and even sweeter tone (which was totaldac's main game). The sound is more organic now and with lots of presence. Kinda spooky feeling like being in a live concert.

Aurender and Stealth Audio USB is a fantastic match.

Regen is also on order.

Non stop ride; this is.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Oh no, here we go... I'm going to have to investigate that now.

Edit... LOL just looked at the price... to high for wire.

I already get the full 3D / real experience you describe, by removing the power line, and for some reason my Vega works with the ground removed also = only the 2 data pins connected.

I would have gone REGEN before a cable of that price as I suspect that with REGEN the difference between the two cables will be lessened.

Thanks for sharing in any case.

(are you on optical LAN isolation yet?)

;-)

I have a Amber Regen connected to my AMR DAC being fed by my X100 and a TotalDAC usb cable. The Regen is powered by a 12v SBooster LPS. After 6 weeks of using the Regen in my setup I have removed it out of curiosity and I must admit there is no difference... Being surprised I tried several A/B tests with different song titles of all genres ... Neither improvement nor degradation in sound quality. Maybe my first impressions where psycho-acoustics based on flaming reports by other forum members.. or the quality of the USB interface of my Aurender in combination with the totalDAC cable is on such a mature level it's hard to improve. Anyway, I'll give the Regen a break and will replug into my 777SE in a couple of weeks to see what happens.

btw, I have a Berkeley Alpha USB as well and there's no improvement in connecting via XLR to my AMR compared to direct USB while Jitterbug in my Aurender was a audible degradation.

Anyone else having the problem to upgrade X100 Aurender to new firmware 4.3.155 ?

Upgrade fails at 69% and forces Aurender to restart. Tried several times to upgrade with no success. Unfortunately, Aurender support didn't reply to my mail yet due to RMAF.

Good insightful post,

It's clear the better the USB implementation of the kit - and general noise optimisation of the system - the less there is for a regen or anything else to improve, my system sounds very good at the moment, I don't really want to change anything.

Improvements, however small, add up and fortunately many of these tweaks are not expensive.

;-)

I have a Amber Regen connected to my AMR DAC being fed by my X100 and a TotalDAC usb cable. The Regen is powered by a 12v SBooster LPS. After 6 weeks of using the Regen in my setup I have removed it out of curiosity and I must admit there is no difference... Being surprised I tried several A/B tests with different song titles of all genres ... Neither improvement nor degradation in sound quality. Maybe my first impressions where psycho-acoustics based on flaming reports by other forum members.. or the quality of the USB interface of my Aurender in combination with the totalDAC cable is on such a mature level it's hard to improve. Anyway, I'll give the Regen a break and will replug into my 777SE in a couple of weeks to see what happens.

btw, I have a Berkeley Alpha USB as well and there's no improvement in connecting via XLR to my AMR compared to direct USB while Jitterbug in my Aurender was a audible degradation.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Anyone else having the problem to upgrade X100 Aurender to new firmware 4.3.155 ?

Upgrade fails at 69% and forces Aurender to restart. Tried several times to upgrade with no success. Unfortunately, Aurender support didn't reply to my mail yet due to RMAF.

My upgrade went without a hitch.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

SQ of my new N100H after 3 wks. is superb. Best investment I ever made in my system. Really enjoying it (as opposed to fiddling with it.)!

Just wondered if I still needed the amber Regen. It does add a little more separation of instruments and wider soundstage. No difference I can tell to tone or freq. range.

Thank you, Aurender!

SQ of my new N100H after 3 wks. is superb. Best investment I ever made in my system. Really enjoying it (as opposed to fiddling with it.)!

Just wondered if I still needed the amber Regen. It does add a little more separation of instruments and wider soundstage. No difference I can tell to tone or freq. range.

Thank you, Aurender!

Yes it does take a long time to breake inn. I have removed the Regen some weeks ago, I don't miss it, I think it sounds more natural without it, I am told that you need a LPS for the Regen to really shine...

Kind Regards Morten

If your unit is from one of the earlier batches, an upgrade might be needed (changing an USB module inside), which is best performed by your dealer.

/ Marcus

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

If your unit is from one of the earlier batches, an upgrade might be needed (changing an USB module inside), which is best performed by your dealer.

/ Marcus

Many thanks for the info .. Mine is definitely one of the first 10 being sold in Germany ?. What exactly needs to be changed on the USB module ?

Anyone have experiences with the Audioquest Jitterbug in the Aurender X100L?

I plugged one in between the X100L and Bryston BDA-2 DAC (Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable) and noticed improvement. There's better focus, tighter and more detailed bass, wider soundstage, and better separation. Adding a second Jitterbug to one of the other two USB ports (the ones for external hard drives under the Ethernet port) resulted in additional improvement; most noticeable effect is wider soundstage, but there seems to be less clarity (more diffused sound? I'm not sure). Wondering what others' experiences are with the Jitterbug, especially two of them in the X100L.

Yes it does take a long time to breake inn. I have removed the Regen some weeks ago, I don't miss it, I think it sounds more natural without it, I am told that you need a LPS for the Regen to really shine...

Kind Regards Morten

I auditioned Regen with Teddy Pardo PS a few month ago and did not like it in my system. I kept the mouth shut because 99 % of Regen's owners were happy. It made the sound maybe a bit more resolved but in the same time more digital like.

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

"Upgrade fails at 69% and forces Aurender to restart. Tried several times to upgrade with no success."

Haujobb,

I am sorry to hear that, my update of W20 last week was flawless.

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

Anyone have experiences with the Audioquest Jitterbug in the Aurender X100L?

I plugged one in between the X100L and Bryston BDA-2 DAC (Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable) and noticed improvement. There's better focus, tighter and more detailed bass, wider soundstage, and better separation. Adding a second Jitterbug to one of the other two USB ports (the ones for external hard drives under the Ethernet port) resulted in additional improvement; most noticeable effect is wider soundstage, but there seems to be less clarity (more diffused sound? I'm not sure). Wondering what others' experiences are with the Jitterbug, especially two of them in the X100L.

Hello lmf22,

Excuse my OT as I do NOT employ the X100L. (See my signature). However, my reason for posting is to validate that after adding the JS-2/MMK/Regen (amber) to my system, the initial improvement was evident. But in time the SQ turned brighter than I prefer. AND, the bass mids/highes were more diffused/blurry than without the Regen. In other words, the bass was excellent before the introduction of the Regen and less so after.

To get to the point, for some time, I wondered what the solution might be for the brighter sound and change in dynamics of the bass. Remove the Regen? By chance, I also adopted and added a AQJB (AudioQuest JitterBug) in line with my Light Harmonic LightSpeed (0.8m, standard -- red) USB cable. The SQ changed. And, the change was positive, specifically, the brighter sound was less bright, the bass mids/highs were better defined again. Influenced by other reviewers AudioStream/Stereophile, I added a second AQJB, this time, to the empty USB output port next to the first AQJB, which required an extender cable for the two AQJB side by side would not fit in the back of my Mac Mini.

The addition of the second AQJB added even more improvement, in my opinon. The SQ that I favor returned with the mitigation of that brighter sound originally with the addition of the Regen's introduction. Furthermore, there was even better instrument voicing, or the opposite of what other members who report that AQJB created a lack of focus and blurring. For me the two AQJBs added was like changing a camera mediocre lens to a better one, hence clarity, focus, details, SQ rendition improved or returned. I left the Regen connected as it powered by the JS-2 and my Mac Mini by the MMK did improve dimension and voicing of instruments with certain exceptions. The AQJB removed those exceptions and made them exceptional.

I realize you are concerned with what others experience from adding to the X100L. In that regard, I am OT. But overall, my experience with my own system different from your system, may or may not be useful to you. Adding one or two AQJB(s) to your system and discerning what the difference that makes the difference is the best (only?) way to reach an assessment.

Best,

Richard

New problem: When I have one track playing and I try to add another or more, they are only briefly added to the que, then disappear. Adding an album - same thing it just will not "stick" to the list. Any ideas?

Hi coot,

I experienced the same some time ago but to be honest i do not remeber how it was fixed.

Most probably one of past updates solved the problem.

Pls try clean the list and then add an album as a first on the list, should help as far as I remember. Also if you have a large collection above say 3 TB to add an album takes a while.

New problem: When I have one track playing and I try to add another or more, they are only briefly added to the que, then disappear. Adding an album - same thing it just will not "stick" to the list. Any ideas?

Never heard of this problem. You are adding to the queue and not a saved playlist?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Thanks for sharing your experiences of the Jitterbug. It was only slightly off topic, but still valuable input.

I did some more long-term listening tests (i.e., a few tracks rather than quick A/B) with one and two Jitterbugs and without them. I agree with your assessment, that having one Jitterbug made the sound warmer, better clarity, focus, and quieter background that resulted in more micro details. This seems to be the effects that most users reported.

With two Jitterbugs I previously reported a more diffused sound and less clarity, but last night I tried it on the bottom USB port behind the Aurender X100L (there are two non-audio USB ports; previously I put the Jitterbug on the top port, but now put it on the bottom port). This resulted in a sound similar to what you described with your system; less brightness (very evident with pop recordings), better soundstage, better clarity and focus, darker background, and better instrument separation. Seems like which USB port I plug the second Jitterbug into matters. Have you tried the second Jitterbug in another USB port on the Mac Mini?

I will be keeping the second Jitterbug, and plan to buy more for my computer/headphone system.

Hello lmf22,

Excuse my OT as I do NOT employ the X100L. (See my signature). However, my reason for posting is to validate that after adding the JS-2/MMK/Regen (amber) to my system, the initial improvement was evident. But in time the SQ turned brighter than I prefer. AND, the bass mids/highes were more diffused/blurry than without the Regen. In other words, the bass was excellent before the introduction of the Regen and less so after.

To get to the point, for some time, I wondered what the solution might be for the brighter sound and change in dynamics of the bass. Remove the Regen? By chance, I also adopted and added a AQJB (AudioQuest JitterBug) in line with my Light Harmonic LightSpeed (0.8m, standard -- red) USB cable. The SQ changed. And, the change was positive, specifically, the brighter sound was less bright, the bass mids/highs were better defined again. Influenced by other reviewers AudioStream/Stereophile, I added a second AQJB, this time, to the empty USB output port next to the first AQJB, which required an extender cable for the two AQJB side by side would not fit in the back of my Mac Mini.

The addition of the second AQJB added even more improvement, in my opinon. The SQ that I favor returned with the mitigation of that brighter sound originally with the addition of the Regen's introduction. Furthermore, there was even better instrument voicing, or the opposite of what other members who report that AQJB created a lack of focus and blurring. For me the two AQJBs added was like changing a camera mediocre lens to a better one, hence clarity, focus, details, SQ rendition improved or returned. I left the Regen connected as it powered by the JS-2 and my Mac Mini by the MMK did improve dimension and voicing of instruments with certain exceptions. The AQJB removed those exceptions and made them exceptional.

I realize you are concerned with what others experience from adding to the X100L. In that regard, I am OT. But overall, my experience with my own system different from your system, may or may not be useful to you. Adding one or two AQJB(s) to your system and discerning what the difference that makes the difference is the best (only?) way to reach an assessment.

Best,

Richard

Never heard of this problem. You are adding to the queue and not a saved playlist?

I've had it a month and just select music using "Add all songs" button or single-tap on songs. No saving to playlists at all. Today when I pick the iPad up and it's performing as mentioned above. Weird.

I have fixed it. I rescanned the database - no change then after a couple reboots of iPad, changed General/Song-selection-default-behavior/Add-to-end to /Add-to-Next, exited the app, restarted and it is back to it's normal state. Thank goodness.

Anyway, now I know what to do if it ever happens again.

---------------

All in all, Aurender is the greatest! I so don't miss the fussing around that was needed before. Today's small hiccup is nothin' compared to what went before. The excellent SQ is just the proverbial cherry.

I was wrong. Eric of Aurender correctly informed me I had turned on the "Consume" mode - by accident I might add.

Those little "buttons" can somehow get pressed. :) When they update the app, they need to make these things harder to miss.

I auditioned Regen with Teddy Pardo PS a few month ago and did not like it in my system. I kept the mouth shut because 99 % of Regen's owners were happy. It made the sound maybe a bit more resolved but in the same time more digital like.

Thanks for your feedback marslo

good to know I am not the only one, I have been without the Regen for some weeks now, and I really enjoys the sound, I started to test with/without the Regen because I found that when I listened for several hours I started to feel fatigue, it was impressing with all the details, but all in all to much.

Now it is just so smooth and I only stop when I have to go to sleep, not because I am tired in my ears.

Kind regards Morten

Recently I bought the new Stealth USB cable after vast listening and replaced my (previous) TotalDac USB filter. I was shocked by the difference.

Everything is in a whole new three dimensional soundstage with lots of more dynamics and even sweeter tone (which was totaldac's main game). The sound is more organic now and with lots of presence. Kinda spooky feeling like being in a live concert.

Aurender and Stealth Audio USB is a fantastic match.

Regen is also on order.

Non stop ride; this is.

To which model Stealth USB are you referring?

Thank you dminches!

I'm sitting here listening to music through my Aurender now and on a completely different topic, has anyone else noticed that CDs that sounded great on previous rips or through previous CDP's sound OK (not bad, not great) and that CDs you could not bear to listen to due to poor perceived SQ now send spectacular? No doubt this premise will make some think there is likely a gremlin in my set-up but I don't think so. You see, I ripped about 20 CDs yesterday, mostly ones that I thought were among my better sounding discs e.g. Don Byron's "Bug Music", and I hesitated before ripping Grant Lee Buffalo's "Jubilee" because I found it shrill and overly compressed through my Simaudio CDP.5. Say what you want about the content, but the texture, depth, and three dimensional "grip" (strange listening descriptors noted) are incredible. Am the only one? Maybe I'm having one of those days where my hearing is off kilter.

Thanks for the musical impressions. I'm considering getting an Aurender and would be interested to hear how your CD rips compare to the TIDAL and vinyl equivalents?