IGNORED

Axpona 2022

Who is going to Axpona this year? I am just wondering.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

As I will be there with the better half, I was wondering who is going to be there?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I am planning Fri-Sun - I live 30 miles away, so for me driving in will be easy.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 4 weeks later...

I have missed two AXPONA's since it has been in Chicago. My wife and an Audiophile friend like to go and geek out there. That is what we will be doing.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Bring warm weather clothes - it is predicted to hit 80F here on Saturday and 58F and rainy tomorrow. Sunday in the 60s and rain.

In 2019, Chicago was hit with a snowstorm during AXPONA. I remember scraping 6" of snow off my car.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I hope to see peeps there!

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Yesterday I helped Holm Audio setup networking in four roooms.  Today I got to the show early with my friend Tony from "The Three Techs".  We shot video did some interviews.  I got to listen to the RAAL speakers/heaphones/things....  Very nice.  

The Linkwitz Lab 521 speakers sounded really amazing.  There is so much more to do. 

We will be back tomorrow.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@bobfa is there. 

here’s a video from WGN in Chicago. 

Very nice - the car stereo is in a beautiful older Tesla Model S.  Should be quiet enough to appreciate the sound system, even on the road.    Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

1 hour ago, WilliamWykeham said:

First place for me was a tie between MBL and the Avantgarde Trios, although they were mostly playing terrible music on the Trios. Secret is to go into the adjacent room and hear the Unos, where you can play the music you want.  After hearing track 1 from Currentzis’s Marriage of Figaro in that room I’m contemplating buying them. Everyone else who came in was impressed too.

Second place for me is a three way tie between the Wilsons(I think it is the Sasha?) with Moon Audio equipment, Vimbergs, and Volti Rival.  The Wilsons sounded straight up bad on day 1 because the amps hadn’t warmed up; they were standouts on day 2.  Vimberg I had never heard of but they are made by Tidal apparently.  This room was playing classical and other acoustic music. It was fantastic. I’m going to measure my living space when I get home to see if the Volti Rival will fit.  Had never heard horns before this event and I was entranced. And they played 3 classical tracks in a row for me. Meanwhile the new big Klipschs might have been my bottom ranked speakers but the room was always packed.  

Other speakers I found interesting were the Orchestralls, TAD bookshelves, Channel Island R3 (only $4k! Classical sounded pretty good), Harbeths driven by luxman 507, Bayz audio (but I only got to hear bad audiophile music), Scaena (imaging maybe too tall but quite compelling nevertheless), and new TAD floorstanders (good at low volumes).  

Speakers and/or rooms I didn’t connect with: Piega, Muraudio (fell apart once they played classical), Gershman, Stenheim, Malbork, the big Magicos sadly (S5s with vinyl were cool), Salk.

And I almost forgot - I’d have to hear it a few more times, but the Theoretical Bacch-SP (hard to find, I think on floor 15 or 16 at end of hall), makes me want to sell all my audio gear to afford it. Unfortunately the brilliant inventor of that device was giving lengthy explanations on how it works before getting to actual music and only one person at a time can perceive the effect, that person often hogging the space for themselves, but if you can check it out, it’s unlike anything I’ve ever heard. Someone from The Absolute Sound was in the one-person sweet spot and he said it was way better than any multichannel setup he had heard.  

Axpona is where I fell in love with Avantgarde speakers a few years ago. They sounded much better at this venue than the standard room the company uses in Munich. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png