Each recording by Vilde Frang generates the well-deserved interest. The Sibelius/Prokofiev and Korngold/Britten releases a few years ago were remarkable. The just-released recording of the Beethoven concerto impresses with its freshness, cheerfulness and lightness. The orchestra, led by another violinist, Pekka Kuusisto, is entirely appropriate.

image.thumb.png.f8ef67ebafad5682f800b725bcddbca2.png

Composer, instrumentalist and conductor Thomas Adès with his cycle of Beethoven Symphonies. The set also includes several works by contemporary composer Gerald Barry. So far I have only listened to the Beethoven material, Symphonies 3, 5, 7 and 9. Impressed in the best possible way. Will go back to the set, will try Barry as well, though with some cautiousness...)

https://open.qobuz.com/album/n4v490ww37zza

image.thumb.png.328a8588eb8da8de0af59831fb7474c8.png

Pretty obvious thing to do, since I'm using a cheap DVD player to read CDs, but I just never thought about it before - how about trying an ordinary concert DVD? So,

Primary

Yep. Full, rich sound, invisible speakers, all the good stuff - in just stereo. No connection yet to a video device, obviously the current TV - down the track. But the music does enough to not need the visuals ...