IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

I made my own heavy gauge pure silver 10cm USB cable, with silver solder, without the 5v rail but with shielded ground (using a silver balanced, screened cable)... after all this I still prefer the cheap solid connector with only pins 2 and 3 connected (pins 1 and 4 taped over at DAC end).

Given the quality difference in materials I expected the cable to sound better, but I don't think it does.

I might now try a 5cm version (or shortest possible) with only pins 2 and 3 connected to simulate a pure silver solid adaptor.

I think you are right to point out that there isn't a universal silver bullet solution for all regen users.

OTOH, YMM (very definitely) V. Perhaps different systems, perhaps a matter of taste, likely a combination of both with yet other factors, but for me the following was the case:

- When trying USB cables, I very much preferred the Mapleshade to either the Starlight or Furutech (or any Audioquest I heard, which included the Coffee at twice the Mapleshade's price).

- When I had the Corning USB, I tried the Mapleshade between Regen and DAC, but preferred the solid adapter.

So take from that what you will.

P.S. Jason, you're correct about my current configuration.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I made my own heavy gauge pure silver 10cm USB cable, with silver solder, without the 5v rail but with shielded ground (using a silver balanced, screened cable)... after all this I still prefer the cheap solid connector with only pins 2 and 3 connected (pins 1 and 4 taped over at DAC end).

Given the quality difference in materials I expected the cable to sound better, but I don't think it does.

I might now try a 5cm version (or shortest possible) with only pins 2 and 3 connected to simulate a pure silver solid adaptor.

I think you are right to point out that there isn't a universal silver bullet solution for all regen users.

an unscreened Data+ and - 10 cm cable using conductors from the Wireworld Starlight.

It was disappointing compare to the Wireworld shielded version.

fmak

Good stuff... I'll knock one up this morning.

Did you also try going shortest possible?, probably could get the wire part down to 2 cm (ish).

an unscreened Data+ and - 10 cm cable using conductors from the Wireworld Starlight.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

best USB cable, USB cable, USBcable, USB, cable - AQVOX Audio Devices

Hi Robin,

The link is right there in the quote. Of course, the tip is for those like myself for whom assembling a DIY USB cable is not an option.

Al J

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

best USB cable, USB cable, USBcable, USB, cable - AQVOX Audio Devices

Hi Robin,

The link is right there in the quote. Of course, the tip is for those like myself for whom assembling a DIY USB cable is not an option.

Al J

Much appreciated,, looks like it's not available in the US and it's really not all that cheap either for a 4.7" shortie. I'll stick with the solid adapter for the time being seeing as DIY isn't in my DNA either.

Just knocked this up with the heavy sold silver wires, only pin 2 & 3 connected, it works as expected, so will test SQ later.

usb

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Robin,

The US is on their shipping list. See Zone 3. The cable weighs next to nothing and is sent in a padded envelope.

Versand, Online-Shop, HighEnd Audio, Computer Audio, bester Klang, computer-audio, hifi Notebook, USB DAC, Vinyl, Preamp, 192/24, High End HiFi, audiophile - AQVOX Audio Devices

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Apart from shielding, isn't the coaxial shield and the conductor geometry part of the design in achieving the characteristic impedance? In other words could removing the shield actually be putting it out of spec? Anyone know for sure?

Maybe, but it does sound better that way.

Rules are meant to be broken, particularly if in the name of progress.

;-)

... regardless, I would also be keen to get some expert opinions on the electrical implications of lifting the ground.

PS: after a good listening session just now, my new DIY solid silver 2 pin (data only) USB connector is staying in.

Apart from shielding, isn't the coaxial shield and the conductor geometry part of the design in achieving the characteristic impedance? In other words could removing the shield actually be putting it ou of spec? Anyone know for sure?

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I can't recall which Regen thread it was in and I might be wrong, but I think John Swenson wrote that we should use Pins 2, 3 and 4 (ground) when crafting a data-only USB cable.

I can't recall which Regen thread it was in and I might be wrong, but I think John Swenson wrote that we should use Pins 2, 3 and 4 (ground) when crafting a data-only USB cable.

The USB system uses pull up resistors on one or the other D signal to tell the host what speed it is. These are single ended signals, they HAVE to have some form of ground connection to work.

So if you have JUST the two data pins connected, the gnd pin un-connected AND the shield is un-connected then a DAC (or any other USB device) should not work. If it does then you have a ground loop somewhere. (actually it is a rather good test of having a ground loop)

Note that the shield can be used as the ground connection if it is connected at both ends. This means a cable that is a shielded single twisted pair WILL work as long as the shields are connected at both ends. (provided of course the DAC doesn't use VBUS for anything)

John S.

That's very interesting thank you John.

So I must have a ground loop between the Aurender N100 & Auralic Vega DAC?

I have no idea where that might be, other than the mains earths, but will investigate.

It does sound better without the USB earth connected, so one earth seems to be better than 2 then.

The USB system uses pull up resistors on one or the other D signal to tell the host what speed it is. These are single ended signals, they HAVE to have some form of ground connection to work.

So if you have JUST the two data pins connected, the gnd pin un-connected AND the shield is un-connected then a DAC (or any other USB device) should not work. If it does then you have a ground loop somewhere. (actually it is a rather good test of having a ground loop)

Note that the shield can be used as the ground connection if it is connected at both ends. This means a cable that is a shielded single twisted pair WILL work as long as the shields are connected at both ends. (provided of course the DAC doesn't use VBUS for anything)

John S.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

That's very interesting thank you John.

So I must have a ground loop between the Aurender N100 & Auralic Vega DAC?

I have no idea where that might be, other than the mains earths, but will investigate.

It does sound better without the USB earth connected, so one earth seems to be better than 2 then.

Yes, I can confirm this : I used a cheap USB cable where I snipped the 5V and ground, AND cut away the mantle. So really only the 2 data lines are used and my Minimax DAC still works. The DAC does not need the 5V and is grounded via mains earth. My NUC computer is not grounded via mains earth. Where could the ground loop be?

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Yeah, send me an e-mail and I'll make you a good deal.

You folks have to be gentle with stuff. Electronic connectors are not plumbing fittings! ;)

Alex,

That must have been me. My castrated Regen should have reached you. Always happy with a deal!

Thanks

Z

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

After I had experimented with various power supply alternatives for the Regen and stopped at the SBOOSTER BOTW P&P 6V (at least until the Uptone mystery PS is unveiled), the rather obvious thought that the solid adaptor between Regen and DAC is a serious handicap began to gnaw at me.

I replaced it with various USB cables that I had lying around: Furutech GT2, Wireworld Starlight 7, Locus Design Nucleus, Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryo Silver Reference, Light Harmonic Lightspeed, most of which made a worthwhile improvement, but not a giant leap forward.

When I saw the above note about the Aqvox ultra-short USB cable (available as 12, 15, 20, 25 or 30 cm at the same price, 132 Euro), I decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if anyone else would give it a try. Nothing happened, so I thought, why not?

I am a long-time satisfied user of their 5V USB power units and the ultra-shorty ticks all the right boxes: 90 Ohm impedance-corrected, solid metal USB connectors, 24 karat gold-plated contacts, silver solder, Oxygen-Free Copper conductors, double shielding optimized for low inductance and capacitance, no ferrite elements, gas-filled insulation for improved damping,...

I am going to try to curb my enthusiasm, but damnit, this 4.7" connection makes a huge difference as a replacement for the adaptor. Mainly, it seems as if the noise floor has dropped further, revealing more micro-detail at extreme low levels.

Fade-outs now last longer before disappearing below the noise threshold. The halo of ambient space around voices and instruments is more readily apparent, enriching the size and solidity of the soundscape. What we way back in the 80's described as intertransient silence is now blacker and deeper, allowing the leading edges of transients to rise up faster, cleaner and sharper. Background instruments and voices are clearer and distinctly positioned.

I am in no position to say whether the inprovement is a consequence of the length or the impedance correction, but the result is simply more music for very little money.

(I have no affiliation whatsoever with Aqvox, except as a satisfied customer.)

Hi Al,

thanks for the recommendation of that very short Aqvox cable. Did you compare it to a Supra USB 2.0 also?

After your experience with upgrading the Regen's PSU, how much is the improvement of exchanging the solid adapter against the short Aqvox compared to

a) adding the BOTW SBooster Ultra to Meanwell SMPS

b) exchanging Meanwell SMPS against the BOTW P&P ECO 5V - 6V?

If you had to choose, would you go for swapping the solid adapter first or would you go for upgrading the PSU for the Regen first?

By the way: I talked to Aqvox today and they said sonically there is no difference between their shortest USB cable of 12 cm length and a length of 2-3m. They say the only benefit you get with these very short cables is to avoid unwanted cable loops which might be uncomfortable in certain installations – but no sonic effects at all.

Best regards

Stefan

Did some interesting experiments last night (couldn't really test a lot last night as it was late), overnight and this morning:

With the iFi iDSD Nano and my prototype short USB cable,

- disconnecting Vbus stops playback

- disconnecting GND is fine. Last night I couldn't listen a lot to that, but this morning, I ensure Audirvana is connected to the DAC, turn up the volume on the amp without playback and the usual background hiss is gone. The sound currently playing is really good, so I guess at least I win something with the GND disconnected

Here's where it gets hairy: my USB cable doesn't yet have a shield completed, so only signal lines twisted pair and the +5V are connected.

Now, not only this works with both shield and GND disconnected, but this morning it still works while I was expecting the battery to go low.

I guess it's working on battery for now. Will see if it runs out.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Stefan,

Never been a fan of Supra, so, no, no comparison.

I would put the cable improvement somewhere between your a) and b).

The LPS is a bigger step up than the Aqvox cable, but it also costs about twice as much, so...

I wrote in my original note that I couldn't say what specifically caused the improvement. Maybe the Aqvox is simply that much better.

Don't know, don't care. Just enjoying the music.

Al J.

If the solder pads aren't ruined, that unit would've been a good candidate for direct cable mounting. I'll be happy to take it off your hands Alex. I haven't had the heart to try it with mine. It would allow me to put the cover back on my DAC as well!

Alex,

That must have been me. My castrated Regen should have reached you. Always happy with a deal!

Thanks

Z

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz