"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Thanks for this, I also enjoyed reading the review. The Guardian has even chosen the album to be their jazz album of the month :

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/29/jazz-album-of-the-month-john-coltrane-both-directions-at-once-the-lost-album

Reminds me somewhat how some years ago (don't remember exactly what year that was but this wasn't a particularly interesting one in music) I came to the conclusion that my personal 2 albums of the year were 'new' (not issued earlier) recordings of Trane and Miles :)

@christopher3393 Explaining my post. Over a year ago you recommended lots of interested early music on 'My Essential Classical Albums' thread. In particular Marcel Peres was a true discovery for me. I know you know a lot about this period. My question is - have you discovered some early music albums worth checking out during the past year?

2 minutes ago, Nikhil said:
1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

My question is - have you discovered some early music albums worth checking out during the past year?

Have you heard these two Bill Evans albums? 

Interesting story behind both these sessions as well

I'm a big fan of Bill Evans. I haven't heard them (yet!).

As for my question that you quoted - by 'early music' I meant:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_music

(I assume that you missed the word 'early' cause BE was definitely born too late to be included in this music 'genre' :))

44 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm a big fan of Bill Evans. I haven't heard them (yet!).

Same here.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I know the question was addressed to someone else but have you heard these two Bill Evans albums? 

bill+evans+%25E2%2580%2594+some+other+ti

418458120863-800_1024x1024.jpg?v=1505463

Both are really quite nice. Not must haves, but recommended for Bill Evans fans.

Playing one of Mozart's least known operas tonight:

z1zg82vjqvasc_600.jpg

From Qobuz. 

6 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I know the question was addressed to someone else but have you heard these two Bill Evans albums? 

bill+evans+%25E2%2580%2594+some+other+ti

418458120863-800_1024x1024.jpg?v=1505463

I have both of them and they are typical Evans.  If you like Evans (I do), you'll enjoy them.  Nothing earth-shattering, though.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

20 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Both are really quite nice. Not must haves, but recommended for Bill Evans fans.

Playing one of Mozart's least known operas tonight:

z1zg82vjqvasc_600.jpg

From Qobuz. 

Please post your observations - thinking about getting this, but kind of on the fence (not well-known to me, Villazon is not my favorite tenor . . . but generally enjoy anything Nezet-Seguin puts out).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

51 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Please post your observations - thinking about getting this, but kind of on the fence (not well-known to me, Villazon is not my favorite tenor . . . but generally enjoy anything Nezet-Seguin puts out).

I’m really not that familiar with Tito. Have seen it live once several years ago. 

So so far I like the recording overall. But it’s true Villazon has some vocal limitations these days. 

On 7/13/2018 at 12:12 AM, firedog said:

Sophisticated Giant

Newly released hi-res download. Sounds very similar to my needle drop of the original LP. A little better clarity - you can hear things like the cymbals and other percussion more clearly. 

can you compare it to the CD?

1 hour ago, biosailor said:

Call it Jazz, Fusion Jazz, Funk Jazz, whatever. It's a great groovy album!

DB_EN.jpg.7784029e19d1a2300cab2f57a419026a.jpg

Big “+1”. A fabulous album. Thanks for posting this. It's been a long time since I've played it. I've obviously been wasting my time.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

On 7/12/2018 at 2:30 PM, sphinxsix said:

71VzVurZs5L._SY355_.jpg

@christopher3393 Have you discovered something interesting as far as early music is concerned recently?

This past year I've posted anything I thought worth posting. I've been listening to more Baroque, which technically is early music. Not much medieval. A bit of late renaissance. BTW, here's a good source:  http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/remarks.html.  Also, I always check out Hyperion's latest offerings. Thanks for asking.