IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

As root, you can check "systemctl status networkaudiod". You can enable it to be started at boot using "systemctl enable networkaudiod".

I have followed your instructions and now HQ Player "fails to open device".

I shutdown the Pi, started it up and now I get a ACTIVE:FAILED message when I type "systemctl status networkaudiod.service".

I then typed "systemctl start networkaudiod", then chechked with "systemctl status networkaudiod.service" and it says ACTIVE: ACTIVE (RUNNING) but HQ Player still says "fails to open device".

It's ruined... :(

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have followed your instructions and now HQ Player "fails to open device".

I shutdown the Pi, started it up and now I get a ACTIVE:FAILED message when I type "systemctl status networkaudiod.service".

I then typed "systemctl start networkaudiod", then chechked with "systemctl status networkaudiod.service" and it says ACTIVE: ACTIVE (RUNNING) but HQ Player still says "fails to open device".

It's ruined... :(

Did you use sudo systemctl? If so I would try that. Also, check out this link that shows other systemctl commands you can run to check whats happening.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-systemctl-to-manage-systemd-services-and-units

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I used systemctl status networkaudiod.service.

In the meantime I shutdown the Pi, restarted and even though Miska's command didn't work I was able to connect to the HifiBerry after using sudo systemctl start networkaudiod

It looks like systemctl enable networkaudiod isn't doing it's thing at startup...

If I new how to setup WiFi and install the HifiBerry I might be able to use Miska's naa-311-raspberrypi2.zip image...

Instead I chose to use HifiBerry's installer because it installs the drivers and I can connect directly from a Mac using an Ethernet cable.

You'll have trouble finding anyone more ignorant in Unix...

R

Is there anyone using HQPlayer embedded + NAA?

If so, would this configuration work with the mRendu in NAA mode as we cannot do SSH in it?

I'd like to use HQPlayer this way controlling the music using BubbleUPnP or similar in Android.

Cheers

@Victor, any luck on this? I want to do exactly as you. My goal is to continue using Minimserver as my library management tool and BubbleUPnP as my control point and HQP as the renderer. I am not particularly strong in Linux though I can be dangerous! I was able to install HQP in Lubuntu and I think I got HQP embedded working but without a license I cannot test to see how reliable it is. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I used systemctl status networkaudiod.service.

In the meantime I shutdown the Pi, restarted and even though Miska's command didn't work I was able to connect to the HifiBerry after using sudo systemctl start networkaudiod

It looks like systemctl enable networkaudiod isn't doing it's thing at startup...

If I new how to setup WiFi and install the HifiBerry I might be able to use Miska's naa-311-raspberrypi2.zip image...

Instead I chose to use HifiBerry's installer because it installs the drivers and I can connect directly from a Mac using an Ethernet cable.

You'll have trouble finding anyone more ignorant in Unix...

R

did you try sudo systemctl enable?

Other components:

did you try sudo systemctl enable?

I did and it's not working.

This makes SSH and start networkaudiod every time I want to listen to music...

R

Hi Miska,

Does your naa-311-raspberrypi2 image receive an IP address from a DHCP server?

And will it recognise the HifiBerry DAC+?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Does your naa-311-raspberrypi2 image receive an IP address from a DHCP server?

Yes...

And will it recognise the HifiBerry DAC+?

Yes, after editing the config.txt on bootloader partition to tell about the card. Works for me with DAC+ Pro and Digi+.

Note that ARM devices generally don't have autodetection for the hardware because they don't have advanced autoconfiguring bus such as PCIexpress.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Yes...

Yes, after editing the config.txt on bootloader partition to tell about the card. Works for me with DAC+ Pro and Digi+.

Note that ARM devices generally don't have autodetection for the hardware because they don't have advanced autoconfiguring bus such as PCIexpress.

Could you please guide me in the editing of the CONFIG.TXT file?

I am assuming that this is done by inserting the SD card in the Mac's card reader and opening the file with a text editor...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Could you please guide me in the editing of the CONFIG.TXT file?

I am assuming that this is done by inserting the SD card in the Mac's card reader and opening the file with a text editor...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Personally I ssh into the Pi then edit the file using the vi command. To save enter :wq.

Other components:

Owning both (Cubox-i4Pro and Sonore MicroRendu) I can assure you that comparing you Cubox to you computer will tell you NOTHING about how a MicroRendu will sound. Would be about as valid as driving a Yugo up a hill and concluding that all compact cars are poor performers uphill.

Point taken and I understand MicroR isn't the same as Cubox et al (wasn't comparing the two), but in the context of my previous statement I wanted to get an idea of going from a "noisy/traditional" computer to something like the Cubox/SOSE.

If the Cubox can't function (for me) as a NAA with an image made for it to perform that one function, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting a SOSE much less a MicroR. However, It's probably a stretch to lump the Cubox in with the SOSE but I think my general idea is obvious, flawed or otherwise :)

It's interesting that some say emphatically the Cubox is solid / no issues (as an NAA) to having the complete opposite experience. I do understand everyone's environment/infrastructure/audio components are all different so I guess I'll chalk it up to that. FWIW - having just revamped my network with all new up to date stuff including fiber, I have to think my network is pretty solid.

My rig

Will following these steps do the job?

https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/configuring-linux-3-18-x/

Thanks,

R

Will following these steps do the job?

Only thing you need to do with the RasPi NAA image is to add one line to config.txt according to the instructions under heading "Configure device tree overlay file" there, to specify right value for "dtoverlay=".

You will find that config.txt on the media when you plug it into Windows or Mac computer. Normal text editor will do.

That's it, then you can boot up and start using it.

NAA works the same way with HQPlayer Embedded as it does with the Desktop. You don't need to do anything at NAA side, just point the HQPlayer side to use the correct NAA and output device.

Thanks, that encouraged me to try but...

I installed Debian Stretch (current version: Stretch Alpha 6 ) and when I try to follow your instructions for embedded (Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded) I get blocked because I cannot install "linux-image-rt-amd64" as that kernel does not exist for Stretch (as you can see here: https://packages.debian.org/testing/kernel/ )

Am I missing anything?

Cheers,

Victor

I installed Debian Stretch (current version: Stretch Alpha 6 ) and when I try to follow your instructions for embedded (Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded) I get blocked because I cannot install "linux-image-rt-amd64" as that kernel does not exist for Stretch (as you can see here: https://packages.debian.org/testing/kernel/ )

It is not mandatory part, just nice to have. It is one of the packages that seem to come and go, it disappeared at one point and re-appeared recently, but maybe it is gone again. Stretch is under constant change, so any some variability will be there. On a desktop machine it is not unusual to have closer to 500 packages updated weekly. There are updates coming every day.

So don't worry if it doesn't exist at the moment, just skip that part.

Only thing you need to do with the RasPi NAA image is to add one line to config.txt according to the instructions under heading "Configure device tree overlay file" there, to specify right value for "dtoverlay=".

You will find that config.txt on the media when you plug it into Windows or Mac computer. Normal text editor will do.

That's it, then you can boot up and start using it.

Thanks for all the help.

I have installed the image using sudo dd if=~/naa-311-raspberrypi2.img of=/dev/disk2 on my SD card but the R-Pi 3 is not recognized by the router or any of the macs (this is the resulting config.txt file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09589994414075845660).

I'm going to revert to the previous Jessie Lite + networkaudiod_3.1.1-27_armhf.deb image...

Best,

R

P.S.: I really need to get another SD card...

It is not mandatory part, just nice to have. It is one of the packages that seem to come and go, it disappeared at one point and re-appeared recently, but maybe it is gone again. Stretch is under constant change, so any some variability will be there. On a desktop machine it is not unusual to have closer to 500 packages updated weekly. There are updates coming every day.

So don't worry if it doesn't exist at the moment, just skip that part.

Ok, I'll do that, thanks again. Now I only need to wait to receive the license for HQPlayer Embedded.... :)

Is there anyone using HQPlayer embedded + NAA?

If so, would this configuration work with the mRendu in NAA mode as we cannot do SSH in it?

I'd like to use HQPlayer this way controlling the music using BubbleUPnP or similar in Android.

Cheers

I have the same system setup to run HQPlayer Embedded and Win10 with NAA running on a Lenovo Tiny M73 running Debian Stretch. Not having any issues. I have not done critical comparision between the Embedded v/s Win10, since the system is a dual purpose system it usually runs Win10 majority of the time. I am planning to setup the system so I can dual boot between the two system. Just need to get around to it.

I have the same system setup to run HQPlayer Embedded and Win10 with NAA running on a Lenovo Tiny M73 running Debian Stretch. Not having any issues. I have not done critical comparision between the Embedded v/s Win10, since the system is a dual purpose system it usually runs Win10 majority of the time. I am planning to setup the system so I can dual boot between the two system. Just need to get around to it.

That's good to read, thanks for chiming in. Now I only need to wait to receive the HQP embedded license to try myself.

Jussi,

Not sure whether this is better here or over in the room integration thread. I currently use room on my Mac to Dr HQ player up sampling machines which in turn send up sampled content to 2 NAAs (Sonicorbiter and microrendu) . I know that the current release of Roon provides the ability to group output so that you can send one track to multiple endpoints. Alternatively, I could imagine another solution whereby hqplayer would be able to send content to multiple NAAs each attached to their own DAC. This seems to be more computationally parsimonious. I realize this second solution would necessitate using settings that are compatible with the lesser of any DACs that are attached to the NAAs.

I'll also post this over at the roon community so Brian can see it.

Thanks,

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Miska,

Are you feeding the HifiBerry DAC+ PRO with 176.4 or 192 kHz?

I'm really very impressed with the performance of the Pi 3 / DAC+ PRO / NAA combo!

I'll soon be upgrading the wallwart to a LPSU and might even try fibre...

R

Hi guys...need some help getting this working. I have a Pi3 running Stretch.

I installed networkaudiod_3.1.1-27_armhf.deb

However, when I do the command systemctl status networkaudiod.service I see an error Failed to start Network Audio Adapter daemon. Any idea why?

Also, when I tried to upgrade to networkaudiod_3.3.1-31_armhf.deb with wget I get the error: The certificate's owner does not match the hostname signalyst.eu. Not sure what is happening because I was able to use wget to download version 3.1.1-27

EDIT: I was able to get this to work by typing networkaudiod at command prompt. Not sure why systemctl enable does not work? Also I would like to upgrade to 3.3.1-31. Help please.

Other components:

I take that back...typing networkaudiod worked only for a little bit. Playback starts for about 50 seconds but I see in SSH a bunch of errors ALSA attempting X run recovery when I try to play a song. After that, the NAA no longer shows up in HQP and then I see ALSA stop engine.

Other components:

Alright, got networkaudiod to start on my Pi3 and HQP sees it. However, all I get is static. I am using a Hifiberry Digi+.

Other components:

I'm using the Pi 3 with a hifiberry dac +.

It works as intended but I have to start networkaudiod manually every time I turn the Pi or the laptop off.

I'm using a direct Ethernet connection between the two.

R