IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

When the thing sits at the back and should be out of touch when using a fixed link connection?

It'll be far better if people ask you to accelerate fixing the connection versus SQ issue.

You do know the color was settled months ago (shortly after the 2014 post you're responding to only now was sent), right?

As for the "connection versus SQ issue" that a couple of people out of hundreds have mentioned, I know you'll be helpful with suggestions based on your expertise for solutions to help those unable to make good use of the *two* alternatives provided with the Regen.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I think what fmak is suggesting is that they solve the SQ changes with different types of connections- solid, cable ect...

You do know the color was settled months ago (shortly after the 2014 post you're responding to only now was sent), right?

As for the "connection versus SQ issue" that a couple of people out of hundreds have mentioned, I know you'll be helpful with suggestions based on your expertise for solutions to help those unable to make good use of the *two* alternatives provided with the Regen.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

When the thing sits at the back and should be out of touch when using a fixed link connection?

It'll be far better if people ask you to accelerate fixing the connection versus SQ issue.

If you read a few more posts, you'd see that the color thing was a joke....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have better things to do than to read posts that are irrelevant to improving performance or sound quality.

You must have been doing those better things since 2014 then.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Me 2008/ 352 posts

You 2010/ 8790 posts

My time is expensive.

We beg you to spend more of it providing valuable input such as critiquing Alex's taking the opportunity to ask us about colors seven months ago.

Not to change the subject....but I have run across an issue with my Geek Pulse, Foobar and my newly delivered Regen not playing nice. First off, I'm not a huge fan of the whole LH Labs experience. My 'vanilla' Pulse has been sent back once to fix the volume control issue, but as Alex has said 'when it does play it's not bad'. I have it as my headphone DAC / amp right now.

I received my Regen today and wanted to burn it in before putting in my main system. Windows 7, Foobar2000, WASPI push (LH Labs). Insert Regen and LH Labs options go away. Remove Regen, it's back. Hard connector, short USB no difference. Re-boots, Geek Pulse off/on, no change

Take my old MF VDac, Vamp out of the closet, insert Regen.....no problem.

Does anyone have an idea why Foobar can't deal with the Regen with the Pulse, but with the VDac it's not a problem?

BTW, it's going in my main between my Mini and Teac 501 and probably will not have an issue, but if it's the Pulse I would like an excuse to send it back to them (again). Can't wait for my Wave and the fun that will bring.

Does anyone have an idea why Foobar can't deal with the Regen with the Pulse...

I have to do the chicken dance to get my Geek Pulse to work with my Mac--REGEN or not. So I can't help you. For me, having the Pulse on, and then plugging in a powered on REGEN with USB attached from the computer seems to work. But Windoz and all those drivers, etc. seems to give people fits.

It's not the REGEN, that's for sure. It is a 100% USB2.0-compliant hub. About the only difference is that it ignores whatever is coming in on Pin1 5VBUS.

Good luck. I'm sure your Teac 501 will be very happy to place nice with the REGEN.

I have better things to do than to read posts that are irrelevant to improving performance or sound quality.

I hear ya. BUt one thing I have noticed is that there is a great deal of synaesthesia with my listening. I cant even listen properly if there is a bright light in the foreground. Light colored silver boxes and bright LEDs also take me out of the listening experience.

So its black on black all the way for me. The less I notice and the more equipment disappears the better the sound for me.

That said my priority is also short well specced connection between Regen and DAC. I would love one of your home made cables, a short Supra or the fabled flexible PCB conector

A question for those who are familiar with both the Regen and the JS-2. I recently got myself a USB Regen for my 2010 MacMini with SS hard disk which I have been using as a server. This has been absolutely great for my digital SQ as I have mentioned elsewhere on this or another CA thread. As further background, I power my MacMini from my Synergistic Research Powercell Mk3 conditioner using a good active SR cable. I asked Alex C. a question which he said that perhaps one or more of the participants on this thread could help out easily. So here it is. Would you say that the impact on my SQ of adding an Uptone JS-2 LPS and Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit together would be about equal to that of adding the USB Regen alone into my system? Or less? Or greater?

Thanks for any insights.

hltf

I cant even listen properly if there is a bright light in the foreground. Light colored silver boxes and bright LEDs also take me out of the listening experience.

So its black on black all the way for me. The less I notice and the more equipment disappears the better the sound for me.

There are too many LEDs nowadays, so much so I am thinking of making little obstructors for them all, or even disconnecting them in some appliances...

We already put out most lights when listening.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

There are too many LEDs nowadays, so much so I am thinking of making little obstructors for them all, or even disconnecting them in some appliances...

I'm hoping for a new Uptone product - small round adhesive carbon fiber stickers to place over the LEDs, available in silver and black.

;-)

A question for those who are familiar with both the Regen and the JS-2. I recently got myself a USB Regen for my 2010 MacMini with SS hard disk which I have been using as a server. This has been absolutely great for my digital SQ as I have mentioned elsewhere on this or another CA thread. As further background, I power my MacMini from my Synergistic Research Powercell Mk3 conditioner using a good active SR cable. I asked Alex C. a question which he said that perhaps one or more of the participants on this thread could help out easily. So here it is. Would you say that the impact on my SQ of adding an Uptone JS-2 LPS and Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit together would be about equal to that of adding the USB Regen alone into my system? Or less? Or greater?

Thanks for any insights.

Hello hltf,

I added the UpTone Audio JS-2/MMK/Regen/custom DC cable for JS-2 to Regen. The Regen first followed a few days later1 by the JS-2/MMK after I accomplished the replacement of the factory power supply for my Mac Mini mid-2011. I replaced my SR Active SE USB cable with a Light Harmonic LightSpeed 0.8M (Standard) USB cable. See my signature for the other Synergistic Research components. The addition of the Regen alone resulted in a change to the SQ of my system. First impression, the difference was apparent. Different good or different not as good. I discerned an improvement. And that changed over time.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if after the addition of the JS-2/MMK was there a further different and, if so, was the difference greater, lesser or no difference to the SQ. The SQ changed further. With more hours on the Regen even further difference. I recently changed the output of the JS-2 DC output 1 which was set to 7V to power the Regen to 9V. I believe there may have been a subtle difference. I am not sure, yet. Presently, the SQ is slightly edgier in clarity than before. I am not sure what is creating this. Combination of software/hardware? USB cable?

I also recently added a life-time membership license to roon. Followed by Dirac Live (Full). Updated HQPlayer to 3.8.0 the latest build. DSD256 sounded very dynamic when it plays at that resolution. Amarra Symphony with iRC also sounds slightly edgier. Depending on the software player the volume levels set to fixed for roon are controlled by my STP-SE Stage 2 preamp (Wyred4Sound) exclusively. I am sorting out the change in SQ. For example, DSD 64/128 sounds better more detailed/dynamic/but slightly brighter. It's a different SQ than I have been used to prior to adding UpTone Audio components and the recent changes in additional software players. TIDAL HIFI sounds very good when played through roon and Amarra For TIDAL (HIFI).

You really need to assess the sonic signature quality for yourself in fairness.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Richard

I'm hoping for a new Uptone product - small round adhesive carbon fiber stickers to place over the LEDs, available in silver and black.

;-)

Already on the market: Amazon.com: LightDims: Tools & Home Improvement

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Speaking of dimming LEDs (I hate bright ones too, though at least the REGEN's is in the back and behind the DAC):

We just changed the value of the resistor that sets the current on the REGEN's LED. The 500 boards being built for September (and onward) will have about half the LED brightness than the units already out there.

(And please, no special requests regarding this. No update is offered for this minor change.)

Alex, Jud, anyone...

Has anyone changed their favorite iZotope settings for Audirvana+ since adding their REGEN for even greater improvement?

BTW, A+ Remote was released today in the Apple Store for a mere $9.99 !!!

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

Alex, Jud, anyone...

Has anyone changed their favorite iZotope settings for Audirvana+ since adding their REGEN for even greater improvement?

Thought about it, but it sounds so great as it is, I'm not sure when (or even if) I'll get to it.

BTW, A+ Remote was released today in the Apple Store for a mere $9.99 !!!

Yayy! I think folks are going to like it, especially for the first release.

I wonder if those could cause a problem with the LED overheating...

The amount of power in the beam from an indicator LED is in the micro-watt range, you would have a very hard time measuring any temperature rise due to the absorbed light.

So no, don't worry about anything getting too hot from adding a dimming film.

John S.

I wonder if those could cause a problem with the LED overheating...

Most modern indicator LEDs run on only a few mA of current and have a voltage drop of 1.5V to 3.3V depending on the type, so their heat dissipation is VERY low.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Today some time was spent testing the potential of a SQ increase by adding a 10 ohm resistor to the ground line of my 3 wire USB cable made from Belden quad. This cable sits between a SMS-100 and the green REGEN. The green REGEN connects to an amber REGEN via a .7 meter Supra cable, and then with a hard connector to the DAC.

Adding the 10 resistor was detrimental as the low end was diminished.

However, at one point the ground wire was accidentally disconnected. Surprisingly, it seems the Belden cable works fine in 2 wire mode. Indeed the SQ is improved from the connected ground configuration.

Re-booting the SMS-100 requires that the USB ground cable be reconnected for handshake with the DAC. But once done, despite disconnection of the ground line, the system continues to work in a stable fashion. It should be said that the REGEN and the SMS-100 are powered by two LPSes supplied by two different isolation transformers with floating neutrals.

As my system is left powered on, the SMS-100 is seldom re-booted, and so I am going to leave the cable in this state. This is the best SQ ever achieved here.

It just keeps getting better.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I have to do the chicken dance to get my Geek Pulse to work with my Mac--REGEN or not. So I can't help you. For me, having the Pulse on, and then plugging in a powered on REGEN with USB attached from the computer seems to work. But Windoz and all those drivers, etc. seems to give people fits.

It's not the REGEN, that's for sure. It is a 100% USB2.0-compliant hub. About the only difference is that it ignores whatever is coming in on Pin1 5VBUS.

Good luck. I'm sure your Teac 501 will be very happy to place nice with the REGEN.

You were right, the Regen plays very nice with my Teac 501 and OSX :) Thanks Alex and John.

Not to change the subject....but I have run across an issue with my Geek Pulse, Foobar and my newly delivered Regen not playing nice. First off, I'm not a huge fan of the whole LH Labs experience. My 'vanilla' Pulse has been sent back once to fix the volume control issue, but as Alex has said 'when it does play it's not bad'. I have it as my headphone DAC / amp right now.

I received my Regen today and wanted to burn it in before putting in my main system. Windows 7, Foobar2000, WASPI push (LH Labs). Insert Regen and LH Labs options go away. Remove Regen, it's back. Hard connector, short USB no difference. Re-boots, Geek Pulse off/on, no change

Take my old MF VDac, Vamp out of the closet, insert Regen.....no problem.

Does anyone have an idea why Foobar can't deal with the Regen with the Pulse, but with the VDac it's not a problem?

BTW, it's going in my main between my Mini and Teac 501 and probably will not have an issue, but if it's the Pulse I would like an excuse to send it back to them (again). Can't wait for my Wave and the fun that will bring.

Contact LH Pulse. I wonder if their volume control implementation needs to "see the player", as it happens with Geek Out. Should not, because there is a volume control on the on Pulse...but please check.