IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

On 8/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

To do DSD1024 on my CAPS Twenty computer, I have to adjust the modulators down from ASDM7ECv2 to something else. I'm listening to DSD256 at ASDM7ECv2 right now will switch to DSD1024 in a bit. 

The PC I'm using is here - 

Thank you for sharing your build. That is a beast of a computer and clean looking. Nice vid too, I like the VU meters a lot. This helps me a lot and gives me some inspiration for a build.🙏

On 8/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Miska said:

Try DSD256 first. For example with:

1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator=ASDM7ECv2

You can then try higher rates. But I'd say it is very good at DSD256.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try it using that combination of filters 👍

On 8/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Miska said:

Try DSD256 first. For example with:

1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator=ASDM7ECv2

You can then try higher rates. But I'd say it is very good at DSD256.

🤯I like!! I couldn't get anywhere near 256 DSD on the filters listed above, but I was able to convert to DSD 64. I noticed more dynamics and more depth right away. When I try DSD 128 it get too choppy. 

Fund a typo on the T+A DAC200 page :~)

The real story is that I'm listening today, blown away by the DAC200, and researching how T+A is managing to obtain this high level of performance. The stumbled upon the typo.

I'm also willing to bet the DAC200 handles 705.6 kHz, rather than stopping at 354.8 kHz (also a typo) for the 44.1 clock. Just a guess. (OK, just tasted it. 705.6 works fine.)

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.28.38 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Fund a typo on the T+A DAC200 page :~)

The real story is that I'm listening today, blown away by the DAC200, and researching how T+A is managing to obtain this high level of performance. The stumbled upon the typo.

I'm also willing to bet the DAC200 handles 705.6 kHz, rather than stopping at 354.8 kHz (also a typo) for the 44.1 clock. Just a guess. (OK, just tasted it. 705.6 works fine.)

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.28.38 AM.png

Dear Chris,

thank you for pointing out these typos on the T+A website.

And yes, you are absolutely correct: the DAC200 doesn't stop at 352.8 kSps, it can handle PCM 705.8 kSps signals as well.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

On 8/14/2022 at 11:05 AM, Allan F said:

I think I found a typo in the above. :~)

I am really looking forward to your review of the T+A DAC200 as it is on a short wish list of DACs below $10,000CAD.

+1
Same here.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris.  Looking forward to receiving mine next week.  Have a really good power cable ready and using an Aurender N20 as the main source.  Quick question - Dave told me today (he's not been there long) that there is a way to control the filter selection from an app.  That would be great.  If you mentioned it in your review I missed it.  Can you confirm?  Thanks

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

14 minutes ago, rom661 said:

Hey Chris.  Looking forward to receiving mine next week.  Have a really good power cable ready and using an Aurender N20 as the main source.  Quick question - Dave told me today (he's not been there long) that there is a way to control the filter selection from an app.  That would be great.  If you mentioned it in your review I missed it.  Can you confirm?  Thanks

That should be a nice combo. I love my N20.

I know T+A has apps, but I don't know of a way to switch the DAC 200 filters with an app. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, rom661 said:

Quick question - Dave told me today (he's not been there long) that there is a way to control the filter selection from an app.

Filters can be controlled in the following ways:

1.) Front panel buttons

2.) IR remote control

3.) IOS or Android APP through MP200 (DAC200 can not be controlled from an APP directly, MP200 needed !)

4.) RS232 (CTRL socket on the rear panel)  If anybody is interested in the RS232 control protocol, just let me know.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

13 hours ago, OE333 said:

Filters can be controlled in the following ways:

1.) Front panel buttons

2.) IR remote control

3.) IOS or Android APP through MP200 (DAC200 can not be controlled from an APP directly, MP200 needed !)

4.) RS232 (CTRL socket on the rear panel)  If anybody is interested in the RS232 control protocol, just let me know.

Thanks.  A long time industry friend vis Madrigal and Classe just came on boar at %+A.  He didn't think it could be done via IR.  Good to hear.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 3:38 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm listening with this "prescription" through the DAC200 now. Sound is stellar. This DAC and HQP are able to pull my focus back to two channel, away from Atmos for the moment. Life is good :~)

Thanks for your excellent review on the DAC200. Certainly made me itchy for an upgrade!! With regards to choice of digital filters, i wonder if it really depends on the genre of music you listen to?
I also started off with the “prescription” dsd256 7ECV2 modulator with Gauss xla @1x and hires LP @nx. It sounds absolutely beautiful for jazz. Recently I am listening to more metal/rock/alternative - ie tonight I listened to The Pineapple Thief’s Nothing But the Truth and are actually finding the gauss long/xla or the linear phase filters a bit “soft”, lacking a bit of “attack”, and much prefer the shorter MP filters……

Perhaps I also have a tube preamp and at the end of the day it’s down to personal preference.

Deric

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jrsub said:

Does anyone know if there is any bit truncation when using reduced variable volume levels to the XLR/RCA ouputs? 

Volume control is analog via gold contact relays in 1dB steps from -90 to 0, look german review: https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/image_hifi_testbericht_serie_200.pdf