IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

7 hours ago, wklie said:

@Liam That article is indeed interesting.  On testing as "a router cable", the test actually found the cheapest cable to the best.  Simply looking at the photos it seems that only the cheapest cable does not have metal connectors (which need to be avoided).  All the other expensive cable are shielded and have metal connectors (which I do not recommend using), if I observed correctly.

You will see from my signature below my setup.  Being an inconvenient distance from my router to cable directly I opted for a wifi extender and a 3mtr. ethernet cable from that to the UI Mini.  I opted for a Kasimo Cat 8, with all the bells and whistles of shielding etc. and with metal connectors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KASIMO-Ethernet-Network-Internet-Connector-Black/dp/B07RKGMHG6/ref=sr_1_3

However, I find a significant improvement of sound quality by placing three snap on ferrites at the UI Mini input.  For example Vladimir Horowitz rehearsing prior to his piano performance at Carnegie Hall....with the ferrites more clearly delineated notes and improved dynamics.  Without the ferrites a more 'lumped' sound and sounding somewhat 'smothered'.  Perhaps again supporting your assertion.

I think there are cables with metal connector at one end only thus allowing for a discontinuity of the screen at the receiving end.  Might one of these be a best of both worlds response to your concerns?   

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

On Leedh Processing Volume from a Lumin D2 user on Roon forum:

When Lumin came up with Leedh-processing I tried that and was so impressed with the quality that I actually sold my pre-amp - freeing up some money so that I was able to upgrade to a Lumin’s flagship, the X1.

I think there's hardly better proof of Leedh Processing Volume than selling the pre-amp.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On Leedh Processing Volume from a Lumin U1 MINI user on a Hong Kong forum:

I received the U1 Mini and connected with my Ayer QB-9 DSD now. Very happy with the outcome. Even with switching power supply it sounds really good. With LPSU the tone is now very balanced. Good bass, high freq not bright either.

I think Leedh volume control is a real winner. I decided to keep the Lumin and sell my XXXXXXXX N100 due to this. With the volume control, I can bring my integrated amp to "normal" level like 40% (or like 10-11 o'clock position). Without it, I have to turn down the volume to like 25% or less and we all know that's not ideal [...] So every component now perform at their sweet spots.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Not cable related or specifically related to the Lumin, but I notice that I need to have my ceiling fan turned off to achieve the best possible sound quality.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Agreed.  Also, oddly or maybe not so oddly, depending on the resting position of the five fan blades with respect to the path the sound that is reflected from the ceiling takes to my ears changes the sound quite audibly.  With the fan running, the sound is modulated depending on the speed of rotation almost like the rotating "Leslie" speakers in old electronic organs.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Interesting question.  I assume you are speaking of a battery only and no associated active regulator circuity but I could be wrong.  If battery only and no other active electronics, the battery voltage would be constantly changing due to the state of charge and this may affect the units SQ.  If a battery simply replaces the AC portion of the power supply input circuitry there could be issues regarding regulator noise etc.

BlueSkyy, what you say makes sense.

On a different note, does anyone know how to create multiple playlists on Lumin app? Every time I try to enter a new play list it just tries to change the title of the old one. I would like to have different playlists for each genre.

20 minutes ago, chungjh said:

BlueSkyy, what you say makes sense.

On a different note, does anyone know how to create multiple playlists on Lumin app? Every time I try to enter a new play list it just tries to change the title of the old one. I would like to have different playlists for each genre.

stefano_mbp is correct above - we've actually just changed the layout of this area and updated our instructions page:
See here:
http://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html#playlist

I'll paste it below - but it might not read as well:

Save and Load:

Browse: Save/Load Playlist

The 'Playlist' button (highlighted) is used to both Save and Load Playlists.

Save new: Type in your new Playlist Name in the text box and then tap the Save Playlist'Save' button.

Overwrite: Tap the Playlist Name in the list that you wish to overwrite and then tap the Save Playlist'Save' button.

Load: Tap your chosen Playlist Name, or type the name into the text box and then tap the Load Playlist'Load' button.

Edit name: Tap on the Playlist Name you wish to edit, then tap the Edit Playlist'Edit' button. Type your new name into the popup.

Delete: Tap on the Playlist Name you wish to delete, then tap the Delete Playlist'Delete' button.

Save TIDAL/Qobuz tracks to TIDAL/Qobuz playlist: Type in your new Playlist Name in the text box and then tap the Save TIDAL Playlistor Save Qobuz Playlist'Save' button. The songs from the corresponding service will be saved to the 'My Playlists' section of the TIDAL/Qobuz systems.

In all above cases you are given an ok/cancel confirmation box

Search: At the top of the pop-up is a search bar. Start typing in your search term and the LUMIN App will filter the results.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:14 PM, wklie said:

Please use the free MinimServer on NAS:

https://minimserver.com/installing.html

Otherwise you lose some browsing speed and flexibility.

Hi,

It's strange because when plugged USB HDD into Lumin D1, the device does not recognize HDD unless I try run Minimsever from a PC. I wonder Lumin D1 can not read external HDD without Minimsever. 

I have tried to soft and hard reset Lumin D1 but still fail to make it read contents on external HDD.

Please advise.

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, wklie said:

After removing a USB device, power cycle the Lumin.  Then try using a USB thumb drive in FAT32 format or NTFS format.  A "Lumin D1 USB Music Server" should show up as a library selectable in Lumin app.

I have done it several times with my NTFS-formated HDD. Still fail! 😞

33 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

For those of you who have compared the various outputs of the u1 mini, do you prefer one over another ?

I've used U1 mini to chord Qutest and currently to RME ADI 2 DAC. For me it's consistently very good across all outputs, with only subtle differences which could easily be due to cable types/brands.

I have ended up very slightly favouring the coaxial BNC output over the USB due to slightly more dynamic/punchy sound. Cables include Bluejeans 75ohm rca-rca, Shunyata Cobra Zitron BNC-BNC and currently Silversonic D750 BNC-RCA.

Tried USB cables:

Oyaide Neo d+

Inakustik Excellenz USB

CuriousUSB. 

Of these I preferred the Oyaide surprisingly as it's by far the cheapest, but had the most balanced sound and felt like less noise/hash was being passed along with the signal.

41 minutes ago, DrNikonian said:

Do you mean Lumin D1 won't accept external HDD, don't you?

Lumin supports USB storage devices only if they need less than 500mA.

In problem diagnosis, different setup need to be tried.  Without doing experiments no solution can be found.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead