11 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I have no gapless issues using HQPlayer client.

That’s because using HQP Client you’re not using upnp.

12 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I do keep having very short 'gapless' interrupts , with  Jplay for IOS/HQplayer

I’ve solved all gapless little issues using the environment variables Jussi pointed me to:

======

HQPLAYER_RESET_SDM=0

HQPLAYER_STREAM_FREEWHEEL=1

HQPLAYER_BUFFER_TIME=5000

=======

HQPLAYER_BUFFER_TIME is expressed in milliseconds and must be a multiple of 100

To use them you need to edit /etc/default/hqplayerd file.

You can use nano editor for this, be sure to work with root rights, to do this follow these commands (if you are in a HQP embedded ssh session):

su root

nano /etc/default/hqplayerd

be aware that the first time you edit the file it doesn’t exist, so you’ll not find it, it will be created by nano.

Restart HQPlayer embedded after editing the file.

You can read more on these variables in this thread

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Seems logical, but why is it the only player that has issues with this album?

perhaps because Minimserver uses the UPNP protocol contrary to other players that read the file/s directly from the file system.
The UPNP transmission is very similar to that used by streaming services, in fact an http address is used which is transmitted to the renderer which then requests it from the server

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

perhaps because Minimserver uses the UPNP protocol contrary to other players that read the file/s directly from the file system.
The UPNP transmission is very similar to that used by streaming services, in fact an http address is used which is transmitted to the renderer which then requests it from the server

Strictly speaking there is no UPnP communication between UPnP media servers (such as Minimserver) and UPnP renderers, ie, it is all HTTP streaming ('transmission') rather than any such UPnP 'transmission'.

The communication for streaming between UPnP media server and UPnP renderer is not just very similar to that used by online streaming services, it is the same - with the UPnP media server being the HTTP server and the UPnP renderer being the HTTP client. Hence the reason why UPnP renderers are able to stream music file tracks directly from TIDAL's & Qobuz's online servers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 8/14/2023 at 4:23 PM, stefano_mbp said:

It’s not a Minimserver “issue” but a choice in JPlay, Minimserver can read Artist and AlbumArtist (note the tag name whiteout blanks) but unfortunately JPlay does fill Artists with Artist tag metadata.

This is true in My Library and Local Network Artists view

image.thumb.jpeg.890a6cd4e4deb5de0bcd79fccda81abf.jpeg

AlbumArtist tag is shown only in album details view

image.thumb.jpeg.cbac817278f460182fe8752607c049eb.jpeg

A workaround could be to use the Artist.merge property in Minimserver tagValue option that should be as follow:

Artist.merge={AlbumArtist}

in this way Artist and AlbumArtist will be merged in the Artist tag.

To use this property the paid Minimserver is needed.

With the help of simoncn on the minimserver forum, I have finally been able to deal with my major issue with Jplay for Ios, which was the use of AlbumArtist instead of Artist.

In fact the workaround is to use Artist.replace={AlbumArtist}   (instead of Artist.merge)

Now I have about 2000 artists less to scroll through, and thins start to become manageable again.

At least I can now restart evaluating Jplay for Ios in a positive mindset.

Dirk

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a bit of chat on the Antipodes users community forum about getting JPLAY to work with Squeeze server (LMS) and Squeeze Player by using a UPnP/DLNA plug in for Squeeze. Some have got this to work but say the plug in is limited to 16 bit. I personally haven't got it to work at all.

Has anyone any experience of getting this to work or another way of using JPLAY to control Squeeze because I would be VERY interested if JPLAY could be made to work with Squeeze because of the very much better (in my opinion) sound quality of Squeeze compared to MinimSever and MPN player (which does however run faultlessly on my Antipodes Oladra controlled by JPLAY on my iPad).

I attach screen shots from JPLAY trying to be used with LMS server and Squeeze player.

IMG_1281.thumb.png.a11013ba39d638df1fbba95a482dfa18.png

IMG_1282.thumb.png.72c58eb7338cb8ce956721bf0ffa1a1c.png

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

I haven't tried this for awhile because of the 16 bit limitation, but, when I had the LMS DLNA server plug-in operational, I recall that JPlay picked it up as a server on my pick list and would import the library. Unfortunately, I have so many hires files that  it wasn't long before I switched back to minimserver and JRiver as servers. (Those both have issues, as well, but they are unrelated to file format.)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

21 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

There has been a bit of chat on the Antipodes users community forum about getting JPLAY to work with Squeeze server (LMS) and Squeeze Player by using a UPnP/DLNA plug in for Squeeze. Some have got this to work but say the plug in is limited to 16 bit. I personally haven't got it to work at all.

Has anyone any experience of getting this to work or another way of using JPLAY to control Squeeze because I would be VERY interested if JPLAY could be made to work with Squeeze because of the very much better (in my opinion) sound quality of Squeeze compared to MinimSever and MPN player (which does however run faultlessly on my Antipodes Oladra controlled by JPLAY on my iPad).

Unlike the similarly named (but not for same purpose) UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin, the old UPnP/DLNA Media Interface LMS plugin has not been supported for years, so you're likely to encounter bugs with it, unfortunately. Doubly so, as you appear to be using its (rarely used) UPnP/DLNA renderer emulation function for your Oladra's Squeezelite player, so not just its (better known) UPnP/DLNA media server function for the Logitech Media Server.

You'll probably get the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin to work much better with an actual UPnP/DLNA renderer, so using the Oladra's MPD (via upmpdcli) player instead of its Squeezelite player - though this is probably moot, given your opinion of Squeezelite's audio quality superiority over MPD. 

Can you not simply use LMS's built-in Squeeze player controller (via any web browser app) on your iPad, instead of JPLAY?

You should get a pretty decent UI via the popular & very well maintained Material Skin LMS plugin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin. 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Unlike the similarly named (but not for same purpose) UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin, the old UPnP/DLNA Media Interface LMS plugin has not been supported for years, so you're likely to encounter bugs with it, unfortunately. Doubly so, as you appear to be using its (rarely used) UPnP/DLNA renderer emulation function for your Oladra's Squeezelite player, so not just its (better known) UPnP/DLNA media server function for the Logitech Media Server.

You'll probably get the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin to work much better with an actual UPnP/DLNA renderer, so using the Oladra's MPD (via upmpdcli) player instead of its Squeezelite player - though this is probably moot, given your opinion of Squeezelite's audio quality superiority over MPD. 

Can you not simply use LMS's built-in Squeeze player controller (via any web browser app) on your iPad, instead of JPLAY?

You should get a pretty decent UI via the popular & very well maintained Material Skin LMS plugin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin. 

Thanks for your time taken to reply. It is appreciated.

Indeed I am too heavily bought in to the superior (to my ears) sound of Squeeze compared to MPD that for the time being I will cancel my subscription to JPLAY and revert to using Material and iPeng with the LMS server and Squeeze player on my Oladra.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

• 1 month later...

Just posting to say thanks for this context - LMS seems to stand the sound quality test of time, for those who care to fuss about such matters. I wish I could get JPlay to play better but these posts seem to suggest it's fundamentally UPnP and Minimserver. I'm referring to file access more than sound quality, but my experience with LMS a while back suggested it was the best sounding of the various servers I auditioned at the time (I don't recall all of them now).

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

2 hours ago, agisthos said:

But you say LMS is even better than MinimServer?

@Fourlegs MinimServer is a UPNP mediaserver and not a player, therefore it doesn’t make sense to compare it to LMS, maybe you could say that LMS is better than MPD that is the actual player when using any UPNP mediaserver … but not only … as MPD is used by, for example, Volumio and moOde too.

FYI you can use Minimserver with LMS configuring the Remote Music Libraries plugin, in this way you can have the best of both worlds: the best library manager (Minimserver) and the best player (LMS/Squeezelite)

Stefano

My audio system

So Logitechmediaserver (LMS) is not a server its a player? And cannot be compared to Minimserver because that's not a player?

The one I could not compare to the others was Linn's Kazoo media server, could not get it working on the QNAP. Although I may have another go later. JPlay is the best sounding control app but it also helps to use the best sounding media server software. They do vary in sound quality just like the app.

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

So Logitechmediaserver (LMS) is not a server its a player? And cannot be compared to Minimserver because that's not a player?

LMS is a server and a player (LMS is the server and Squeezelite is the player) but Minimserver is a server only and doesn’t have a player

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

The one I could not compare to the others was Linn's Kazoo media server, could not get it working on the QNAP

Linn Kazoo mediaserver is Windows/Mac only and cannot run on Linux (Qnap OS is a customized Linux)

Stefano

My audio system

Just wanted to share how much I enjoy this application. 
I have fidata server and Sonore opticalrendu .

this combines both sources together, looks awesome and runs faster than native fidata app. 

I’m thinking to try running it off iPad and using iPad Ethernet dongle to avoid WiFi . 
im also finding that Sonore is able to cache song from qoubos , 

Anybody knows the size of the cache for opticalrendu ? I’m trying to understand how it’s able to continue playback after network is unplugged from it . 

• 1 month later...

New JPLAY iOS App Update Brings TIDAL MAX Integration!

tidalmax.thumb.jpg.3ce1ab61868ae2900f9cc6f04dcda5c7.jpgJPLAY_TidalMAX.thumb.jpg.926a7aae8dc767e3bf4816478e2207b7.jpg

Hey everyone,

I'm super excited to share some great news for all JPLAY iOS app users out there! The latest JPLAY app update (version 1.0.14) has just rolled out, and it's a game-changer – we now have TIDAL MAX integration!

For those who are keen on high-fidelity audio, TIDAL MAX is a real treat. It delivers audio quality up to 24-bit, 192 kHz, which is a step up even from TIDAL Master.

If you're looking to take your music experience to the next level, make sure to update your JPLAY app to the latest version. It's available now in the App Store for devices running iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS (M1 CPU or later).

Here’s the link to get it: https://apps.apple.com/pl/app/jplay/id1608773457

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this update!

Cheers!

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder