IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

7 minutes ago, mtcs said:

Does anyone happen to know the sustained and max power consumption (in watts) for the JS-2? Thanks.

By max do you mean short term? If yes what time frame are you interested in? By power consumption do you mean the power drawn through the AC line cable, or the amount of heat dissipated in the heat sinks? These can be quite different. The output voltage dramatically affects these numbers, so is there a specific voltage you are interested in?

John S.

18 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

By max do you mean short term? If yes what time frame are you interested in? By power consumption do you mean the power drawn through the AC line cable, or the amount of heat dissipated in the heat sinks? These can be quite different. The output voltage dramatically affects these numbers, so is there a specific voltage you are interested in?

John S.

I'm considering an AC power regenerator for my system and I need ti size it appropriately. So, I think I need the power through the AC cable. I currently output 12v on both rails, if that is what you mean. By max I do mean short term.

31 minutes ago, mtcs said:

Does anyone happen to know the sustained and max power consumption (in watts) for the JS-2? Thanks.

At idle, with nothing connected to either of its outputs, a JS-2 (powered by 120VAC) draws 14 watts.  

[That is because there is a "no-load" load circuit which keeps a small load on the supply to keep the raw DC voltage to the main board at about 21V--thus protecting the main filter caps from over voltage under no-load situation. Depending upon output voltage setting, that circuit stops being in play once the load on an output is about 0.8A.]

I have all the other wattage figures for under load, but as John indicated, it all depends upon output voltage setting and current draw. For example, driving a continuous load of 6.8A at 9V, the JS-2 draws 1.23A AC, and 159WAC. But at 12VDC (say at its max of 7.4A DC) it is more efficient.

By the way, JS-2 power factor is 0.93.  All other no-choke filtered linear power supplies will return a PF of about 0.48.  We are conducting over nearly 100% of the AC waveform and thus not kicking any line frequency harmonics back into the wall or distorting the mains waveform. :)

7 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I'm considering an AC power regenerator for my system and I need ti size it appropriately. So, I think I need the power through the AC cable. I currently output 12v on both rails, if that is what you mean. By max I do mean short term.

Well without knowing the current draw (either continuous or peak) of those 12V devices it is impossible to tell you the AC wattage. But if you budgeted 150W for the JS-2 you will have plenty of headroom.

Hope that helps.

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well without knowing the current draw (either continuous or peak) of those 12V devices it is impossible to tell you the AC wattage. But if you budgeted 150W for the JS-2 you will have plenty of headroom.

Hope that helps.

That's what I needed, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, krelldog said:

SuperDad....Your JS-2 is on my next upgrade list.

Well that's cool!  We just finished building another 13 units (today through Friday are test/burn-in days) and there are two from this batch not yet spoken for.  So if you want one just drop us a line.  Or wait until the next batch in November. We are building all the time (seems JS-2s are the only product we are not yet having trouble getting parts for...¬¬).

21 hours ago, krelldog said:

I would use it with my EtherRegen, but between my router and my NAS..

Which of these two would you recommend I use the JS-2 with ?

Well if using a JS-2 for the EtherREGEN (that's power to the 'A' side domain; 'B' side gets its power through isolating converter)--and assuming you are running standard A>B out across the moat--then the other output should be used for something on the upstream 'A' side in order to preserve the EtherREGEN's special active differential isolation.

Obviously both your router and NAS are upstream thus are candidates.  But what--if anything--is your music server on the 'A' side? Is it your NAS? Or might you have some other device even more worthy of a JS-2 output? 

So it is hard to make a recommendation without knowing your complete system. And even then I doubt I'd be able to say for sure for which device powering from a JS-2 would yield the greatest sonic benefit.  The fun is in the experimentation! :D

23 minutes ago, krelldog said:

Synology DS 720+

2 Bay

Sure, the JS-2 can handle the current requirement of a DS720+ (and EtherREGEN at the same time on second output rail). But you'll have to go to Ghent for a cable with the 4-pin connector for the NAS. This one: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc39.html   Be sure to specify with 5.5mm x 2.5mm at the power supply end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Hsheffer

Yes you can. 

From Uptone website:

Dual-output, choke-filtered linear power supply with four user-selectable DC output voltages.  
Two independently adjustable, separately regulated outputs; Voltage choices are user set from the back panel: 5V, 7V, 9V, or 12V.  
Guaranteed current capability is 5 amps continuous from either output at any voltage setting.  
(Up to 7.0 amps split between outputs, depending upon DC voltage combination; Instantaneous capability of up to 10A).
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So, there may be a new slogan for Uptone. Our products make your partner sing and dance. You native speaking english, may frame it better. And add some funny options. 

well, in the hyperbole of social media click-bate, perhaps something like:  Uptone:  Your partner - reimagined!  With appropriate images, of course.  

Agree that selling relationships, in addition to gear, is a growth field for UpTone.  But the customer support might be full of minefields.  It does make me think of Cartalk, when the hosts would jump on the opportunity to tell a wife/partner that, yes, indeed, the husband/partner was completely wrong about the car problem.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man