2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Waits is... Waits)

You can start thinking that gravel voice is only for gravel.  Then he unleashes “Old ‘55” or “Hold On,” and suddenly you are in tears....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Klavier said:

OP.130/133. Wonderfully played and recorded.

713HdB9v58L._SL500_.jpg

Thanks for posting, I have this on a wish list. How is the video content on the DVD/Blu-ray discs?

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

8 hours ago, ecmfidelity said:

Just switched DACs and got somewhat depressed of the sound, but then I listened at Hans Theessink's Songs from the Southland on Tidal and life suddenly got a whole lot of brighter :) What a voice, what a blues person. I am stunned. This is euro-american blues in a nutschell, and a male voice to die for - and a guitarrist to live for :) And fuck, what a sound!!!

IMG_0010.JPG

Thank you so much for this recommendation.  If I were to listen to this album blind, I would never guess that the singer/performer is Dutch.  Although covers, the musicianship and the vocals compete with the all-time best blues artists.  And the recording, as you aptly point out, just sounds amazing.  "And fuck, what a sound!!!"  

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.b17065e624d66326c4513a7cd6ec7cb6.JPG

My first DXD album purchase! And I love the fact that Native DSD is comping the DSD versions for us to compare (or vice versa).

Certainly the best recorded Mahler 3rd in my library. Absolutely stunnig sonics. Not sure it beats out the MTT, Zander, Chailly, or Salonen, already in my library. Time will tell.

9 hours ago, Jud said:

You can start thinking that gravel voice is only for gravel.  Then he unleashes “Old ‘55” or “Hold On,” and suddenly you are in tears....

He sounds a lot better than present day Dylan....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Ashkenazy, Previn, Jansons

So a Russian leads off your exemplary list of recommendations meant to instill in me the worth of non-Russian interpreters of this work?  Janson's recordings with the St. Petersburg Phil. book ending this remonstration leads me to assume you are poking fun in some farcical manner.  Tersely.

035-violin-concertos-by-black-composers-

16 hours ago, BacHolz said:

Thanks for posting, I have this on a wish list. How is the video content on the DVD/Blu-ray discs?

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. To be honest, I forgot that there is actual concert footage, not just the Quartets in Blu-ray audio! 

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

49 minutes ago, Klavier said:

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. To be honest, I forgot that there is actual concert footage, not just the Quartets in Blu-ray audio! 

Then I'm pleased to have set you on that path. At your leisure, please share your impressions.know wha

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:03 PM, rando said:

So a Russian leads off your exemplary list of recommendations meant to instill in me the worth of non-Russian interpreters of this work?  Janson's recordings with the St. Petersburg Phil. book ending this remonstration leads me to assume you are poking fun in some farcical manner.  Tersely.

035-violin-concertos-by-black-composers-

There is a difference between Russian and Soviet. Kitaenko belongs to Soviet performing tradition, which is worthless in Rachmaninov symphonies case, imho. 

Thank you for the clarification.  Even if it is one I'm loathe to discuss at length here where it could easily prove disruptive.  

Now then, let's see who wants to deconstruct Bruckner & Skrowaczewski - Symphony No. 4 'Romantic'.   x-D

MI0001102268.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Transcriptions of lute, keyboard works (WTC, Inventions, French Suite No.2), and Concerto for 2 Violins BWV 1054 (joined by a string quartet). Brilliant playing--pretty good sound.

51aJ1NsTMhL._SS500.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22