IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

On a related note- if you don't have Jim Smith's DVD series you are seriously missing out on some of the best setup advice on the planet.

His DVD's are the biggest bang you will ever get for your audio dollars/pounds/euros etc.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

On a related note- if you don't have Jim Smith's DVD series you are seriously missing out on some of the best setup advice on the planet.

His DVD's are the biggest bang you will ever get for your audio dollars/pounds/euros etc.

Got mine, along with Jim's illustrated paperback book (both entitled "Get Better Sound") in today's mail!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've been using LightDims for years on all my bright LED's and I have yet to have an LED burn out as LED's are a cool running light source. I highly recommend them and use them from LED's to my digital alarm clock next to my bed.

LightDims: Dim Led Lights, Halos Around Lights For Light Sensitive Eyes!

Many thanks for the tip!

These LEDs do not let me sleep in peace, they are everywhere like a plague :(

Roch

Many thanks for the tip!

These LEDs do not let me sleep in peace, they are everywhere like a plague :(

Roch

That's what's so nice about Light Dims, all the different sizes. I too was being driven crazy over an alarm clock that lit up the whole bedroom when I desire a dark room. Before Light Dims, I threw a handkerchief over the damn thing. Now I'm using Light Dims over every LED and digital display in the house. I'm all about ambient light, sorta anal about it.

But with the usual placement of the Regen being behind a USB converter/dac, it's really a nonissue for most people including myself.

Hi Jud,

Really it brings something new for old audiophiles like us?

Roch

I'll let you know after I've read it and watched some of what's on the DVDs. I have only read a little so far. Have run into one thing I didn't know. What is interesting is that I agree so much with it to the extent that I have explained some of the same things in the same way here in the forums. A little strange to read a book and think this other person is saying what is in your mind.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just finished reading the newsletter, I guess you liked it ;-). I'm sure Alex & John will be pleased.

Yes indeed. And it likely drove what has become our second-highest single day sales since the launch day back in April. :)

I've known Jim for years (back in his AvantGarde speaker days at CES and elsewhere). Warm, kind, smart. Good ears and great taste in music. The definition of a gentleman.

Not Superdad ... but I have some experience with trying to get my MacBook to sound better ... and it was never close at all ... my old (now retired) 2009 Mac Mini always beat my late 2011 17" Macbook (quad core 2.4 gHz with 3 SSD's, 16 GB RAM).

I have a XPAL 18000 LiPo battery which does 19V and that did not really help at all for the MacBook. The Mac Mini was just using it's standard SMPS and it always won. Was kind of surprised by the result as I do not like SMPS on anything, had expected the MacBook to perform better (either running on it's own battery or the external LiPo battery).

I applied the usual tweaks to both, such as turn off spotlight indexing and other Mac OS X configuration tweaks.

The MacBook works great as a music server running JRiver Media Centre ... then used JRemote iOS app on my iPad/iPhone to access CD ripped music (using the Apple CCK to connect iDevice to DAC's). That works great ... but directly attaching my MacBook via USB to my DAC's just sounded harsh and fatiguing ... not for me.

Just my experience.

John

Thanks for the input. I currently own 2 older Minis and have read here about the advantages over the Macbook Pro. I've contemplated getting a new Mini for a dedicated music server for a while. I think I just need to do it.

Yes indeed. And it likely drove what has become our second-highest single day sales since the launch day back in April. :)

I've known Jim for years (back in his AvantGarde speaker days at CES and elsewhere). Warm, kind, smart. Good ears and great taste in music. The definition of a gentleman.

Cool Alex, Congrats. Just got mine this week and has been burning in. I'm hoping to have a good listen tomorrow night. Hell, I just wanted to congratulate you and the team

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Congratulations Alex! This is only the beginning. :)

That's what's so nice about Light Dims, all the different sizes. I too was being driven crazy over an alarm clock that lit up the whole bedroom when I desire a dark room. Before Light Dims, I threw a handkerchief over the damn thing. Now I'm using Light Dims over every LED and digital display in the house. I'm all about ambient light, sorta anal about it.

I just got a new water heater, which came with a blue LED that blinks every 3 seconds to indicate it is OK (what genius came up with that idea ??). It was too bright and annoying, but I don't have any LightDims in the house, Casting about, I put a small piece of old masking tape over the LED, that didn't quite do it so another piece went on top, and that dimmed it down to a nice warm blue glow.

So, in a pinch, or while you're waiting for an order of LightDims to arrive, two layers of masking tape works quite well !

Not Superdad ... but I have some experience with trying to get my MacBook to sound better ... and it was never close at all ... my old (now retired) 2009 Mac Mini always beat my late 2011 17" Macbook (quad core 2.4 gHz with 3 SSD's, 16 GB RAM).

I have a XPAL 18000 LiPo battery which does 19V and that did not really help at all for the MacBook. The Mac Mini was just using it's standard SMPS and it always won. Was kind of surprised by the result as I do not like SMPS on anything, had expected the MacBook to perform better (either running on it's own battery or the external LiPo battery).

I applied the usual tweaks to both, such as turn off spotlight indexing and other Mac OS X configuration tweaks.

The MacBook works great as a music server running JRiver Media Centre ... then used JRemote iOS app on my iPad/iPhone to access CD ripped music (using the Apple CCK to connect iDevice to DAC's). That works great ... but directly attaching my MacBook via USB to my DAC's just sounded harsh and fatiguing ... not for me.

Just my experience.

John

My circa 2008 MacBook Pro as set up with Regen sounds better than my Bryston BDP-2 via either USB or S/PDIF (all files 16/44 AIFF, iTunes with Amarra HiFi). It's to the point that I'm pretty sure that I'll sell the Bryston and do a Mac Mini with the Uptone goodies.

Andy

I've received my Regen a few days ago and am very happy with it - thanks Uptone. There's been lots of posts about SQ improving with a better power supply so all I had was a large 6V alkaline flashlight battery and fed the Regen with it.

I think it's a definite improvement over the stock PS and will leave it connected until the battery dies. Is it OK to do this or is there a chance the Regen will be damaged by doing this?

My circa 2008 MacBook Pro as set up with Regen sounds better than my Bryston BDP-2 via either USB or S/PDIF (all files 16/44 AIFF, iTunes with Amarra HiFi). It's to the point that I'm pretty sure that I'll sell the Bryston and do a Mac Mini with the Uptone goodies.

I own BDP-2 which powered by 6.4kva balanced power supply feed to a regenerative power supply. Since I have coupled it with Regen Green + Regen Amber, and then output the usb audio to BDA-2 dac, the SQ is very very good. So it is hard to believe your MacBook Pro is able to beat BDP-2. Because I don't have MacBook Pro or Mac Mini or Auralic Aries to do comparison, your statement really leaves me wondering and worried.

The christmas came early this year, on tuesday I received a package from Alex with UpTone goodies! I installed the MMK in my mini 2011 i7, hooked it up with the JS-2 and connected the Regen Amber.

The immidiate sense was increased level of details and the blacker background, the bass was certanly tighter and more toned. I have later on increased the gain on my Qsub15 with +1 db.

Later on I got great help from Alex in configuring my dual mini setup to Screen Shareing and ethernet sharing. Today I used the CAD v1.3 and gotten down from 166 active processes to 114.

I am totally blown away by the sound!!! The sound is what you americans say, awesome! And it still is improving as the UpTones get more hours in use :-)

My setup is:

Mac mini 2010 1 tb SSD internal and Yosemite 10.10.4 > Synergistic Resarch active Ethernet cable > Mac mini Server 2011 i7 OSX and Amarra 3 booted wtih 64 Sandisk Extreme SD card boot, CAD v1.3, both HDD disabled physically and Yosemite 10.10.4 > Straightwire USBF > Regen Amber > Berkeley USB Alpha > Straighwire Info-Link AES > Berkeley Alpha Reference Dac > Krell 202 and MRA > Magico Q3 and Qsub15

Thanks Again Alex for you inspiration and assistance!

Tommy

Slightly off topic, but since we've been discussing the SQ of a Mac Mini I was wondering if there would be a sound quality advantage to using a late 2009 Mac Mini compared to my MacBook Pro from the same time. I know I wouldn't be able to add all the Uptone goodies like if I had a recent Mini, but I already own the 2009 model and if there would be a sound quality improvement I could swap things around a bit and use the old Mini for a while.

So basically it comes down to these 2 systems:

2009 Mac Mini (Standard internal HD, 4GB RAM, iTunes, Amarra 3.0, using external Library connected via Firewire) -> Regen -> Schiit Bifrost Uber...

or

2009 MacBook Pro (Internal SSD, 8GB RAM, iTunes, Amarra 3.0, using external Library connected via Firewire) -> Regen -> Schiit Bifrost Uber...

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Slightly off topic, but since we've been discussing the SQ of a Mac Mini I was wondering if there would be a sound quality advantage to using a late 2009 Mac Mini compared to my MacBook Pro from the same time. I know I wouldn't be able to add all the Uptone goodies like if I had a recent Mini, but I already own the 2009 model and if there would be a sound quality improvement I could swap things around a bit and use the old Mini for a while.

So basically it comes down to these 2 systems:

2009 Mac Mini (Standard internal HD, 4GB RAM, iTunes, Amarra 3.0, using external Library connected via Firewire) -> Regen -> Schiit Bifrost Uber...

or

2009 MacBook Pro (Internal SSD, 8GB RAM, iTunes, Amarra 3.0, using external Library connected via Firewire) -> Regen -> Schiit Bifrost Uber...

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

One obvious thing you can do with your 2009 Mini is very easily add a good LPS, since it's just a matter of a cable to fit the Mini input, and Superdad remembers (I think..) where you can get a cheapo cable for this. I think I've still got one of those, which you could have for the mailing cost, though that might be more than a new cable from China. The most important thing to know is that despite the ~19v which comes from the white Apple brick supply, the Mini will be perfectly happy with 12v, which is what you will need to power any later replacement Mini. I did exactly that a couple of years ago, powering the 2009 and then the 2010 from a Paul Hynes. The SQ improvement with the LPS over the Apple SMPS supplies was the biggest one I have heard. Given that you are in the US, the obvious choice would be the JS2- not cheap, but everybody who has one is delighted, and it will power your Regen as well.

See above for various comments about Macbooks- I tried for years with various Apple laptops, but never had the success that I did with Minis. Even though a laptop can run on batteries, there is a serious noise source in the high voltage inverter for the screen backlight.

My setup is:

Mac mini 2010 1 tb SSD internal and Yosemite 10.10.4 > Synergistic Resarch active Ethernet cable > Mac mini Server 2011 i7 OSX and Amarra 3 booted wtih 64 Sandisk Extreme SD card boot, CAD v1.3, both HDD disabled physically and Yosemite 10.10.4 > Straightwire USBF > Regen Amber > Berkeley USB Alpha > Straighwire Info-Link AES > Berkeley Alpha Reference Dac > Krell 202 and MRA > Magico Q3 and Qsub15

Tommy, you're the first person I've seen on this forum who also is using the Straightwire USBF filtered cable. I'm just curious, did you try any more expensive USB cables before getting the USBF? I'm pretty happy with it. I found it further improved on the REGEN with a more 3D soundstage at a reasonable cost. I also have that Straightwire Info-Link, but mine is the BNC version.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Anyone with a mac mini + mmk + JS-2 powering a regen off of the 2nd JS-2 out?

Possibly into an EmmLabs Dac2x or XDS1v2?

Any issues?

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

One obvious thing you can do with your 2009 Mini is very easily add a good LPS, since it's just a matter of a cable to fit the Mini input, and Superdad remembers (I think..) where you can get a cheapo cable for this. I think I've still got one of those, which you could have for the mailing cost, though that might be more than a new cable from China. The most important thing to know is that despite the ~19v which comes from the white Apple brick supply, the Mini will be perfectly happy with 12v, which is what you will need to power any later replacement Mini. I did exactly that a couple of years ago, powering the 2009 and then the 2010 from a Paul Hynes. The SQ improvement with the LPS over the Apple SMPS supplies was the biggest one I have heard. Given that you are in the US, the obvious choice would be the JS2- not cheap, but everybody who has one is delighted, and it will power your Regen as well.

See above for various comments about Macbooks- I tried for years with various Apple laptops, but never had the success that I did with Minis. Even though a laptop can run on batteries, there is a serious noise source in the high voltage inverter for the screen backlight.

BobL, thanks for the valuable info and the cable offer. For now I think I may try swapping the 2 computers and seeing what the old Mini does in it's stock form. If it's a noticeable improvement then I might go for the JS-2. It's something I was thinking about anyway. Although I may need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB. Is there any value in upgrading the internal HD to SSD?

Thanks.

Anyone with a mac mini + mmk + JS-2 powering a regen off of the 2nd JS-2 out?

Possibly into an EmmLabs Dac2x or XDS1v2?

Thx!

Any issues?

Not entirely responsive. Mac Mini mid 2011 2.7GHz, i7, 16GB ram. JS-2, MMK, Regen. Alex recommended JS-2 DC outlet 1 for the Regen set to 7V using custom DC cable fabricated by Alex, and DC outlet 2 for the Mac Mini set to 12V with included DC cable, coax cable for MMK to fan speed regulation. My Dac, W4S Dac2 DSDse, has no issues with this setup, except, the volume levels I use to set are much, much lower with the same dynamics. The SQ is much brighter than I used to.

I realize your interest is with other components. So if not useful, in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind" (smile).

Best,

Richard

Any issues?

Not entirely responsive. Mac Mini mid 2011 2.7GHz, i7, 16GB ram. JS-2, MMK, Regen. Alex recommended JS-2 DC outlet 1 for the Regen set to 7V using custom DC cable fabricated by Alex, and DC outlet 2 for the Mac Mini set to 12V with included DC cable, coax cable for MMK to fan speed regulation. My Dac, W4S Dac2 DSDse, has no issues with this setup, except, the volume levels I use to set are much, much lower with the same dynamics. The SQ is much brighter than I used to.

I realize your interest is with other components. So if not useful, in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind" (smile).

Best,

Richard

Issue more as in breaking something. Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics