IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

and maintain strict 90R impedance. It's the type of connector that is the problem.

An B to B arrangement would be more desirable. Or better for soldering A to A.

I agree with the 90R impedance, but not sure I follow you in the second sentence:

The distance from the iMac to the amp is fixed (for simplification), and so, I can do a shorter USB cable, but then my interconnects would be longer, or I could make shorter interconnects but then my USB cable would be longer, so I am wondering which one I should focus on.

The other question I had in that respect in the other thread is whether there is diminishing return with the shortest USB Connection (be it cable or connector) because the DAC is then near the computer (I see an AA member also asked that in your thread there).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I agree with the 90R impedance, but not sure I follow you in the second sentence:

The distance from the iMac to the amp is fixed (for simplification), and so, I can do a shorter USB cable, but then my interconnects would be longer, or I could make shorter interconnects but then my USB cable would be longer, so I am wondering which one I should focus on.

The other question I had in that respect in the other thread is whether there is diminishing return with the shortest USB Connection (be it cable or connector) because the DAC is then near the computer (I see an AA member also asked that in your thread there).

the way that an A and B male/female connectors are linked. Unless there is a convoluted manufacturing scheme, you cannot have

a SOLID A to B adapter.

fmak

the way that an A and B male/female connectors are linked. Unless there is a convoluted manufacturing scheme, you cannot have

a SOLID A to B adapter.

Hi Fred:

I enjoyed that other thread you started at AA. Thanks for the link.

Indeed "solid" USB adapters are not really solid. I have cut open and dissected almost a dozen of the lift buggers (in choosing the maker of the one I include with the REGEN). They are all mostly the same. The 4 pins are run and soldered to each plug with about 15mm of wire. Those wires get slightly bunched up when they put the two plugs into the machine that then molds a hard white plastic--around the wires and a portion of the shells to fuse it all into a "solid" piece (the black grip gets molded on in a second operation).

So no, they are perfect 90 ohm items, but then again, I wonder just how well a whole cable works in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have been able to include a really good very short cable with the REGEN. We even experimented with the expensive Wirenetics Teflon 90 ohms "military" USB wire (talk about hard to work with).

John and I are working on a non-cable USB cable solution (mentioned elsewhere but I don't like to repeat about it too much as we are still a ways off), but the sticking point is the darn USB 'B' plug. There is no such thing as a PCB mount USB 'B' male plug--or even one that has pins that extend to be able to make a vertical PCB plug from it. We might have to have something tooled ($$$). Until then, wires are still the only way to mate a USB 'B' plug.

One thing I think you mentioned and which I made note of a while back: These adapters (at least all the ones I have tested) do not connect the shields from one side to the other. I personally don't see this as a problem since they do connect pin 4 ground wire and virtually every USB device--host port, DAC, etc. (including the REGEN) ties pin 4 ground to its jack shield. So while adaptor shields "float" when you test it unconnected, they don't soon as you plug it into something.

I'll leave it to you and John and others to speculate if that is a good thing or not. I just wanted to be clear about how they test.

--Alex C.

So speaking of the solid USB adapter, why couldn't the Regen have been built with female B connector at one end, as it is now, and a male B connector at the other end?

Realize that wouldn't work for everyone and having more than one model of the Regen might be too much for UpTone right now, but might that be a viable alternative...eventually?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

After reading many posts on the less-than-stellar short USB cable that ships with the REGEN I decided to swap the cable for another (albeit longer) cable. I have several USB cables of varying quality not in use at present and of those, 2 stood out .. the Black Cat Silverstar and the stock blue iFi cable that ships with the iUSBPOWER. Much to my surprise the iFi cable won me over. Mainly using A+ these days now with this configuration:

Mac mini > Blue Jeans USB cable > REGEN (powered with SOtM mBPS-d2) > iFi USB cable > Tranquility DAC > etc.

Now I'm tempted to order the Supra y'all are talking about.

Hi Melvin,

If you like the iFi "Blue" USB cable you should try the iFi Gemini duel cable. I'm a true believer in separating the power from the data cables.

After reading many posts on the less-than-stellar short USB cable that ships with the REGEN I decided to swap the cable for another (albeit longer) cable. I have several USB cables of varying quality not in use at present and of those, 2 stood out .. the Black Cat Silverstar and the stock blue iFi cable that ships with the iUSBPOWER. Much to my surprise the iFi cable won me over. Mainly using A+ these days now with this configuration:

Mac mini > Blue Jeans USB cable > REGEN (powered with SOtM mBPS-d2) > iFi USB cable > Tranquility DAC > etc.

Dave

... Dave's not here

System: Mcintosh MC302 / Parasound P5 / Monitor Audio G60

Computer: Mac Mini 2012, SSD, 16gig, 10.10.3 with CAD 1.3 / External SSD via Thunderbolt / Amarra 3.0.3

Cables: iFi Gemini Duel Head USB Cable / Uptone Regen / Acoustic Zen / Unity Audio PC's

a SOLID A to B adapter.

Well, I had two options described in my post and it was about relative lengths of USB and interconnects, also named A & B...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

If you like the iFi "Blue" USB cable you should try the iFi Gemini duel cable. I'm a true believer in separating the power from the data cables.

You can count me in as a believer, I made my own cable like that and it works wonders.

One thing I think you mentioned and which I made note of a while back: These adapters (at least all the ones I have tested) do not connect the shields from one side to the other. I personally don't see this as a problem since they do connect pin 4 ground wire and virtually every USB device--host port, DAC, etc. (including the REGEN) ties pin 4 ground to its jack shield. So while adaptor shields "float" when you test it unconnected, they don't soon as you plug it into something.

I'll leave it to you and John and others to speculate if that is a good thing or not. I just wanted to be clear about how they test.

There's at least one source I was reading today that mentions both sides should be connected ideally.

Hi Melvin,

The USB Regen will not allow power to flow through Pins 1 & 4, so I'm wondering if a dual cable could be of any benefit. Without the Regen, yes, but with the Regen?

I had the same result about the iFi iUSB Power blue cable. I bought then the 0.7m SUPRA cable because of all the superlative comments, but the iFi is better. I my case I (have to) use it between the computer and the REGEN, did you try to swap your cables? It might even further improve the SQ.

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

All 300 REGEN units for August delivery are now sold out. (Those are #1641 thru #1914 and they will ship throughout August.)

Orders placed now, starting with #1915, will ship the first week of September.

In the morning and on Monday the last 60 (of 300) July REGENs go out, and that finally covers everyone who was promised for July (up to order #1640). Whew!

I am trying to get out in front of this wave, hopefully to the point where we can actually ship from stock the same week the orders are placed. To that end, September's build is for 500 units. That should finally get us caught up and with on-the-shelf stock. But who knows, maybe a magazine review will appear and another wave will come. Really crazy. ;)

Thanks,

Alex C.

Connector is best. The cable is only provided as a workaround. The length between Regen-out and DAC-in needs to be as short as possible. An adapter guarantees that.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi Melvin,

The USB Regen will not allow power to flow through Pins 1 & 4, so I'm wondering if a dual cable could be of any benefit. Without the Regen, yes, but with the Regen?

Hi audioexile .. I also have a Gemini cable and used it for quite some time with the iUSBPower with good results. In this case the dual connection wasn't appropriate for a REGEN to DAC connection and zilch0md also brings up a good point.

I had the same result about the iFi iUSB Power blue cable. I bought then the 0.7m SUPRA cable because of all the superlative comments, but the iFi is better. I my case I (have to) use it between the computer and the REGEN, did you try to swap your cables? It might even further improve the SQ.

Thanks Dyson .. good to know. I did in fact try each cable before and after the REGEN in every combination (took a while) and the iFi sounded best between the REGEN and my DAC.

Can the stock blue iFi cable that ships with the iUSBPOWER be purchased separately ?

And how long is it ?

cheap Chinese cable. You can get a Lindy 20cm one here:

Lindy USB / USB2.0 A to B Cable / Lead, Short, A-male to B-male, 0.2M (20cm) | eBay

=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

I wouldn't pin my sound quality hope on such offerings.

fmak

cheap Chinese cable. You can get a Lindy 20cm one here:

Lindy USB / USB2.0 A to B Cable / Lead, Short, A-male to B-male, 0.2M (20cm) | eBay

=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

I wouldn't pin my sound quality hope on such offerings.

I do not agree, it might be cheap, it might be chinese but like other iFi products they are carefully selected and work very well. I couldn't believe that a stock cable from an iFi product could be better than all those much higher priced cables discussed here, so I bought the SUPRA cables to test. As I said the iFi stock cables work significantly better in my setup.

The iFi iUSB Power blue stock cable is 56cm long (measured like the 70cm SUPRA cable).

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

I do not agree, it might be cheap, it might be chinese but like other iFi products they are carefully selected and work very well. I couldn't believe that a stock cable from an iFi product could be better than all those much higher priced cables discussed here, so I bought the SUPRA cables to test. As I said the iFi stock cables work significantly better in my setup.

The iFi iUSB Power blue stock cable is 56cm long (measured like the 70cm SUPRA cable).

To be clear, does the iFi blue USB cable just work better than any other short cable?

Or does the iFi also work better, in your system, than the supplied solid USB connector?

Or are you using a cable only because the solid USB connector does not fit in your space?

Music is love, made audible.

To be clear, does the iFi blue USB cable just work better than any other short cable?

Or does the iFi also work better, in your system, than the supplied solid USB connector?

Or are you using a cable only because the solid USB connector does not fit in your space?

It's an average give away cable; a little aggressive compared to better cables. Does have some clarity

but it's not a serious higher end audio component.

I am talking about the iFi Gemini, Wireworld Starlight Silver etc.

fmak

It's an average give away cable; a little aggressive compared to better cables. Does have some clarity

but it's not a serious higher end audio component.

I am talking about the iFi Gemini, Wireworld Starlight Silver etc.

Well that average give away cable sounded better to me than the $100 Black Cat Silverstar cable. Granted I'm just an average dude, but I heard what I heard regardless of your pronouncements. It's worth a try nonetheless if the blue one is laying around. Or not.