IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Not sure about the USBx being "identical" but I wouldn't think that a USB port would drop only one channel of audio but I could be wrong.  Could the DAC be dropping a channel?   I'd check any and all analog connections from the output of your DAC to the input of your amplification chain as well.  Disconnect and reconnect a couple of times or even use contact enhancer if you've got some.  Confirm that this has only happened when using the U1 and no other sources have ever been involved.

Intermittent problems are the worst!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 hour ago, roadCingKlassik said:

, I was wondering if the output from the U1 Mini USB 1 & USB 2 are identical?

I can't hear any differences. I'm not sure exactly how you compared. If you use both USB's at the same time it will not work, unfortunately. I have two dacs and when I switch I connect USB2 but I also have to take out USB1. However, if I use SPDIF's outlets I can connect the AES to one dac and RCA Coax or Toslink to the other but not USB plus SPDIF at the same time. It is a pity. The only drawback with SPDIF in my set up is that it does not accept dsd. That is why I use USB.

44 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Thanks for the input!

Not sure about the USBx being "identical" but I wouldn't think that a USB port would drop only one channel of audio but I could be wrong. To be clear, both channels work, but the Volume on the right channel is greatly diminished

Confirm that this has only happened when using the U1 and no other sources have ever been involved. The Mini is my main source 99%. I rarely spin discs in my Oppo-205

Intermittent problems are the worst! Yes!

24 minutes ago, Ropet said:

I can't hear any differences. I'm not sure exactly how you compared. If you use both USB's at the same time it will not work, unfortunately. I have two dacs and when I switch I connect USB2 but I also have to take out USB1. However, if I use SPDIF's outlets I can connect the AES to one dac and RCA Coax or Toslink to the other but not USB plus SPDIF at the same time. It is a pity. The only drawback with SPDIF in my set up is that it does not accept dsd. That is why I use USB.

I'll shut down DAC 1 and play thru USB DAC 2 when the problem resurfaces

22 minutes ago, roadCingKlassik said:

1 hour ago, BlueSkyy said:

I'd check any and all analog connections from the output of your DAC to the input of your amplification chain as well.  

Intermittent problems are the worst!

Only one XLR output from DAC to Preamp . . . and the cables have been replaced. I thought I had solved the problem when cable was changed out. Nope!

3 hours ago, roadCingKlassik said:

The issue is very low vol from the right speaker that might last 1 song, 2-3 songs, sometimes 5-6 songs. This happened today, last time was 3 months ago. 

I guarantee that this cannot possibly be caused by the U1 MINI.  It must be somewhere down the chain: DAC, cable, amp, bad contact, etc.  When this occurs, immediately power cycle the amp.  If problem persists, power cycle the DAC and play it again.

The reason is that if hypothetically Lumin outputs the signal at a low digital volume due to firmware issue or user misconfiguration, it'd affect both channels.  There is no way to have it affect the right speaker only.

Make sure you have Re-sampling disabled in Lumin app.

Note that switching to a different DAC won't cure the problem if the fault is in the amp or preamp.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

USB #1 and USB #2 are identical, but only one of them can be used for USB DAC output.

If you connect two USB DAC to the two USB ports (this is unsupported) concurrently, we don't know which USB DAC will actually get the USB music signal.

It's best to check the (pre)amp first.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

If you connect two USB DAC to the two USB ports (this is unsupported)  concurrently, we don't know which USB DAC will actually get the USB music signal)

Nice engineering feat. I'm totally impressed

Then why offer 2 usb ports??? ??????

You offer 2 ports, yet unsupported???

Peter, You have been very straight forward in all of your previous correspondence. However, this is NOT ACCEPTABLE

all kidding aside, I'll let you know how the MINI is wired! 

WTF

my initial Q was answered. For that, ty . . . 

18 hours ago, wklie said:

If you use Lumin U1 MINI it'll be DSD256, or DSD512 for T2 or U1.

There is no commercial music recorded in DSD1024 or DSD512 to my knowledge outside of testing purpose, excluding upsampled / remodulated music from lower rate DSD recordings.

The value of very high DSD rate primarily comes from upsampling, for that you need a PC anyway.

Sounds good to me.  Native DSD256 was about as high as I could find aside from, as you mentioned, those offerings generated for testing purposes.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 hours ago, barbz said:

Would anyone have any first hand experience using a DDC like the di20, Hermes, etc with the lumin u1 mini?

Just looking for confirmation as to whether there is a new rabbit hole worth exploring or that bits tapped out.

I believe this rabbit hole depends on the specific DDC / DAC combination more than the source, especially if the DAC is found to sound better from I2S which Lumin does not offer.

Check compatibility with your DAC for DSD before you purchase a DDC.

I know there are Lumin users with a DDC in their playback chains.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello,

I was told that there is a chance to reach developers from the lumin app here? E.g. @wklie? After reporting one bug to the lumin support I have never heard something from them, so I want to try this way...

I am using the lumin app on an iPad2018 with the latest iOS version with a lumin U1 mini streamer. There are some issues with the app that make the usage less comfortable:

* touching multiple tracks quickly to add them to the playlist adds them in reverse order (in one touch mode). This happens with qobuz tracks as well as with tracks from my NAS served with minimserver.
* loading the qobuz favorite list (with many albums) is flickering multiple times until it is loaded and usable
* sometimes some cover arts are not loaded in the library (qobuz playlists or NAS UPNP folders). You have to scroll the entries out of view and back again to make the cover art visible.
* sometimes (I guess when the app did loose the connection to the streamer and reconnects it) the navigation is resetted and jumps back to the start screen e.g. of qobuz.

* sometimes the app is crashing (I currently do not know when it happens)

Kind regards

Gert

1 hour ago, gbr said:

* touching multiple tracks quickly to add them to the playlist adds them in reverse order (in one touch mode). This happens with qobuz tracks as well as with tracks from my NAS served with minimserver.

Just when using Minimserver (I don’t use Qobuz):

one touch mode has to sub-modes play now or play later

if play now is selected they are added in reverse order as it should be, you tap the first to be played immediately, then you tap the third to be played immediately and this goes before the first and so on, ie they are added in reverse order.

if play later is selected the tracks are added in the very same sequence you tapped them.

2 hours ago, gbr said:

* sometimes some cover arts are not loaded in the library (qobuz playlists or NAS UPNP folders). You have to scroll the entries out of view and back again to make the cover art visible.

It happens to me too, only if the hdd is not spinning. (This is for Minimserver, don’t know about Qobuz)

2 hours ago, gbr said:

* sometimes (I guess when the app did loose the connection to the streamer and reconnects it) the navigation is resetted and jumps back to the start screen e.g. of qobuz.

It happens to me too, I think that when the connection is lost there is no alternative to start from the start screen

2 hours ago, gbr said:

* sometimes the app is crashing (I currently do not know when it happens)

It happens to me too, not very often, a couple of times in a day

Stefano

My audio system

7 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Just when using Minimserver (I don’t use Qobuz):

one touch mode has to sub-modes play now or play later

if play now is selected they are added in reverse order as it should be, you tap the first to be played immediately, then you tap the third to be played immediately and this goes before the first and so on, ie they are added in reverse order.

if play later is selected the tracks are added in the very same sequence you tapped them.

Thank you for your answer. But indeed I have configured this option as "play later".

I switched it for testing to "play now" and this works as expected. But switching back to "play later" shows the faulty behavior again. (But the result was suprising; my first test with tracks from minimserver enqueued the tracks correctly. The following test with qobuz tracks showed the reverse enqueuing. And testing after this again with another album from minimserver did add the tracks in reverse order, too. So maybe the qobuz mode brings the app out of order somehow?)

2 minutes ago, gbr said:

I switched it for testing to "play now" and this works as expected. But switching back to "play later" shows the faulty behavior again. (But the result was suprising; my first test with tracks from minimserver enqueued the tracks correctly. The following test with qobuz tracks showed the reverse enqueuing. And testing after this again with another album from minimserver did add the tracks in reverse order, too. So maybe the qobuz mode brings the app out of order somehow?)

No, it does not have to do with qobuz. If the playlist is empty, the tracks are added correctly. But if you try to add the same (in my case 3) tracks again, they are added in reverse order

So I have a feature request.   I use my Lumin app on iPads.   So the three zones.

After I fill my cache   zone.  ( Songs Im ready to listen to ,  don't know what this zone is called). It would be nice if I could make it bigger.  I would like to make the make the search zone smaller,  and the side zone with my loaded selection bigger.  On small Ipads  I go to hit a song and im off because the text is so small.  

Where all three zones meet. could be a dot that allows to to resize the screen.

I  like using the Lumin app more on the iPhone because of this.   But. so much swiping to search and add content.

Just a request.

Muiscguy

7 hours ago, wklie said:

For the reverse order issue, please wait for the previous track to be reflected in the current playlist first before you add another.  Yes it's slower this way.

Yes, this is a workaround, but it is too slow and therefore annoying to do it this way. Another workaround is to quickly touch the tracks in reverse order so they are inserted in the correct order. Another idea would be to use the 2-touch way. But the 1-touch option is why I like the lumin app more than the linn app.

You had mentioned that it could have to do with a slow WIFI connection to the iPad (but I cannot find your answer anymore in this thread). I do not believe that the WIFI is the culprit. The access point is in the same room. Ping times to my internet router is 1ms or 2ms. Transfer data is about 70 Mbit up and 40Mbit down to a host in the internet with a 100/50 internet connection. Also I can reproduce the reverse adding behavior every time and not only sometimes. If it was a WIFI issue I think it would only happen sometimes.

For testing purposes I have set up BubbleUPnPServer for the lumin U1 mini on my DS418play Synology NAS. Adding tracks to this quickly works in the correct order.

What makes me wonder: The BubbleUPnPServer does respond so much faster than the U1 mini. I cannot touch the 3rd track fast enough before the 1st track already appears in the playlist. When adding tracks to the original U1 mini it is very simple to quickly touch the 3 tracks before the first track does appear in the playlist. I sometimes have to wait maybe half a second afterwards until I see the tracks in the playlist. Is it normal that the U1 mini behaves so slowly?

Thank you

Gert

Oh, another question: When using the lumin app with the BubbleUPnPServer the app sometimes does lose the connection to the BubbleUPnPServer. The app completely forgets about this renderer. It is not listed in the list of streamers anymore. You have to stop and restart the lumin app to make the BubbleUPnPServer available again. The linn app does not have this problem.

An earlier version of the lumin app some years ago did not have this problem. It was introduced with an update I think in spring 2019 (or was it 2018?). Is there a chance to fix the behavior of the lumin app regarding this issue? (I understand that this is not the main interest of lumin to make there app work with a none lumin streamer. But in my case it would be a nice workaround being able to use the bubble proxy with my U1 mini.