IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi André:

I truly doubt that either of your iFi Pro units actually draw a continuous 5A at 12V.  That would be a LOT!  

That said, it is still not a give that the JS-2 will power both simultaneously. While we have lots of people posing both a DAC (Brooklyn, etc.) and a small computer with a single JS-2, or even a DAC and ADC, I suspect your Pro iCAN is fairly current hungry.

But it won't hurt at all to try.  Just watch the red LEDs on the back of the JS-2.  Some flickering is fine and normal, but steady on means that you are exceeding current limit and the JS-2 will fall out of regulation and the output voltage will drop.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex, Really appreciate your fast and clear answer.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi André:

I truly doubt that either of your iFi Pro units actually draw a continuous 5A at 12V.  That would be a LOT!  

That said, it is still not a give that the JS-2 will power both simultaneously. While we have lots of people posing both a DAC (Brooklyn, etc.) and a small computer with a single JS-2, or even a DAC and ADC, I suspect your Pro iCAN is fairly current hungry.

But it won't hurt at all to try.  Just watch the red LEDs on the back of the JS-2.  Some flickering is fine and normal, but steady on means that you are exceeding current limit and the JS-2 will fall out of regulation and the output voltage will drop.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex,

I did some research in the iFi tech notes about the power requirements of the iFI PRO range. Should have done my homework before... In this document we see that the Pro iDSD features an DC loop connector, and guess what, it can be use to power the Pro iDSD and the Pro iCAN from the same 15V/4A PS. A third PRO family member (PRO iESL) can even be thrown in the mix:

DC-LOOP-OUT AND POWER SUPPLY CONNECTION

The two small connections just above the external clocking dial of Pro iDSD will be familiar to iESL and Pro iDAC owners. The one on the left is a DC-Loop Out and its purpose is to feed another Pro range device from the Pro iDSD.

This means that one external PSU can handle both Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN. You can even throw Pro iESL to the mix (connected via the HDMI interface found on the latter) and have three iFi Pro range decks operational via only one external PSU.

The input to the right of DC-Loop Out is a regular 15V/4A DC power input.

•Tip: Any 9v to 18v DC power source with a minimum of 60VA rating can be used with the Pro iDSD (including vehicular, RV and boat -based 12V DC power). We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply

So it appears that you were right when you said :

I seems highly probable that the JS-2 can feed both units at the same time, even on one rail set at 12V.

I will keep you informed when I receive my Pro iCAN

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alex.  

I am new owner of IFI PRO IDSD.

I believe that they changed the power supply  to IPOWER Plus 15V . Am i correct?

I read in IFI PRO IDSD manual: “We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply”. 

Will I hear significant improvement if I purchase and connect Js-2?

I'm setting up two small 5V DACs in my system with only one set of RCA outputs from each. One to my integrated amp for speaker listening and the other to a headphone amp. Both being fed by the Allo Digione Signature.

I assume it's fine to power both DACs from the (2) JS-2 outlets without creating any sort of problems associated with isolation or loops?

34 minutes ago, wanta911 said:

I assume it's fine to power both DACs from the (2) JS-2 outlets without creating any sort of problems associated with isolation or loops?

Maybe not 100% the answer you’re looking for. 

Here maybe better. 

On 7/26/2020 at 5:01 PM, André Gosselin said:

Hi,

I own an iFi Pro iDSD, which I power with a JS-2. Compared to the stock 15v smps provided by iFi, I much prefer the JS-2. I find the sound more "posed" and in focus. Highly recommended.

Regards,

André

Thanks Andre,

I am going to purchase it.

One more question - 

I also plan to purchase Sotm TX-USBultra and connect it to my system.

Can this JS-2 feed both devices? Does it have sufficient  current for both?

2 hours ago, Haimsh said:

I also plan to purchase Sotm TX-USBultra and connect it to my system.

Can this JS-2 feed both devices? Does it have sufficient  current for both?

The JS-12 will simultaneously power both your iFi Pro iDSD and the SOtM USB conditioner with ease. In fact, I doubt that it will even get warm doing so. :)

By the way, while the batch we are finishing now—for shipment on August 6th—is sold out, we are currently accepting reservations for another batch of 12 or 13 to ship August 19th. Overseas shipment is via fast door-to-door FedEx.

• 2 weeks later...

If there are M12 Switch Gold users who would like to power it with their JS-2, we now have stock of custom-made DC cables to do so.  

Made with Neotech 7N wire, JSSG shielding, Phoenix Contact M12 at one end and Oyaide 5.5mm x 2.5mm at the other. 1.5 meters long. $250 plus shipping. Sorry, we are offering this only to current or new JS-2 owners. Inquire only via the Contact Us form on our web site.

Thanks,
--Alex C.
509469036_UpToneM12DCcable.jpg.c4600b29ae17ab0ab8ada078a6d77559.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 4:38 PM, Superdad said:

The JS-12 will simultaneously power both your iFi Pro iDSD and the SOtM USB conditioner with ease. In fact, I doubt that it will even get warm doing so. :)

By the way, while the batch we are finishing now—for shipment on August 6th—is sold out, we are currently accepting reservations for another batch of 12 or 13 to ship August 19th. Overseas shipment is via fast door-to-door FedEx.

Hi Alex

I just ordered a Ether Regen a couple of hours ago and was thinking about the JS-2 as well. How do I contact you regarding one for a shipping quote?

stedes

Headphone System:

Source: Aurender N100H

DAC/Amp: Mytek Brooklyn / Marantz HD-DAC-1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2 2016 rev

9 minutes ago, stedes said:

Hi Alex

I just ordered a Ether Regen a couple of hours ago and was thinking about the JS-2 as well. How do I contact you regarding one for a shipping quote?

The fastest way to contact Alex was for me always thru Uptone Audio contact page https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/contact-us

On that contact page it is also phone number if you are hurry or preferred by person.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

37 minutes ago, roman410 said:

The fastest way to contact Alex was for me always thru Uptone Audio contact page https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/contact-us

On that contact page it is also phone number if you are hurry or preferred by person.

Thanks for that. I just sent a request. 

stedes

Headphone System:

Source: Aurender N100H

DAC/Amp: Mytek Brooklyn / Marantz HD-DAC-1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2 2016 rev

44 minutes ago, stedes said:

Thanks for that. I just sent a request. 

Hi:

Full reply to you e-mail just now sent.  The 13 JS-2s we just finished building are going through test/burn-in this week--for shipment next week. But these are all sold as usual. We are now accepting reservations for the early-September batch.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, k27R said:

For those that have upgraded to SR orange fuses,  what is the proper orientation  in the fuse holder?

/& can the noted sonic improvements be described please.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 months later...

I am a JS-2 and EtherRegen owner.  I use a cheap optical Ethernet converter upstream from the ER.  I power both with the JS-2.  Does powering both units with the JS-2 defeat some of the isolation of the ER moat, given the floating ground and non-galvanically isolated outputs of the JS-2?  Would there be any potential improvement using a separate LPS on the optical Ethernet converter?  Thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

I am a JS-2 and EtherRegen owner.  I use a cheap optical Ethernet converter upstream from the ER.  I power both with the JS-2.  Does powering both units with the JS-2 defeat some of the isolation of the ER moat, given the floating ground and non-galvanically isolated outputs of the JS-2?  Would there be any potential improvement using a separate LPS on the optical Ethernet converter?  Thanks in advance.

Hello there!

Your are mostly fine and here is why:

Power to the EtherREGEN is directly to its ‘A’ side (the ‘B’ side gets power through an isolating regulator). The SFP cage and circuitry it is connected to is also on the 'A' side--along with the four Gigabit-capable RJ45 copper wire ports.

So using the shared -VE (“ground”) JS-2 to power both the the EtherREGEN and the upstream copper to fiber converter will not defeat the EtherREGEN’s A>B active differential isolation moat.

However, it does defeat the galvanic isolation of the fiber optic connection between your FMC (fiber media converter) and the EtherREGEN.  But that probably is not something you will hear.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

We do not have any plans for that as it actually would require a fairly extensive redesign. I know it would seem a simple change, but for our circuit and chassis size it is not. 

Those are correct statements. :)

I am powering a 19v sonic transporter i7 with a 12v JS2 which @Superdad indicated was ok since amperage was ok. It has been working fine with no issues since I put in system 

5 hours ago, fuzzypoodle said:

Hi, I am happily using "half" of the JS2 to power a Chord TT2.  I am getting an M-Scaler this week and was wondering if powering via JS2 as well would be too much ?  Also read somewhere that JS2 can be upgraded to 15V as required by the m-scaler ?  TIA Andrew

Hi Andrew: 

Your JS-2 will easily power both your Chord TT2 and your MScaler.  And 15V is not required. Rob Watts even says so and we have many JS-2 owners powering MScaler from 12V.  Remember, there is not a single chip inside your gear that uses even 12V directly.  It all gets converted down. :)

14 hours ago, fuzzypoodle said:

Hi, I am happily using "half" of the JS2 to power a Chord TT2.  I am getting an M-Scaler this week and was wondering if powering via JS2 as well would be too much ?  Also read somewhere that JS2 can be upgraded to 15V as required by the m-scaler ?  TIA Andrew

I think if you power M-Scaler and TT2 with the same power supply (e.g. JS2), you would lose the galvanic isolation between M-Scaler and TT2. Obviously you could power them with two JS2 to preserve the galvanic isolation

2 hours ago, ecwl said:

I think if you power M-Scaler and TT2 with the same power supply (e.g. JS2), you would lose the galvanic isolation between M-Scaler and TT2.

M-Scaler is directly connected to TT2 via coaxial S/PDIF cables, right?  So the two are already share their -VE/0-volt “ground” domains.  So using a single JS-2 to power both does not defeat any isolation—because none existed in the first place. :)