IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

2 hours ago, wklie said:

I assume it is iPad 7th gen.  Which iOS version is this?

It is the latest version of iOS, Peter. I have just discovered the issue. I had larger text chosen in Display and Accessibility Settings, as my ageing eyesight isn’t too good nowadays. So I have had to turn off this helpful Accessibility feature until hopefully a future version of the Lumin Software addresses this Lumin app anomaly. Do you think this could happen?

23 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

Why is the ‘Search’ function partially hidden behind icons on my 2019 iPad? Is this something that can be corrected or changed, please?

We've reproduced this issue with iOS Accessibility Large Text setting.  We're looking into it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Oh dear, Lumin App 7.1.3.  what is it now. Server is offline after the Lumin app is stopped playing music for about 5mins. Why. Minimserver is not offline, Minimwatch icon is green 100%, I can see and hear the alerts if Minimserver restarts. Restart the app on iPad and the server is online again.

This morning, the Lumin app took 20 minutes to add in 6 albums. It's just as fast to kill the whole app and reload the entire music library.

Wireless to the iPad is from an Apple express 1st Generation N Band. The AE comes from a wired Apple router which more or less equals the AE junk in terms of speed. Heading off shortly to replace the Apple $hit with real routers and access points. That slow speed is fine for finding, selecting what to play, no problem, but adding in new.... maria. Connecting to a previous Mesh network, wasn't that stellar either.

Minimserver takes less than 20s to rescan, from new on 8,000 albums takes about 20 minutes or less, it's faster then Jriver's for sure, with less of an imprint on files sizes.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

Wireless to the iPad is from an Apple express 1st Generation N Band

Which is the network speed you can reach with your AE? You can check it using Utility Airport app on your iPad.

I have both 1st and 2nd gen. AE and just tried

this is the AE 1st gen (no 5GHz available) speed I can reach with my iPad FB29BCD6-E066-4E96-B19F-49B791CC43D4.jpeg.c8a5cea868ba6f6041b17ce3e89f9106.jpeg

and this is the 2nd gen. (5GHz available) speed with the same iPad 

31CBD4FB-A2C2-4C82-8F67-535631F85640.jpeg.1bb067b4f719c42779a42c3d99c40f4c.jpeg

this AE 1st gen lower speed could be the cause of your troubles …

Stefano

My audio system

Well this morning I was listening to 5 or 6 favs via Qobuz and the last Fav ' Larry Coryell - Bolero.  Went through the song list and when it was over, I deleted the LP (Bolero) from the my Fav list via the app.   I then decided to pick another album , selecting the fav like I always have done, when I selected the LP, the Lumin app crashed. Tried this 4 times same outcome.  I'm on the latest Lumin app and firmware ver.   To correct this even after a reboot of the lumin and my Ipad I had to logout of Qobuz and log back in.

The Truth Is Out There

12 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Which is the network speed you can reach with your AE? You can check it using Utility Airport app on your iPad.

I have both 1st and 2nd gen. AE and just tried

this is the AE 1st gen (no 5GHz available) speed I can reach with my iPad 

and this is the 2nd gen. (5GHz available) speed with the same iPad 

this AE 1st gen lower speed could be the cause of your troubles …

Thanks @stefano_mbp for the data on the AE.  144Mb/s (18MB/s) is not a speed demon is it?  For control it's fine, but uploading data is not the best. The system is a little complex, but if imagine, two routers, one main, the other Apple to a JCAT Net Femto in Bridge mode to Lumin.

Router A -> Apple Router -> PC with JCAT NET Femto card --> DX Filters--> EtherRegen -> Lumin (172.17.21.0)

Router A -> Apple Router -> AE -> Ipad with Lumin App (172.17.21.0)

Router A -> PC Server with Mininmserver, File storage and heaps of other gear  (172.17.20.0)

The Apple router works in reverse NAT (or no NAT) so the Lumin App picks up the minim server on the regular network.

The AE comes off a separate LAN cable from the Apple router, just used as an Access Point to boost the wifi from the Apple Router.. I had a lot of trouble in configuring the network bridge for the JCAT, that is working. But the speed to update. There could be two problems, with the AE 1st Gen, and the Apple router. Maybe the DNS is all wrong, and is taking longer for the updates on Lumin app to occur.

After this problem, the Apple Router and AE were replaced with TP Link AX23 wireless router. The NAT reversal didn't work that well, mainly I forgot probably to restart the router to stop the NAT, anyway the Lumin was found but the PC with Minimserver was missing.

Eventually had enough in spending too much time on this issue, and removed the AX23, and wired the JCAT direct to the regular network switch.

Uploaded three more albums this morning, Redbook 1.5GB, the update time on the iPad took 5 minutes. significant improvement. In hindsight, there's an extra router that creates noise, so separating the audio Ethernet from the main network is not such a good idea., so what is worse, extra traffic from switch or the router? The router is close by the PC with the JCAT card, so could run a cable for this one easy enough, so it's as direct as I can work it, or another EtherRegen.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

ook a fraction under 5 minutes for the Lumin app to index the new data

As you have experienced, the more the LAN is simple minor are the problems you can meet.
LAN traffic is not normally a problem, unless we are talking about a complex data center.
Rather than using Bridged routers, if you really want, I would use some managed switches and define VLANs, but this makes more sense to manage security and not traffic, in a home LAN.

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, wklie said:

I think he liked it!  Well done!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Peter,

I am having issue with Lumin App.   I am on Version 7.1.3 and Firmware 14.4.   I am using a Mac M1 for the App.  In trying to use this morning, I received an alert that server is offline with message asking to continue or not.  I elected Yes.   The App opened and populated with music, and I was able to pick a selection to play whole album.  Setup is available in the menu and Music Library is shown in LUMIN X1 Options reflecting MinimServer (antipodes) as usual.

However, music does not play.  If I select play arrow at top of app, the playlist just jumps to next selection on playlist and continues to do so till end of the album playlist.   The app is reflecting (Offline) Album:  1590 with a spinning icon symbol above the menu for songs, albums, artist, etc. and if I change from album to one of these other options, including Qobuz, it still reflects Offline and spinning symbol.   I have tried closing the app and reopening several times, restarting my computer, removing and reinstalling the app without success.   The X1 screen reflects the music selection artist and first song and numbers it and will jump through the names of songs and song number when I select play arrow on app, but no music..   The progress circle shows no progress on the X1.

How do you suggest I resolve?

4 minutes ago, further said:

I am using a Mac M1 for the App

... there's a Lumin.app version for mac OS? 😳

why no one ever told me? 😡

😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Peter, I also just tried switching to Roon, and X1 does not show as an audio zone option, even with restarting Roon Server and Player on my Antipodes dashboards.   Other options are shown, and am playing music through another DAC via Roon now, but X1 not shown as available.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

For M1 based systems you can use most iOS apps 

... which doesn't mean they'll work as expected 😉

(as it seems from the post I was replying to)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

... which doesn't mean they'll work as expected 😉

(as it seems from the post I was replying to)

I have been using the Lumin App with the M1 for some time without issues.  I did recently update the Firmware when alerted on my system for the X1, but do not recall if this is the first time I have tried playing the X1 since that.   I also recently updated the App as well.

let's wait for Peter to share some light on this (and tell us if they have tested Lumin. app on mac OS too) 😉

can't wait to install it on my M1 Pro MBP 🙂

headphones system:

7 hours ago, pl_svn said:

let's wait for Peter to share some light on this (and tell us if they have tested Lumin. app on mac OS too) 😉

can't wait to install it on my M1 Pro MBP 🙂

We tested Lumin app on Apple M1 since January 2021.  Please try it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead