IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Ditto, but I can still use my N100 by using folder browsing so at least I can add my NAS tunes to the queue and listen to them.

They really need to get their Windows and Android apps up to speed and quickly... Apple do not represent the global community, not by far. This is bordering on foolish complacency and will certainly be costing them sales, which is a shame as their hardware is utterly fabulous.

Come on Aurender, you are almost there!

;-)

Yep, my aurender N100 works perfectly, until it upgraded and now lost everything from the NAS. Damn, I sure hope who ever did this upgrade gets some more on the job training.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

With my N100, every time I do a firmware upgrade I loose the previously stored database with metadata and covers from my NAS.

Refresh DB or full scan on iPad won't work

I always have to run the AMM (Aurender Media Manager) again on the MAC to build a new database from scratch.

With my N100, every time I do a firmware upgrade I loose the previously stored database with metadata and covers from my NAS.

Refresh DB or full scan on iPad won't work

I always have to run the AMM (Aurender Media Manager) again on the MAC to build a new database from scratch.

What is the size of your NAS db and how much time does it take to rebuild your db using AMM?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

What is the size of your NAS db and how much time does it take to rebuild your db using AMM?

My NAS is a Synoçogy 214 (2*4 TB HDs)

I have around 2.2 GB in music files.

I can't say for sure because I never timed it but I would say it takes around 15 ~ 20 min for AMM to scan my whole database from scratch.

However a scan with AMM to update the DB for small changes like adding some files is much faster.

I did lose one album. I had 3570 and now have 3569. I'll try a sync with my backup and see which one is missing.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

This is so basic but I don't see the answer on Aurender's site. My confusion will be self-evident, and I suppose I could also ask my dealer. I have an N100H that is due to arrive tomorrow. I have ATT UVerse which as I understand it combines a WiFi and a router into one unit. My dumb question; when the Aurender Start-Up Guide and Users Manual suggests an Apple Airport Extreme, do I in fact need one?

On a related front, my feeble understanding is that the need for a LAN/Ethernet cable is that the Aurender needs to be physically (via ethernet) connected to the Router in order to process the remote function of the iPad app. Is that correct? I ask because I am already set up to easily hook up the UVerse Router via ethernet in the wall to behind my equipment rack and into the Aurender. If I have to daisy chain the Uverse router to an Airport Extreme (which makes little sense to me) than I will.

Considering that I had a Bryston BDP-1 hooked up years ago, temporarily on loan, I ought to remember the basics but don't.

Good job, thanks and thumbs up.

I contacted Eric Shim at Aurender and he has sent the following link for the Windows AMM

http://files.aurender.com/AurenderMediaManager/Beta/AurenderMediaManager-Windows.242.zip

Graeme

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

This is so basic but I don't see the answer on Aurender's site. My confusion will be self-evident, and I suppose I could also ask my dealer. I have an N100H that is due to arrive tomorrow. I have ATT UVerse which as I understand it combines a WiFi and a router into one unit. My dumb question; when the Aurender Start-Up Guide and Users Manual suggests an Apple Airport Extreme, do I in fact need one?

On a related front, my feeble understanding is that the need for a LAN/Ethernet cable is that the Aurender needs to be physically (via ethernet) connected to the Router in order to process the remote function of the iPad app. Is that correct? I ask because I am already set up to easily hook up the UVerse Router via ethernet in the wall to behind my equipment rack and into the Aurender. If I have to daisy chain the Uverse router to an Airport Extreme (which makes little sense to me) than I will.

Considering that I had a Bryston BDP-1 hooked up years ago, temporarily on loan, I ought to remember the basics but don't.

need an AirPort Extreme ? No.

Aurender has no wifi; iPad has no Ethernet. If they're going to talk to each other you have to connect them, simple as that.

Ethernet cable in back of Aurender, to connect to "your network" by plugging it into a router that is "on your network"

And somewhere you need a wireless access point in "your network" so the iPad can connect, too.

the router and the wireless access point can be the same device - I don't know what a UVerse Router is but if it has wireless then I think that's all you need. If it doesn't, then you'll need a wireless access point (or wireless router).

So plug the Aurender into your UVerse by Ethernet cable, then connect your iPad to the SAME network wirelessly; that's it.....

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Fsconicsmith,

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Aurender vs. the Bryston and if there are any differences in the sound. I've been researching both the N100H and Bryston as my next possible digital purchase. If I may ask, what made you consider Aurender vs. upgrading to a BDP2 with the new soundcard?

Fsconicsmith,

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Aurender vs. the Bryston and if there are any differences in the sound. I've been researching both the N100H and Bryston as my next possible digital purchase. If I may ask, what made you consider Aurender vs. upgrading to a BDP2 with the new soundcard?

I auditioned the very first iteration of the Bryston quite some time ago. The Bryston had no internal storage and was more of a gateway, signal buffer, and proprietary software package/sound card boosted by a hefty power supply. Music that I was given to sample via thumb drive left me cold and unimpressed. I was not happy with the sound and functionality of CDs ripped to an external hard drive.

Too early to give any valid impressions of the Aurender but give me a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I said I would report back with my listening impressions. I am the world's most proficient thread killer-everywhere I go. This thread died after I said I would report back. Well, I trust no one minds my reviving it. I am very happy with the N100H. I have been ripping my CDs with my MacBookPro using XLT in FLAC and then sending them to an NAS, a 2 TB WD MyCloud that I picked up for a whopping $125. I have always fumbled around on both PCs and Macs, but usually can intuitively kind-of-logically work things out. I managed to get everything seeing each other (iPad, Aurender, NAS) with little-but some-fumbling around. Now to the SQ. Fantastic. My CDs sound better ripped to the NAS and through the Aurender than they did through an external HD hooked up to the Bryston BDP-1 or through a PC based music server I had recently, or through my old Simaudio CDP.5 I bought 20 or so years ago. I attribute this to the buffering that goes on in the Aurender. I am hearing a blacker background/lower noise floor, wider, deeper soundstage, and more detail. The highs are a more relaxed. My only nit-the bass sounds a bit emphasized and a bit off to me. "Off" in the sense of not sounding real, sounding a bit like I am in a nice rental car in which some previous renter jacked up the bass. I am hoping this ameliorates with more burn in time-I have no doubt that my Aurender is not yet fully burnt in. I am using a JPS Digital AC-X PC to the Aurender. My preamp is an Audioprism Mantissa, amp is an ARC VS110, speakers are Acoustic Zen Adagios. I downloaded three albums from HDTracks to the Aurender's HD. Each sounds more dynnamic and immediate than any of my CD transfers. Ok, the kicker-do CDs through the Aurender sound better than my vinyl played back through a VPI Prime and Soundsmith Zephyr? No. Vinyl sounds punchier and more vibrant (the best adjective I can apply) to my ears than the CD rips. But again, this is the best CD sound I have managed to eke out in my system and the interface, build quality, and joy of ownership is the best I have had when it comes to music servers. Note; I have not tried to stream Tidal. I went to the Tidal website and found it to be a mess, very unfriendly to new users who wish to hunt around to get an idea as to what music is available.

Thanks for the report.

Now, please consider another comparison report ... Down the line of course when you are familiar and comfortable with everything and maybe have it well tweaked. This comparison would be would be well done high-res digital vs. your LPs - same music.

I, for one, am quite interested in your thoughts on this.

Doak

Thanks for the report.

Now, please consider another comparison report ... Down the line of course when you are familiar and comfortable with everything and maybe have it well tweaked. This comparison would be would be well done high-res digital vs. your LPs - same music.

I, for one, am quite interested in your thoughts on this.

Doak

That is already on the to-do-list. That said, I know from experience that there is a lot of variability not only in vinyl quality but the skill/luck of the person that is transferring the vinyl to digital. It is mostly a matter of setting optimum recording level. Most home "recorders", myself included, have no inclination to do live monitoring-the set-up is a bit too involved. As it is, I insert a tubed preamp between the phono stage out and the laptop/hard drive with VinylStudio in order to set recording level in the analogue domain rather than relying upon the software's digital input level. I tried to bring this very important aspect of recording vinyl up with Mikey Fremer on his website, and he seemed clueless as to the distinction. I believe one reason why "rips" done with an Ayre QA-9 are generally superior than most ADCs is that the Ayre implements analogue output of recording level rather than relying upon the user's software to set recording level in the digital domain.

Been an owner of the N100H for the past 3 weeks and honestly this is the most I've enjoyed listening to music on my system. Great SQ. There is something special about the way the Aurender presents the music. When you are just relaxing and listening to music, the sound is balanced, with no frequency jumping out, overpowering and grabbing you attention or giving any harshness. It is just a very pleasant experience. And when you close your eyes and really listen, all the layers of details are all there as well. Best of all, no more fussing with computer. Highly recommended.

Been an owner of the N100H for the past 3 weeks and honestly this is the most I've enjoyed listening to music on my system. Great SQ. There is something special about the way the Aurender presents the music. When you are just relaxing and listening to music, the sound is balanced, with no frequency jumping out, overpowering and grabbing you attention or giving any harshness. It is just a very pleasant experience. And when you close your eyes and really listen, all the layers of details are all there as well. Best of all, no more fussing with computer. Highly recommended.

Add an Amber Regan and you will enjoy that much more. I have an N100S and it is easy to listen too. the Aurender 100 series are great players. Tidal sounds awesome also.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I have a N10 arriving in a couple days, it is replacing one of the original SlimDevices Transporters.

I was wondering if any Aurender owners are using the Android app to control it ? I have a Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 (purchased for piano sheet music primarily) and was hoping the app - which is listed as a beta - will work adequately. My only other tablet is an ancient iPad from ~ 2009, Apple dropped iOS support for that dinosaur after 5.x and looks like the Conductor app requires iOS 7 or later to install/run.

I'll likely end up buying iPad Air anyway, but hoping to hold off a bit as the new model should be out in a month or so. My plan is to set it up in an iPort charge case and stand by my equipment and use it to control the Aurender and as well as the Elan G! home electronics and security, and my hopefully my GHL aquarium equipment.

Also I was curious if iPeng 8 (excellent iPhone app) might 'see' the Aurender and be able to control it ? It is mainly a LMS remote contro, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it worked with some other players that used Media Player Daemon, which I think Conductor is based on to some degree. Hopefully Surender will release a simplified iPhone app before too long, it would be a nice convenience since my phone is generally always on me unlike a tablet.

I'm using the android app... it is fit for purpose and easy to use on my Samsung S5... it is a few revisions behind their apple app(s), but the important functions are all there and it is stable.

I would never by an apple device just to function as a remote control and the android app already works way well enough for this not to be necessary... also they are supposed to be releasing a newer android app soonish.

I have a N10 arriving in a couple days, it is replacing one of the original SlimDevices Transporters.

I was wondering if any Aurender owners are using the Android app to control it ? I have a Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 (purchased for piano sheet music primarily) and was hoping the app - which is listed as a beta - will work adequately. My only other tablet is an ancient iPad from ~ 2009, Apple dropped iOS support for that dinosaur after 5.x and looks like the Conductor app requires iOS 7 or later to install/run.

I'll likely end up buying iPad Air anyway, but hoping to hold off a bit as the new model should be out in a month or so. My plan is to set it up in an iPort charge case and stand by my equipment and use it to control the Aurender and as well as the Elan G! home electronics and security, and my hopefully my GHL aquarium equipment.

Also I was curious if iPeng 8 (excellent iPhone app) might 'see' the Aurender and be able to control it ? It is mainly a LMS remote contro, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it worked with some other players that used Media Player Daemon, which I think Conductor is based on to some degree. Hopefully Surender will release a simplified iPhone app before too long, it would be a nice convenience since my phone is generally always on me unlike a tablet.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I'm using the android app... it is fit for purpose and easy to use on my Samsung S5... it is a few revisions behind their apple app(s), but the important functions are all there and it is stable.

I would never by an apple device just to function as a remote control and the android app already works way well enough for this not to be necessary... also they are supposed to be releasing a newer android app soonish.

If they do, great, but the current app is so far behind the iPad app. The only Apple product here is the iPad, and it does the job very well. It's not worth getting worked up about. Get an iPad and enjoy the full benefits you've been missing out on, which are many.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Apple : choose some songs, add them to the queue, listen to them

Android : choose some songs, add them to the queue, listen to them

;-)

If they do, great, but the current app is so far behind the iPad app. The only Apple product here is the iPad, and it does the job very well. It's not worth getting worked up about. Get an iPad and enjoy the full benefits you've been missing out on, which are many.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Thank you. Sounds like the Android app will work fine short term.

Next month we'll see where Apple is heading with the iPad lineup and I'll either pick up a new Air 2 or wait for the Air 3 or whatever. They are supposed to have an iPad Pro coming out with a ~ 12.9" screen but don't need something that large and I already have the Samsung Tab Note 12.2 for sheet music anyway. My daughter has an iPad Mini and I find it too small, although pixel count is same as its larger counterpart, and too close in size to my iPhone 6 Plus. The iPad Air seems to strike a nice size balance.

I use iPeng8 to control my Transporter and the Fusion Research OMS3 (which has three virtual players, I use the two analog outs for whole home audio and the digital as another source for the high end audio); I doubt it will recognize the Aurender but will report back one way or another.