IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

6 hours ago, hoppy100 said:

Has any users of Leedh processing had a problem when it is engaged of a static pop when changing files, example going from one downloaded full file to another album.  I get a static-like pop in my speakers every time

For DAC that exhibits such behavior, you should use an analog preamp and cease to rely only on Lumin digital volume immediately.

I'm saying this for the third time.  To repeat my post #2657 and #2708 to you: Please turn down the analog preamp volume to usual, then stop using the Lumin digital volume by setting Volume Control to Off.  This will reset the Lumin volume and Max Volume % to 100.

This behavior does not occur with Lumin analog output products, and has not been reported by users of other brands of DAC, although I'm sure there are other DAC that behaves similarly.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, EvilTed said:

Yes, I had it pop my speakers at full volume initially.

Then it switched to full power and blew one channel of my power amplifier.

I'd recommend you to be very careful using this feature.

Leedh Processing Volume, or any digital volume processing, by itself will not do this.

It is only the (incorrect) disabling of Volume Control that will reset volume to 100.  This is by design, and is common with many DAC that offer a fixed and variable mode output.

What we did modify, is that after the incorrect disabling of volume control during playback, we changed to automatically stop playback even if using Roon.  (Roon Ready actually has a requirement that volume change should not stop playback.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie

Incorrect disabling of the volume control?

I managed to click something that disabled the volume control while the X1 was playing Roon.

Like you don't know your own equipment is playing something?

So that's my fault?

Correct my misunderstanding, but disabling the volume control is a function of your application.

If you had designed the Lumin App correctly, the warning modal would say "You are about to disable the volume control, which will return the output to maximum and potentially damage your equipment. Are you OK with this?"

Instead, you just disabled the volume control and the modal says "Volume control disabled" with the button OK.

How is this ever OK?

Your firmware design was flawed and the interaction design was atrocious.

If you cannot admit that, then there is nothing left to say.

"What we did modify, is that after the incorrect disabling of volume control during playback, we changed to automatically stop playback even if using Roon."

No, what you did was cover your ass and fix a nasty bug that would have damaged more peoples equipment and your reputation.

A thank you would be in order, but I guess you are too arrogant to admit you are wrong.

@EvilTedI'm sorry for what happened to your amp, and thank you for reporting that.

I only wanted to point out that the case was not caused by Leedh Processing Volume, but the disabling of volume control.  As there is a member who misunderstood the description and concluded the Leedh Processing Volume has some problem in another forum.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

7 hours ago, wklie said:

For DAC that exhibits such behavior, you should use an analog preamp and cease to rely only on Lumin digital volume immediately.

I'm saying this for the third time.  To repeat my post #2657 and #2708 to you: Please turn down the analog preamp volume to usual, then stop using the Lumin digital volume by setting Volume Control to Off.  This will reset the Lumin volume and Max Volume % to 100.

This behavior does not occur with Lumin analog output products, and has not been reported by users of other brands of DAC, although I'm sure there are other DAC that behaves similarly.

@wklieIs there any possibility of a fix in the future?  I would like to continue using Leedh.  The convenience of remote volume control is also a great feature. Thanks. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

30 minutes ago, wklie said:

@Liam If a DAC produces audible anomaly during resolution or format change, any fix would probably need to come from the DAC.

If this were a bug in Lumin firmware, all external DAC users would experience the same problem.

Oh well that’s it then 🙁 thanks for your very prompt attention. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I also use LEEDH on 3 Lumin's now and while none have a DAC attached (D1 & D2 models dont support external USB DACs) I never had any issues with the LEEDH volume over the last several months.

I can fully appreciate Peters stance that when a user disables Lumin's volume control function that they should do so with adequate precautions in place like powering off amplifiers and having a replacement volume control in place and lowered to a safe level prior to making such changes. Regardless of what the app might or might not tell you.

I'm sure plenty of us (even well versed users) myself included have at one time or another had a mishap where full noise is presented to ones speakers or amps inadvertently - live and learn. 

3 hours ago, barrows said:

Guys, I am not a Lumin user, but I can sympathize with @wklie's point of view here.  It sounds like the DACs which are having problems while using the LeedH VC in a Lumin streamer are not properly applying a mute signal when the DAC needs to re-establish a lock when a file stops playing, and then a new file starts.  A DAC should mute its signal anytime a reliable lock is lost from the incoming signal.  This mute function must be very quick, and it must be reliable.  Some of us who build DIY DACs are well aware of how important a properly functioning mute capability is.  With many DACs problems will occur especially when changing sample rates from file to file, but it can also happen when playback stops for one file, and then begins with another file, and the DAC tries to re-establish a lock.

If one uses Roon as playback software, there is a feature in Roon which may help some.  In the device set up there is a function called Resync Delay, this allows one to set a time where Roon will send silence to the DAC to allow the DAC a certain amount of time to re-establish lock with the  signal.  I typically set this to 500 mS.  I do not know if Lumin's own software has such a feature, but it is worth looking into.  

I would also suggest that anytime one wants to experiment with using a software based VC, one first do so with an analog VC control in place, set to a low level, just to make sure everything works with your DAC without any problems, before fully relying on the software VC.  Especially test what happens when a playlist includes different sample rates, as often the problems can be especially bad when the DAC is re-establishing a lock with a new sample rate, or DSD.

No company can test their streaming product and verify "perfect" operation with every DAC. 

@barrows Thank you for that very clear information as to why some of us have this issue with Leedh VC.  I noticed the previous poster with the issue was using a Denafrips Terminator and in my own case it is a MHDT Orchid DAC, both R2R design.  Is this relevant at all in your opinion.  Finally is it possible that the appropriate dac delay could be implemented by a firmware update?

2 hours ago, Liam said:

@barrows Thank you for that very clear information as to why some of us have this issue with Leedh VC.  I noticed the previous poster with the issue was using a Denafrips Terminator and in my own case it is a MHDT Orchid DAC, both R2R design.  Is this relevant at all in your opinion.  Finally is it possible that the appropriate dac delay could be implemented by a firmware update?

I cannot speak specifically to those DACs as I have no direct experience with them.  As to R2R, that specifically would pose no problem, as long as the manufacturer incorporated a mute circuit correctly, but in these cases it appears they have not.  But, to look at it a different way, for example, a DAC made with an ESS chip can usually just rely on the mute circuit built into the chip itself, making development easier, whereas something like the Denafripps which uses a discrete conversion would require the manufacturer to develop a good muting circuit on their own.  Often these mute circuits can be incorporated into the USB interface, but then they would not work for the other inputs.  In my DIY DSC-2 for example, the mute circuit is on the (discrete) converts board, but is controlled by a mute signal coming from the USB interface, and it took the Amanero folks a long time to get their software just right to have the mute work correctly (in order to avoid loud pops at start up, etc).

It is also worth noting that mixed sample rate playlists can be a challenge for any DAC.

There is a tendency for streamer makers to blame the DAC, and for DAC makers to blame the streamer, as there are no strict standards of how to connect these things together, and exactly what "should" be required, it is not surprising that both sides often need to make software changes in order to accommodate each other's needs.  At Sonore a lot of software development time is taken up by trying to guarantee good operation with many different DACs and their different softwares-it is a difficult and complex process, and throwing digital volume control into the mix magnifies all of the potential problems.  On the customer side, it would be nice if all components always worked perfectly together all the time, but given all the potential combinations that is just not possible.  The best approach for the audiophile, is always to err on the side of caution with new combinations until one is sure things are working together well.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@barrows

It should all be driven by user experience =>  the best possible experience for someone using the system.

If it is possible for a user to make a mistake and this leads to catastrophic damage, then the system has not been designed correctly.

Here's an example from control engineering 101.

When power to a valve fails, does the valve stay open or does it close?

