IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I have a split second dropout near the end of every song, which occurs exactly the same amount of time from the end of the son as the time I have set for the prebuffering setting in jriver. Coincidence? I think not.

I experience the same thing and I have made as many adjustments in the software as I can imagine. I also experience the same dropouts in iTunes, in the same location.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I'm trying to make J River 21 (PC) play with my Ayre QB9 DSD. No matter what I play the QB9 displays 192. The default format in the Windows 7 Sound/Advanced under QB9 is set to 192/24 so that might be the problem. The question is what should it or J River be set to to have the QB9 reflect to actual bit rate of the files. It doesn't matter if I'm playing AIFF, DSD, wave, all with bit rates from 512 to 9600 the QB9 never changes. I'm also wondering what I need to set to get my dfd files to be recognized as DSD bitstream?

Ken Eis

I'm trying to make J River 21 (PC) play with my Ayre QB9 DSD. No matter what I play the QB9 displays 192. The default format in the Windows 7 Sound/Advanced under QB9 is set to 192/24 so that might be the problem. The question is what should it or J River be set to to have the QB9 reflect to actual bit rate of the files. It doesn't matter if I'm playing AIFF, DSD, wave, all with bit rates from 512 to 9600 the QB9 never changes. I'm also wondering what I need to set to get my dfd files to be recognized as DSD bitstream?

Hi Ken - Change your audio output to WASAPI - Ayre QB-9. My guess is you're using something like Direct Sound.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

As well as what Chris said, make sure you have allowed the audio interface to be opened in exclusive mode, and that JRMC is opening it in exclusive mode.

Without exclusive mode, it will play everything at the default sample rate. (Well, it would have to, wouldn't it?)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Watch my videos (link in signature) but first do WASAPI (tools -> options -> audio -> device), then make sure bitstream is set to DSD (tools -> options -> audio -> settings ->bitstream DSD) .

• 1 month later...

I'm using jriver 21 w/exsound e22 and 2012 mini. In core audio should I have open device or integer mode boxes checked? I had to set all buffering to the lowest settings to stop drop out, is there any down side to these setting being set this low? I'm having a problem with the jriver, it stop playing and the dac is disconnected in my mac settings. When I go to audio mini the output has moved off my dac and it takes 4 or 5 tries with shutting down the computer to get it to move back. I had the same problem when I set up jriver. I can't say for sure that the jriver shuts down first it maybe that the audio midi just moves and then the jriver shuts down?

I'm using jriver 21 w/exsound e22 and 2012 mini. In core audio should I have open device or integer mode boxes checked? I had to set all buffering to the lowest settings to stop drop out, is there any down side to these setting being set this low? I'm having a problem with the jriver, it stop playing and the dac is disconnected in my mac settings. When I go to audio mini the output has moved off my dac and it takes 4 or 5 tries with shutting down the computer to get it to move back. I had the same problem when I set up jriver. I can't say for sure that the jriver shuts down first it maybe that the audio midi just moves and then the jriver shuts down?

Yes exclusive access should be on and integer mode if your dac can handle it... for me buffers are at max... but i am Upsampling files to 352/384... and bitstreaming should be on DSD if your DAC can play DSD

Snapz003.jpg

you may have faster answer here:

JRiver Media Center 21 for Mac

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

• 1 month later...

I'm having a problem with JRiver (I think v20) and getting it to stream radio stations properly... Is anyone able to do it correctly?

I can stream a station, but it will hang up after 5-10 minutes and I have to then reconnect JRiver to the streamer to get it going again.

A little background:

---I am streaming from JRiver to a DNLA player (in this case, some Moode Pi devices). From there it goes to the stereo or through a small amp to the speakers.

---I don't have any problems playing audio from the server through the DNLA devices, so I suspect that this has something to do with JRiver losing the stream in some manner. I have had no problems getting a good feed through a Sonos system. I haven't tried going directly through the Moode player, but I want to be able to do multi-room playback, so I want this to be handled by JRiver rather than locally by Moode.

---I have JRiver running on a media server in the closet, and it is set to not go to sleep, but even so, I would think that while it is receiving a stream, it shouldn't be triggering a sleep mode? Is this something I need to investigate and look at what any of the low-power settings are doing?

Any suggestions on what may be the problem?

Thanks,

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Does anyone know how to add peak level % to custom view so when I'm playing a track it will show peak level % in display? I know it can be viewed from the DSP bottom left corner where you toggle clip protection or flatline but is there a way to add that to customize display? I have tried to create a add field but with no success.

Thank you,

Ken

Does anyone know how to add peak level % to custom view so when I'm playing a track it will show peak level % in display? I know it can be viewed from the DSP bottom left corner where you toggle clip protection or flatline but is there a way to add that to customize display? I have tried to create a add field but with no success.

Thank you,

Ken

Peak Level (Sample) and Peak Level (R128) are fields that can be added to the display (and will show as long as analyze audio is on).

Peak Level (Sample) and Peak Level (R128) are fields that can be added to the display (and will show as long as analyze audio is on).

I have tried those with no success when I type in the [Peak Level (Sample)] it doesn't show anything in the display? Okay I went into Media Import and checked Analyze audio I will report back if that works?

I just received a Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier which accepts DSD natively through it's USB input. I cannot get any DSD files to play through it however. I fear my JRiver settings are not right.

I have the following settings...

Within JRiver

Audio --> Audio Device: Parasound _ Digital Audio [Core Audio]

Audio --> DSP & output format --> Output Encoding: None

Audio --> Settings --> Bitstreaming: Yes (DSD)

Within Mac Mini

Audio Midi Setup

I chose Parasound _ Digital Audio at the left column

Output: Format: 44100.0Hz/2ch-32bit integer

I actually chose 384000.0Hz but when I go back in to the Midi settings, it is defaulted back to 44100.0Hz.

I chose these values in part based on what I've read about the Schiit Loki and eXaSound Dac setup.

Still can't playback DSD files.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

Your Jriver settings seem to be right. However, you must know that your Mac sends the DSD stream to your amp in DoP format.are you sure the Parasound accepts DoP on the USB input?

Thanks for the reponse, yes I check that already. The Parasound HINT does accept native DSD and DOP. Here is a qoute from the product sheet..."USB input decodes Native DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and DoP DSD."

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

You should be able to use bitstreaming settings.

DSD - JRiverWiki

JRiver, thank you for that info. DSD does now work. I made some changes to JRiver following the info you sent, but I think what ultimately hit the bullseye was that the Parasound needs to be power cycled (speculation at this point) after major changes to audio processing.

Thomas

Thomas Turner

• 7 months later...

Been using JRiver for about 3 years now and am still getting the hang of many things. Really looking for an offline database tool for use outside the home.

Use Gizmo as the remote but am really looking for a way to do an offline database of my library. I have 1700+ discs and have to check the library while away from home so I don't buy duplicate discs. Any suggestions? I do have a PDF output of my library list on my phone and it works but is really ugly and not searchable. Would love an app ala Gizmo or maybe JRemote that retails the albums and coverart when not connected to JRiver. Any ideas or suggestions? Am I missing something? Do either of these remotes have that capability?

Thanks

Been using JRiver for about 3 years now and am still getting the hang of many things. Really looking for an offline database tool for use outside the home.

Use Gizmo as the remote but am really looking for a way to do an offline database of my library. I have 1700+ discs and have to check the library while away from home so I don't buy duplicate discs. Any suggestions? I do have a PDF output of my library list on my phone and it works but is really ugly and not searchable. Would love an app ala Gizmo or maybe JRemote that retails the albums and coverart when not connected to JRiver. Any ideas or suggestions? Am I missing something? Do either of these remotes have that capability?

Thanks

I had a similar need a year or so ago so I output my library as a CSV file and then used an app called CSV Lite to view on my phone. No cover art but the database was searchable.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

At least two ways:

1) make entire library a playlist then export to csv. Excel reads csv files.

2) Export library to XML. In Excel go to developer tab and import XML.

Thanks

I stream from home anywhere. Thus, I use Jremote while shopping for CD's at the local stores. It's all in setting up your router. I also have the option of using Western Digital's Mycloud. Eveything that's on the NAS, is in the cloud. I use either one on my phone. Setting up your router involves some port forwarding and possible firewalls. Jriver has some threads dedicated to this, but there kind of hard to find. For me, it was trial and error until it all worked.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet