IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

Super obvious question – is there an MMK board in the works for the new M1 mac mini? It only draw 25 watts. (Poorly updated – been away from this forum quite a while now) 

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

1 hour ago, Freann said:

Super obvious question – is there an MMK board in the works for the new M1 mac mini? It only draw 25 watts. (Poorly updated – been away from this forum quite a while now) 

Not currently.  Could certainly design one, and since it seems the motherboard PS connector for the M1 might be the same as for the 2018 Mac mini (also not supported by our MMK), a new version might cover both (though I am not sure if the fan connections are the same for 2018/2020, so the Linear Fan Control aspect of the MMK for both is not certain).

I recently shared a bit more here:

Thanks @Superdad. From my PoV the M1 means a new trajectory for the Mac mini. A SonicTransporter i9 is a totally different proposition money-wise, but not probably not performance-wise. An Uptone´d M1 would be a smoother upgrade, coming from quad i7 mac mini at DSD128.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

• 2 months later...

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

12 hours ago, Mat said:

Already 2 working days still no response ?

Hi Rachmat:

Sorry for the slight delay. Please check your e-mail. I just now replied to your messages from Saturday night and yesterday.

Demand for JS-2s is higher than ever. We have always built about 25 units every 6 weeks--in batches of 12 or 13 at a time--and while they pre-sell very quickly it is usually only a 2-3 week wait for anyone.  But not in the past month. The batch being built now for shipment by April 7th sold out over a week ago, and the batch we will roll into for shipment by April 28th (likely sooner) is already 3/4ths sold out.  Trying hard to get up to building a steady 25 units every 4 weeks, but with weaving in 200+ EtherREGENs/month that is difficult.

As for e-mail response lag time:

UpTone receives on average (not counting quickly deleted SPAM) about 25 inquiries every day. Because we are a small company--with just myself in the office (at least until my new hire begins) and 2-3 staff in production/assembly and shipping--it falls to me to answer ALL e-mail. In fact most weeks I spend about 6 hours per day in e-mail, and that gets woven in with parts ordering, accounting, product development, service work/testing, and telephone calls. O.o

Since I personally reply to every e-mail (though I copy/paste from templates a lot), here is how I handle them... (

--Pre-sales questions (the long ones seeking advice) get answered most slowly. In fact, there are unanswered messages from as far back as late-January/early-February. Usually at the end of the week or on the weekend, I will sit down to tackle a few of those in a sitting.

--Post-sale questions seeking advise are, even if the message is long, pretty quick to handle. So those don't see too much delay.

--Post-sale support issues/problems with a product or repair requests receive highest priority (they get a purple flag and I try hard to end every day with no purple flags!).

--JS-2 order inquiries get handled within a few days. I am quicker about this once we have triangulated next available ship date so complete reservation information and instruction can be given.

--Stupidly, overseas dealer inquiries (other than from our few existing dealers) end up languishing unanswered for months. This is due to three factors: 1) We don't have proper discounts to offer, so most importers will turn away once they find that out; 2) We already have trouble keeping up with demand for our products, so until we can increase capacity adding more resellers will only result in mutual frustration; 3) I have not had time to put together a nice document explaining our terms/conditions/ordering process and how we positively support dealers. Once I do that, it will be a lot easier to reply to those inquiries in a way that paints a complete picture for the resellers to decide about doing business.

As you can see, I need help here in the office!  I'll still handle the bulk of all correspondence, but someone else can chase parts, do accounting and inventory--and maybe even some marketing/press/web stuff, though we have to be careful about creating more demand until we can produce more.  

None of the above even involves the cool new and radical products we have in the works! :D

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Rachmat:

Sorry for the slight delay. Please check your e-mail. I just now replied to your messages from Saturday night and yesterday.

Demand for JS-2s is higher than ever. We have always built about 25 units every 6 weeks--in batches of 12 or 13 at a time--and while they pre-sell very quickly it is usually only a 2-3 week wait for anyone.  But not in the past month. The batch being built now for shipment by April 7th sold out over a week ago, and the batch we will roll into for shipment by April 28th (likely sooner) is already 3/4ths sold out.  Trying hard to get up to building a steady 25 units every 4 weeks, but with weaving in 200+ EtherREGENs/month that is difficult.

As for e-mail response lag time:

UpTone receives on average (not counting quickly deleted SPAM) about 25 inquiries every day. Because we are a small company--with just myself in the office (at least until my new hire begins) and 2-3 staff in production/assembly and shipping--it falls to me to answer ALL e-mail. In fact most weeks I spend about 6 hours per day in e-mail, and that gets woven in with parts ordering, accounting, product development, service work/testing, and telephone calls. O.o

Since I personally reply to every e-mail (though I copy/paste from templates a lot), here is how I handle them... (

--Pre-sales questions (the long ones seeking advice) get answered most slowly. In fact, there are unanswered messages from as far back as late-January/early-February. Usually at the end of the week or on the weekend, I will sit down to tackle a few of those in a sitting.

--Post-sale questions seeking advise are, even if the message is long, pretty quick to handle. So those don't see too much delay.

--Post-sale support issues/problems with a product or repair requests receive highest priority (they get a purple flag and I try hard to end every day with no purple flags!).

--JS-2 order inquiries get handled within a few days. I am quicker about this once we have triangulated next available ship date so complete reservation information and instruction can be given.

--Stupidly, overseas dealer inquiries (other than from our few existing dealers) end up languishing unanswered for months. This is due to three factors: 1) We don't have proper discounts to offer, so most importers will turn away once they find that out; 2) We already have trouble keeping up with demand for our products, so until we can increase capacity adding more resellers will only result in mutual frustration; 3) I have not had time to put together a nice document explaining our terms/conditions/ordering process and how we positively support dealers. Once I do that, it will be a lot easier to reply to those inquiries in a way that paints a complete picture for the resellers to decide about doing business.

As you can see, I need help here in the office!  I'll still handle the bulk of all correspondence, but someone else can chase parts, do accounting and inventory--and maybe even some marketing/press/web stuff, though we have to be careful about creating more demand until we can produce more.  

None of the above even involves the cool new and radical products we have in the works! :D

Thanks Superdad.

sorry for putting it in this forum, I need the answer quickly for deciding which LPS I need to invest.😄

will reply to your email soon.

1) I just got my LPS 1-2 back from @Superdad from repair to power my ISOREGEN and since I now have the JS2, I decided I may as well power the LPS 1-2 with the unused 2nd rail. (Is this “wasteful use of my 2nd JS2 rail)? 
Because I have the EtherRegen in system and the first JS2 rail is powering my DAC, I have to keep the 2nd JS2 rail on the B side of the ER,  my other option would be to directly power the ISO Regen from JS2 2nd rail and use the LPS 1-2 elsewhere?

2) What is the best Voltage to use out of the JS2 to power LPS 1-2? I currently have it at 7V, but not sure what’s ideal? 

3) last, what’s the difference between powering the ISO Regen out of LPS1-2 with 7V vs 9v ??

2 minutes ago, agladstone said:

...I decided I may as well power the LPS 1-2 with the unused 2nd rail. (Is this “wasteful use of my 2nd JS2 rail)?

A little bit of a waste, but that’s okay! 9_9

Because I have the EtherRegen in system and the first JS2 rail is powering my DAC, I have to keep the 2nd JS2 rail on the B side of the ER,  my other option would be to directly power the ISO Regen from JS2 2nd rail and use the LPS 1-2 elsewhere?

Well you could use the LPS-1.2 to power the EtherREGEN (set to 12V please—for easiest load).

2) What is the best Voltage to use out of the JS2 to power LPS 1-2? I currently have it at 7V, but not sure what’s ideal?

It won’t matter for LPS1.2 performance (it’s just the charging side after all), but the JS-2 is most efficient at 12V (and has greatest current capability at that setting) so it will run cooler if you set to 12V if you choose to use the spare rail to charge an LPS-1.2.

3) last, what’s the difference between powering the ISO Regen out of LPS1-2 with 7V vs 9v ??

Excess heat!  Zero reason to power an ISO REGEN with 9V if you have 7V available.

Have a great weekend Allen—and all... :D

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Re-tread said:

Just a brief report on my Listening Impressions from my new JS-2.  Although I inserted a few ancillaries simultaneously (see details below), I will try to focus primarily on the JS-2.  Right out of the box, the JS-2 is really stunning. 

• Amazingly, right out of the gate, the JS-2 & eR combo invited in so much more information into the soundscape

Hi Ed:

Thank you for your write up and all your kind words.  So glad to know that you are enjoying your new UpTone toys.

21 hours ago, Re-tread said:

As of tonight, I have 723-hours on Rail 1, and 577-hours on Rail 2.

You are the first person we have ever encountered who has kept such an accurate timer on usage! 9_9

I'd say your pieces are now fully "seasoned....

All the best,

--Alex C.

Greetings Alex, I just happened to have a spreadsheet at my desk that tracks that info, based on calendar and insertion time.  Modern technology lends itself for such self indulgences w/o much effort.   I tend to track new items for the first 600-hours, so I know where it is (I am) in the break in process.  😎   Thanks again!

On 4/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, hpfish said:

I have the Matrix x Spdif powered by LPS1.2 and the EtherRegen powered by the supplied stock ps.    If I buy the JS2 can it power both Matrix and ER?  Would  SQ be better going with JS2 or just buy another LPS1.2?  

Our JS-2 can easily power both your Matrix X-SPDIF 2 and the EtherREGEN simultaneously. However, if you are connecting the EtherREGEN in the conventional way--with network and server, etc. on 'A' side and your streamer/renderer endpoint (whatever is feeding USB to your Matrix in your case)--doing so would defeat the special isolation of the EtherREGEN.

Allow me to explain:
The JS-2’s DC outputs are “floated” (though the chassis and shield of the transformer are grounded to AC mains for safety). 
Yet the two -VE/0-volt “grounds” of the JS-2’s independently regulated outputs are common to each other (because we have only one transformer secondary, one set of Schottky diodes, one large filter choke). 

Power to the EtherREGEN is directly to its ‘A’ side (the ‘B’ side gets power through an isolating regulator). So using the shared -VE (“ground”) JS-2 to power both the the EtherREGEN and anything downstream of it will somewhat defeat the EtherREGEN’s isolation. Though you could mitigate that by turning the EtherREGEN around and running it in the B>A direction (that is, network feed into the 'B' port, DAC/DDC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint alone from one of the 'A' side ports).

[We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu, Lumin X1), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints or as above, to be able to utilize a shared 0-volt/-VE "ground" multi-rail supply such as JS-2.]

Or you could just buy another UltraCap LPS-1.2. 9_9

4 hours ago, Mat said:

How long to break in UpTone JS2 ?

Mine sounded good after a few hours, better after a few days and fully matured in a month.  In my setup, the LPS 1.2 had a similar break-in.  Both are powered on at all times.  The JS2 runs cool and the LPS 1.2 hot.  I don't stack anything on either (well, the LPS 1.2 is on its side so it would be nearly impossible to put anything on it).   

I just added them to my setup and enjoyed the music.  That was my break-in process.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man