The answer is it depends upon the system.

If it is fuel, the probably shutting it is the better option.

If it is water cooling a reactor, then leaving it open is probably best.

I'll take BADA as an example.

The BADA DACs have a built in volume control. 

They recommend using it at 54 out of 60 (max).

What happens when there is a power cut?

Does it start at 60?

No, it comes back up at 24.

This way, if there is any error, it doesn't come back at full power and blow stuff up.

A PITA you may feel, but better to have to operate a volume control than replace damaged equipment.

Now, I've stated my case and Lumin disagree, but I did note that they fixed the issue, so there must have been merit to it.

5 minutes ago, EvilTed said:

I'll take BADA as an example.

The BADA DACs have a built in volume control. 

They recommend using it at 54 out of 60 (max).

What happens when there is a power cut?

Does it start at 60?

No, it comes back up at 24.

I have no disagreement with the above example, even better would be user stable parameters for what happens, with a default position of  -40 dB or so.  But the above is not the only problem being described here.  My Bricasti DAC just remembers the last VC setting and starts up there.

I would add, that in the case of the X-1, Lumin should have everything dialed as this is a controlled and known situation (at least when using the X-1 as a DAC from the analog outputs).  But separate Renderers and DACs pose a much more difficult set of problems to provide solutions for, and there is no universal answer possible, as there is no way any company can test every possible combination before releasing a product.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

I cannot speak specifically to those DACs as I have no direct experience with them.  As to R2R, that specifically would pose no problem, as long as the manufacturer incorporated a mute circuit correctly, but in these cases it appears they have not.  But, to look at it a different way, for example, a DAC made with an ESS chip can usually just rely on the mute circuit built into the chip itself, making development easier, whereas something like the Denafripps which uses a discrete conversion would require the manufacturer to develop a good muting circuit on their own.  Often these mute circuits can be incorporated into the USB interface, but then they would not work for the other inputs.  In my DIY DSC-2 for example, the mute circuit is on the (discrete) converts board, but is controlled by a mute signal coming from the USB interface, and it took the Amanero folks a long time to get their software just right to have the mute work correctly (in order to avoid loud pops at start up, etc).

It is also worth noting that mixed sample rate playlists can be a challenge for any DAC.

There is a tendency for streamer makers to blame the DAC, and for DAC makers to blame the streamer, as there are no strict standards of how to connect these things together, and exactly what "should" be required, it is not surprising that both sides often need to make software changes in order to accommodate each other's needs.  At Sonore a lot of software development time is taken up by trying to guarantee good operation with many different DACs and their different softwares-it is a difficult and complex process, and throwing digital volume control into the mix magnifies all of the potential problems.  On the customer side, it would be nice if all components always worked perfectly together all the time, but given all the potential combinations that is just not possible.  The best approach for the audiophile, is always to err on the side of caution with new combinations until one is sure things are working together well.  

@barrows again thank you so much for taking time to give so much information. 

Regarding the X1's fiber interface, I am currently using single mode transceivers and cables to connect the X1 to the switch and I believe it was based upon a recommendation here but I can't find it.. To set the record straight, Is single mode connectivity "better" than "multi-mode" and, if so, why?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 minute ago, BlueSkyy said:

Regarding the X1's fiber interface, I am currently using single mode transceivers and cables to connect the X1 to the switch and I believe it was based upon a recommendation here but I can't find it.. To set the record straight, Is single mode connectivity "better" than "multi-mode" and, if so, why?

No one "knows" definitively.  But there have been reports of SMF sounding "better" than MMF, I believe some have reported this with the X-1. I use SMF with my Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical, and it sounds great.  Also, be advised that some are finding sonic differences with different SFP modules.  These are things to experiment with if you are so inclined, only you can really decide if you want to experiment.  I would suggest that if SMF is working for you and sounding good, there would be no reason to then try MMF.  Theory is that because SMF has to be more precise in transmission for longer distance, it may have precision advantages at shorter distances as well-but this theory is unproven, there are only anecdotal reports of "better" sound quality.

SONORE computer audio

38 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

In an X1 demo with a direct comparison among single mode SFP, multi mode SFP, and copper Ethernet - from subjective listening results, slightly more people preferred single mode than those who preferred multi mode.  There were also people who preferred Ethernet cable.

In that same demo, Corning ClearCurve fiber was also tested against ordinary fiber, and the subjective result is that Corning won.  Objectivists will immediately dismiss this (perhaps expectation bias).  The interesting thing is that when I researched this further, in the past audiophiles already had the opinion that glass toslink sounded better than plastic.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks barrows.  SMF is sounding very good to me at the moment and I will probably keep it that way.  The NAS I am using is connected to the switch via MMF and I got myself into a quandary when I accidentally got the wrong type of fiber connected to the wrong transceiver and it started me to think about going fully one way or the other.

Speaking of subtle differences, has anyone tried those high-dollar audiophile fuses in a Lumin application?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 minutes ago, wklie said:

In an X1 demo with a direct comparison among single mode SFP, multi mode SFP, and copper Ethernet - from subjective listening results, slightly more people preferred single than those who preferred multi mode.  There were also people who preferred Ethernet cable.

It seems to me Sonore recommends the multi-mode TP-Link TL-SM311LM for use with their products.

In that same demo, Corning ClearCurve fiber was also tested against ordinary fiber, and the subjective result is that Corning won.  Objectivists will immediately dismiss this.  The interesting that is that when I researched this further, in the past audiophiles already discovered that glass toslink sounded better than plastic.  Another well known DAC designer also commented on this finding and gave his hypothesis.

The output of that demo must be why I decided to go with the TP-Link TL-SM311SM transceivers but I chose some plastic cable over glass.  Regarding Toslink, I have both glass and plastic and in the past I've flip flopped on differences in the SQ between the two transport media but I believe it was dependent on the level of Scotch in my blood stream during those listening sessions.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:04 AM, barrows said:

I use SMF with my Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical, and it sounds great.

If I'm not mistaken, the SFP module photo on the Sonore web shop is a multi-mode TL-SM311LM and the fiber is also multi-mode, so I'm a little surprised that you use a single-mode setup.

Just to add another data point on the subject.  I recall that another X1 user found that single-mode Planet SFP module "did not sound right.  So [he] installed multi-mode TP link modules on both ends and suddenly it became really good, sounds much better".

I thought more users would try different brands and types of SFP modules in the same way people do tube rolling.  It does not seem to be happening though.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, wklie said:

If I'm not mistaken, the SFP module photo on the Sonore web shop is a multi-mode TL-SM311LM and the fiber is also multi-mode, so I'm a little surprised that you use a single-mode setup.

I am running Cisco SMF SFPs with Corning Clear Curve SMF, these things are easy and affordable to try, so why not. The official Sonore recommendation is for customers to use OM-1 MMF with the provided SFPs, but I am interested in trying different things.  I would not mix SMF with the OE SFPs though...

Also going to try some Finisar SMF SFPs soon, so SFP rolling is alive and well, at least for some.  I cannot say for sure I heard any difference with the SMF set up, but it certainly did not sound worse with my Sonore gear.

SONORE computer audio

I am hoping at some point that Lumin comes out with a 10GbE interface.................. just because I would like to keep the infrastructure all running at the same speed......

Still, no one has commented on whether or not expensive fuses in Lumin equipment are worth the while.  Is it a taboo subject or nobody has tried because it may negate the warranty?

A few users have tried changing the fuse, and they are happy with their choices.  Changing the fuse does not void Lumin warranty.

The Lumin fuse is a 2A fast blow (not applicable to Lumin M1).

If I remember correctly, for the world first review of Lumin X1, the reviewer installed his own favorite fuse before he started to review it.  He did not do an A/B comparison of the fuse though.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead