IGNORED

Article: Wilson Audio Alexia V Full Review

On 9/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Shift the focus of your attention from knowable objects to knowing subject, or your self, and you'll be fine. All objects in you knowing are known equally and cost the same.

Would you care to offer a translation in plain English? 🙂

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review Chris.  I knew it was only a matter of time before our Alexia 2s were superseded.  My head spun quickly as I caught a glimpse of the "V" in the banner ad.  Your dreams certainly have come true if Peter McGrath comes to your home for the setup.  Too bad speakers can't be upgraded ;)

I'd also be interested in a subjective comparison between the Alexia V and the Alexx (pre V).

PS - Yes, pricing is difficult.  D'Agostino has an upgrade for my Momentum amps too, but I went for the Taiko Extreme Server this year, and that's going to be it for me.  Their new custom player software, XDMS, is superlative.

PPS - Play Lotto ;)

• 4 months later...

Been on the same track for a decade.  Alexia to the Alexia II's were a very nice leap.  And I've had the Alexia V's installed about a week ago, and yet another big jump in overall performance.  Both of the last times I heard them at my dealer with Peter presenting.  But it's not until I got them in my own space that I really discovered how big a difference they make in comparison to the prior sonics.  Guess the room and associated equipment and memory account for much of this.

Words to describe what I’m hearing so far:

The Alexia V delivers:

No more clutter…unpacks everything…nothing is hidden..ruthlessly exposes everything, including too close or bad miking in the source

Articulate comes to mind, as does clarity and lifelike decay

The soundscape is more clearly exposed in all three dimensions

Yet the background is quieter than it’s predecessor

Three dimensionality is magnified yet with proper proportionality

There’s a deep bass foundation that effortlessly delivers, when called for with propulsive force

More articulate and dynamic…listening to Senor Mouse with Chick Corea and Gary Burton the instruments are more like the real thing…as are massed voices and an accordion on cuts like “Talk to Me of Mendocino” on Kate and Anna McGarrigle’s “Tell My Sister”.  Like many other instruments played through the V’s, it's more realistically rendered.

Authoritative - especially moving air - think a Joe Frazier body blow

Greater delineation, resolution and accuracy of sounds with a better and more pinpoint soundstage imaging - this midrange is wonderful as is the tweeter.  Seamless and absolutely time coherent presentation throughout

This speaker seems to demand you play the system louder to let it blossom, yet you don’t feel you’re being overwhelmed or swamped in the listening.  And proportionality is maintained throughout the sonic spectrum.

Everything is more realistic…even the audience in live recordings is captured in all manner of varied microphone placements

Net: refined yet mighty!

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates