IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

do you know SALSA-lib?

Yes...

Could it be any use in the compilation of the various NAA images?

With some modifications, yes... But it would take some time package SALSA to do and re-validate the compatibility with networkaudiod.

Main drawback is this:

KNOWN PROBLEMS

--------------

- Incomplete MMAP mode

snd_pcm_mmap_*() are not implemented, and the mmap-mode is less

tested, so far.

Can SALSA-lib have an effect on the playback?

I don't think so, only if you believe slight code variations in bit-perfect code paths having impact. Data going out would be the same anyway.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

NAA is a back end buffer for HQPlayer, period. It is not used in any other player.

Yes I understand the 2 go together hand in hand.

What I am trying to understand is the chatter about using HQPlayer as an external player for Kodi (XBMC).

Is this only for streaming services?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/tidal-and-wimp-through-your-software-player-choice-23987/index18.html

Yes...

With some modifications, yes... But it would take some time package SALSA to do and re-validate the compatibility with networkaudiod.

Main drawback is this:

I don't think so, only if you believe slight code variations in bit-perfect code paths having impact. Data going out would be the same anyway.

Does NAD use MMAP mode?

With Squeezelite is possible to enable and disable at will (in reality it means using different calls to ALSA) and the effect I am not sure is noticeable.

Point taken and I understand MicroR isn't the same as Cubox et al (wasn't comparing the two), but in the context of my previous statement I wanted to get an idea of going from a "noisy/traditional" computer to something like the Cubox/SOSE.

If the Cubox can't function (for me) as a NAA with an image made for it to perform that one function, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting a SOSE much less a MicroR. However, It's probably a stretch to lump the Cubox in with the SOSE but I think my general idea is obvious, flawed or otherwise :)

It's interesting that some say emphatically the Cubox is solid / no issues (as an NAA) to having the complete opposite experience. I do understand everyone's environment/infrastructure/audio components are all different so I guess I'll chalk it up to that. FWIW - having just revamped my network with all new up to date stuff including fiber, I have to think my network is pretty solid.

For anyone experiencing dropouts with a Cubox and or SOSE, this solved the issue (thanks to ericuco for pointing this out). Apparently, with some endpoints, too fast of a network/information seems to overwhelm some devices.

I put a dumb 100MB switch before the Cubox and no issues whatsoever. Since my network connection to my listening room is fiber (I ran a long temporary eth cable from switch for this test) and the media converter is 1GB only, the Cubox is limited to 470Mbps and won't work with this setup. I won't be putting a 100MB switch in my rig, but could set the port to 100MB on my managed switch which should work, but have not tried yet and doubt I will. Search continues for an NAA.....

My rig

For anyone experiencing dropouts with a Cubox and or SOSE, this solved the issue (thanks to ericuco for pointing this out). Apparently, with some endpoints, too fast of a network/information seems to overwhelm some devices.

I put a dumb 100MB switch before the Cubox and no issues whatsoever. Since my network connection to my listening room is fiber (I ran a long temporary eth cable from switch for this test) and the media converter is 1GB only, the Cubox is limited to 470Mbps and won't work with this setup. I won't be putting a 100MB switch in my rig, but could set the port to 100MB on my managed switch which should work, but have not tried yet and doubt I will. Search continues for an NAA.....

It works for me too. Thanks.

Is there any way to stream Tidal through HQ Player/NAA? It is absolutely my favorite way to listen to music but see no way to accomplish this. Thanks

I'm doing just that right now. Roon is in the mix tho. As good as TIDAL could sound before using HQPlayer, upsampled to 192k it's amazingly good. [emoji1]

Is there any way to stream Tidal through HQ Player/NAA? It is absolutely my favorite way to listen to music but see no way to accomplish this. Thanks

You accomplish it through a front end player to HQPlayer, like Roon or Kodi. Roon costs money but the handshake is fully supported by both companies (Roon and HQPlayer). Kodi is free and the handshake is a little more DIY.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/tidal-and-wimp-through-your-software-player-choice-23987/

Or another way here (much more DIY):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hqplayer-friendly-way-and-stream-tidal-qobuz-spotify-23034/

You accomplish it through a front end player to HQPlayer, like Roon or Kodi. Roon costs money but the handshake is fully supported by both companies (Roon and HQPlayer). Kodi is free and the handshake is a little more DIY.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/tidal-and-wimp-through-your-software-player-choice-23987/

Or another way here (much more DIY):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hqplayer-friendly-way-and-stream-tidal-qobuz-spotify-23034/

I have a Mac Mini that I use with Roon > HQ Player. I much prefer the uRendu and was hoping for a way to stream Tidal via HQ Player/NAA to eliminate the need for the MacMini

I have a Mac Mini that I use with Roon > HQ Player. I much prefer the uRendu and was hoping for a way to stream Tidal via HQ Player/NAA to eliminate the need for the MacMini

You can't really get rid of the Mac Mini, because you'd still need a computer to run HQPlayer.

HQPlayer runs on a computer and NAA can run on your microRendu.

If you run Roon and HQPlayer on your Mac Mini, Tidal content you played via Roon can be passed to HQPlayer and then to the microRendu (as NAA).

See https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-use-roon-and-hqplayer-together/5866/2

You can't really get rid of the Mac Mini, because you'd still need a computer to run HQPlayer.

HQPlayer runs on a computer and NAA can run on your microRendu.

If you run Roon and HQPlayer on your Mac Mini, Tidal content you played via Roon can be passed to HQPlayer and then to the microRendu (as NAA).

See https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-use-roon-and-hqplayer-together/5866/2

I run HQ Player in NAA mode on a Mac Pro. I have been using a Mac Mini for one purpose - Roon > HQ Player. I also have Roon server running on the Mac Pro. The Mac Mini can easily be connected directly to the DAC which is the only reason I use it. What I was hoping to do was use the uRendu solely. I know I can stream Tidal through Roon Ready on the uR but I prefer HQ Player/NAA without Roon but I see no way to stream Tidal that way. So it seems the bottom line is that I will need to continue to use the Mac Mini if I want to listen on Tidal with HQ Player as an audio zone.

I run HQ Player in NAA mode on a Mac Pro. I have been using a Mac Mini for one purpose - Roon > HQ Player. I also have Roon server running on the Mac Pro. The Mac Mini can easily be connected directly to the DAC which is the only reason I use it. What I was hoping to do was use the uRendu solely. I know I can stream Tidal through Roon Ready on the uR but I prefer HQ Player/NAA without Roon but I see no way to stream Tidal that way. So it seems the bottom line is that I will need to continue to use the Mac Mini if I want to listen on Tidal with HQ Player as an audio zone.

I didn’t know you had a Mac Pro.

If you run Roon (or Roon Server) and HQPlayer on the Mac Pro, you can connect the microRendu (in NAA mode) to your dac and you’ll be fine. You can get rid of the Mac Mini that way and you'll get the SQ benefits of HQPlayer when playing anything in Roon (including Tidal content).

Is that what you wanted to do?

Or did you want to get rid of both the Mac Pro and Mac Mini?

I am planning to try to run 'out of your head' software, which has a virtual soundcard and can output to any 'playback device' in windows, including any virtual soundcards.

It unfortunately cannot output over a network to my microRendu.

Is it possible to set it to output to HQPlayer, and then HQPlayer will output using NAA?

So I'll be using:

Roon->Out of Your Head (via virtual soundcard) -> HQPlayer -> microRendu (via NAA)

I didn’t know you had a Mac Pro.

If you run Roon (or Roon Server) and HQPlayer on the Mac Pro, you can connect the microRendu (in NAA mode) to your dac and you’ll be fine. You can get rid of the Mac Mini that way and you'll get the SQ benefits of HQPlayer when playing anything in Roon (including Tidal content).

Is that what you wanted to do?

Or did you want to get rid of both the Mac Pro and Mac Mini?

I want to continue to use the Mac Pro for HQ Player (definitely superior to the Mac Mini) and running Roon server. I want to use only the Sonore uRendu to connect to the DAC (eliminate Mac Mini completely) and my question is how can I stream Tidal with this setup through HQ Player?

I want to continue to use the Mac Pro for HQ Player (definitely superior to the Mac Mini) and running Roon server. I want to use only the Sonore uRendu to connect to the DAC (eliminate Mac Mini completely) and my question is how can I stream Tidal with this setup through HQ Player?

Roon added HQPlayer integration in December 2015.

Follow the instructions here to have Roon pass content (including Tidal) to HQPlayer, which can then be sent to your microRendu acting as NAA:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-use-roon-and-hqplayer-together/5866.

Roon added HQPlayer integration in December 2015.

Follow the instructions here to have Roon pass content (including Tidal) to HQPlayer, which can then be sent to your microRendu acting as NAA:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-use-roon-and-hqplayer-together/5866.

THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to do! Outstanding ;)

I really, really need help - just don't know how to connect HQplayer with NAA.

My setup:

HQplayer (evaluation) - WIndows 10 PC

NAA - Windows 10 PC.

1. How to start properly NAA? Should I have all the files (exe and bat) in one folder?

2. should I start whether networkaudiod_name or networkaudiod_altdsd

3. when I start .bat file cmd dialog box stays open

4. when I go back to HQplayer - I go to settings, NAA is not discovered.

Most probably there is some network issue (I have no problem with Roon or LMS) - do you have any tips?

Is there any step-by-step guide how to setup HQplayer-NAA? In details?

I really, really need help - just don't know how to connect HQplayer with NAA.

My setup:

HQplayer (evaluation) - WIndows 10 PC

NAA - Windows 10 PC.

1. How to start properly NAA? Should I have all the files (exe and bat) in one folder?

Most probably there is some network issue (I have no problem with Roon or LMS) - do you have any tips?

Is there any step-by-step guide how to setup HQplayer-NAA? In details?

On your NAA make sure you have the DAC connected, powered on and the driver loaded in the NAA box. Then execute networkaudiod.exe. A dos box will open. Leave it open. Done. Now go back to HQPlayer and restart it. Choose NAA (instead of ASIO or WASAPI) and your DAC driver should show up in the devices pulldown. If it is an ASIO driver capable of direct DSD choose SDM none, otherwise choose SDM DoP. (Note: if you go back to your NAA you should see DAC diagnostics in your DOS Window. Leave it alone.)

That's correct. So the bat and exe should be in same directory, you need to pick either 32-bit or 64-bit exe depending on your Windows version.

You can edit the bat in notepad if you want to change the NAA to have some more meaningful name than "default".

It should... If it doesn't, there's possibly some network issue, like software firewall on either computer blocking the traffic. You can also check the NAA window if it can hear HQPlayer calling for it. It will report whenever it sees such...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi -- I am currently using the microrendu in its DLNA/MPD mode with minimserver running on a Windows 10 computer and Bubbleupnp as a remote control. Does anyone here have an opinion on whether using HQPlayer with the microrendu would be any better in terms of sound quality? I have no interest in upsampling or anything fancy --- I just play music at native sampling rates. Thanks. -- David

Hi -- I am currently using the microrendu in its DLNA/MPD mode with minimserver running on a Windows 10 computer and Bubbleupnp as a remote control. Does anyone here have an opinion on whether using HQPlayer with the microrendu would be any better in terms of sound quality? I have no interest in upsampling or anything fancy --- I just play music at native sampling rates. Thanks. -- David

The primary reason for using HQP is for conversion (PCM > DSD) and/or upsampling so you would be wasting your money for the most part on HQP if you do not plan to use these features.

Have you tried HQP to convert and/or upsample? Amazing stuff.

Having just switched from Mininserver/Jplay/Bubble combo to Roon/HQPlayer I can say without a doubt there is a big improvement. This is with no DSD conversion. If you are going to use HQPlayer I highly advise taking advantage of its filters.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

The primary reason for using HQP is for conversion (PCM > DSD) and/or upsampling so you would be wasting your money for the most part on HQP if you do not plan to use these features.

Have you tried HQP to convert and/or upsample? Amazing stuff.

Eric, cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.