IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

I asked Supra about making shorter USB cables yesterday and after I explained why, telling them about the very positive experiences made by a lot of us with Supra and Regen, guiding them to the Regen threads on CA and thus showing that we are a lot of potential customers crazy enough for such a product they promised to discuss it when their stuff is back from their summer vacations.

If there's general agreement that a short Supra sounds considerably better than the supplied adapter between the REGEN and the DAC, I'd certainly be interested ... particularly if Supra can get a bunch to a US distributor who is willing to ship them out via USPS first class mail.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I just heard about this USB Regen today, and I'm starting my research on it. I see it's a resonable $175, but it looks like it's on backorder for 4-6 weeks?

Any used ones or other sources where I can pick one up to try out?

Most of us paid our $175 and got in line.

John's & Alex's reputations carried the day, and when compared to most current audio pricing practices, it seemed exceptionally reasonable.

Then, once the comments started coming in, it did make the waiting harder, but it was more than worth it... :)

Best,

Jim

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

I just heard about this USB Regen today, and I'm starting my research on it. I see it's a resonable $175, but it looks like it's on backorder for 4-6 weeks?

Most of us are very happy with it and are in no hurry to get rid of it, though somewhere on this set of threads there is a prototype "Green" one on offer. Good luck!

Probably not. It's still too new and popular. Your best bet is to pay your money and wait your turn :) It's all fair and transparent, and a great value.

If, for some reason, you don't like it, you'd have no problem selling in on. And with the way eBayer's can get nutts, you could conceivably make money on the deal, or at the worst, only lose a small percentage.

No doubt someone could get more than retail for one.

Probably not. It's still too new and popular. Your best bet is to pay your money and wait your turn :) It's all fair and transparent, and a great value.

If, for some reason, you don't like it, you'd have no problem selling in on. And with the way eBayer's can get nutts, you could conceivably make money on the deal, or at the worst, only lose a small percentage.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

No doubt someone could get more than retail for one.

I was thinking the same thing. But no way I'm parting with either of mine.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Dear John, Superdad and Fmak,

Indeed as stated/corrected by Alex the shield/ braid of the Regen Solid Connector isn’t connected at all. In contradiction with Johns statement the shields are interrupted in the Solid Connector

In this particular case the ground path is than much longer. Than if the shield is directly connected with the so-called chassis in the Receiver Box (= DAC) were they meet Pen4, which is connected to the chassis (on both sides) too. Ps. there isn’t a fifth wire for connecting the shields of the two connectors making an attempt at properly reserving the impedances… as assumed by John.

Is this is a new way of connecting USB devices by Solid Adapter manufacturers?

Fmak responded (#2258) that in posts in AA (or may be even here) that connecting the shield to the send end (PC, Mini, Streamer) rather than connecting these both ends do affect sound quality. In this case, it is not whether the shields are connected in adapters that matters, but whether usb-cables should be made up that way and whether this can lead to poorer sound quality.

And indeed this makes sense in my equipment. The cheap Solid Regen Adapter has less bass, mid-range and detailing than my custom made Solid Adaptor with shields/braids connected (using rather expensive materials and wires).

The Amber Regen sounds that damn well. (Off Topic: Even better together with the Schiit Wyrd). But it in my opinion much better with a High quality “Solid adaptor” or a short USB-cable (1.5 <->2.0 inches) in which the shield / braid are connected end to end.

Give it a try yourself.

Very best regards, Andreas

Morning John:

Hope you got some better rest last night. That was a LONG call we had--and I have already ordered in some of those .1" header quads we spoke about to experiment on that solution.

Regards the adapters: That's the thing. They DON'T connect the shield from one side to the other. Once you plug one into anything (even just on one side), then you can get continuity between the shields because as we have both said, the device connects shield to pin 4--generally right at the jack.

--Alex C.

Dear John, Superdad and Fmak,

Indeed as stated/corrected by Alex the shield/ braid of the Regen Solid Connector isn’t connected at all....

my custom made Solid Adaptor with shields/braids connected (using rather expensive materials and wires).

...in my opinion much better with a High quality “Solid adaptor” or a short USB-cable (1.5 <->2.0 inches) in which the shield / braid are connected end to end.

Andreas,

I ordered 2 of these USB 'hard' adaptors from eBay

They took awhile to arrive, but it's from China after all.

The adapters are 5/16" (80mm) longer then the one that comes with the Regen. Which worked out for me. I needed a longer one to clear the AC cord on my DAC. After a little surgery, the new adapter works fine in getting my Regen to clear the IEC plug and cord.

Using a sharp, long, flush cutter I nibbled off the black, rubbery bulge on the left side of the adapter (as seen from the front of the DAC)

Once that bulge was stripped away, I noticed one small white wire inside a the exposed side of a clear (polyethylene?) plastic shell. I checked the continuity of the connector shields, and 0 ohms, so they are connected.

The 'gold' plating on the shields is so thin, or fake, it fades in a strong light. I applied my usual Cramolin treatment to all the contact areas, so I'm not really worrying about that :)

I just got them in place a few days ago, and haven't really noticed any difference, but haven't tried yet. Just streaming 'radio' in the background...

But with all those features, and only $1.50 ? Might be worth a try for some of you !

Interesting that this discussion has kicked off since I have removed the short solid AB adapter supplied on my setup for the past week.

The reason I went down this road is that I was feeling like I was lacking a bit of heft/body/weight from my listening experience so I started experimenting with different configurations.

(snip)

I also had a short Blue iUSB cable from purchases some time back of the original iUSB 5v units and I stuck this in in place of the short solid AB connector between the Regen and the DAC and instantly heard the weight and Body I felt I had been missing.

Straight away I went and ordered 2 of the 0.7mtr Supra cables and I am now running with a Supra between the Regen and the DAC, to be honest so far everything sounds as good as when I put in the Blue iUSB cable but maybe there is a little more body but I will need more time to let it settle in.

For me there is no going back to the short solid AB connector.

Cheers, Pearse.

Thanks for this idea Pearse.

I have two Supra 0.7m cables, but never thought to try placing them both upstream and downstream from the USB Regen.

One of them, due to a manufacturer's defect, is actually a "data only" Supra 0.7m cable, that I've been using between my iPad 3 > CCK and the USB Regen, but I will try replacing the solid adapter with the proper four-wire Supra 0.7m cable. More later...

:-)

I asked Supra about making shorter USB cables yesterday and after I explained why, telling them about the very positive experiences made by a lot of us with Supra and Regen, guiding them to the Regen threads on CA and thus showing that we are a lot of potential customers crazy enough for such a product they promised to discuss it when their stuff is back from their summer vacations.

Good for you! I hope they pursue it.

Thanks,

Mike

I wish I could say that the solution--to the whole USB cable/adaptor thing--which John and I are pursing was right around the corner for production (or even trials). But with multiple projects and products brewing at the same time everything only inches forward. So we try to stay focused while continuing to experiment.

In the meantime, whatever sounds best to you guys for a short connection between the REGEN and DAC is fine. And hey, if someone gets Supra to make a pile of 10cm cables, I'll buy a few for myself! :)

Ha, I finally found mine just like that this morning!

Andreas,

They took awhile to arrive, but it's from China after all.

The adapters are 5/16" (80mm) longer then the one that comes with the Regen. Which worked out for me. I needed a longer one to clear the AC cord on my DAC. After a little surgery, the new adapter works fine in getting my Regen to clear the IEC plug and cord.

Using a sharp, long, flush cutter I nibbled off the black, rubbery bulge on the left side of the adapter (as seen from the front of the DAC)

Once that bulge was stripped away, I noticed one small white wire inside a the exposed side of a clear (polyethylene?) plastic shell. I checked the continuity of the connector shields, and 0 ohms, so they are connected.

The 'gold' plating on the shields is so thin, or fake, it fades in a strong light. I applied my usual Cramolin treatment to all the contact areas, so I'm not really worrying about that :)

I just got them in place a few days ago, and haven't really noticed any difference, but haven't tried yet. Just streaming 'radio' in the background...

But with all those features, and only $1.50 ? Might be worth a try for some of you !

Forrest:

Hey Now Eric,

I think I may have bought the only used Amber Regen. I also bought a new one and was waiting for it when the opportunity came up for a used one. I now run them in serial and it is mah-veh-lous!

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

Hi Daudio, (Superdad, John and Fmak)

Thanks for yr reply. But we are in the opinion that our custom made Solid adaptor is much better than this indeed cheap Chinese one.

Its anyway (far) better that The Regen Solid Adapter without the shield/ braid not connected from end to end. What in our opinion is off standard (USB 2.0) ...but you never know if the SQ would be better or not.

There are still so many unexplored areas in USB-land. Referring also to the fine and wonderful upgrade by means of the Uptone (Amber) REGEN.

May be we should start a company like Uptone ...producing High Quality very short USB-cables and Solid adapters; Made in the Netherlands smile.png

Please check actual shootouts about AUDIO USB-cables that there are better resp. other USB-cables configurations which rank higher in terms of SQ than the Supra from Sweden.

For instance take a look at Supra USB 2.0 review | What Hi-Fi?

and http://www.jenving.com/pdf/hm1311_USB-test_swedish.pdf

Ps. retail cost in the Netherlands €45,00 for 2.0 meter

Superdad (post # 2287) apparently ....cannot give us more guidance what would be the best technical and SQ- solution ......only that we have to do it ourselves by means of Trial and Errorsmile.png

Very best regards, Andreas

Andreas,

They took awhile to arrive, but it's from China after all. Once that bulge was stripped away, I noticed one small white wire inside a the exposed side of a clear (polyethylene?) plastic shell. I checked the continuity of the connector shields, and 0 ohms, so they are connected.

I have the same USB Adapter as DAudio (cost $2.50 for 2 of them), also the one included with the Regen, and another type, Silver Plated (cost $3 for 4 of them).

Got my DMM out and tested for continuity, I got the same result for continuity (connected) as DAudio, ... different result (not connected) for the one included with the Regen and the Silver Plated one's I got from eBay.

IMG_0193.jpg

I have a very slight preference (not connected) for either the silver plated one's or the one included with the Regen ... rather than the longer gold one (connected).

To keep things in perspective, the difference was very subtle, and only when performing critical listening between all three types ... and if I had to do a blind test, well I am sure that I would fail.

If I had to use the longer gold adapters again it would not worry me as it pretty much sounds the same.

Like DAudio, I also opened up the longer black adapter ... it was not pretty inside.

Still, I preferred this adapter (or any of the others I have mentioned) over using an iFi Gemini or iFi Mercury usb cable ... or any other USB cable (I mention the iFi cables, because up until I tried using USB adapters, the iFi gear was the very best that I had found in my limited USB cable shootout. iFi makes great gear).

If someone made a decent audiophile USB adapter then I would be interested, though I am unaware of anyone doing that, so will probably get some USB ends from Parts Connection (thanks FMAK for mentioning that) and buy & cut up a Supra USB cable to use for the wire between each USB end (at least with the Supra I will know the wire is 90 ohms). Not high on my list of future projects though (the thought of soldering those little USB plugs is off putting, making my own DIY DC cables is bad enough).

So, for about the cost of a cup of coffee, I did some trial and error (usb adapters ... connected vs not connected) ... and found no real difference. Just my experience.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

(snip)

Straight away I went and ordered 2 of the 0.7mtr Supra cables and I am now running with a Supra between the Regen and the DAC, to be honest so far everything sounds as good as when I put in the Blue iUSB cable but maybe there is a little more body but I will need more time to let it settle in.

For me there is no going back to the short solid AB connector.

Cheers, Pearse.

Thanks for this idea Pearse.

I have two Supra 0.7m cables, but never thought to try placing them both upstream and downstream from the USB Regen.

(snip)

This morning, I've done a lot of listening, going back and forth between the UpTone-supplied hard adapter and a second Supra 0.7m cable (between the USB regen and the DAC).

I can't detect any differences.

Perhaps that's just a testament to the quality of the Supra cables -or- a testament to my hearing not being as sensitive to subtle changes as I'd like it to be.

In any case, I like the idea of getting a properly-connected high quality adapter, but right now, I can't sense any need for improvement.

I have the same USB Adapter as DAudio (cost $2.50 for 2 of them), also the one included with the Regen, and another type, Silver Plated (cost $3 for 4 of them).

Do you have a link for those Silver Plated?

Thanks

Thanks

link below

Pack of 4 USB Connector 2.0 A Male to B Male USB Adapter

ebay seller is hdmiandmore-com

price has gone up $USD 3.72 for a pack of 4 ... about 93 cents each.

shipping is a couple of dollars.

$_12.JPG

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

I wouldn't bet on them being silver plated, but silver colored plating.

Thanks

Forrest:

Alright gents, better tone it down before I get into trouble with the management. ;)

We are not much into crowd-funding/design (unless you want to design a camel), but I'll take input on color combo for the little case. Here are the choices. No promises about going along with the crowd, and in the end there will be only one color combo offered.

Remember, this thing will measure just 55mm x 45mm x 18mm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16060[/ATTACH]

When the thing sits at the back and should be out of touch when using a fixed link connection?

It'll be far better if people ask you to accelerate fixing the connection versus SQ issue.

fmak