IGNORED

Article: Meitner Audio MA3 Integrated D/A Converter Review

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

wow, how timely !

I got my MA3 earlier this week and absolutely love it... but then you sit and wonder if this is so good should I upgrade to a DV2? An extra  $20K is a big leap when you have no ability to audition. So after this review  I'm sticking with the MA3, at least for now.. maybe wait for somebody to dump a used DV2.

with my last DAC I was preferring Roon with HQP up sampling  and Mitch convolution filters inside HQP  into the DAC via the USB port. Now leaning toward no HQP, using the Mitch filters in Roon and using Ethernet

That's awesome!

With Meitner and EMM DACs, I've found the same thing. I prefer sending audio to them natively (with or without convolutions filters) and have the proprietary DSP upsample to DSD1024. The MA3 is really a great piece.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Cool product and nice review.

Seems like the ideal combination of features to allow one to retire all those other dodads commonly seen in use today leading up to the main Input of the DAC. In this case, assuming one uses the Ethernet Input on the MA3 exclusively.

One question though. Am I understanding correctly that the Eth Input on the MA3 is limited to DSD64 and in order to feed DSD128 you will need to use the USB Input?

4 minutes ago, cjf said:

Cool product and nice review.

Seems like the ideal combination of features to allow one to retire all those other dodads commonly seen in use today leading up to the main Input of the DAC. In this case, assuming one uses the Ethernet Input on the MA3 exclusively.

One question though. Am I understanding correctly that the Eth Input on the MA3 is limited to DSD64 and in order to feed DSD128 you will need to use the USB Input?

Thanks cjf.

You are correct on the sample rate support. The reason is that the Conversdigital Ethernet card only supports DSD64 and 192 kHz max. I'm sure Meitner would support higher on that interface if they could.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am amazed that any DAC manufacturer is willing to put a computer board in a DAC after the disaster that PS Audio had when they did it. I know Chris said that Schitt would not do it because of the update and support problems it would bring. The high-end guys can do it because they can charge enough to cover the ongoing support

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With Meitner and EMM DACs, I've found the same thing. I prefer sending audio to them natively

currently experimenting with and without filters... initial results , very initial, are I prefer without filters. That led me to try the Mconnect iPad app that Meitner recommends, using it with Qobuz  and Tidal instead of Roon. Can't say it is better but the same, and since I am fed up with the quirky issues I experience with Roon as well as paying for the frustration, may be finally dropping Roon. AND you don't need a server as it streams direct from the internet. It also found my NAS 

I used the Roon radio (auto-play) feature a lot as a way to discover new music but for me it keeps going  into a cycle of repeating songs it just played an hour ago. Roon says they are aware and working on it, but I see complaints on their forums going back over 5 years for the same issue so I am giving up on them. Using the Mconnect app you can use the Tidal and Qobuz auto-play feature which tend to repeat the same artists, but not the same songs.

I have hesitated because I will need to rebuild my Roon playlists .. oh well..

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

3 minutes ago, bbosler said:

currently experimenting with and without filters... initial results , very initial, are I prefer without filters. That led me to try the Mconnect iPad app that Meitner recommends, using it with Qobuz  and Tidal instead of Roon. Can't say it is better but the same, and since I am fed up with the quirky issues I experience with Roon as well as paying for the frustration, may be finally dropping Roon. AND you don't need a server as it streams direct from the internet. It also found my NAS 

I used the Roon radio (auto-play) feature a lot as a way to discover new music but for me it keeps going  into a cycle of repeating songs it just played an hour ago. Roon says they are aware and working on it, but I see complaints on their forums going back over 5 years for the same issue so I am giving up on them. Using the Mconnect app you can use the Tidal and Qobuz auto-play feature which tend to repeat the same artists, but not the same songs.

I have hesitated because I will need to rebuild my Roon playlists .. oh well..

When @Marcin_gps releases the JPLAY for iOS app, you'll love it. Full local, Qobuz, Tidal content and works with MA3 great. Also has a JPLAY radio feature. 

17 hours ago, bbosler said:

wow, how timely !

I got my MA3 earlier this week and absolutely love it... but then you sit and wonder if this is so good should I upgrade to a DV2? An extra  $20K is a big leap when you have no ability to audition. So after this review  I'm sticking with the MA3, at least for now.. maybe wait for somebody to dump a used DV2.

with my last DAC I was preferring Roon with HQP up sampling  and Mitch convolution filters inside HQP  into the DAC via the USB port. Now leaning toward no HQP, using the Mitch filters in Roon and using Ethernet

Let me know when you're ready to "dump" your MA3!

I had MA3 on short loan and compared it to the DV2 I had at the time. The MA3 was waaaay brighter and less warm sounding then DV2, sounding more like dCS gear than MSB.

I was disappointed to say at least - I was hoping for a great dCS Bartk alternative (variable volume, Roon Ready Ethernet input) for those that would like a fuller and warmer sound, but it turned out more alike than differen. 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I’m quite happy with my MA3.  It replaced a Berkeley Reference Ser2 MQA.  Both are excellent DACs, but to my ears, in my system, the MA3 had a more natural organic sound, while preserving the detailed sound I got from the Berkeley.  Ergonomically, the MA3 is a more modern, easier to use product with full Roon integration via the Net input, that also sounds great.  Absolutely a home run by Ed and his team.  

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

On 3/4/2022 at 8:52 PM, Elberoth said:

I had MA3 on short loan and compared it to the DV2 I had at the time. The MA3 was waaaay brighter and less warm sounding then DV2, sounding more like dCS gear than MSB.

I was disappointed to say at least - I was hoping for a great dCS Bartk alternative (variable volume, Roon Ready Ethernet input) for those that would like a fuller and warmer sound, but it turned out more alike than differen. 

Hi Elberoth, could you please share with us the rest of the system?

MA3 is not the least bit bright in my system with TAD R1s, that tend to be very sensitive to anything bright.  I would say the treble is the most natural, analogue like that I’ve heard at home.  

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

Awesome review Chris - this is my second experience with Meitner's designs, the first being his DS-EQ1 optical cartridge decoder which I have been using since the better part of early last year. To say that optical cartridges - DS Audio - have recalibrated my thoughts on just what is really possible with analog playback would be akin to saying digital is digital. 

Thus, when I was then presented with the MA3, I knew I would be in for something special, which indeed it turned out to be. The "little" MA3 is an absolutely fabulous all in one DAC/streamer, with sonic qualities far above its price point and in many ways very much similar to the DS-EQ1 sound. Punchy, live, dynamic, resolving, musical... 

Video review in the works... way over due in fact. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hello - purchased this DAC recently to replace my PS Audio Directstream Sr. I am really enjoying it. In my system it is a tad bright but I have tamed that a bit with isolation. But while having that sonic signature it also brings incredible sound stage/timbre/separation of instruments. Instruments just sound right (not to quote a conrad-johnson tag line :D )

Curious about the digital vol level to use when utilizing a preamp. Does everyone using it this way run it full out at 100?

Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

• 1 month later...