On 2/17/2024 at 8:18 AM, dericchan1 said:

@Marcin_gps hello Marvin, question re: jplay iOS, I thought jplay iOS was supposed to be just transferring qobuz tracks to the upnp renderer - in my case, hqplayer embedded. Is it normal that I can actually control volume from jplay iOS ?? I just found out the volume bar is not at max and can be adjust up or down.

Thanks

Deric

IMG_8972.jpeg

You can control volume from the app if Audio Output (renderer) supports it :) 

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 2/17/2024 at 1:31 PM, JazzDoc2 said:

I use JPLAY Femto in dual PC configuration with Audiophile Optimizer 3 and oryaaaaa's ExtremeStabilizer112

I have tried a number of server apps but not those.  I had some display anomalies in JPlay iOS, but the ones with JRiver were the ones that were most extreme.  Unfortunately, JRiver is my preferred front end, so I decided just to continue to stream either directly from it to my Rendu or through HQPlayer Embedded OS.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Recently completely shifted from LMS/Squeezlite to Jplay (& MinimServer) to control both my main system (MPD/Upmpdcli based), as well as for local playback via my iPad Pro (via iBasso D16). Could not be happier! However, I do have a couple of questions/issues. Please forgive me if some of them have been addressed previously/elsewhere.

• Under "Local Network", when I favourite an album, history seems to be cleared. IOW, swiping to the right or clicking the back button brings me to the top of my album list instead of the previous position. I do not see a functional reason for this behaviour, or am I missing something?
  • The alphabet next to the scrollbar is relatively small, aka difficult to click on, and stays on screen for a short time. Would appreciate an easier to access implementation.
  • The touch-zone for the sort button next to search seems a bit too wide, as clicking on the clear button in the search box quite often triggers the sort pop-up screen. Maybe it's just me...
  • I personally hate animations, it's the first feature I turn of in every OS I use. But regardless of my personal opinion, animations in Jplay are reeaallyy slow ;)
  • I looked everywhere, but cannot find a favourites shortcut for Local Network (only for all music combined). Whereas, Qobuz has its own dedicated link.
  • I bought a decent amount of albums via Qobuz, now stored locally. But they now appear twice: both under Qobuz and Local Network. Is there an option to exclude them from the Qobuz sync?
  • Occasionally, I also use Jplay on my Mac. Two issues/challenges I experienced:
    • Minor: Jplay says iPad instead of Mac (under Audio Output) ;)
    • Serious: automatic sample rate setting does not seem to be working. It works on my iPad, though not on my Mac. Used to work when I still had Squeezelite installed, it's definitely not the D16 device (or any other dongle). I now have to use Audio Midi Setup app to set the correct sample rate, which is a bit inconvenient.

Anyways,  thanks for making such a great app!

Using JPLAY for iOS for 1.5 weeks now, the end of the - too short - trial period is coming up. So I am (a) not in a position yet to report observations with appropriate diligence, but I also feel (b) slightly indifferent about shelling out 50€ for the first year.

I am running JPLAY for iOS (starting with v 1.0.14, v 1.0.15 now) on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 512 GB - I figure that‘s not underpowered in any way.

I am occasionally observing peculiar behaviors of the scrubbing bar on the Now Playing screen and the two time numbers. Maybe I see this since v 1.0.15 only (which brought a scrubbing bar to the mini player, which I don‘t get on my iPhone), but I am not sure. I see strange numbers when scrubbing forward:

- I saw a number of tracks run significantly longer than their total time, i.e. e.g. a 12-min song ran to 14 mins after scrubbing forward some amount within the track.

- I saw a song displaying the total time of the previous song as the current position (left number) for half a minute or so until it got to grips and displayed the correct 0:30 or so.

- A very few times I had the feeling that the dot on the scrubbing bar might be placed incorrectly, e.g. 50% of the total time didn‘t look like 50% of the scrubbing bar.

The audio didn‘t go wrong as far as I listened, only the time figures. I could understand when time figures would lag a few seconds at most, but not those grossly erroneous figures.

Please understand me correctly: I am a novice user of UPnP, and a very new user of JPLAY for iOS. I do see a great sense and pleasure in using JPLAY, but I also feel there a little way to walk before that happens no fully.

I guess all I‘m asking is: Does anybody else observe quirks in the time numbers display on the Now Playing screen?

On 2/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Mike Rubin said:

I have tried a number of server apps but not those.  I had some display anomalies in JPlay iOS, but the ones with JRiver were the ones that were most extreme.  Unfortunately, JRiver is my preferred front end, so I decided just to continue to stream either directly from it to my Rendu or through HQPlayer Embedded OS.

I found, consistently, native Jriver uPNP SQ about less than average, 3/5 compared with Audirvana, Jplay/Minimserver. Uninstalled JPLAY a few months ago, used Audirvana Studio over Origin to listen to Qobuz for discovery, but local file searching, browsing on Studio is poor compared with Origin. Just yesterday re-installed JPlay / Minimserver, as the main go to, for me, a lot of the bugs from JPLAY are gone now and it's easy to slide into JPLAY.

Still use Jriver controlled by a phone to a Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom, works well that way, not as resolving, therefore covers errors with aplomb 😀

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I’m running the trial period of JPLAY controlling a Lumin U2, and I must say I really like the user experience and also the sound quality from this app. Much more than both the Lumin app and Roon. However, there are a couple of things I find to be potential show stoppers. 

These are:

1. The “Next/Previous Track” function is not working when using the Lumin remote control (volume is working)

2. Things I do in the iPhone JPLAY app is not synchronised with the JPLAY APP on my iPad. 

Are there ways to accomplish these two things, that I am not aware of? If not, are these planned features that will be available some time in the future?

44 minutes ago, atlerovik said:

2. Things I do in the iPhone JPLAY app is not synchronised with the JPLAY APP on my iPad. 

That’s because JPlay is a upnp app while Lumïn app is upnp/openhome app:

• in openhome the whole play queue addresses are sent in a time to the renderer
  • in upnp just one track address is sent at a time

For the same reason if you close JPlay (swipe off) music will stop playing while this doesn’t happens using Lumïn app

Stefano

My audio system

On 2/28/2024 at 3:33 AM, atlerovik said:

1. The “Next/Previous Track” function is not working when using the Lumin remote control (volume is working)

When I have time, I'll check the next track behavior and see if there's anything that can be done (no guarantee).  Previous track from Lumin remote control is likely impossible unless JPlay supports OpenHome.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Despite the issue with scrubbing I posted here just above, I do feel JPLAY for iOS is a great app. Thanks for creating it, @Marcin_gps!

I am currently contemplating some future aspects to increase my pleasure, a.o. using an iPad as control point instead of my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I‘d like to get some recommends and considerations from the community:

- Does JPLAY run on any iPad, excluding maybe the oldest ones?

- Which specs should I take into account, and in which order?

- - 1. Processing power, thus M2 chip?

- - 2. RAM space?

- - 3. Storage? How much, 256 or 512 GB?

- - 4. Guess I don‘t need cellular, just WiFi

- - 5. Screen size?

- - 6. Longevity, in particular the prospects of receiving OS upgrades / updates for how long

- - 7. New model around the corner in fall 2024?

If you guessed that this hints at the current iPad Pro 11" (Fall 2022, with 256 or 512 GB), then you guessed correctly.

Thanks a lot in advance for any recommendations you could give, and - maybe even more important - any caveats like which models to avoid wrt JPLAY for iOS.

@111MilesToGo I’m using JPlay on my iPad 5 gen/128GB and iPhone 7 without any issue.

The app and the db need around 1.8GB (my library is 8TB) of storage, no difference than iPhone, each db backup uses around 780MB more storage.

It is compatible with any iPad/iPhone since iOS/iPadOS 12.

No need of cellular connection.

An entry level iPad is more than enough, no need at all of a Pro version (for this specific use)

Using JPlay on iPad is … another world …

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, Marcin_gps said:

JPLAY 1.0.16 is now available!

- Add track to playlist from player, mini-player and lists;

- Mark track as favorite from player, mini-player and lists;

- UI/UX improvements;

- Bug fixes;

Great to know about the update. Just in time now that I have my upnp hub setup!! 
cheers

I‘d like to say today that I‘m more and more happy with JPLAY for iOS. I get my streaming services, and - finally - I got my local library back by accessing it the way I want (i.e. including folder view without that fanatic "no no never" point of view taken by "you know who" until very recently …).

@Marcin_gps, I would like to repeat my feature request: Please think about providing a true Stop button on the Now Playing screen in addition to the Pause button. Maybe an additional button, maybe give the Pause button two roles as Pause via normal tap and Stop via long-press or double-tap, whatever is best in line with common iOS GUI practices.

My reason behind this is that I use JPLAY to also control an MPD player on my Linux computer. Leaving MPD paused at the end of a listening session looks a bit awkward to me.

I'm not sure if this feature is available, but are you able to resize cover art.  I am currently using JPlay on my Mac Studio and am using my large screen TV as a monitor.  The cover art is quite small and would like to make it bigger.  In addition, would you consider the ability to display both the front and back covers of an album?

41 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

@Marcin_gps I am current using jplay iOS to MPD in linux. When I pressed pause in jplay iOS, it still play some stuttered sound for a few seconds. Is that normal or something to do with buffering?

Thanks

Deric

Hi Deric, if I may chime in: I do exactly the same as you, with upmpdcli as the UPnP renderer front end to mpd. On openSUSE Tumbleweed. My setup is perfectly well-behaved.

5 minutes ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Hi Deric, if I may chime in: I do exactly the same as you, with upmpdcli as the UPnP renderer front end to mpd. On openSUSE Tumbleweed. My setup is perfectly well-behaved.

i am also using upmpdcli and mpd on a raspberry pi 4, is there some kind buffer settings in mpd or upmpdcli that needs to be made then?

17 minutes ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Addendum: At least with 1.0.15, 1.0.16 not tested yet.