IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

In this case, I suggest connecting the USB HDD to a computer or NAS and run MinimServer there.

Alternatively, try using either a 3.5" USB HDD with its own power supply, or a new WD 2.5" original HDD (i.e. not a SATA HDD inside a USB enclosure).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

A Lumin X1 user at whatsbestforum on X1 fiber networking: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lumin-x1-enabling-an-even-simpler-yet-better-sounding-system.29425/page-3#post-670321

This system was already marvelous in sound, the best by far I've had in this room. But the combination of better vibration protection, purer powerlines, and the fibre optic connection between the switch and the Lumin moves the performance up to a level of naturalness and a freedom from distortion which I had to hear to believe. There is simultaneously an increased smoothness and transparency to the sound without any real detail being lost. What is lost is distortion which was adding just a bit of edge that was not really noticed until I heard its absence.

I did A/B the Lumin with a copper ethernet link, then with the optical link. That change in itself is a significant part of the transformation I'm hearing.

Changing from copper ethernet to the fibre optic connection between the switch and the Lumin X1 meant even less "grunge" in the background, blacker backgrounds, even less high frequency digital nasties, and a generally more open sound. This is true regardless of the quality of the program--it applies from low-bit-rate internet radio up through high-res programs from Tidal or Qobuz. Lumin and the reviewers who have commented on this type of connection's performance are correct. This is better yet than an ethernet connection, which itself was better than a single Wi-Fi link in the streaming connection.

I can heartily recommend that those of you who have a Lumin X1 (or another streamer with a fibre connection potential built in--are there any others?) try this right away. The money spent, at least in my system, was way out of proportion to the audible improvement. What was obviously already a top streamer before in terms of sound quality is now at another level entirely, qualitatively superior to anything I've previously heard in network streaming.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 8/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, wklie said:

Alternatively, try using either a 3.5" USB HDD with its own power supply, or a new WD 2.5" original HDD (i.e. not a SATA HDD inside a USB enclosure).

Hi there,

My Lumin T1 failed to recognize any type of HDD you mentioned above, except USB thumb drive.
But Linn app on my iphone or Macbook can read and play contents of HDD attached to Lumin without any difficulty.

I guess the problem is from Lumin app.

Please advise. Thank you for your patience.

1 hour ago, DrNikonian said:

Hi there,

My Lumin T1 failed to recognize any type of HDD you mentioned above, except USB thumb drive.
But Linn app on my iphone or Macbook can read and play contents of HDD attached to Lumin without any difficulty.

I guess the problem is from Lumin app.

Please advise. Thank you for your patience.

It was mentioned earlier that attached devices can only get 500ma from the Lumin, only enough to support a USB drive.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

So it sounds like you must put the HDD in a powered docking station and give that a try.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

It was mentioned earlier that attached devices can only get 500ma from the Lumin, only enough to support a USB drive.

If so, why does Linn app read and play all HDD attached to Lumin easily?

please notice Lumin manual mentioned it can play ext USB DRIVE. 

2 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

With Linn app, are you using "Lumin USB Music Server" as the source of the music files?

With Lumin app, does it see show a "Lumin USB Music Server" when you go into Settings -> Library?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Just building on this to report that my U1 was greatly improved by using an optical switch and cable to Sonore optical module to U1. On my headphone system using an OpticalRendu  in place of an UltraRendu, that is, entirely optical from switch to optical streamer port, made less difference, I assume because the ethernet cabling is far shorter, and that the longer the ethernet run the greater the benefits of going optical.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

3 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

I tried on iphone, iPad. Both of them failed with Lumin, but run like a charm with Linn

Please assign different SSID to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi in the router, and try setting the iPad to each of them individually.  And see whether one of them would allow Lumin app to see the USB Music Server.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, wklie said:

Please assign different SSID to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi in the router, and try setting the iPad to each of them individually.  And see whether one of them would allow Lumin app to see the USB Music Server.

Hi there,

Finally, I realize Lumin app could detect external HDD under Mimimserver sub menu. After taping on it, all drives appear, include NAS and HDD. See pictures:

895A55F5-3919-4777-9317-1F751A86F0BA.jpeg

05030009-CAB2-4DF9-B020-92E3E913D398.jpeg

Ah right, I understand.
What you're seeing is a list of servers. It's not that it's under MinimServer as such. It's that Minimserver was the currently selected server and when you click it, you can change the server. In this case 'LUMIN T1 USB Music Server' is what you want to be browsing in order to see the contents of the drive.
Once you have a server selected, the 'Options' menu item under it is just for that particular server.

I think we got confused when you said you could see the thumb drive, so we assumed you'd gone through this same process in order to view the music on that.

Anyway - glad it's all working now.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

2 hours ago, thingswelike said:

Ah right, I understand.
What you're seeing is a list of servers. It's not that it's under MinimServer as such. It's that Minimserver was the currently selected server and when you click it, you can change the server. In this case 'LUMIN T1 USB Music Server' is what you want to be browsing in order to see the contents of the drive.
Once you have a server selected, the 'Options' menu item under it is just for that particular server.

I think we got confused when you said you could see the thumb drive, so we assumed you'd gone through this same process in order to view the music on that.

Anyway - glad it's all working now.

Thank you verry much for your kind support and patience

Hello everyone,

Has any users of Leedh processing had a problem when it is engaged of a static pop when changing files, example going from one downloaded full file to another album.  I get a static-like pop in my speakers every time.  I have my preamp at unity gain and set the playback volume with the Leedh volume control in the Lumin app.  If I turn off the Leedh the problem is non-exsistent.

My dac is the Denafrips Terminator.  Peter said it may be dac related, so if anyone can chime in with their thoughts, it would be helpful. I would like to use the Leedh as it sounds great, but can not risk damage to my Usher BE 20 diamonds while using this upgrade.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, hoppy100 said:

Hello everyone,

Has any users of Leedh processing had a problem when it is engaged of a static pop when changing files, example going from one downloaded full file to another album.  I get a static-like pop in my speakers every time.  I have my preamp at unity gain and set the playback volume with the Leedh volume control in the Lumin app.  If I turn off the Leedh the problem is non-exsistent.

My dac is the Denafrips Terminator.  Peter said it may be dac related, so if anyone can chime in with their thoughts, it would be helpful. I would like to use the Leedh as it sounds great, but can not risk damage to my Usher BE 20 diamonds while using this upgrade.

Cheers

I don't have pops with Leedh, did you power recycle the Dac when changing leedh on or off?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@hoppy100

Yes, I had it pop my speakers at full volume initially.

Then it switched to full power and blew one channel of my power amplifier.

I'd recommend you to be very careful using this feature.

Lumin fixed one of the issues immediately after I reported it, but the fact that this slipped through QA into production gives me little confidence in their ability to engineer quality software and test it before release.

I'd personally stick to the fixed output and use your preamp.

In my system, the preamp sounds better anyway.

40 minutes ago, hoppy100 said:

Hello everyone,

Cheers

I was intending to bring a wince inducing crack from my right speaker when file resolution changes when streaming.  I use Leedh and want to continue using it, but I should confirm if it happens when neither dac or Leedh is controlling volume.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

The last MSRP I saw was 12990 Euros.  If you can find a new one for $10,500 USD go for it and don't look back!  It's a wonderful unit!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