IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

They do have some 6700 ones:

https://world.taobao.com/item/531643469082.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.DdexaV#detail

https://world.taobao.com/item/15736701613.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.DdexaV

But unfortunately not fanless. They also look like gaming PC's.

If you browse the site and come across some fanless ones you are able to recommend, please give me a shout out.

Thanks

Well you should look for a quad core processor that is current generation. The 3770s is from two generations ago. Try to fine a quad core processor from 5th or 6th generation with a TDP that is less than whatever capabilities your fanless case of choice can handle. For example, my case can dissipate up to 95W of heat. The i7-6700 is a good choice.

Here is a link that compares all the current 6th gen i7 processors:

6th Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7 Processors

You can see the list price for each. Not a huge difference lets say between the 6700 and 6700K.

BTW, thanks for the link to that website. I've been looking for a cheap PC to use as an NAA and the ones I see on the site look like a great price!

They do have some 6700 ones:

https://world.taobao.com/item/531643469082.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.DdexaV#detail

https://world.taobao.com/item/15736701613.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.DdexaV

But unfortunately not fanless. They also look like gaming PC's.

If you browse the site and come across some fanless ones you are able to recommend, please give me a shout out.

Thanks

Since this is the NAA thread, one assumes they are going to use an NAA with these choices in the last few posts. Why is fanless a must? HQP machines can be in another room (a real advantage of the NAA).

I was comparing it to a Sonic Orbiter spec'ed for HQ Player and it is fanless. They do not specify which i7 processor though.

Since this is the NAA thread, one assumes they are going to use an NAA with these choices in the last few posts. Why is fanless a must? HQP machines can be in another room (a real advantage of the NAA).

Yes, thanks, I know. My question was about why fanless is important if you are using an NAA with it. (and that implies: if you are not using an NAA with it, why is it on this thread :) ).

I have no idea if it matters but i dont like the idea of a fan in my server pc because of electrical noise 'possibly' impacting the sound quality. Also, even though I am going to use an NAA I need to keep the server pc in the same room because all my power improvement devices (AC regenerator, LPS) are in there.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes, I agree with this.

I was weighing up the costs of getting a microRendu for NAA with a Sonic Transporter substitute to run Roon and/or HQ Player. This is why I asked in this thread.

Also, on Audiostream, Michael Lavorgna tested an Intel NUC and a Sonic Transporter both with microRendu as NAA and found the stripped down, fanless latter better. I don't know if this is due to it being fanless or not but presume fan equals more noise.

I have no idea if it matters but i dont like the idea of a fan in my server pc because of electrical noise 'possibly' impacting the sound quality. Also, even though I am going to use an NAA I need to keep the server pc in the same room because all my power improvement devices (AC regenerator, LPS) are in there.

Speaking of NAA and power - As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I've got a SEEED BeagleBone Green Wireless Board I intend to use as an NAA. I was thinking about powering it with a 5v iFi iPower, but they're on backorder here in the US. So I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for an inexpensive but good quality linear 5v ~1.5A power supply (the BBGW was $40 and the iFi sells for $50 when it's in stock, so I don't intend to spend a lot on a linear alternative).

Though this is a great area for DIY, I'd prefer not having to spend the time putting something together.

Thoughts?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes, I agree with this.

I was weighing up the costs of getting a microRendu for NAA with a Sonic Transporter substitute to run Roon and/or HQ Player. This is why I asked in this thread.

Also, on Audiostream, Michael Lavorgna tested an Intel NUC and a Sonic Transporter both with microRendu as NAA and found the stripped down, fanless latter better. I don't know if this is due to it being fanless or not but presume fan equals more noise.

There's more to it than that.

There's more to it than that.

Care to elaborate? Are you saying I cannot get away with using a cheaper substitute for the Sonic Transporter and achieve a similar quality? If so, the whole microRendu proposition looks too expensive for me to consider.

Thanks

Are their any chances that we will see a HQ player plugin that works with Roon ?That way you don't have two programs operating at the same time .

Curious what you hope to achieve with this? Convenience?

At least for me, I have it set for my server pc to start both Roonserver and HQP automatically so its no big deal for me that there are 2 separate programs running.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Curious what you hope to achieve with this? Convenience?

At least for me, I have it set for my server pc to start both Roonserver and HQP automatically so its no big deal for me that there are 2 separate programs running.

Well convenience but running HQ and Roon on my Mac is a little finicky . Playing Roon by itself is flawless .

Just wondering if a plugin would be more seamless

Well convenience but running HQ and Roon on my Mac is a little finicky . Playing Roon by itself is flawless .

Just wondering if a plugin would be more seamless

Got it...well thats what you get for being a MAC guy! just kidding...I have some hiccups with HQP on Windows as well sometimes which requires me to restart. Any inconvenience is definitely worth it because of the sound quality though.

Other components:

Got it...well thats what you get for being a MAC guy! just kidding...I have some hiccups with HQP on Windows as well sometimes which requires me to restart. Any inconvenience is definitely worth it because of the sound quality though.

Maybe a plugin could reduce resources needed on your computer .

Roon is resource hungry but I love the program .

Previously I tried a Raspberry Pi3 as an NAA but was not impressed with the result. I have an old Acer Atom D525d based pc that was running Windows 7 and not really being used. I decided to take advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade (bad idea for Atom processors) and try to use the Acer as an NAA in my system. The Acer has no optimizations at all other than being powered by my linear power supply. It has a regular hdd (not SSD) and a cooling fan so as you can imagine it is not very well suited for music. Both my server pc running HQP + Roon and the NAA are located in my music room. They are both connected to my wireless bridge.

Initial impressions is that the sound quality remains unchanged however there is now more weight and "meat" to the music. Its like the individual instruments exist more solidly in their own space with a 3D realism. I need to listen more and so far I am very happy with this simple improvement. It makes me wonder if I can get more gains by using fanless pc with SSD, software optimization, etc....looks like I will be getting another toy soon!

Other components:

It makes me wonder if I can get more gains by using fanless pc with SSD, software optimization, etc....looks like I will be getting another toy soon!

Win10 can be booted and running from USB stick. I would try that and disconnect your HDD. Officially Microsoft supports to create 'Windows To Go' installation on USB stick only for Win10 Enterprise edition, but using Win10 installation media and free tool you can create USB bootable Win10 installation on USB stick for any Win10 edition (and not only Win10).

Best Windows To Go Creator to create bootable Windows 10/8.1/8/7 USB drive!

WiNToBootic - the ultimate Windows USB Boot Disk Maker

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Speaking of NAA and power - As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I've got a SEEED BeagleBone Green Wireless Board I intend to use as an NAA. I was thinking about powering it with a 5v iFi iPower, but they're on backorder here in the US. So I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for an inexpensive but good quality linear 5v ~1.5A power supply (the BBGW was $40 and the iFi sells for $50 when it's in stock, so I don't intend to spend a lot on a linear alternative).

Though this is a great area for DIY, I'd prefer not having to spend the time putting something together.

Thoughts?

If 1A would be enough, you can consider STONTRONICS - S2226ST - AC-DC LINEAR PSU, 5V 1A UNIVERSAL | CPC UK

It is out of production, but I found it still for example on amazon.co.uk.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=STONTRONICS++S2226ST

I am using it to inject power to USB cable, which connects PC with my DAC.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Win10 can be booted and running from USB stick. I would try that and disconnect your HDD. Officially Microsoft supports to create 'Windows To Go' installation on USB stick only for Win10 Enterprise edition, but using Win10 installation media and free tool you can create USB bootable Win10 installation on USB stick for any Win10 edition (and not only Win10).

Best Windows To Go Creator to create bootable Windows 10/8.1/8/7 USB drive!

WiNToBootic - the ultimate Windows USB Boot Disk Maker

Thank you Bogi. Which of the 2 links would you suggest using?

Other components:

Thank you Bogi. Which of the 2 links would you suggest using?

I found as very easy to use the second one WiNToBootic - the ultimate Windows USB Boot Disk Maker

Do not forget to check [x] Make WindowsToGo, otherwise it would create bootable Windows installation USB stick instead of installing Windows on USB stick.

I am wondering if this Combination of HDPlex 100w +160W DC-ATX could be or even "Should be" used to power my NAA PC?

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-Linear-CAPS-19V-Adjustable-Faceplate/dp/B00J40ES8W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470324195&sr=8-4&keywords=linear+power+5V

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V/dp/B00KVWHUXW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51CsquybFTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=DT6N77950T6FD8WP9XDP

Basically I would take the 19v output from the 100W linear and input it into the HD-Plex DC-ATX board and not using it's 160w supply.

The only thing I will have connected is a Z170 motherboard w/Intel i3-6100 CPU + motherboard mounted Samsung M.2 SSD

The CPU fan and 1 chassis fan is run from a separate DC power brick.

I am wondering if this Combination of HDPlex 100w +160W DC-ATX could be or even "Should be" used to power my NAA PC?

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-Linear-CAPS-19V-Adjustable-Faceplate/dp/B00J40ES8W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470324195&sr=8-4&keywords=linear+power+5V

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V/dp/B00KVWHUXW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51CsquybFTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=DT6N77950T6FD8WP9XDP

Basically I would take the 19v output from the 100W linear and input it into the HD-Plex DC-ATX board and not using it's 160w supply.

The only thing I will have connected is a Z170 motherboard w/Intel i3-6100 CPU + motherboard mounted Samsung M.2 SSD

The CPU fan and 1 chassis fan is run from a separate DC power brick.

Absolutely this would work. I have both the 160W DC-ATX as well as the larger 300W HD Plex ATX supply. I am big believer in clean power.

Other components:

I finally installed HQPlayer (trial) + NAA in my system a couple days ago.

I must say it has been a learning curve.

What I WANTED to do was install HQPlayer on my heavy lifting HTPC with the i7-6700K + GTX1070

The HTPC machine has a dual port Intel X520 10Gb fiber card.

My NAA also has a 10Gb fiber card connected directly to the HTPC.

The HTPC 2 10GB ports were bridged so that the NAA could connect to the HTPC without me running another fiber under the house to the switch. This works as long as I use a static IP outside the DHCP on my router.

Both computers work on the network and the internet and I can remote desktop to the NAA.

....but HQPlay will not find the NAA when configured this way..... go figure.... the HTPC can ping the NAA and everything but still no go. Instead I used the Intel onboard gigabit 219 on the NAA Z170 mobo. This at least works...

Right now my biggest issue is I cannot get any reasonable volume from this setup. I have to turn up the volume on my preamp to at least 2 O'clock for a soft listening session. Mostly I am between 75 & 100% volume. With Foobar2000 and the DAC I would never need to go more than 12 noon for VERY LOUD!!!

What am I missing????

Also I cannot see the settings in HQPlayer because the font sizes are all wrong and push outside the config box.

thanks

Right now my biggest issue is I cannot get any reasonable volume from this setup. I have to turn up the volume on my preamp to at least 2 O'clock for a soft listening session. Mostly I am between 75 & 100% volume. With Foobar2000 and the DAC I would never need to go more than 12 noon for VERY LOUD!!!

What am I missing????

Also I cannot see the settings in HQPlayer because the font sizes are all wrong and push outside the config box.

thanks

Did you adjust the volume in HQP?

Other components:

Did you adjust the volume in HQP?

Yes.

I even went to the settings where I set the Vol Min and Vol Max in order not to go into clipping.

The final thing I did last night was to take the NAA out of the equation and connect my DAC back the way it used to be connected (to the HTPC directly).

Volume levels returned to normal when I removed the NAA and using ASIO I am able to upsample to 384k. Using WASAPI I can only do 192k upsampling.

My Gustard X20u does do DSD but I could not get it to work when NAA connected. HQPlayer would stream data but there was no sound from the DAC when NAA connected.