IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

This is just a very short summary of my early listening experience using the the Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply that Alex & John have come up.

I received my JS-2 Monday; the fit and finish are outstanding! I put my 2010 Mac Mini back in service as my music server since it was already setup to run off DC power (I have previously powered it off battery using my BatteryBuss from Dave Elledge/PI Audio Group).

Just let me say that the JS-2 is outstanding IMHO. Blacker background, better separation and the bass just kicks with more slam and articulation! I've only had a couple hours of listening experience with this setup, but not a single track has played that hasn't made me perk up a bit and really be amazed at the sound quality. I can't wait to get the internal pwr supply removed from my 2012 Mac Mini (which I run bootcamped with WS2012 and Audiophile Optimizer) so I can put it back in the system and power it from the JS-2!!

Outstanding job, well done Alex & John!!

Thanks!

Randy

Randy:

Thanks for posting your early impressions. It's great that you were able to temporarily convert your 2012 for DC while you wait for us to finish and ship our "Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit" (MMK). First PCBs for that will be here at the beginning of the week and everything else in on order.

Just to keep confusion down for others early in this thread, "SandyK" above is of course not the Alex you are referring to (that would be me and John Swenson), and the photo Aryoh is not the UpTone JS-2 dual-output, user-selectable voltages, choke-filtered, low-noise linear power supply. This is:

JS-2 sideways.jpg

JS2s, Cooking a 6pack.jpg

JS-2 packaging with cables.jpg

$925 as shown, plus shipping.

For those that say with the linear power supply sounds better, do you have the computer in a power conditioner and your DAC use the +5v from USB?

I have my digital front end, including the computer's power supply, plugged in to an Equitech balanced line conditioner, with the Equitech plugged in to a PI Audio UberBuss.

My dac does need to see the 5v from USB, but I have the USB feed going through an iFi iUSB device, with the USB cable from that to the DAC having separate pwr and data legs.

I have my digital front end, including the computer's power supply, plugged in to an Equitech balanced line conditioner, with the Equitech plugged in to a PI Audio UberBuss.

My dac does need to see the 5v from USB, but I have the USB feed going through an iFi iUSB device, with the USB cable from that to the DAC having separate pwr and data legs.

So, it seems that clean power reduced the computer jitter, and make it more accurate...

I'm no expert, far from it, but IMHO clean power equates to less noise.

After extensive listening last night with the 2012 Mac Mini in place, I am very very pleased with the sound. Even compared to my aural memory of the battery powered Mac Mini, I'm hearing more detail and articulation, but natural sounding, not bright, edgy or glaring at all. Separation is better as well. I have a SET amp, tubed pre and tubed DAC, yet the detail I'm hearing surpasses any of my prior setups, including my memory of prior SS equipment.

I asked that because usually avoiding SMPS is better to not contaminate other HiFi components, and also because Motherboards have a lot of things that generate noise and aren't filtered...

But if before you use the SMPS, isolated from other components, and didn't use the +5V of USB, and now it sounds even better, the LPS must be doing something good.... :)

• 6 months later...
Hi could someone post photos of the JS-2 power supply, from the front? Also, anyone know what the dimensions of the casing is?

Many thanks!

Hi Artifex:

The dimensions are: 9.0 inches wide x 9.1 inches deep x 3.3" tall (with feet).

Here are some recent pics:

UpTone JS-2.jpg

UpTone JS-2 rear.jpg

UpTone JS-2 bottom.jpg

UpTone JS-2 interior.jpg

UpTone JS-2 package and cables.jpg

And the separately available Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK)

UpTone MMK with tools.jpg

I'm no expert, far from it, but IMHO clean power equates to less noise.

After extensive listening last night with the 2012 Mac Mini in place, I am very very pleased with the sound. Even compared to my aural memory of the battery powered Mac Mini, I'm hearing more detail and articulation, but natural sounding, not bright, edgy or glaring at all. Separation is better as well. I have a SET amp, tubed pre and tubed DAC, yet the detail I'm hearing surpasses any of my prior setups, including my memory of prior SS equipment.

How is it performing now that you had it for a few months? I'm thinking of purchasing one for my dedicated silent music server.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

I just placed my order today for a JS-2 today. :)

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

I just placed my order today for a JS-2 today. :)

And it should arrive to you on Wednesday! Many thanks George!! I am confident you will enjoy it. Do let me know when you locate the proper plug for your Bel Canto 3.7 DAC's power jack so you can try powering both your CAPS and your DAC from the JS-2. That should sound fantastic.

Best,

ALEX

• 2 weeks later...
could this ps be used for the sb touch?

thanks,

drmike

Absolutely! And I just verified that the SB3 and SB Touch both use a 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel connector, and that is the exact size of the plugs on the custom cable we ship with the JS-2. (Though I also stock the 5.5mm x 2.1mm size of the Oyaide barrel plug for those that need it, and I occasionally will make a custom configured cable for a JS-2 owner.)

• 3 weeks later...
Looking forward to my JS-2 next month.

Excellent call! Congrats!