IGNORED

Article: Wilson Audio Alexia V Full Review

I fully know it’s not about graphs and data when evaluating speakers, but the frequency response chart is a mess for the Alexia V! More than 20dB off! And the high end is a disaster. 
what’s going on? Is your room sh!t or the speakers, or both?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan; but this response chart is horrendous. 

1 minute ago, Surge said:

I fully know it’s not about graphs and data when evaluating speakers, but the frequency response chart is a mess for the Alexia V! More than 20dB off! And the high end is a disaster. 
what’s going on? Is your room sh!t or the speakers, or both?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan; but this response chart is horrendous. 

With all do respect, you’re not looking at what you think you’re looking at. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is my in room response before and after correction. Measurements taken at the listening position. 

This is extremely different from a technical speaker measurement in an anechoic chamber at 1 meter from the speaker. 

My corrected response is near perfect, given how human hearing works. The in room response, is pretty normal. 

47957AAF-8257-4981-B768-D38DD903215D.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Congrats Chris, I'm glad you are happy.
THAT is a major commitment!

And I'm thrilled that you have discovered the thrill of multi channel.
Perhaps we can now, through your enthusiasm, finally lure more people to the dark side. 😉

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

5 minutes ago, DigiPete said:

Congrats Chris, I'm glad you are happy.
THAT is a major commitment!

And I'm thrilled that you have discovered the thrill of multi channel.
Perhaps we can now, through your enthusiasm, finally lure more people to the dark side. 😉

I believe in multichannel so much, that there’s no stopping me now 😁

14 minutes ago, DigiPete said:

It's just so infuriating and frustrating that it's gotta be so expensive and/or finicky to get decent sound in Atmos.

We should hack cheap regular Atmos pre's - just sniff the I2S and convert to AES and S/PDIF.
I wonder how many would be interested in joining a project and churn out some PCB's with 16 channels of conversion.

I could get an Emotiva BasX MC1 (13.2 Channel) and do a prove of concept with available stereo boards
It's not rocket science!
Hmmmm - me and my projects 🙄

There are plenty of manufacturers who could do this, but my guess is they have no clue Atmos music is even a thing. 

So you replaced your 3 year old speakers with the same model revision for $80,000?

That’s a bit of a head scratcher to me.

this website continues to go into the stratosphere of equipment choices.

Are people with your scenario really thinking.. oh yeah I should make the upgrade too?

$80,000 could have been a nice analogue rig addition and a whole collection of media bringing you a lot more choices around mastering of albums.

I think this website is not for me anymore, I’m still back in the computer audiophile world of a computer in my listening room with usb to a simple dac all for under $2,000 and it sounds fantastic.

we are in super mega yacht territory these days.

as a long time follower it’s hard to get excited about these articles Chris.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

4 hours ago, Deyorew said:

So you replaced your 3 year old speakers with the same model revision for $80,000?

Are people with your scenario really thinking.. oh yeah I should make the upgrade too?

$80,000 could have been a nice analogue rig addition and a whole collection of media bringing you a lot more choices around mastering of albums.

I think this website is not for me anymore, I’m still back in the computer audiophile world of a computer in my listening room with usb to a simple dac all for under $2,000 and it sounds fantastic.

I find it interesting even though I'll never do such a system. 

There are also reviews and discussions here of equipment costing only hundreds. Maybe Chris should do one or two more of those, but I don't think the site is only for people spending Mega bucks.

Hope you stay.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, Deyorew said:

Shift the focus of your attention from knowable objects to knowing subject, or your self, and you'll be fine. All objects in you knowing are known equally and cost the same.

Congratulations on your new speakers and an excellent review.  I share your sentiments about Wilson Audio speakers.

I also share your appreciation of immersible formats.  Now that you have completed your review of the Alexia V, it is the time to prod Native DSD to start releasing downloadable material in AURO 3D and Dolby Atlas and to encourage The Spirit of Turtle to up its releases of immersive material. 

Nice review.  Very telling that it is mostly about the music you enjoy.  Sure, the technology gets us there, but the destination is being entranced by great music and sharing it with our loved ones.  I'm interested in what your daughter wants to listen to on the big rig. 😉  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thank you, enjoyed the read this Saturday morning, listening to my Alexias which are doing the Otari reel to reel justice....and the expanding music of The Marshal Tucker Band, all perfect for a Saturday morning.   While my system can do high volume and keep its composure, I believe its best moments are often when asked to fill the listener at lower volume levels.  Thank you again, blessings all.