IGNORED

Article: Meitner Audio MA3 Integrated D/A Converter Review

Thanks for the great review @The Computer Audiophile. I was considering folding my streamer/DAC/preamp into one unit and the MA3 came up in several threads. Well I just setup my newly acquired used unit, and blown away. One Ethernet cable and done using Roon. 

it replaced my:

Lumin U1 Mini with sbooster LPS

Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC

JCAT USB cable

Custom built Slagle autoformer preamp

i absolutely loved my Audio Mirror DAC (R2R NOS based on AD1865N-K) and tried lots of other dacs, but the MA3 finally beat it. 

one question I had. I use Roon exclusively but just tried Mconnect on iPad. It said there was a firmware update. Current was 3.9.19, what is the latest version? Why can you not find any details online about it? I’m hesitant to upgrade it as I’ve experienced a bricked product before updating firmware and since my MA3 is working fine didn’t want to risk it. 

9 hours ago, Kray said:

Thanks for the great review @The Computer Audiophile. I was considering folding my streamer/DAC/preamp into one unit and the MA3 came up in several threads. Well I just setup my newly acquired used unit, and blown away. One Ethernet cable and done using Roon. 

it replaced my:

Lumin U1 Mini with sbooster LPS

Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC

JCAT USB cable

Custom built Slagle autoformer preamp

i absolutely loved my Audio Mirror DAC (R2R NOS based on AD1865N-K) and tried lots of other dacs, but the MA3 finally beat it. 

one question I had. I use Roon exclusively but just tried Mconnect on iPad. It said there was a firmware update. Current was 3.9.19, what is the latest version? Why can you not find any details online about it? I’m hesitant to upgrade it as I’ve experienced a bricked product before updating firmware and since my MA3 is working fine didn’t want to risk it. 

I am using firmware 3.9.20 with a static IP address for the MA3.

Thanks for the nice writing... I think it will be my next (digital) purchase 🙂
But first, I ask a question: since - if I understand well - all the inputs are "superlatively treated" and therefore also the "USB-media" one: this input could "replace" (for a 2-3 Terabyte library!) another device which is the NAS talking about the Sound Quality*?
(For a "zen" system 😇 assuming that a PRE would not be necessary to buy...)

And therefore: a flash memory (for example a Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1) would be fine or maybe it is even better (write speed etc.) an external SSD such as a Crucial X8?

Thanks a lot from Italy.

L.

* waiting for the JPlay APP 🤗

4 minutes ago, znorter_1 said:

Thanks for the nice writing... I think it will be my next (digital) purchase 🙂
But first, I ask a question: since - if I understand well - all the inputs are "superlatively treated" and therefore also the "USB-media" one: this input could "replace" (for a 2-3 Terabyte library!) another device which is the NAS?
(For a "zen" system 😇 assuming that a PRE would not be necessary to buy...)

And therefore: a flash memory (for example a Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1) would be fine or maybe it is even better (write speed etc.) an external SSD such as a Crucial X8?

Thanks a lot from Italy.

L.

I’ve never tried that port, but am interested to know how well it works and what apps can be used when a drive is connected to it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve never tried that port, but am interested to know...

Ok boss, "there are two of us"... indeed, we hope to be many because flash or SSD (if the latter works) could really eliminate a NAS for 2-3 and maybe 4 Tera, especially for a "second system" which then "second".... ok, we understand each other!
Thank you. I follow you. 😚

Luca

@znorter_1@The Computer Audiophile

I have a 256gb PNY thumbdrive connected to test it out. Depending on the amount of files you have on it, it took it a long time to show up in Mconnect (which I believe is the only way you can access/play from the usb media port), say 2-3 minutes.. I have 90gb of files on it. Maybe quicker with an actual drive connected. Formatted FAT32 - Master Boot Record (from my Mac)

It definitely works, but having to use Mconnect is the pain point. I am now a Roon user and just built a fanless NUC and just connect an external USB SSD to it for my local files in addition to Qobuz. 

22 minutes ago, Kray said:

@znorter_1@The Computer Audiophile

I have a 256gb PNY thumbdrive connected to test it out. Depending on the amount of files you have on it, it took it a long time to show up in Mconnect (which I believe is the only way you can access/play from the usb media port), say 2-3 minutes.. I have 90gb of files on it. Maybe quicker with an actual drive connected. Formatted FAT32 - Master Boot Record (from my Mac)

It definitely works, but having to use Mconnect is the pain point. I am now a Roon user and just built a fanless NUC and just connect an external USB SSD to it for my local files in addition to Qobuz. 

That was my fear. Slowness and being tied to Mconnect. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 hours ago, Kray said:

I have a 256gb PNY thumbdrive connected

Thank you Kray for your feedback...
Let me say -if I'm not wrong- something about the 256gb PNY thumbdrive. It seems to be a very cheap device (up to 80MB /s on port 3.1). First, I mentioned -for example- the Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1 with up to 440MB/sec read and if it will be not the "speed solution", I think that we should put all the blame on Mconnect and try to hope that an external SSD can help us, if it works.
(Or waiting for the Jplay App?)

Can you tell us something about the SQ? Is it "the same" of the other input?
Thanks

L.

2 minutes ago, znorter_1 said:

Thank you Kray for your feedback...
Let me say -if I'm not wrong- something about the 256gb PNY thumbdrive. It seems to be a very cheap device (up to 80MB /s on port 3.1). First, I mentioned -for example- the Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1 with up to 440MB/sec read and if it will be not the "speed solution", I think that we should put all the blame on Mconnect and try to hope that an external SSD can help us, if it works.
(Or waiting for the Jplay App?)

Can you tell us something about the SQ? Is it "the same" of the other input?
Thanks

L.

Thumb drive speed likely won’t matter much in this situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Regarding firmware updates for the MA3, there was a new firmware released around the first of October. It is version 120-132:006. It must be downloaded to the unit’s “Service port” from a Windows computer via a usb-to-rs232 adapter. Meitner’s recommendation is to take it to your dealer but my dealer was able to get the update package from Meitner and email it to me. 

The new firmware allows the option of defeating the volume control (fixed at 100% volume level) for those using a preamp and also affects the playback on 24/176 and up files.

BTW: the “firmware” version that shows up on the MConnect app (ie v3.9.28)  under “Device Setup” is not the firmware version of the MA3 itself but the firmware version of the MConnect app.

2 minutes ago, goodguy said:

Regarding firmware updates for the MA3, there was a new firmware released around the first of October. It is version 120-132:006. It must be downloaded to the unit’s “Service port” from a Windows computer via a usb-to-rs232 adapter. Meitner’s recommendation is to take it to your dealer but my dealer was able to get the update package from Meitner and email it to me. 

The new firmware allows the option of defeating the volume control (fixed at 100% volume level) for those using a preamp and also affects the playback on 24/176 and up files.

BTW: the “firmware” version that shows up on the MConnect app (ie v3.9.28)  under “Device Setup” is not the firmware version of the MA3 itself but the firmware version of the MConnect app.

Mconnect just shows the firmware version of the ConversDigital board I believe. 

I’ve updated my EMM/Meitner products via usb to RS232 before. Not rocket science, but not sure if the company recommends it for customers. 

• 10 months later...

Has anyone ever compared between volume Max at 100 and bypass? Does the sound different, or can you not tell if it is different? 

Also I am using Ethernet feed from Ediscreation fiber box and silent switch connect directly from modem router. Any comparison between good CAT via USB or good streamer aes spdif etc that is better than MA3 streamer or it is not worth doing so stay with what I have. Thank you. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just picked one up, in a word - WOW. Easily the best of the dozen or so dacs that I’ve owned over the years, regardless of topology. The digital volume control is as good or better than LEEDH, which is saying a lot. I would call a great value at full price, and a steal at anything less.

So I’ve had the MA3 for a few days now, spectacular sound but having a minor issue. Using both mconnect and JPLAY for iOS, I’m experiencing frequent dropouts/skips. Never had this issue while using Lumin streamers. Is there any way to address this short of switching to a separate streamer vs using built in streamer card? (Like upgrading switch)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:15 AM, saturdayboy said:

So I’ve had the MA3 for a few days now, spectacular sound but having a minor issue. Using both mconnect and JPLAY for iOS, I’m experiencing frequent dropouts/skips. Never had this issue while using Lumin streamers. Is there any way to address this short of switching to a separate streamer vs using built in streamer card? (Like upgrading switch)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please check network bandwidth. The file is played directly on the streamer, JPLAY app only sends an URL of a track. 

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder