IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

New firmware today (13.2) but no info on what the new version provides as release notes are still at 13.1.  Anybody have any info and thanks in advance?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

21 hours ago, One and a half said:

The Website was a little slow to update:

Version 13.2 (Aug 7, 2020) Enhancements and fixes:

I appreciate the info.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 hour ago, hoppy100 said:

@wklie Hello,

I am going to upgrade to the U1 from the mini. 

1. Can you tell me the length of the umbilical cord from the power supply to the unit? I need to know for placement options.
  2. Has the power unit been upgraded for the U1 like the X1 power unit?

I have the U1 and the X1 psu.

The umbilical power cable from the psu to the U1 is detachable from both ends and a good guess is that would be 1.2m minimum.

The connectors are a 4 pin type job, commercially available easy enough to extend or make a new cable. I wouldn’t go beyond 3m without knowing if the psu has inbuilt lead compensation.

Notify the dealer though, since the U1 has a different pin config to the X1, so I was told.

Far as I know, the psu for the U1 as delivered is different to the X1 psu, certainly sounds that way, more weight and able to work detail without straining. I doubt the X1 psu is now delivered with the U1 , mind the U1 psu is no slouch.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@wklie Hello,

I just found something strang while using the LeedH processing. None of my DSD files will play when it is active, as soon as I turn it off the files play fine in full DSD at the recorded rate.  Do you know why and what is causing this?  It does not happen with normal High res 44-192/24 files.

Thanks for your thoughts

10 hours ago, hoppy100 said:

I just found something strang while using the LeedH processing. None of my DSD files will play when it is active, as soon as I turn it off the files play fine in full DSD at the recorded rate.  Do you know why and what is causing this?  It does not happen with normal High res 44-192/24 files.

For U1 MINI or any Lumin digital output, doing any Volume Control (including Leedh Processing Volume and old Lumin volume control algorithm) will automatically convert DSD to PCM (usually 352.8kHz for USB output).  If this results in no sound, please turn on Custom Re-samping, and manually change DSD64 and DSD128 to resample to 176.4kHz.

However, unless you have changed your setup to different equipment, you should use pre-amp volume instead of Lumin volume (i.e. please turn off Lumin Volume Control) due to your post on July 6.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have a U1 Mini and an X1, and found that the uptone etherRegen (using a DH Labs ethernet cable) was a huge upgrade for both. When I used both the U1 Mini and the X1 as a digital source for another DAC, I actually found the improvement from the etherRegen was bigger than the difference between the U1 Mini and the X1.

1 minute ago, rossb said:

I have a U1 Mini and an X1, and found that the uptone etherRegen (using a DH Labs ethernet cable) was a huge upgrade for both. When I used both the U1 Mini and the X1 as a digital source for another DAC, I actually found the improvement from the etherRegen was bigger than the difference between the U1 Mini and the X1.

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!

I want to say I really like the u1 mini and I think the keces p8 does a great job with it! But I do kinda feel like my bad network switch is holding it back. I actually found compared to the di20he alone with usb out of my pc the sound quality was better. That really makes no sense to me. Many have remarked how doing streamer + di20he is better than di20he alone.

I really want to try the uptone.

8 minutes ago, rossb said:

What ethernet cable are you using ?

btw one thing i like about the u1 mini is that its actually warmer and smoother than di20he so on some tracks that are fatiguing on the di20he i switch to the u1 mini and it just lets me relax and enjoy without being assaulted with bright detail

1 hour ago, smodtactical said:

Hey @wklie and all. For those of you running u1 mini. Did you find your network switch or ethernet cable was holding your lumin back? I am using a generic switch with generic smps and amazon cat 7 ethernet cable.

Your CAT-7 cable likely has shielding and has a metal connector.  Please use an unshielded CAT-6.

Does your Keces P8 have dual voltage output suitable for the network switch?  If yes, please also try using the P8 to power the switch, and remove the switch SMPS from the power inlet.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

And use unshielded cable too between the switch and the home network. It may be disappointing, but each unshielded cable will have his own sound  (like each audiophile switch will have too, Etherregen give good improvements but is a bit hot and in your face like a B class Naim Olive amplifier and the original power supply don’t help... but many love it as it’s better than no audiophile switch at all :) ).

Let’s try this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B00ACR5VSW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Monoprice+cat5e+flat+30&qid=1597900411&sr=8-2

And this one that sound different but good too:

https://www.amazon.fr/1aTTack-réseau-Compatible-routeur-Internet/dp/B07GLXJZ6D/ref=sr_1_17?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=1attack+cat5e+cca&qid=1597900531&sr=8-17

Don’t think that a cheap ethernet cable is the same choice than an other... and Yes of course for linear power supply on the switch, it’s one of the first things to do.

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

3 hours ago, wklie said:

Your CAT-7 cable likely has shielding and has a metal connector.  Please use an unshielded CAT-6.

Does your Keces P8 have dual voltage output suitable for the network switch?  If yes, please also try using the P8 to power the switch, and remove the switch SMPS from the power inlet.

Really? Unshielded is better ? The Keces powering the switch is a brilliant idea. I wonder if it will work, will look into that, thanks!

This makes interesting reading as it differentiates between the same cables used in two different applications with very different reported results.

http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-edition-reviews/104-ethernet-rj-45-cables-shootout

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

@Liam That article is indeed interesting.  On testing as "a router cable", the test actually found the cheapest cable to the best.  Simply looking at the photos it seems that only the cheapest cable does not have metal connectors (which need to be avoided).  All the other expensive cable are shielded and have metal connectors (which I do not recommend using), if I observed correctly.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead