IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

At least two ways:

1) make entire library a playlist then export to csv. Excel reads csv files.

2) Export library to XML. In Excel go to developer tab and import XML.

Ted -

Thanks, I was missing the playlist conversion. BTW, your JRiver tutorials have been very helpful.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Ted -

Thanks, I was missing the playlist conversion. BTW, your JRiver tutorials have been very helpful.

Thanks for the nice words.

Yes, the playlist approach is easier in that it is fairly quick and before you hit the button make sure "only visible fields" is checked so you don't export every damn field that JRIver has to offer (hundreds). And XML import takes a very long time (depending on library size) and in fact imports all fields too.

Been using JRiver for about 3 years now and am still getting the hang of many things. Really looking for an offline database tool for use outside the home.

Use Gizmo as the remote but am really looking for a way to do an offline database of my library. I have 1700+ discs and have to check the library while away from home so I don't buy duplicate discs. Any suggestions? I do have a PDF output of my library list on my phone and it works but is really ugly and not searchable. Would love an app ala Gizmo or maybe JRemote that retails the albums and coverart when not connected to JRiver. Any ideas or suggestions? Am I missing something? Do either of these remotes have that capability?

Thanks

I use one of the tools developed by Interact user MrC. It will create an HTML catalog with cover art from any view in Media Center. You can customize captions, cover art size (thumbnail, full size, or any width/height), etc.

Example.

catalog.jpgcatalog.jpg

Been using JRiver for about 3 years now and am still getting the hang of many things. Really looking for an offline database tool for use outside the home.

Use Gizmo as the remote but am really looking for a way to do an offline database of my library. I have 1700+ discs and have to check the library while away from home so I don't buy duplicate discs. Any suggestions? I do have a PDF output of my library list on my phone and it works but is really ugly and not searchable. Would love an app ala Gizmo or maybe JRemote that retails the albums and coverart when not connected to JRiver. Any ideas or suggestions? Am I missing something? Do either of these remotes have that capability?

Thanks

I stream from home anywhere. Thus, I use Jremote while shopping for CD's at the local stores. It's all in setting up your router. I also have the option of using Western Digital's Mycloud. Eveything that's on the NAS, is in the cloud. I use either one on my phone. Setting up your router involves some port forwarding and possible firewalls. Jriver has some threads dedicated to this, but there kind of hard to find. For me, it was trial and error until it all worked.

+1, This.

I set up port forwarding on my router which allows me to listen to my library from basically anywhere in the world from my Android phone via Gizmo, and I also reference it when I am out and about buying CD's so I don't duplicate any purchases. It is easy to search in Gizmo via Artist, Album, Genre, Composer or Playlist, however it's a little buggy at times because it doesn't connect all the time...

"If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul" - Albert King

• 1 year later...

@ted_b I would like to ask you about using jRiver in Server and in Renderer NUC's.

Since the NUC Server (that has HDD) and NUC Renderer matter and this observed by Audiophiles who are using Roon as Roon Server in NUC Server and Roon Endpoint in NUC Renderer, can I use jRiver in NUC server to control jRiver in NUC renderer as same as Roon or not?

Any thoughts is highly appreciated.

Edit: The NUC Renderer actually is diskless.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

is there someone's information about JRiver’s Tidal integration? (Not the Jriver’s own browser solution, i am using my audiopc in core mode, this function doesn’t work). 

My second “wild” question :) : Tidal Family Account management in Jriver will it be available in a future?

I was hoping JRiver 24 become with integration with Tidal or Spotify. :( 

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!

Manufacturer of Core Audio equipments

www.coreaudio.eu

Source: Core Audio DAIDO ULTIMATE + CA KARUNA ULTIMATE USB/SPDIF Bridge + CA DENPO ULTIMATE DAC

Amplifiers: MBL 6010D preamp + MBL 9008A monoblocks

Loudspeakers: MBL 101emkII, YG Hailey 2.2

Cables: TARALABS USB, Muse Digit, Muse IC + ZERO Evolution, Muse SP

• 7 months later...

I'm posting a few JRiver Media Center 25.0 links here.

HDCD Support

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121124.0.html

Cloudplay (lossless streaming)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120166.0.html

iTunes Import

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120942.0.html

New in MC25

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119217.0.html

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

On 10/18/2018 at 7:21 AM, beautiful music said:

@ted_b I would like to ask you about using jRiver in Server and in Renderer NUC's.

Since the NUC Server (that has HDD) and NUC Renderer matter and this observed by Audiophiles who are using Roon as Roon Server in NUC Server and Roon Endpoint in NUC Renderer, can I use jRiver in NUC server to control jRiver in NUC renderer as same as Roon or not?

Any thoughts is highly appreciated.

Edit: The NUC Renderer actually is diskless.

Here's the page on the JRiver Id:

https://jriver.com/Id/

All of the Id's have some storage.  The Id 300 has a 120GB SSD.

They all function as a server or renderer.  

For any manufacturers who may be reading, we're announcing this today:

NEW: Blackbox Version of JRiver Media Center
Aimed at manufacturers of audio and video hardware, a new "Blackbox" version of JRiver can now be hosted on ARM hardware and provide Media Center features such as Library Server and DLNA / UPnP, without a user interface.  All control, including setup, is done from a phone, tablet, or PC.  An Android app makes it easy to find the device on a network.  JRiver has partnered with Austrian system integration company, StreamUnlimited Engineering, to build products for manufacturers.

13 minutes ago, jriver said:

Aimed at manufacturers of audio and video hardware, a new "Blackbox" version of JRiver can now be hosted on ARM hardware and provide Media Center features such as Library Server and DLNA / UPnP, without a user interface.  All control, including setup, is done from a phone, tablet, or PC.  An Android app makes it easy to find the device on a network.  JRiver has partnered with Austrian system integration company, StreamUnlimited Engineering, to build products for manufacturers.

Wow! Tell us more!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, jriver said:

Did you ever update your android app so it looks and works properly and fills a tablet screen, instead of just looking like a phone app sitting in the middle of the screen?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

57 minutes ago, firedog said:

Did you ever update your android app so it looks and works properly and fills a tablet screen, instead of just looking like a phone app sitting in the middle of the screen?

Gizmo or JRemote?  We're working on the Android version of JRemote now.

Panel is an easy to use interface that runs in any web browser.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Panel

You could try it now if you have MC installed.  Type localhost:52199 in your web browser on any machine where MC is running.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow! Tell us more!

Sure.  It's a GUI-less version of MC, intended to be used as a server or renderer on ARM hardware.  We ship it with an SSDP app for Android that makes finding it on your network easy.  Then you connect to it with a browser.  It runs a server that lets you load the webapp that allows configuration.

I know it's kind of an obscure concept, but it's a nice headless solution.

What else am I missing?

4 minutes ago, jriver said:

Sure.  It's a GUI-less version of MC, intended to be used as a server or renderer on ARM hardware.  We ship it with an SSDP app for Android that makes finding it on your network easy.  Then you connect to it with a browser.  It runs a server that lets you load the webapp that allows configuration.

I know it's kind of an obscure concept, but it's a nice headless solution.

What else am I missing?

Very cool concept. 

In essence if I use MC on a computer and streamed to a StreamUnlimited card with this built-in I’d be streaming MC to MC? If so, the DLNA issues nearly disappear. 

Or, I could just use the MC built-in and point it at a NAS and get all the features of MC?

will MC be an option for manufacturers using the Stream 800 or 820 cards, just like Google Casting, Spotify, etc... are options?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Very cool concept. 

Thanks.  It's amazing that it runs on a board with just 512MB of RAM.

In essence if I use MC on a computer and streamed to a StreamUnlimited card with this built-in I’d be streaming MC to MC? If so, the DLNA issues nearly disappear. 

Yes.  It's really MC.  Only the GUI is removed.

Or, I could just use the MC built-in and point it at a NAS and get all the features of MC?

Possibly.  We haven't implemented the remote control that would be needed, though you could probably use VNC.

This particular hardware doesn't support that, but it's doable in the future.

will MC be an option for manufacturers using the Stream 800 or 820 cards, just like Google Casting, Spotify, etc... are options?

The card is an 810 and I can't speak for StreamUnlimited on what they plan to do with it.

We think there are other hardware opportunities since it runs on such minimal equipment now.

I have a question regarding UPnP/DLNA playback of upsampled material.

As audio PC I have a Linux box with mpd (and upmpdcli for UPnP connectivity) running. When I run Audirvana on my Windows control PC it 'sees' mpd and it can send upsampled files (up to DSD256) to the Linux box and play them.

So far I have not been able to do this with MC24.

Is this at all possible?  

audio system

On 2/24/2017 at 7:40 AM, ted_b said:

At least two ways:

1) make entire library a playlist then export to csv. Excel reads csv files.

2) Export library to XML. In Excel go to developer tab and import XML.

Hi Ted_b

I am after some advice re creating an Excel file please.    I have 600+ CD's I want to sell.   They have all been converted to Flac files and are in my JRiver Library.

I have Created a new folder in Playlist call Flac.    When I go to select the files I want to import into the Folder I can find all the Flac files, but that is for every song.    I actually want to create a CSV that contains only the Artist Name and Album Name.   Once I have the 600+ IDed I can import the list into Excel as per your instructions and then add a 3rd column where I intend to put the price per CD.  

Any thoughts?

Regards Cazzesman

Cazzesman,

Have you tried this:

1) export full FLAC library list to excel (CSV)

2) using DATA tab, select "remove duplicates" and then select the columns that represent artist and album (this makes sure that two albums of the same name with two different artists show up as two albums, like Zombies - Greatest Hits and Hollies -Greatest Hits

3) you should end up with 600 entries, each with one track....delete the track columns (either before or after the work above)

On 7/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, bodiebill said:

I have a question regarding UPnP/DLNA playback of upsampled material.

As audio PC I have a Linux box with mpd (and upmpdcli for UPnP connectivity) running. When I run Audirvana on my Windows control PC it 'sees' mpd and it can send upsampled files (up to DSD256) to the Linux box and play them.

So far I have not been able to do this with MC24.

Is this at all possible?  

@ted_b Any idea? So that I can either keep on trying, or give up hope 🙂

audio system

On 7/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, ted_b said:

Cazzesman,

Have you tried this:

1) export full FLAC library list to excel (CSV)

2) using DATA tab, select "remove duplicates" and then select the columns that represent artist and album (this makes sure that two albums of the same name with two different artists show up as two albums, like Zombies - Greatest Hits and Hollies -Greatest Hits

3) you should end up with 600 entries, each with one track....delete the track columns (either before or after the work above)

Hi Ted-b,

Just an update.   Not sure if this is what you meant but I got there in the end.

I created a playlist with all Flac albums in the Library

Highlighted all the files and then hit the Add Smartlist tab.

Selected 'Album' from the Drop down menu

Then selected 'Remove all Duplicates' from the next drop down and the hit apply.

Voila!!!!!    All duplicates gone.   

My exportable list is exactly as I wanted.    Now I just need to go through and delete the ones that don't relate to the 600+ CD's I have and convert the remaining data into the XML file.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Cazzesman

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

i have a question around Loudness and Peak volume Level normalisatio when using JRiver internal volume.

I run the calibration pink noise test with no DSP or Loudness functions set. I have to turn my amp up more than when listening to music to get  83dB at the listening position.  I level my amp at that volume and that equates to 100% volume in Jriver

I turn loudness on and peak level normalisation. load up a play list and I can barely get past 70% before reaching 83dB at the listening position. at 100% volume i'm pushing 90dB+ depending on the song.

So my question is after calibration what should the peak volume be of a playlist be?

Is it impacted by tracks that are extremly quiet or loud (if so I thought peaklevel normalisation handles that?)