IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Is it really that good to disrupt the ground wire? Enough to fix a switch in the ground circuit to be either open or closed for boot or listening? I like the idea but visual clutter is starting to overwhelm me.

However, at one point the ground wire was accidentally disconnected. Surprisingly, it seems the Belden cable works fine in 2 wire mode. Indeed the SQ is improved from the connected ground configuration.

Re-booting the SMS-100 requires that the USB ground cable be reconnected for handshake with the DAC. But once done, despite disconnection of the ground line, the system continues to work in a stable fashion. It should be said that the REGEN and the SMS-100 are powered by two LPSes supplied by two different isolation transformers with floating neutrals.

As my system is left powered on, the SMS-100 is seldom re-booted, and so I am going to leave the cable in this state. This is the best SQ ever achieved here.

It just keeps getting better.

Around 4 years ago, sjoc2000 reported that with his Peachtree DAC, if you took the resistance in the earth lead to too high a value (>50 ohms IIRC), that you would get random loss of connection, often after quite a period of time.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hello hltf,

I added the UpTone Audio JS-2/MMK/Regen/custom DC cable for JS-2 to Regen. The Regen first followed a few days later1 by the JS-2/MMK after I accomplished the replacement of the factory power supply for my Mac Mini mid-2011. I replaced my SR Active SE USB cable with a Light Harmonic LightSpeed 0.8M (Standard) USB cable. See my signature for the other Synergistic Research components. The addition of the Regen alone resulted in a change to the SQ of my system. First impression, the difference was apparent. Different good or different not as good. I discerned an improvement. And that changed over time.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if after the addition of the JS-2/MMK was there a further different and, if so, was the difference greater, lesser or no difference to the SQ. The SQ changed further. With more hours on the Regen even further difference. I recently changed the output of the JS-2 DC output 1 which was set to 7V to power the Regen to 9V. I believe there may have been a subtle difference. I am not sure, yet. Presently, the SQ is slightly edgier in clarity than before. I am not sure what is creating this. Combination of software/hardware? USB cable?

I also recently added a life-time membership license to roon. Followed by Dirac Live (Full). Updated HQPlayer to 3.8.0 the latest build. DSD256 sounded very dynamic when it plays at that resolution. Amarra Symphony with iRC also sounds slightly edgier. Depending on the software player the volume levels set to fixed for roon are controlled by my STP-SE Stage 2 preamp (Wyred4Sound) exclusively. I am sorting out the change in SQ. For example, DSD 64/128 sounds better more detailed/dynamic/but slightly brighter. It's a different SQ than I have been used to prior to adding UpTone Audio components and the recent changes in additional software players. TIDAL HIFI sounds very good when played through roon and Amarra For TIDAL (HIFI).

You really need to assess the sonic signature quality for yourself in fairness.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard.

I do find the overall sound to be much better with the Regen, though definitely with more bass information. I took out all the black plate tubes in my DAC and amp as the sound became a bit too warm for me with them in.

I do wonder what the impact of the JS-2 and controller would be on my setup. I guess as you say I will have to try them myself if I want to know.

I am also thinking over server options for the longer term. So its all food for thought.

hltf

Good point, I think either Alex or John made the same point somewhere.

Around 4 years ago, sjoc2000 reported that with his Peachtree DAC, if you took the resistance in the earth lead to too high a value (>50 ohms IIRC), that you would get random loss of connection, often after quite a period of time.
Is it really that good to disrupt the ground wire? Enough to fix a switch in the ground circuit to be either open or closed for boot or listening? I like the idea but visual clutter is starting to overwhelm me.

Hi Theo,

For the avoidance of doubt, it was the USB ground conductor that was accidentally disconnected in the cable, leaving the D+, and D- conductors intact.

Sorry for the poor wording in the previous post.

And yes, there is a switch in that cable now. I am not fond of the visuals either, but it does sound awfully good.

It seems to me this is the USB equivalent of the Pin 1 problem on balanced XLR cables where the ground wire is interrupted to remove ground loops.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

No I get that. But what about intermittent dropouts. Get any of those?

QUOTE=lmitche;450189]Hi Theo,

For the avoidance of doubt, it was the USB ground conductor that was accidentally disconnected in the cable, leaving the D+, and D- conductors intact.

Sorry for the poor wording in the previous post.

And yes, there is a switch in that cable now. I am not fond of the visuals either, but it does sound awfully good.

It seems to me this is the USB equivalent of the Pin 1 problem on balanced XLR cables where the ground wire is interrupted to remove ground loops.

Larry

Hi Larry:

You lifted the black ground wire, but what about the shields? Every USB device ties those back to ground, so unless you made yourself a custom 2-wire cable (plus switchable ground wire) without the USB shells connected, then I'm not sure if you really have "lifted" the ground.

Cheers,

ALEX

What order numbers are being processed now?

Excerpted from a post I made yesterday (in the wrong thread, but as reply to a similar question:

The last (12) of the July-promised orders went out Monday--that's 300 for the month, whew!

As of today, the lowest unfilled order number (aside from 3 people who asked me to hold shipment due to vacation) is #1644. That number, all the way through to #1914 were all promised mid-August shipment, that's 300 units (some people ordered more than one).

And incoming parts to stay on track all look good, though maybe the last 30 of August's 300 will ship late in the month.

Orders #1915 and above--and any new orders placed now--will ship in September. I think very early September looks good, but don't hold me to that just yet. REGENs combined with record demand for JS-2s make for a lot of moving parts to this growing operation.

So all is looking good, and I hope that by mid-September we will just have stock on the shelf to ship the same week as people order. That has been our goal for a while, but too many people keep ordering the darn thing! ;)

Thanks,

AJC

Hi Larry:

You lifted the black ground wire, but what about the shields? Every USB device ties those back to ground, so unless you made yourself a custom 2-wire cable (plus switchable ground wire) without the USB shells connected, then I'm not sure if you really have "lifted" the ground.

Cheers,

ALEX

Yes, I made a custom two wire cable with a switch. With the ground switched off, there are only two conductors between the two USB shells, D+ and D-. And yes, the shields are indeed connected to ground.

However, the two devices are on two separate power supplies, and two different isolation transformers, so there is unlikely to be an alternative ground path. Hence my surprised that this configuration works at all.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I'm wondering if anyone has compared these configurations:

Source -> Regen -> USB Cable -> 2nd Regen -> Solid USB Adapter -> DAC

Against

Source -> Schiit Wyrd -> USB Cable -> Regen -> Solid USB Adapter -> DAC

I've read posts where people have done one or the other, but not both. I have other things to spend money on so I probably wont buy a 2nd Regen, but would consider the cheaper Wyrd if it gets you close to the performance of 2 Regens, and if the cumulative effect is a significant improvement over using just a single Regen.

I'm using a MacBook Pro as a source currently but am considering using a Mac Mini in the future.

Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has compared these configurations:

Source -> Regen -> USB Cable -> 2nd Regen -> Solid USB Adapter -> DAC

Against

Source -> Schiit Wyrd -> USB Cable -> Regen -> Solid USB Adapter -> DAC

I've read posts where people have done one or the other, but not both. I have other things to spend money on so I probably wont buy a 2nd Regen, but would consider the cheaper Wyrd if it gets you close to the performance of 2 Regens, and if the cumulative effect is a significant improvement over using just a single Regen.

I'm using a MacBook Pro as a source currently but am considering using a Mac Mini in the future.

Thanks.

I know I am biased, but since the Wyrd requires an additional USB cable and most of its circuitry is dedicated to improving the 5VBUS which the REGEN ignores (yes, it uses a hub chip--the same one we do, but there does not appear to be any special effort at impedance control or power network around it), my suggestion would be to save your money towards a that Mac mini.

The mini (even with its stock SMPS) will sound better than your MacBook Pro (I've done that Apples-to-Apples comparison--booting both machines from the same SD card--several times and the laptop always looses, sorry).

Just my $0.02; YMMV; :)

I know I am biased, but since the Wyrd requires an additional USB cable and most of its circuitry is dedicated to improving the 5VBUS which the REGEN ignores (yes, it uses a hub chip--the same one we do, but there does not appear to be any special effort at impedance control or power network around it), my suggestion would be to save your money towards a that Mac mini.

The mini (even with its stock SMPS) will sound better than your MacBook Pro (I've done that Apples-to-Apples comparison--booting both machines from the same SD card--several times and the laptop always looses, sorry).

Just my $0.02; YMMV; :)

Thanks Alex. That's a good plan. And then I'll have to own the rest of the stuff you guys make.

Just received the latest Quarter Notes newsletter (Volume 5, Issue1) by Jim Smith of "Get Better Sound".

A very strong positive & articulate review of the USB Regen.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Alex,

My Quarter Notes newsletter for 7,000 subscribers comes out shortly.

In it, among other topics, I discuss my REGEN amber.

For now, I can only say that it could adversely affect your spare time. :)

Best,

Jim

Just finished reading the newsletter, I guess you liked it ;-). I'm sure Alex & John will be pleased.

Is there an on-line link to the newsletter?

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Is there an on-line link to the newsletter?

I think it is a subscription service (I own Jim Smith's DVD and Book versions of "Get Better Sound").

Have just sent an email to Jim asking if I may have permission to post the content of his Regen review into this thread here on CA.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Superdad

"The mini (even with its stock SMPS) will sound better than your MacBook Pro (I've done that Apples-to-Apples comparison--booting both machines from the same SD card--several times and the laptop always looses, sorry)."

May I ask if you have tried a Mac Book Pro powered from external battery pack or one using a LPS at 19v. versus one connected using it's 85w amps and if so did it make any improvements.

A flaw in reasoning is a mistake in how conclusions are derived from assumptions, not a mistake in assumptions.

AB835

Superdad

"The mini (even with its stock SMPS) will sound better than your MacBook Pro (I've done that Apples-to-Apples comparison--booting both machines from the same SD card--several times and the laptop always looses, sorry)."

May I ask if you have tried a Mac Book Pro powered from external battery pack or one using a LPS at 19v. versus one connected using it's 85w amps and if so did it make any improvements.

Not Superdad ... but I have some experience with trying to get my MacBook to sound better ... and it was never close at all ... my old (now retired) 2009 Mac Mini always beat my late 2011 17" Macbook (quad core 2.4 gHz with 3 SSD's, 16 GB RAM).

I have a XPAL 18000 LiPo battery which does 19V and that did not really help at all for the MacBook. The Mac Mini was just using it's standard SMPS and it always won. Was kind of surprised by the result as I do not like SMPS on anything, had expected the MacBook to perform better (either running on it's own battery or the external LiPo battery).

I applied the usual tweaks to both, such as turn off spotlight indexing and other Mac OS X configuration tweaks.

The MacBook works great as a music server running JRiver Media Centre ... then used JRemote iOS app on my iPad/iPhone to access CD ripped music (using the Apple CCK to connect iDevice to DAC's). That works great ... but directly attaching my MacBook via USB to my DAC's just sounded harsh and fatiguing ... not for me.

Just my experience.

John

Dear SuperBad I had a bad experience of twisting off my downstream usb on my green Regen (going into my amber Regen). Can I get these connectors locally? Standard part? Do I solder it to the green mobo or just mechanically lock it in? I know this would not have happened with the green dressed in a nice case but that was not the case (so to speak).

I think it is a subscription service (I own Jim Smith's DVD and Book versions of "Get Better Sound").

Have just sent an email to Jim asking if I may have permission to post the content of his Regen review into this thread here on CA.

Thanks!

I've received a surprising number of e-mails so I am going to include the REGEN comments only, not the rest of Quarter Notes newsletter #17, which is part of the Get Better Sound purchase.

IMO, what I wrote is similar to what has been said here. I simply wanted to notify my subscribers about the REGEN:

Better sound for your computer audio – without breaking the bank

A few months ago, several threads began on the forums at Computer Audiophile.com. They were discussing a new device, the Uptone Audio USB REGEN.

I ignored the threads at first, but they continued to grow steadily. Finally, I took a look and discovered who was behind this tiny upstart audio company. Without going into those details, let me simply say that it turned out that I personally knew and respected one of the two principals, and I knew the other by his excellent reputation.

I am not going to waste your time listing all of the reasons why this item works so well. At the end of this article, you will find a link to the Uptone Audio website and two of the CA threads about the REGEN.

However, a few observations might be useful.

First, this only applies to those systems that use a USB cable to their USB-asynchronous-capable DAC, typically from a computer. For example, I use a MacBook Pro Retina with SSD, stripped down for only audio, sending the music signal via a Light Harmonic Lightspeed split USB cable to my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC.

The REGEN is a small device that plugs into the DAC’s USB input. It gets fed the USB signal from my computer.

The REGEN is $175.00. It makes a difference - comparable in most systems – to components costing many hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars!

Frankly, I didn’t expect much because my digital components were very good. That’s probably why I was shocked at how greatly the REGEN improved my system.

And I still don’t see how it could make such an easily audible difference. But it does.

Bass is not just more tuneful and agile, it’s more powerful. As I am sure you do, I have a number of recordings that I thought I knew how strong their bass drum or organ notes were. This was not a subtle effect. In fact, I would wager it may even be measurable.

Instruments and vocals have a greater sense of palpability. Sounds such as guitar notes have a greater harmonic density. There seems to be more presence and even more spatial cues as well. From what I can surmise, these effects may vary from system to system, depending on the computer, DAC, and USB cable.

I bought mine directly from Uptone Audio, just like everyone else. At $175, I couldn’t bring myself to ask for an industry discount. And from what I now know that it does, I’d easily consider paying 5-10 times that price.

Apart from Get Better Sound or maybe a RoomPlay session (OK, I am hopelessly biased), I cannot think of a better buy in audio just now. And Uptone has an affordable power supply upgrade in the works as well. I definitely plan to buy that - if it does anything like I suspect that it might, I’ll report back on it in a future Quarter Notes.

In these times, when audio components are sold at amazingly higher and higher prices, the reasonable price for this item makes it a best buy. REGEN sales are way ahead of production. When I ordered mine, I paid and got in line. Don’t be put off by paying and waiting a bit. The combo of performance and price may keep this item back ordered.

I hope the audiophile community will support Alex & John. My highest recommendation.

USB REGEN; UpTone Audio

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/index23.html#post418118

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index57.html

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com