IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

7 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

So just the standard dc cable out of JS-2 to a 5.5mm x 2.1mm input of RME ADI-2?

Did you have a custom cable made or use an adapter?

The JS-2 dc cable is 5.5 x 2.5mm on both ends.

While the JS-2's DC output jacks are a heavy-duty version of 5.5mm x 2.5mm, the buyer has a choice of the size of device end Oyaide plug. 5.5mm x 2.5mm or 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

One of our 1.5 meter long Oyaide/Belden shielded, heavy gauge (4*#18) cables comes with the JS-2 at $925, a second cable can be purchased for $75.  Always with choice of above two standard plug hole sizes.

By the way, a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug will fit a 2.1mm jack, it just won't be as snug. But of course a 2.1mm plug will not fit a 2.5mm jack--because that measurement is the nominal size of the center pin, which of course won't go into the smaller plug hole.

And for the Oyaide plugs we use (original long version which I special order 1,000 of every year or two), the red tip-ring indicates 2.5mm, while the black tip-ring indicates 2.1mm.

Hope that helps,

--Alex C.

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

And for the Oyaide plugs we use (original long version which I special order 1,000 of every year or two), the red tip-ring indicates 2.5mm, while the black tip-ring indicates 2.1mm.

Righto, so that’s the mapping key! Can now avoid randomly plugging in-out til one fits ... well, conditional on remembering this above.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hey. I'm not sure this is the right thread to write in, but couldn't find a technical JS-2 thread ; 0) The JS-2 is beautiful and would fit in my other aluminum cabinets, so I should have ordered one with my EtherRegen ...

Well, to the question:

If the JS-2 can deliver up to 7.2A at 12v, will the used choke 159ZJ not be “stressed” as its specs. is 10mh 5A? 

It wouldn´t have been better to use the 159ZL 2,5mh 10A?

4 hours ago, basillus said:

If the JS-2 can deliver up to 7.2A at 12v, will the used choke 159ZJ not be “stressed” as its specs. is 10mh 5A? 

Actually, I regularly bench the JS-2 at 7.4~7.6A at 12V (with full 120/240V input; lower AC input voltages result in lower max current due to load-droop on our big R-core trans). Once pushed it to 8A but it blows the 1A AC input fuse at that point!

The value of the 10mH choke is a key part of the balancing of the JS-2's pre-regulating circuit, so no a 2.5mH unit would not be preferred. The choke is rated to 500VDC so even though we push past its 5A rating the unit is not stressed. We have over 800 JS-2 units in the field and have never had a single choke failure (and only a couple of regulator failures ever), so truly nothing to worry about.

Our only worry these days is managing to build enough JS-2s to keep up with demand. They are labor intensive (compared to our high-volume other products), so 25 per month is all we can manage to mix into our overall operation. B|

5 hours ago, basillus said:

Hey. I'm not sure this is the right thread to write in, but couldn't find a technical JS-2 thread ; 0) The JS-2 is beautiful and would fit in my other aluminum cabinets, so I should have ordered one with my EtherRegen ...

Well, to the question:

On the inductor there are two two things that can be "stressed", one is core saturation and the other is temperature. For the core saturation what actually matters is the voltage ACROSS the inductor, NOT the voltage or current at the output of the supply. Those current specs are not the actual limit, but are based on a particular circuit design popular with tube amplifiers many decades ago with a particular high voltage. If you built such a design with the particular voltage and current, you would reach the limiting voltage across the inductor. These specs were designed to make it easy for a DIY type to know if a particular inductor would work based on the output specs of the supply. Trying to calculate the actual voltage drop across the inductor is not a trivial task, so the manufacturer chose this method to make it easier for non experts to choose the proper part. Those voltage and current limits are not actual limits like we are used to seeing. You can safely go to higher voltages if you use lower currents, or higher currents if you use lower voltages.

With the circuit we are using and the voltages and currents involved we are very far away from the actual limiting voltage of the inductor.

The other "stress" mode is temperature, given where we are in the magnetic range we have very low core losses, so most heat comes from just plain IR losses in the wire. These wires are thick enough so the resistance of the wire is low enough that again we are not putting anywhere near enough current through this to get it hot.

So don't worry about the inductor in the design not being appropriate. Everything in this design is well within operating range. A lot of time was spent getting everything as good as we could get it.

John S.

Thank you very much for the great answers to John and Alex ;0)

The main reason I asked was because I fell over this old thread

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/4/43048.html

where John just mentions the symptoms when zj159 gets "stressed" and then I thought that the 7.2A sounded of a lot ;0) 

But it was written over 10 years ago and a lot has happened since and you have gained more experience and knowledge about many things that have helped you develop a JS-2 from then to now. 

I've never seen a psu with 3 rectifier diodes and have no idea how this rectifier works ;0)

8 hours ago, basillus said:

Thank you very much for the great answers to John and Alex ;0)

The main reason I asked was because I fell over this old thread

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/4/43048.html

where John just mentions the symptoms when zj159 gets "stressed" and then I thought that the 7.2A sounded of a lot ;0) 

But it was written over 10 years ago and a lot has happened since and you have gained more experience and knowledge about many things that have helped you develop a JS-2 from then to now. 

I've never seen a psu with 3 rectifier diodes and have no idea how this rectifier works ;0)

There really are four diodes in a standard configuration, its just that two of them are in the same package, so one half of the bridge is in one package, but they don't make a package with two diodes hooked up the other way to use for the other side of the bridge, so that side has to use two single diodes.

John S.

While it might seem a bit much to use such a fine LPS to power an UpTone eR, that is just what I'm doing and am pleased with the result.  I posted comments here:  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

It is interesting that your build process is the inverse for ordering a JS-2 vs the eR.  With the JS-2, I sent a query and you provided the likely ship date.  For the eR, I went on a very strict diet and exercise routine to prepare for the wild release date (actually three minutes!), but the finger pushups and wind sprints have improved my health and I'm grateful for that 😎

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

9 hours ago, JSWBach said:

I am now using a JS-2 for both MMK and  Brookln DAC+.

I have a plan to replace Brookln DAC+ with Manhattan II.

Is it possible to use a JS-2 for both MMK and Mytek Manhattan II?

if you look at the back of the manhattan, you'll see there isn't a dc input, so it appears not.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

Even with a fairly “simple” set up like mine, it is still difficult to distinguish what component is doing what in the combined musical presentation.

Beautiful system, setup and view!  Are those stone weights on the back your speakers?  Completely agree with you about the JS-2.  If it works in your system as it did in mine, it will continue to get better over a few weeks.  The best is yet to come.  

34 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

It's just me in the chair and the musicians in front of me. With a simple phrase: Presence! The music has come closer into my living room. Dynamic performance, distributed in a huge and deep soundstage, but with proper isolation and distance between instruments. No coloration, but some sonic modulation is going on. Even with a fairly “simple” set up like mine, it is still difficult to distinguish what component is doing what in the combined musical presentation.
I now have all the excellent UpTone Audio devices in my system: MMK (Mac Mini DC-Conversion Kit), ISO-REGEN w UltraCap LPS-1.2, EtherREGEN and now the legendary JS-2 LPS.

Hi Tom:

Thank you so much for posting your experience with our carefully conceived components. The photos of your system are also appreciated--I especially like the stone turtles used as weights.

But most jaw-dropping of all is the outdoor view from the windows of your listening room! If intercontinental travel is ever again practical, can I come visit you in your beautiful country? :D

All the best,

--Alex C.

15 hours ago, PYP said:

Beautiful system, setup and view!  Are those stone weights on the back your speakers?  Completely agree with you about the JS-2.  If it works in your system as it did in mine, it will continue to get better over a few weeks.  The best is yet to come.  

That's interesting! The day JS-2 arrived my system sounded fantastic, even the fact JS-2 was "cold". OK, there might be some subjective expectations at play, but the next day my system sounded not that great (a little edgy and an overwhelming amount of detail in the upper frequencies). I havn't turned off the LPS since it arrived and am curious of what I can expect after some weeks.
You mentioned enhanced performance (of female voices) in an earlier post, after feeding EtherREGEN from JS-2. I was expecting something likewise from my system with JS-2, but Alex C has advised me not to feed ER with the second JS-2 DC-output, when using Mac Mini and MMK installation (defeating galvanic isolation)...
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

6 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

That's interesting! The day JS-2 arrived my system sounded fantastic, even the fact JS-2 was "cold". OK, there might be some subjective expectations at play, but the next day my system sounded not that great (a little edgy and an overwhelming amount of detail in the upper frequencies). I havn't turned off the LPS since it arrived and am curious of what I can expect after some weeks.
You mentioned enhanced performance (of female voices) in an earlier post, after feeding EtherREGEN from JS-2. I was expecting something likewise from my system with JS-2, but Alex C has advised me not to feed ER with the second JS-2 DC-output, when using Mac Mini and MMK installation (defeating galvanic isolation)...
Tom

I experienced the same upper frequency problem during burn-in (or whatever happens over time).  It did vary day-to-day, but eventually sounded as good or better than my impression during the first day (which sounded great).  Takes a bit of patience, which usually isn't an audiophile trait and there were some days when I actively encouraged the JS-2 to complete its burn-in process and just settle in with the rest of the gear.   That seemed to work.  It is like talking to plants.  :)  

Alex is the expert.  I'm just a music lover. 

Stay warm!  Averaging 32 degrees celsius in May where I live.  

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Tom:

Thank you so much for posting your experience with our carefully conceived components. The photos of your system are also appreciated--I especially like the stone turtles used as weights.

But most jaw-dropping of all is the outdoor view from the windows of your listening room! If intercontinental travel is ever again practical, can I come visit you in your beautiful country? :D

All the best,

--Alex C.

I have a spare room for You. Hope to see You in Bergen, Norway - soon 🙂
Wow - JS-2 delivers all what is promised...
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent